Ticket prices

muldoon74

So it's my birthday next week and as I don't get many chances (work hours) to go to games I haven't been in a while. 

I've asked my step kids for a few quid so I can go to the Hamilton game on the 31st. Between them they usually come up with enough for ticket, few beers pre and post match and train fare.. It's what I like for my birthday rather than getting some novelty pish or other stuff I don't really want.. 

However, I've looked at ticket prices for this game ad have to say I think someone's taking the piss.... Wheatfield stand £34. Gorgie Road end, £29. I mean FFS! Would expect to pay that for Hubz or Weegies but Hamilton??! 

As I said, I don't get to many games due to work etc so have to pick my games carefully.  Hamilton lands on my first Saturday off in last four and happens to be first Saturday after my birthday. 

I'm still going to try and go (Love a few pints of 80/. before a game) but just thought it worth mentioning that ticket costs are ****ing ridiculous and that the peoples game is no longer reasonably affordable for the people. 

• Replies 200
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• davemclaren

• JamboAl

• muldoon74

• Robbo-Jambo

I wouldn't pay that either  its £21 in a bronze section.  I usually book in H lower but sit elsewhere

Edited by jb66
Add info

Just now, jb66 said:

I wouldn't pay that either  its £21 in a bronze section

Correct and you can take a stroll round the stadium checking the view from other seats/areas as well 😜

2 minutes ago, Nookie Bear said:

The pricing is disgraceful. 

Can only echo this. A lot of people live on fine margins, this isn't affordable. I think for a lot of folks any chance of taking their kid to a game or two a month just halfed. 

I love what Budge has done for the club in so many ways but I'm dead set against this ridiculous pricing structure. A hell of a lot of fans are digging deep each month and their response to that is to raise the prices further? Not on I'm afraid. 

If demand is outstripping supply and thats her justification then we need to seriously consider further expansion. Fans shouldn't be getting priced out, particularly with the drivel thats getting served up at the moment. 

6 minutes ago, jb66 said:

I wouldn't pay that either  its £21 in a bronze section.  I usually book in H lower but sit elsewhere

I just priced J lower, £21. 

Generally I like to sit higher up but may well buy a lower section ticket and have a look about when I get there and sit higher up if there are empty seats available. 

I'm gonna have a look at other lower sections as H/J the views aren't too great from previous experience.. 

6 minutes ago, OTT said:

Can only echo this. A lot of people live on fine margins, this isn't affordable. I think for a lot of folks any chance of taking their kid to a game or two a month just halfed. 

I love what Budge has done for the club in so many ways but I'm dead set against this ridiculous pricing structure. A hell of a lot of fans are digging deep each month and their response to that is to raise the prices further? Not on I'm afraid. 

If demand is outstripping supply and thats her justification then we need to seriously consider further expansion. Fans shouldn't be getting priced out, particularly with the drivel thats getting served up at the moment. 

So if demand is outstripping supply, their answer is to make it more expensive?? This says to me, don't know about anyone else, it says we can charge what we like so screw you... 

Such a high demand at higher prices shows that lower pricing won't change the availability so they can guarantee sell outs. Price too high people will say **** that, you're taking the piss. 

I'm not getting all whimsical and nostalgic, I don't expect a return to lifting kids over the turnstiles etc.. But for my wee birthday treat and bit of me time I'm looking at £60/£70 easy. Return train ticket £6, match ticket £21-£34 depending.. few beers, chips or whatever, £30... Actually add in a new wee pin badge for my scarf at probably £3-£4... 

Even if my step kids/grandkids/nephews were interested in going, it's a non starter. To take my two nephews I'd be looking at £200 for the day. 

Money and club greed have destroyed the match day experience... 

2 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

As others say, buy the cheapest tickets and sit elsewhere. Loads in hospitality areas in Main Stand. 

Seriously considering this.. ;)

JamboCampbell

Agree with all of that, absolute daylight robbery based on people being so in Love with scottish football/ Hearts.

