Levein - stay or go. New poll (15.9.19)

Swanny17

Craig Levein - stay or go poll (15.9.19)  

1,101 members have voted

1. 1. Quite simple really, do you think Craig Levein should remain at the club or not?

• Yes, he should stay in whatever capacity
    • No, he must go and be relieved of all duties

4 hours ago, Boab said:

Everyone has an opinion, yes, and I think those opinions are based on what we have watched over the last year or so. Whether you think that is valid or not is immaterial. Over 80% of those polled want him gone. I would wager that that poll is in reference to results, not because they think they know any more about football than CL.

They are voting on what they are seeing, not because they can fix it.

I'd guess that's roughly the same percentage as wanted Fergie gone after 2 years at Man U.

• Replies 613
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• GinRummy

• JamboAl

• Sagan

• Blacky87

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

6 minutes ago, Armageddon said:

The only person i would want to replace him is Steven Naismith, if it wasn't him I'd take Robbie back.

Is that because you think only SN or RN could do a better job? 

4 minutes ago, JamboAl said:

I'd guess that's roughly the same percentage as wanted Fergie gone after 2 years at Man U.

Is it? Even roughly?  

2 minutes ago, GinRummy said:

Is that because you think only SN or RN could do a better job? 

They're the only 2 I would trust to slot into the job, I'm not for wholesale changes disrupting the full set up at the club.

Just now, Armageddon said:

They're the only 2 I would trust to slot into the job, I'm not for wholesale changes disrupting the full set up at the club.

Cheers for explaining. 

8 minutes ago, GinRummy said:

Is it? Even roughly?  

I guessed.  Do you know otherwise or is this just another "put down" effort?

Whatever the percentage, they would have thrown the baby out with the bath water if the Board had listened to them.

Can you at least agree on that?

We should be careful what we wish for, sometimes.

1 minute ago, JamboAl said:

Whatever the percentage, they would have thrown the baby out with the bath water if the Board had listened to them.

No I don’t think anybody knows.

Yes I agree, Man U would have regretted sacking fergie.

Scale aside, do you honestly think we are in a similar position?

Dusk_Till_Dawn
8 minutes ago, JamboAl said:

More irrelevance mate.

We_are_the_Hearts
3 minutes ago, GinRummy said:

Tell me that hasn't been mentioned. Fergie had already won League titles, Cups and a European trophy as a manager. And it over 30 years ago lol...........

35 minutes ago, JamboAl said:

Unfair comparison in my opinion. 

38 minutes ago, JamboAl said:

Sir AF was an already successful manager at previous clubs, notably, the sheep, winning a few trophies. Terrible comparison.

16 minutes ago, We_are_the_Hearts said:

Tell me that hasn't been mentioned. Fergie had already won League titles, Cups and a European trophy as a manager. And it over 30 years ago lol...........

Spot on 👍

2 hours ago, GinRummy said:

I didn't claim we were in a similar position.

I said you should be careful what you wish for as you wouldn't want to throw out the baby with the bath water.

1 hour ago, Boab said:

Sir AF was an already successful manager at previous clubs, notably, the sheep, winning a few trophies. Terrible comparison.

The fact he had won titles may or may not have been relevant to the considerations of the United board but the fact remains that there was a sizeable portion (and growing) of MUFC fans who wanted him out after 2 years.

Another slightly unfair comparison - the other way - is that I do not recall Fergie had anything like the casualty list CL has had to contend with.

Just be careful what you wish for.

5 minutes ago, JamboAl said:

I didn't claim we were in a similar position.

I said you should be careful what you wish for as you wouldn't want to throw out the baby with the bath water.

I think I get your meaning. Look beyond the first team and  the club is in a solid position. 

It is almost a year since we have had a really good run of games. Surely there comes a point where it’s stupid not to make a change? Surely we were past that point after the cup final. Months of mostly shit up to that point and better players this season seem to have made little difference. 

We are shit. Surely that’s not even up for debate. Nobody wants to watch one decent performance every ten games. Surely?

(more surely than I intended in one post 🙄😂)

Edited by GinRummy

6 minutes ago, GinRummy said:

I think I get your meaning. Look beyond the first team and  the club is in a solid position. 

It is almost a year since we have had a really good run of games. Surely there comes a point where it’s stupid not to make a change? Surely we were past that point after the cup final. Months of mostly shit up to that point and better players this season seem to have made little difference. 

