*****New Craig Levein Poll 31/08*****

Whatever

*****New Craig Levein Poll 31/08*****  

1,302 members have voted

1. 1. Should craig Levein....

• Remain in position as head coach and director of football
    • Leave/be removed from his role as head coach but remain at the club as Director of football
    • Leave/be removed from his role as director of football but remain at the club as head coach
    • Leave/be removed from the club completely

26 minutes ago, Paulp74 said:

I cant believe that he isnt either away yet or some sort of statement from the board/levein, to recognise they are aware fans have had enough.

Obviously hoping it will blow over.... until the next crap performance/defeat, then again, then again. 

Its shocking to be honest. No respect for the fans anymore. 

The silence is deafening.Someone from the board should be addressing this,must be full of happy clappers.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Thomaso

• Pasquale for King

• 1874robbo

• Jambo-Fox

1 hour ago, mitch41 said:

The list of Hearts supporters who have managed or played at the highest level know more about managing Hearts than Ann Budge.

And they know Levein should be sacked as manager.

So you need to be an ex player/manger to know that he’s not getting the best out of this team and we are shit to watch? Hmmmmmmmm

i think you better keep away from every thread then if you need to be an expert on the content of said threads.

25 minutes ago, ford donald said:

The silence is deafening.Someone from the board should be addressing this,must be full of happy clappers.

bet the board address budge as queen Ann or her majesty. Levein needs to go its the 1 thing everyone agrees on and she's ignoring us. The whole board needs replaced if he is still manager for the next game.

30 minutes ago, Herbert said:

bet the board address budge as queen Ann or her majesty. Levein needs to go its the 1 thing everyone agrees on and she's ignoring us. The whole board needs replaced if he is still manager for the next game.

I hope our FOH reps on the board are making it clear also

6 hours ago, Nookie Bear said:

To be honest, trying to suggest anyone wants rid of Levein just because of this season is barking up the wrong tree. 

The apologists clutching at the very last straw.

4 hours ago, Martin_T said:

She knows infinitely more about managing Hearts than the Hearts supporters and I say that as a CLexiteer.

Did she not say herself she knows nothing about the football side? If she doesn’t think Levein is going to erode a lot of the good work achieved then she knows less than I thought.

4 hours ago, Martin_T said:

She knows infinitely more about managing Hearts than the Hearts supporters and I say that as a CLexiteer.

She barely knows who reports to who in the organisation. 

Guest ToqueJambo

I still think Levein can turn our form around (although it's more hope these days) as he has built a good squad, but whether it happens at xmas or end of the season I'm inching towards supporting either a clean break being best for all parties with either Levein mentoring McPhee as our next DoF or him going back upstairs with a very clear remit of what he needs to do..... plus a new head coach being lined up for xmas if results and performances haven't improved. Robbo, with Naismith being primed as next in line, or someone of the experience and calibre of Freedman or Boothroyd if it's true we were looking at them before. I'd be happy to see if Neilson would come back too, but I think he's got a pretty good job right now with a lot of potential after the D Utd takeover and would be surprised if he came back this soon.

Edited by ToqueJambo

3 minutes ago, ToqueJambo said:

I still think Levein can turn our form around (although it's more hope these days) as he has built a good squad, but I'm inching towards supporting either a clean break being best for all parties with either Levein mentoring McPhee as our next DoF or him going back upstairs with a very clear remit of what he needs to do..... plus a new head coach being lined up for xmas if results and performances haven't improved. Robbo, with Naismith being primed as next in line, or someone of the experience and calibre of Freedman or Boothroyd if it's true we were looking at them before. I'd be happy to see if Neilson would come back too, but I think he's got a pretty good job right now with a lot of potential after the D Utd takeover and would be surprised if he came back this soon.

Next year will be a huge year in the history of the club. If the timetable goes as I hope, we will be managed by someone who is not at the club right now, does not answer to someone who is at the club right now.....oh, and be owned by the fans.

Big Santa list but there it is !