1 minute ago, muldoon74 said:

So if demand is outstripping supply, their answer is to make it more expensive?? This says to me, don't know about anyone else, it says we can charge what we like so screw you... 

Such a high demand at higher prices shows that lower pricing won't change the availability so they can guarantee sell outs. Price too high people will say **** that, you're taking the piss. 

I'm not getting all whimsical and nostalgic, I don't expect a return to lifting kids over the turnstiles etc.. But for my wee birthday treat and bit of me time I'm looking at £60/£70 easy. Return train ticket £6, match ticket £21-£34 depending.. few beers, chips or whatever, £30... Actually add in a new wee pin badge for my scarf at probably £3-£4... 

Even if my step kids/grandkids/nephews were interested in going, it's a non starter. To take my two nephews I'd be looking at £200 for the day. 

Yeah man, thats what I'm saying, if there is more demand for tickets than we have seats then Budge no doubt has put the prices up, however, we're a fan owned club (pretty much) with an emphasis on community, these prices don't reflect those values for me at all and I think its pretty disrespectful to expect fans to cough up that sort of money, especially when so many do dig deep every month. 

I think if demand is so high then we do need to look at making the stadium bigger. I think its disgraceful to need to spend easily north of £100.

Needs must, I understand that but questions need to be asked of Budge during the AGM to at least clarify her reasoning for these prices. 

4 minutes ago, muldoon74 said:

Seriously considering this.. ;)

It’s a no brainer, mate.

The bronze tickets should be sold out at every home game. 

If the club are charging the prices they are, then people will buy cheap and sit further up if the weather is crap....or for a better view.

2 minutes ago, OTT said:

Yeah man, thats what I'm saying, if there is more demand for tickets than we have seats then Budge no doubt has put the prices up, however, we're a fan owned club (pretty much) with an emphasis on community, these prices don't reflect those values for me at all and I think its pretty disrespectful to expect fans to cough up that sort of money, especially when so many do dig deep every month. 

I think if demand is so high then we do need to look at making the stadium bigger. I think its disgraceful to need to spend easily north of £100.

Needs must, I understand that but questions need to be asked of Budge during the AGM to at least clarify her reasoning for these prices. 

Tin hat on but I do get the impression that she sees Hearts as a business first and football club second. 

Yes I know she is a highly successful business woman who has put a considerable amount of her own cash into the club. If the pricing structure is a strategy for her to partially recoup her investment quicker then I say trust in hearts and the fans,.. Sensible pricing will recoup that investment in good time. It's not like she's gonna run out of Moet anytime soon so a sensible pricing structure will help keep people onside and not turn them off... 

It was only when they announced the new prices for individual games that I decided to renew my season ticket.

I think they have got the pricing structure wrong as we are not selling out. The aim should be to fill three stands plus two (or three) sections of the Roseburn so we can get back to only giving a couple of sections at most to away fans.

Clearly results on the park make a difference to the crowd but I think our "walk up" supporters have been hit hardest by the price increases and they are voting with their feet.

3 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

Dynamic pricing 

But too hard for people to do well 

What is dynamic pricing?

I understand dynamic tension and dynamic risk assessments but don't know about this.. 

I'd put a limited number (say 1,000) at £15 max. We don't to price people out and for them to lose the habit/interest.

Just now, muldoon74 said:

Tin hat on but I do get the impression that she sees Hearts as a business first and football club second. 

Yes I know she is a highly successful business woman who has put a considerable amount of her own cash into the club. If the pricing structure is a strategy for her to partially recoup her investment quicker then I say trust in hearts and the fans,.. Sensible pricing will recoup that investment in good time. It's not like she's gonna run out of Moet anytime soon so a sensible pricing structure will help keep people onside and not turn them off... 

I can't honestly disagree. I do think Budge is trying to help us build something, and unfortunately ticket sales are our primary income so if we can raise that by 5/10% its massive. I don't think its the right way to go about it though. If she had been transparent about it and why the prices are going up, I think i'd be a lot more in agreement, but its pure guess work. It could be to get her money back faster, it could be to get Levein a bigger budget. There are a million reasons why, but she's given us nothing to work with. 