We are shit. Surely that’s not even up for debate. Nobody wants to watch one decent performance every ten games. Surely?

(more surely than I intended in one post 🙄😂)

So are you surely in denial that surely injuries to key players could have had an effect on the standard of play surely?

Surely you must be.

1 minute ago, JamboAl said:

So are you surely in denial that surely injuries to key players could have had an effect on the standard of play surely?

Surely you must be.

😂 surely no? 

I think you can trace it back to the Naisy injury though. Seemed to leave us horribly exposed. We just looked like nothing without him. 

I agree injuries play a part and have played a part but we were still left with sides that looked better than most of our opponents on paper. Yet when match day came we failed time and again. 

Look, my problem with levein is simple. A managers job is to get the best out of his players. By and large levein has failed to do that and should be emptied. 

I get you you are a true believer and think there has always been a reason or excuse or circumstance to excuse the latest bad result. I just don’t agree. 

8 minutes ago, GinRummy said:

😂 surely no? 

I think you can trace it back to the Naisy injury though. Seemed to leave us horribly exposed. We just looked like nothing without him. 

I agree injuries play a part and have played a part but we were still left with sides that looked better than most of our opponents on paper. Yet when match day came we failed time and again. 

Look, my problem with levein is simple. A managers job is to get the best out of his players. By and large levein has failed to do that and should be emptied. 

I get you you are a true believer and think there has always been a reason or excuse or circumstance to excuse the latest bad result. I just don’t agree. 

19 posts a day for 4 weeks, you're fair hammering JKB.

29 minutes ago, JamboAl said:

The fact he had won titles may or may not have been relevant to the considerations of the United board but the fact remains that there was a sizeable portion (and growing) of MUFC fans who wanted him out after 2 years.

Another slightly unfair comparison - the other way - is that I do not recall Fergie had anything like the casualty list CL has had to contend with.

Just be careful what you wish for.

It must have been a consideration. He was a proven manager and that must have been a factor in keeping him on.

CL is none of that and will not turn this round.

Bookmark this if you please. 

I’m fed up with Levein’s nepotism. He wanted Neilson he got him, he wanted Cathro he got him, he wanted Daly and he would of been the new man in charge if Ann Budge hadn’t promised the fans the next manager would be experienced. So there was no other experienced manager in the world good enough and we end up with the man who was the king maker, the man who always said he didn’t want the managers job. The whole thing is about control.

Lord Beni of Gorgie
19 minutes ago, GinRummy said:

😂 surely no? 

I get this. And I get the bit in bold. There have been reasons, not excuses but reasons why things could never hit the heights we had hoped for. But like yourself, I also believe it could be better.

The question I ask myself, is there someone who would have been available, who could have met our circumstances (continuity is important, ripping it all up is just as expensive and way more if you don't get it right).

Sacking him on one hand would not be a gamble, results have been so poor, but employing someone new, almost certainly is loaded with risk. Ann Budge is conservatism personified, and that is simply an observation not a criticism.

Replacing him, just leaves me in so much doubt, mid season. I wouldn't offer a new contract, and at this point we should be looking at a named successor in May 2020, and not a patsy.

Edited by Sir Gio

4 hours ago, JamboAl said:

As usual you are confusing what people are saying with what you want to think.

Previously I have said we were top of the league before the injury crisis took hold.  That is an indisputable fact which should not be confused with what people think about keeping CL or not keeping him.  You and your cronies are making this unnecessary link to suit your negative agenda.  Would we have stayed at the top?  Who knows but I'd guess we would have finished maybe 3rd or 4th if the likes of Haring, Naismith Uche, Berra etc had been able to play more games, instead of being out for long spells.  Would any other manager have fared better under these demanding conditions?  At best that could only be a matter of opinion but the cost of replacing CL and co  will always be a high risk strategy.  If replacements were made and did not produce relative success, that would be thousands down the drain that could be better utilised on  better players.

As regards budgets these are important but not the sole determinant.  You must read behind the figures.  In our case we may have had a bigger budget (if you mean turnover) than others but a good proportion of that was earmarked for other things as we rebuild the club on and off the pitch.  You need to look at the respective PLAYING budgets and in our case that figure will be well short of our overall budget.  Even when looking at playing budgets there is no strict criteria eg some managers may use their budget wisely while others do less so.   Some could use their budgets very wisely and the players flop (Man U with Pogba and Sanchez who looked excellent buys on paper) or they get injuries which either stops them playing or reduces their effectiveness like has happened with us.