Guest ToqueJambo
5 minutes ago, Boab said:

Next year will be a huge year in the history of the club. If the timetable goes as I hope, we will be managed by someone who is not at the club right now, does not answer to someone who is at the club right now.....oh, and be owned by the fans.

Big Santa list but there it is !

I don't think we'll promote from within either. I still like the DoF model though. It worked with Neilson. I just worry that we are being managed or coached by committee right now.

We need one strong personality and voice to be in charge of the first team. It's becoming clear (to me anyhow, maybe others saw it sooner) that Levein doesn't have that aura anymore, maybe because of his dual role or the faith he puts in his coaches and his desire to develop coaches. He certainly doesn't transmit that aura in his interviews. He never wanted to be a manager again and sometimes that shows.

The coach development thing, while admirable, should be put on the back burner for me. I think players need one strong head coach/manager leading them not a gaggle of coaches and different voices - if that is how we're being coached.

Edited by ToqueJambo

1 minute ago, ToqueJambo said:

I don't think we'll promote from within either. I still like the DoF model though. It worked with Neilson. I just worry that we are being managed or coached by committee right now.

We need one strong personality and voice to be in charge of the first team. It's becoming clear (to me anyhow, maybe others saw it sooner) that Levein doesn't have that aura anymore, maybe because of his dual role or the faith he puts in his coaches and his desire to develop coaches. He certainly doesn't transmit that aura in his interviews. He never wanted to be a manager again and sometimes that shows.

The coach development thing, while admirable, should be put on the back burner for me. I think players need one strong head coach/manager leading them though not a gaggle of coaches and different voices - if that is how we're being coached.

Like a few, I am only a recent critic of the situation at the club. I hoped it would get better but have resigned myself to the fact that it is not going to work and should be scrapped.

I agree about his appointment as coach. It was mental really in hindsight. 

If there is to be a change, and I think it should happen now, the coaches should go too.

1 hour ago, 1874robbo said:

So you need to be an ex player/manger to know that he’s not getting the best out of this team and we are shit to watch? Hmmmmmmmm

i think you better keep away from every thread then if you need to be an expert on the content of said threads.

From ex managers/players right down to primary school kids know Levein must be sacked because it's murder watching Hearts.

Going by this poll on here (other polls on other social media forums are about the same) 90%+ want him removed from at least the managers position.

What in God's name is the argument for keeping him in this role?

What is Ann and the boards thinking behind this?

2 minutes ago, Gambo said:

Going by this poll on here (other polls on other social media forums are about the same) 90%+ want him removed from at least the managers position.

What in God's name is the argument for keeping him in this role?

What is Ann and the boards thinking behind this?

The social media bampot theory is probably the reason.

I don't need to explain.

6 minutes ago, Herbert said:

feels like it's a case of my ball my rules with Ann. 

Put it this way she is a very strong single minded woman.

58 minutes ago, Cruickshank for Scotland said:

Put it this way she is a very strong single minded woman.

That's going to cost her the support of more and more fans the longer she let's levein drag us down.

StevenNaismith

Ann is not a stupid woman, she knows that the fans are the heartbeat of the club and isn’t going to ignore them for long.

There was a meeting today, I obviously don’t know the ins and outs of it but I’d be very surprised if changes aren’t happening soon, especially if results don’t change.

I know that Ann won’t want to lose CL from the club but he’s a very proud man and I’m not sure if he would want to remain should he be relieved of his duties as first team manager.

2 minutes ago, StevenNaismith said:

Ann is not a stupid woman, she knows that the fans are the heartbeat of the club and isn’t going to ignore them for long.

There was a meeting today, I obviously don’t know the ins and outs of it but I’d be very surprised if changes aren’t happening soon, especially if results don’t change.

I know that Ann won’t want to lose CL from the club but he’s a very proud man and I’m not sure if he would want to remain should he be relieved of his duties as first team manager.

No way Levein will leave of his own free will.

I forecast a future statement will come out that he is standing down as head coach due to “health reasons” and he will return to his role as DoF, with Austin McCann appointed as head coach.