As I say, hopefully someone asks the question so we can hear her thoughts and justification. Personally I think the idea of charging £70+ to go to the football with your kids is unreasonable and offputting. It seems totally at odds with the idea of us being a family club.  

2 minutes ago, muldoon74 said:

What is dynamic pricing?

I understand dynamic tension and dynamic risk assessments but don't know about this.. 

Prices are set relating to demand. So with a lot of spare seats we could set tickets at say £20 from now. If there are good sales price could go back up before game. 

Annoys people but it is normal say for flights and hotels. 

1 minute ago, gnasher75 said:

It was only when they announced the new prices for individual games that I decided to renew my season ticket.

I think they have got the pricing structure wrong as we are not selling out. The aim should be to fill three stands plus two (or three) sections of the Roseburn so we can get back to only giving a couple of sections at most to away fans.

Clearly results on the park make a difference to the crowd but I think our "walk up" supporters have been hit hardest by the price increases and they are voting with their feet.

Are there many "walk up" supporters now? TBH, if I could have a season ticket and attend games I would have. However I can't, my jobs have always entailed a large amount of being available for weekends. When you start to add up the cost, a walk up day at the football pretty soon becomes a bit of an extravagance. 

I'd love to get up on a Saturday off and think "**** it, we're at home today, think I'll go".. it's just not practical for the vast majority of normally paid, blue collar working people. 

3 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

Prices are set relating to demand. So with a lot of spare seats we could set tickets at say £20 from now. If there are good sales price could go back up before game. 

Annoys people but it is normal say for flights and hotels. 

OIC... So as tickets become more scarce, the price increases..? Am I understanding that right? 

If that's an option why not make it like hotels, flights, trains etc.. The earlier you book the cheaper you get it..? Say 3 months in advance it's £15... 2 months in advance £20... and so on... that could work. It would give the club more working capital earlier by selling lots of tickets in advance.. The thing is though it would continue as tickets for games 4 months down the line would be monitored by customers (fans?!) and bought again earlier.. giving more working capital at a time when the club would normally not be expecting it (on todays model).. I might be completely wrong, I'm no economist, but it could surely be food for thought.. 

My youngest (6) decided a couple of years ago his team was Ipswich Town - a bit random I know!! Anyway I’ve taken him to a few games and the prices vary but are nowhere near £34!

Hull (A) Champ £12 each

Preston (A) Champ £24 for me £2 for my son.

Bolton (A) Lge1 £20 for me £10 for my son - albeit it may not go ahead!! 

He he has been to Tynecastle a few times as well! 

I like going to games abroad for this reason. Obviously doesn't compare to the famous but been to games in Czech, Germany, Poland, match tickets £9-£13 and the food, beer options are on another level. All round value far superior

Captain Canada

The prices are too expensive for walk-ups. There's no point in having thousands of empty seats at games and people sat at home wishing they could be there. 

Scottish football is not a great product and going to the games is a habit. I know quite a few people who can only go once every couple of months because of the cost. 

I don't have all the answers but a seat sold at say £10/15 is surely better than it not being sold at all. Especially if that person/people are then able to attend regularly over a number of months and years. 

It just seems a bit short-sighted to be pricing people out of games. The club does so much brilliant work in the community but there's undoubtedly a large number of fans that can't afford to go and watch the team they love. 

It's a real shame and once people are out of the habit of going with their kids for example, we're then potentially losing a proportion of the next generation of supporters. 

Walk up prices are ridiculous. 

I guess the view was encourage people to renew season tickets and perhaps a false view that the demand will still be there to sell out every home game. 

Clearly not going to be the case with the form shown over the last 8 months. Of course our form can change and people might flock back but we have to assume pricing comes down next season for walk ups.  

scott herbertson
22 minutes ago, muldoon74 said:

Are there many "walk up" supporters now? TBH, if I could have a season ticket and attend games I would have. However I can't, my jobs have always entailed a large amount of being available for weekends. When you start to add up the cost, a walk up day at the football pretty soon becomes a bit of an extravagance. 