To sum up, there is no "one size fits all" or one set of golden rules that guarantee success.   If there were evryone would be following them.

Hearts have the finances its just not the correct way or time to chuck it at the squad. January is more suited to strengthening so we persever until we know what we have. Yes its frustrating 

19 minutes ago, Sir Gio said:

I get this. And I get the bit in bold. There have been reasons, not excuses but reasons why things could never hit the heights we had hoped for. But like yourself, I also believe it could be better.

The question I ask myself, is there someone who would have been available, who could have met our circumstances (continuity is important, ripping it all up is just as expensive and way more if you don't get it right).

Sacking him on one hand would not be a gamble, results have been so poor, but employing someone new, almost certainly is loaded with risk. Ann Budge is conservatism personified, and that is not an observation not a criticism.

Replacing him, just leaves me in so much doubt, mid season. I wouldn't offer a new contract, and at this point we should be looking at a named successor in May 2020, and not a patsy.

All very good points and I absolutely see there are risks. I guess in the your first paragraph it comes down to opinion, how well we should’ve done given the injuries. I think most would agree we should’ve done better than we have.

What it comes down to for me is, the first team is playing so badly  and I have so little confidence in that changing that I’m at the stage where I think risks just have to be taken. Everyone’s  breaking point is different and some fans have loyalty to CL because he’s been there since Budgement Day but the club will do fine without him (in the long term if maybe not short term). Maybe the new guy would be worse. Who knows, but it’s a chance surely worth taking.

Edited by GinRummy

21 hours ago, JFK-1 said:

Me too and reached it to the stage that I believe replacing Levein during this crucial period would be not just pointless but even potentially disastrous for numerous reasons his familiarity with the squad just one of them. The season now has to be seen out with Levein at the helm.

Results have been improving even in the current circumstances so all things being equal I would expect them to further improve when we ever get an easing of this injury list disaster.

This is not a typical season for me. The OF are possibly even further ahead of the rest of the league as they have ever been and will likely both finish 20+ points ahead of third.

And to make it even more difficult I feel that in this season the rest outside those two are about as evenly matched as they have possibly ever been.

This is a result of the general lack of money in the Scottish game. No one outside the OF has a transfer budget worth the label which has an end product of everyone shopping in the same market.

The OF in the recent transfer window spent a combined £28.53 million while the other 10 clubs spent a total of 480K which comprised Doidge to hubz for 320K and 160K for Ojo to sheep. That's less than 1.65% of the total league spend so is scarcely worth even including.

It means the league outside OF operates in a freebie market based largely in the lower English leagues and that gets you a relatively close equivalence in quality across the league which sees the likes of Aberdeen being held to a draw at home against bottom club St Johnstone.

These freebie players are freebie for a reason. No one at the level they're playing wants them or wants to pay what they think they should get.

That being said Hearts can still pay a bit more than most of the rest and currently have a number of players who would be considered above that level capable of pulling million pound plus transfer fees missing due to injury and I feel that's the key to everything at this time.

That little edge required to get a positive result most of the time against most of the league in this currently remarkably closely matched league outside the OF.

Only an easing of the injury crisis can solve this and while not being some fan boy of Levein overall I feel changing managers at this stage could be disastrous. I doubt anybody else could do as well as he could once this injury crisis does begin to ease.  

Absolute nonsense. Didn’t Hibs just draw with Celtic?? As for sticking with Levein, it’s pointless as his recent record is abysmal. Injuries is a feeble excuse for the mind numbing football we have had to watch.

30 minutes ago, Boab said:

It must have been a consideration. He was a proven manager and that must have been a factor in keeping him on.

CL is none of that and will not turn this round.

Bookmark this if you please. 

It might have been but that doesn't alter the fact that they, rightly as it turns out, ignored the fans wishes.

I shall bookmark nothing you post, thanks.

46 minutes ago, GinRummy said:

😂 surely no? 

Ah that helps your cause to label people, does it?

I am not necessarily a believer nor a non-believer in the sense you infer.