None of it good news for the future of our Club!

Captain America
23 minutes ago, Cruickshank for Scotland said:

I forecast a future statement will come out that he is standing down as head coach due to “health reasons” and he will return to his role as DoF, with Austin McCann appointed as head coach.

Doubt Austin McCann would be considered. Has he even done any coaching since retiring few years back?

10 minutes ago, Captain America said:

Doubt Austin McCann would be considered. Has he even done any coaching since retiring few years back?

Good point!!!  🙈

Edited by Thomaso

37 minutes ago, Cruickshank for Scotland said:

He scored that one good goal v Celtic but it doesn't justify giving him the managers job. 😜

4 minutes ago, Paulp74 said:

He scored that one good goal v Celtic but it doesn't justify giving him the managers job. 😜

Wrong Austin.......mind you could do a job! 🤔

Guest ToqueJambo
39 minutes ago, Cruickshank for Scotland said:

I wouldn't bet on McPhee being our next head coach. He might be interim/caretaker again but he's more likely to be our next DoF. Budge is on record as saying when Levein got the job "I didn't want to take a risk with a young, relatively inexperienced person coming in again." McPhee would be a Cathro level risk - no high level playing or management experience and even less high level coaching experience than Cathro. Why would she take that risk again?

We'll go for someone more experienced IMO - at the very least experienced at playing if not management leaving the door open for someone like Naismith - but either way someone willing to take the squad that's been assembled, add to it and still promote youth. I just hope we start picking up results so she can take her time finding someone. The last thing we want is a panic appointment.

10 minutes ago, ToqueJambo said:

I wouldn't bet on McPhee being our next head coach. He might be interim/caretaker again but he's more likely to be our next DoF. Budge is on record as saying when Levein got the job "I didn't want to take a risk with a young, relatively inexperienced person coming in again." McPhee would be a Cathro level risk - no high level playing or management experience and even less high level coaching experience than Cathro. Why would she take that risk again?

We'll go for someone more experienced IMO - at the very least experienced at playing if not management leaving the door open for someone like Naismith - but either way someone willing to take the squad that's been assembled, add to it and still promote youth. I just hope we start picking up results so she can take her time finding someone. The last thing we want is a panic appointment.

McPhee as DoF and Naismith as player/coach........interesting 

11 hours ago, Cruickshank for Scotland said:

McPhee as DoF and Naismith as player/coach........interesting 

Or the old Alex McDonald / Sandy Jardine partnership.  Neil McCann / Steven Naismith 

Or A.N.O. / Naismith ?

23 hours ago, upgotheheads said:

would have 

it's just the way we gadgys are. of this and of that and i canny see whats yer problem.

But i've edited it for your convenience.

Hire someone external from the club. 

Why do we need to keep looking at ex players? Current coaches aren't good enough either. 

Clear as day. Why would you recruit such a crucial role from such a small pool of candidates?!

45 minutes ago, Jambo_Gaz said:

Hire someone external from the club. 

Why do we need to keep looking at ex players? Current coaches aren't good enough either. 

Clear as day. Why would you recruit such a crucial role from such a small pool of candidates?!

100 percent this. It's glaringly obvious.

Guy is a professional bullchitter and always talks about how things will/could improve. 

Edited by Smoked-Glass

1 hour ago, kimosavi said:

The worry for me is that John Daly gets the Gig 

It's not really, though, is it?  You're just saying that for something to say that you feel illustrates the 'mad way' things are being run.

If the Board (ie not just Ann Budge) decide that Levein's time is up, there is no way that they will give the job to Daly.  If it stays in a current employee's hands, it'll be McPhee.

19 hours ago, Herbert said:

I bet they 100% don't. 

It should have been ten
33 minutes ago, sadj said:

This place gets more insane every day 😂

Place is a bomb scare. Fan owned they say 🤦🏻‍♂️

3 hours ago, mitch41 said:

it's just the way we gadgys are. of this and of that and i canny see whats yer problem.

But i've edited it for your convenience.