I'd love to get up on a Saturday off and think "**** it, we're at home today, think I'll go".. it's just not practical for the vast majority of normally paid, blue collar working people. 

It's the same at most clubs to be fair

Worth doing what I do and get a Roseburn season ticket  - £200 for I make it 13 games before the split  = £15.40 a game - even less if there are home games after the split against lesser teams or aberdeen

It would be nice if the club would consider cheaper walk up prices though, I do agree.

2 minutes ago, Captain Canada said:

The prices are too expensive for walk-ups. There's no point in having thousands of empty seats at games and people sat at home wishing they could be there. 

Scottish football is not a great product and going to the games is a habit. I know quite a few people who can only go once every couple of months because of the cost. 

I don't have all the answers but a seat sold at say £10/15 is surely better than it not being sold at all. Especially if that person/people are then able to attend regularly over a number of months and years. 

It just seems a bit short-sighted to be pricing people out of games. The club does so much brilliant work in the community but there's undoubtedly a large number of fans that can't afford to go and watch the team they love. 

It's a real shame and once people are out of the habit of going with their kids for example, we're then potentially losing a proportion of the next generation of supporters. 

This is the problem with Scottish football though, if we're charging say £34 a ticket and drop down to say £15 thats like a 40% drop. Spread that across the season and the impact on our primary source of cash would be devastating.

I want Budge to stand up and say Doncaster isn't doing enough to sell Scottish football. We all know he's doing a god awful job and any half decent league has more of a reliance on Commercial incomes than ticket revenue. His ineptitude is hitting fans right in the pocket. To have the chairperson and owner of Scotlands third largest club say he's not fit for purpose would hopefully open the chance to usher someone in with genuine credentials and vision.  

1 minute ago, jambobob61 said:

Long time since your pint was 80/. mate, be about £4.50 a pint now! Enjoy as you will probably hate the footie on show!

£2.80 (I think) in the Tynecastle Arms during the cup final.. Bloody lovely it was too.. Albeit the ending was a bit shit.. :( 

City centre I believe its up at about the £4.50 mark.. ridiculous considering its made a mile as the crow flies from where its being served! 

Captain Canada
2 minutes ago, OTT said:

This is the problem with Scottish football though, if we're charging say £34 a ticket and drop down to say £15 thats like a 40% drop. Spread that across the season and the impact on our primary source of cash would be devastating.

I want Budge to stand up and say Doncaster isn't doing enough to sell Scottish football. We all know he's doing a god awful job and any half decent league has more of a reliance on Commercial incomes than ticket revenue. His ineptitude is hitting fans right in the pocket. To have the chairperson and owner of Scotlands third largest club say he's not fit for purpose would hopefully open the chance to usher someone in with genuine credentials and vision.  

I totally get what you're saying and agree about Doncaster. 

A £34 seat is only any good if someone buys a ticket for it though. For example, if we have 1,000 empty £34 seats against Hamilton, is it not better to sell them for £15 and make £15k plus any catering cash rather than just have supporters sitting at home? 

I accept it's not easy and undercutting season ticket prices for walk-ups wouldn't be popular at all. There is definitely a better solution than what we have just now though. 

I saw the tickets for the league cup game against Aberdeen were £20 for adults, is that right? If so, it seems odd that it's cheaper than watching us play Hamilton. 

3 minutes ago, Captain Canada said:

A £34 seat is only any good if someone buys a ticket for it though. For example, if we have 1,000 empty £34 seats against Hamilton, is it not better to sell them for £15 and make £15k plus any catering cash rather than just have supporters sitting at home? 

I accept it's not easy and undercutting season ticket prices for walk-ups wouldn't be popular at all. There is definitely a better solution than what we have just now though. 

I saw the tickets for the league cup game against Aberdeen were £20 for adults, is that right? If so, it seems odd that it's cheaper than watching us play Hamilton. 