What I believe is that last season we were top of the league before serious longish-term injuries (to key players) struck and derailed our season.  That curse has continued and I feel it is a little unfair to castigate the management in the light of this.

When we get together a semblance of our strongest team I shall cast my judgment on CL and co.

3 hours ago, Prof said:

Absolute nonsense. Didn’t Hibs just draw with Celtic?? As for sticking with Levein, it’s pointless as his recent record is abysmal. Injuries is a feeble excuse for the mind numbing football we have had to watch.

Just because you don't understand the game it doesn't make it mind numbing for the rest of us.

(mod delete)

6 minutes ago, JamboAl said:

It might have been but that doesn't alter the fact that they, rightly as it turns out, ignored the fans wishes.

I shall bookmark nothing you post, thanks.

As I said, terrible comparison.

2 minutes ago, JamboAl said:

Ah that helps your cause to label people, does it?

I am not necessarily a believer nor a non-believer in the sense you infer.

What I believe is that last season we were top of the league before serious longish-term injuries (to key players) struck and derailed our season.  That curse has continued and I feel it is a little unfair to castigate the management in the light of this.

When we get together a semblance of our strongest team I shall cast my judgment on CL and co.

Fair comment regarding labelling people. 

Where we differ is that I think CL has had strong enough teams at his disposal to do way, way better than he has. I’ve seen enough to have a strong opinion that he should resign whereas you think it’s unfair to judge until he has, something resembling, his strongest side available.

Psychedelicropcircle

If CL the DOF was dealing with a manager who’s record was the same & who’s name was something other than CL he’d be gone! 

Zero credibility. 

Guest ToqueJambo
5 hours ago, GinRummy said:

Where we differ is that I think CL has had strong enough teams at his disposal to do way, way better than he has. I’ve seen enough to have a strong opinion that he should resign whereas you think it’s unfair to judge until he has, something resembling, his strongest side available.

He did very well with his strongest side, made of players he mostly recruited as manager. I lost my patience with Levein after the Well game, although the Hibs and Aberdeen games were encouraging, but it's not that mad to imagine that Levein could do well with this squad when we have most of our best players available again. 

It's also worth pointing out that it's possible we we wouldn't be talking about Aaron Hickey the way we are if Levein had left when some wanted him to. New managers, especially ones from outwith the club or Scottish game, tend not to place their faith in youngsters, especially not in the early days of their job. Heckingbottom, for example, seems to be completely ignoring Hibs youth.

Although a commitment to youth is a must for any new manager we get, and Daly and McPhee as caretakers could have brought Hickey in, so it's still possible he could have broken through. However, if Hickey does end up being a star we'll have a lot to thank Levein for.

7 hours ago, GinRummy said:

He has - when he has had a semblance of his best team which in the last year has been never.

Do you get some pleasure out of running down the club or are you.....?

6 hours ago, JamboAl said:

He has - when he has had a semblance of his best team which in the last year has been never.

Do you get some pleasure out of running down the club or are you.....?

Craig Levein and his coaches aren’t the club. 

Once again, CL hasn’t done as well as he should with the players at his disposal. To be clear I mean even allowing for the injuries he hasn’t got the best out of the players he has had available. 

As for thr bit at the end.  Most hearts fans want rid of CL. Your default position of accusing or hinting that anybody who disagrees with you must be hibs may have a few flaws. 

Edited by GinRummy

19 hours ago, luckydug said:

I'm probably an undecided voter on CL.

On the one hand results and performances have been dire for the last

year.

However we have been decimated with injuries and on paper we have a very decent squad.

I really would like to see what an injury free (for the most part) Hearts team could achieve.

A new manager possibly with his own coaching staff would cost an absolute fortune in new contracts and paying off old ones.

I feel that we would end up shopping in the same 'unwanted seconds' market for a manager as we have to do for players. 

I also feel that plans may already be in place for CL to hand over the first team management at the end of the season when both CLs contract ends and FOH aquire majority shareholding.

I listened to Steven Naismith on Radio Scotland last night. He said it's the worst (Injuries) he's ever been involved with  in his entire career. He also said every single player is behind CL.

I'll go with that, for the minute. 

Edited by ri Alban

The Real Maroonblood
18 hours ago, Boab said:

Levein is a tactical genius.