I've just had a feeling of déja-vu all over again. You posted the same thing about 24 hours ago.

37 minutes ago, It should have been ten said:

Place is a bomb scare. Fan owned they say 🤦🏻‍♂️

Indeed , aye i pay ma fifteen quid and i dinna like Clare , Berra , Naismith , Washington , Uche , (insert every other player here) so i want them sacked , i don’t like that we have to play Rangers and Celtic away so i want that stopped or im stopping paying likesay. I don’t like the SFA rules on behaviour in the stadium so im gonna ignore it cause i own Hearts. I dinna like we do (insert revenue stream over £180 profit a year here) so unless its stopped your no (<- spelling correct to demographic) getting my money. 

It should have been ten
21 minutes ago, sadj said:

Indeed , aye i pay ma fifteen quid and i dinna like Clare , Berra , Naismith , Washington , Uche , (insert every other player here) so i want them sacked , i don’t like that we have to play Rangers and Celtic away so i want that stopped or im stopping paying likesay. I don’t like the SFA rules on behaviour in the stadium so im gonna ignore it cause i own Hearts. I dinna like we do (insert revenue stream over £180 profit a year here) so unless its stopped your no (<- spelling correct to demographic) getting my money. 

In a nutshell mate 💯 

1 hour ago, upgotheheads said:

I've just had a feeling of déja-vu all over again. You posted the same thing about 24 hours ago.

Groundhog day.

Lord Beni of Gorgie
3 hours ago, Smoked-Glass said:

Guy is a professional bullchitter and always talks about how things will/could improve. 

Imagine if he came on, don't fancy our chances of beating Hamilton this weekend. See these youth players, they are all shit as well. Cant see a future for this club. What would we make of that?

Fortunately for him first time at Hearts and then Dundee United it did get better, sometimes it doesn't, that's life, being an optimist doesn't make you a bull chitter chatter

This is a really informative video on what a Director of Football is supposed to do and IMO gives us criteria to measure against.

1. To ensure continuity and sustainability creation and implementation of a long term strategy

2. To protect the clubs short term financial sustainability through the prevention of squad overhauls during managerial change

3. To oversee the various aspects of the footballing department (Sports science, academy, scouting etc)

4. To create and implement a philosophy on how football will be played at the club

- There may be more, but those are what I took from the video (feel free to add)

I'm really not sure how effective Levein is doing this tbh. Looking specifically at points 1 & 2 we can see how categorically he's failed in this regard. 70 separate players in his tenure as DOF resulting from numerous squad overhauls. Neilson's overhaul after promotion, Cathros overhaul, Leveins overhaul to fix Cathros mess.. There has been little continuity on this side whatsoever. Managers should be recruited to suit Leveins style of player, if Cathro was similar to Neilson there wouldn't have needed to have been a squad overhaul and likewise if Levein was similar to Cathro he'd not needed to have changed the squad. The managers in both cases have clearly been given too much freedom (IMO) with recruitment. The style of play should suit the academy grads as clearly that is why we have invested £4m since Levein took control - to promote the kids, so why, pray tell, are we not recruiting players who can play as the academy kids do? IMO Andy Irving has shown more mettle in his handful of games than the likes of Kenny Anderson. Bozanic, Martin, Lee... the list goes on. 

Budge herself has said how disorganised Levein is, which is hugely worrying for someone who is running the most central department the club has..

Perhaps someone like FF who follows the youth teams can answer this but there is a consistent style of play to how the kids play, right? Thats why we brought in Box Soccer?  Thats why when Hickey got sent off, posters were saying Levein wouldn't be too angry because the academy kids are instructed to be aggressive in their pursuit of winning the ball back. So why do we have ball playing kids coming through, yet we insist on playing long bangers most games? It actually makes my head hurt. The kids we have coming through are good and can play football, yet the style of play isn't suited to them. I don't understand, can he not get the senior players? 

I think the clearest question with regards to philosphy is what style are we trying to go for? Possession based? Pressing? Counter attacking? - Winning isn't a style and its a wishy washy non-answer. What way are we trying to play?