This bit. 

A seat might be £34 but if there isn't an arse on it it's making the square root of **** all. 

Sold at £15 it's already made £15 and the potential for kiosk, programme sales.. All adds up.

Empty seats don't buy programmes and pies. 

3 minutes ago, jambobob61 said:

Your maths is about as bad as mine, 10% of £34 is £3.40, 40% is £13.60, i.e. £20.40 per ticket, where does that fit with your elastic £15???

Scottish football should simply ban English football coverage via the EBC, via SKY England and via TRFCBT unless a fair and proportionate amount of subscription and licence fees are handed to the Scottish game!

:D I just realised I did £15 not £19 :P regardless the hit would be north of 40% which is significant!

I like that idea, take full control of highlights ourselves and see what we can come up with. Personally would like to see an online version released and money gained via ads. I think perhaps having a chopped down version and an extended version you could watch at your own leisure would be a welcomed site over that wee creep Sutherland. Plus if it was ad based on the internet I think we could reach a much wider audience. 

6 minutes ago, Captain Canada said:

I think the flip side is, one ticket sold at £34 is better than two sold sold at £15. Its ridiculous and just underlines the point we're too reliant as a league on ticket sales. 

Aren't cup games generally cheaper than league matches? Either way, I agree. To pay through the nose to watch a turgid game of the shittiest football known to man against Hamilton ****ing accies defies belief.

1 hour ago, muldoon74 said:

I don't disagree that the prices are a joke, however, the ticket is potentially only 1/3 of your expenditure for the day so not sure all the blame can be laid on the club.

20 minutes ago, jambobob61 said:

Long time since your pint was 80/. mate, be about £4.50 a pint now! Enjoy as you will probably hate the footie on show!

Pint of 80/_ in Dickens is £3.20

53 minutes ago, Notts1874 said:

All football is overpriced.

This. £36 to watch Colchester play Luton has been the worst for me ... thirty six pounds ffs! Ex partners step dad asked me if I wanted to go with him and then didn’t offer to pay - no wonder why 😂

7 minutes ago, Taffin said:

I don't disagree that the prices are a joke, however, the ticket is potentially only 1/3 of your expenditure for the day so not sure all the blame can be laid on the club.

See where you're coming from but 1/3 of the expenditure on a 1 part is still the main reason I'm going. The rest of the expenditure is accumulative over several premises.... 

3 minutes ago, King prawn said:

This. £36 to watch Colchester play Luton has been the worst for me ... thirty six pounds ffs! Ex partners step dad asked me if I wanted to go with him and then didn’t offer to pay - no wonder why 😂

Wow....I just thought I would point out that that it isn't just Hearts related....Burton Albion is still decent.....£20 for the terrace

4 minutes ago, muldoon74 said:

See where you're coming from but 1/3 of the expenditure on a 1 part is still the main reason I'm going. The rest of the expenditure is accumulative over several premises.... 

That's kind of what I mean. The main thing you're going for is quite a small part of what you're spending. To go to the football could cost you £21 + £6 on the train.

27 quid for transport and the match is still a lot for Scottish football but I wouldn't say it's prohibitively expensive given you're willing to pay the same again for beer and chips.

The main issue is that £21 should get you a pretty good seat, not the worst ones imo. £25 should be the max that a walkup ticket costs and gold should be about £20.

Like I say I don't disagree that the tickets are far too much, I just don't agree with people saying it's not obtainable for normal people given you can get a ticket for less than 3 hours work at the minimum wage.

Howdy Doody Jambo

It's the future business we will lose going forward, shocking walk up prices, surely not too late to put right 

If fans get out of the habit of going because of the added expense, it will be much more difficult attracting them back 

When club's get TV money it is never given back to the fans in reduced ticket prices 

These prices are not encouraging families to attend regularly when you factor in travel, food, etc 

1 hour ago, Gorgiewave said:

I'd put a limited number (say 1,000) at £15 max. We don't to price people out and for them to lose the habit/interest.