2 hours ago, GinRummy said:

Craig Levein and his coaches aren’t the club. 

Once again, CL hasn’t done as well as he should with the players at his disposal. To be clear I mean even allowing for the injuries he hasn’t got the best out of the players he has had available. 

As for thr bit at the end.  Most hearts fans want rid of CL. Your default position of accusing or hinting that anybody who disagrees with you must be hibs may have a few flaws. 

Most Man U fans wanted rid of Fergie.

2 minutes ago, JamboAl said:

Most Man U fans wanted rid of Fergie.

ok AL.

I'll just leave it at that. Been a nice chat though. Thanks

Edited by GinRummy

GorgieFifeLife
2 hours ago, ri Alban said:

I listened to Steven Naismith on Radio Scotland last night. He said it's the worst (Injuries) he's ever been involved with  in his entire career. He also said every single player is behind CL.

I'll go with that, for the minute. 

About time Naismith stopped talking and actually showed he is worth the 4 year deal he was given.  All this talk of the players being behind the manager is a waste of breath.  The fans want results and a style of play not endless soundbites.

Dusk_Till_Dawn
1 minute ago, GorgieFifeLife said:

About time Naismith stopped talking and actually showed he is worth the 4 year deal he was given.  All this talk of the players being behind the manager is a waste of breath.  The fans want results and a style of play not endless soundbites.

We’d win the title by Easter if talking a good game earned you points.

GorgieFifeLife
2 minutes ago, Dusk_Till_Dawn said:

We’d win the title by Easter if talking a good game earned you points.

Yep, just wish the players would stop talking and get on with performing.  The fact the players all like him could work against him as he might not be showing a hard enough streak in him.  Nice and soft is not always a winning strategy.

Dusk_Till_Dawn
18 minutes ago, GorgieFifeLife said:

Yep, just wish the players would stop talking and get on with performing.  The fact the players all like him could work against him as he might not be showing a hard enough streak in him.  Nice and soft is not always a winning strategy.

It’s tricky because if players don’t speak they get criticised for hiding. Hard balance. But I’d like to see them pulled up on the fact they hardly ever deliver on what they say

40 minutes ago, GorgieFifeLife said:

So they shouldn't do press interviews, even though it's a requirement. 

What is the alternative?

Cut The Crap
18 hours ago, GinRummy said:

😂 surely no? 

This is where I am.

With Naismith we are are challenging for third. He bangs his knee, or tweaks his hamstring or hip and suddenly we are fighting relegation.

There has to be something in between, surely? If the manager has made his strategy so reliant on one - let's face it - injury prone player, it's a clear failure on his part. 

Edited by Cut The Crap

17 minutes ago, Cut The Crap said:

This is where I am.

With Naismith we are are challenging for third. He bangs his knee, or tweaks his hamstring or hip and suddenly we are fighting relegation.

There has to be something in between, surely? If the manager has made his strategy so reliant on one - let's face it - injury prone player, it's a clear failure on his part. 

Very well put.

18 hours ago, Noah Claypole said:

Just because you don't understand the game it doesn't make it mind numbing for the rest of us.

(mod delete)

Like most of your posts, Wrong again.Having played a lot of football and coached teams albeit at amateur level, I think if can safely say I understand football. Instead of acting as chief cheer leader for Levein, why don’t you you write a post explaining how Hearts have under performed since last October. Bearing in mind that even Levein doesn’t believe that the injuries are the reason for our mind numbing football.

GorgieFifeLife

Keep it straight to the point with one word answers and get out. Their here to play football not spout to the press.

1 hour ago, Prof said:

Like most of your posts, Wrong again.Having played a lot of football and coached teams albeit at amateur level, I think if can safely say I understand football. Instead of acting as chief cheer leader for Levein, why don’t you you write a post explaining how Hearts have under performed since last October. Bearing in mind that even Levein doesn’t believe that the injuries are the reason for our mind numbing football.

I suspect your only experience is on the Xbox, you certainly post like it is.

I love watching Hearts, absolutely adore it, it's the only reason I work these days so that I can afford it. 

Underperformed, what a load of old media speak bullshit, my eyes tell me all I need to know about how we play. I enjoy it. 

If it was mind numbing I wouldn't bother, wouldn't be getting my frillies in a twist about it either, they day I fall out of love with watching Hearts is the day I croak.