I'm genuinely not trying to trash the guy. He's brought us back from the state vlad left us in, but I'm starting to wonder if he's taken us as far as he can and its maybe time for him to step back and help pick a new DOF.

16 minutes ago, OTT said:

This is a really informative video on what a Director of Football is supposed to do and IMO gives us criteria to measure against.

1. To ensure continuity and sustainability creation and implementation of a long term strategy

2. To protect the clubs short term financial sustainability through the prevention of squad overhauls during managerial change

3. To oversee the various aspects of the footballing department (Sports science, academy, scouting etc)

4. To create and implement a philosophy on how football will be played at the club

- There may be more, but those are what I took from the video (feel free to add)

I'm really not sure how effective Levein is doing this tbh. Looking specifically at points 1 & 2 we can see how categorically he's failed in this regard. 70 separate players in his tenure as DOF resulting from numerous squad overhauls. Neilson's overhaul after promotion, Cathros overhaul, Leveins overhaul to fix Cathros mess.. There has been little continuity on this side whatsoever. Managers should be recruited to suit Leveins style of player, if Cathro was similar to Neilson there wouldn't have needed to have been a squad overhaul and likewise if Levein was similar to Cathro he'd not needed to have changed the squad. The managers in both cases have clearly been given too much freedom (IMO) with recruitment. The style of play should suit the academy grads as clearly that is why we have invested £4m since Levein took control - to promote the kids, so why, pray tell, are we not recruiting players who can play as the academy kids do? IMO Andy Irving has shown more mettle in his handful of games than the likes of Kenny Anderson. Bozanic, Martin, Lee... the list goes on. 

Budge herself has said how disorganised Levein is, which is hugely worrying for someone who is running the most central department the club has..

Perhaps someone like FF who follows the youth teams can answer this but there is a consistent style of play to how the kids play, right? Thats why we brought in Box Soccer?  Thats why when Hickey got sent off, posters were saying Levein wouldn't be too angry because the academy kids are instructed to be aggressive in their pursuit of winning the ball back. So why do we have ball playing kids coming through, yet we insist on playing long bangers most games? It actually makes my head hurt. The kids we have coming through are good and can play football, yet the style of play isn't suited to them. I don't understand, can he not get the senior players? 

I think the clearest question with regards to philosphy is what style are we trying to go for? Possession based? Pressing? Counter attacking? - Winning isn't a style and its a wishy washy non-answer. What way are we trying to play?

I'm genuinely not trying to trash the guy. He's brought us back from the state vlad left us in, but I'm starting to wonder if he's taken us as far as he can and its maybe time for him to step back and help pick a new DOF.

Excellent post. 

For me, he has succeeded in the 3rd criteria only. 

8 hours ago, Haken said:

It's not really, though, is it?  You're just saying that for something to say that you feel illustrates the 'mad way' things are being run.

If the Board (ie not just Ann Budge) decide that Levein's time is up, there is no way that they will give the job to Daly.  If it stays in a current employee's hands, it'll be McPhee.

Nope

I've met him a few times and i think he's a bit of a prick to be honest and if you are to believe rumours he's no liked amongst the young players also 

End of story. Full stop 

6 hours ago, Sir Gio said:

Imagine if he came on, don't fancy our chances of beating Hamilton this weekend. See these youth players, they are all shit as well. Cant see a future for this club. What would we make of that?

Fortunately for him first time at Hearts and then Dundee United it did get better, sometimes it doesn't, that's life, being an optimist doesn't make you a bull chitter chatter

Just saying that it's his style no matter how the results go.  He's doing badly just now. 

8 hours ago, kimosavi said:

Nope

I've met him a few times and i think he's a bit of a prick to be honest and if you are to believe rumours he's no liked amongst the young players also 

End of story. Full stop 

Well, you've not always been the most accurate with rumours over your time here.  Pinch of salt stuff.

"End of story.  Full stop" :qqb006:

11 hours ago, OTT said:

Very good, reasoned post.  Wouldn't disagree with any of it.