A whole section of tickets are available for £21 which seems reasonable enough. An adult and an u16 ticket works out at £29. If you take one child to Edinburgh zoo, it works out £29 as well. Take one of your kids to see Justin Bieber or Taylor Swift £100 plus. We just live in a more expensive world. It's £10 a ticket to go to ****ing Cineworld to see a movie now, double that to see Hearts is a bargain!

1 hour ago, muldoon74 said:

How much did you expect to pay for a ticket? Surely not less than £21? 

The more expensive walk up prices add value to and reward season ticket holders. These season ticket holders are the core of the support and provide the vast majority of the clubs ticketing revenue. 

Edited by Mr Elwood P

3 minutes ago, Taffin said:

That's kind of what I mean. The main thing you're going for is quite a small part of what you're spending. To go to the football could cost you £21 + £6 on the train.

27 quid for transport and the match is still a lot for Scottish football but I wouldn't say it's prohibitively expensive given you're willing to pay the same again for beer and chips.

The main issue is that £21 should get you a pretty good seat, not the worst ones imo. £25 should be the max that a walkup ticket costs and gold should be about £20.

Like I say I don't disagree that the tickets are far too much, I just don't agree with people saying it's not obtainable for normal people given you can get a ticket for less than 3 hours work at the minimum wage.

See what you're saying but I wouldn't be going for the beer, chips, train ride etc if I wasn't going to the game. 

I could spend £27/£30 quid in my local and take advantage of their free sky sports on big screen,.. Club gets **** all out of that match day experience, yet thousands upon thousands have that as their Saturday. 

Like I said, it's a day out. A very rare day out where I can let go of the shite of every day life and watch my team, have a few beers and generally let go for a bit. 

When you say you can get a ticket at 3 hours work on minimum wage are you considering tax and national Insurance in that? I honestly don't believe that minimum wage workers can go every week and have a fulfilling experience as all they'll get is the game. End of. No food, drink etc. Just the game and then **** off home, by foot because you're on minimum wage.

2 hours ago, jb66 said:

This. 

Just move seats when the game starts. Usually more than a few empty seats and as long as your not pished etc nobody bothers.

enjoy

3 minutes ago, muldoon74 said:

See what you're saying but I wouldn't be going for the beer, chips, train ride etc if I wasn't going to the game. 

I could spend £27/£30 quid in my local and take advantage of their free sky sports on big screen,.. Club gets **** all out of that match day experience, yet thousands upon thousands have that as their Saturday. 

Like I said, it's a day out. A very rare day out where I can let go of the shite of every day life and watch my team, have a few beers and generally let go for a bit. 

When you say you can get a ticket at 3 hours work on minimum wage are you considering tax and national Insurance in that? I honestly don't believe that minimum wage workers can go every week and have a fulfilling experience as all they'll get is the game. End of. No food, drink etc. Just the game and then **** off home, by foot because you're on minimum wage.

I didn't to be fair. Let's call it 3.5 hours.

Would you say it was still too expensive if the whole day out was £40 instead of £60?

45 minutes ago, muldoon74 said:

This bit. 

A seat might be £34 but if there isn't an arse on it it's making the square root of **** all. 

Sold at £15 it's already made £15 and the potential for kiosk, programme sales.. All adds up.

Empty seats don't buy programmes and pies. 

That may well present a problem for those who have season tickets though. If your theory is brought in then I’m a bit pissed off . 

Dont get me wrong , I’m not having a go at all but there has to be a balance. A £15 walk up price over 18 games is a lot less than I pay for my ST 

3 minutes ago, jambobob61 said:

Min wage around £9 per hr, you still have to pay for your digs/ food etc as that doesn't go away, so £40 is a serious expenditure for a stupid footie ticket etc for some!!!!!!!!!!!!! If you earn a lot more, imagine spending 4 times your hourly rate for the keek we watch!

Agree, however to make the OPs day out  £40 the club would have to reduce the ticket price to £1 so they can't really win.