Ticket prices

muldoon74

6 minutes ago, 1971fozzy said:

That may well present a problem for those who have season tickets though. If your theory is brought in then I’m a bit pissed off . 

Dont get me wrong , I’m not having a go at all but there has to be a balance. A £15 walk up price over 18 games is a lot less than I pay for my ST 

If you buy a season ticket I presume you are aware of your working hours, availability to attend games etc in advance. 

I don't in my work. This is why walk ups are so important for those of us who don't know in  reasonable advance of when they can attend. Am I to buy a season ticket just to help the club and not get the benefit of attending? No of course not. Nobody in their right mind would expect that of normal , hard working, shift working individuals. 

£15 over 18 games might be less than your season ticket but it's not going to be bought by the same person week in week out. Season ticket benefits people who can attend regular-100% .. That seat that's empty week in week out to the left/right of you.. club could get £15 for that every week. Plus pies etc... Making season tickets cheaper in future because the stadium is fuller more regularly..... 

What I'm trying to say is that the inflated prices for walk ups/individual tickets is, IMO, detrimental to the club long term. I, and many others, can't afford it. The club should be attracting fans, not turning them off by inflated prices. 

for what it's worth, I think season tickets are over priced aswell.. 

It has been alluded too earlier in the thread that Doncaster et al are seriously negligent in marketing the game up here. This has a massively detrimental effect on prices in the game. Seriously shite TV = Pricier entry fees for the lifeblood of the game. i.e. the ordinary fans, be them season tickets, occasional attenders or walk ups. 

• Replies 200
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• davemclaren

• JamboAl

• muldoon74

• Robbo-Jambo

I should know the answer to this but is there a way to “give back” your season ticket for a particular game to the club so they can sell it for a knockdown price?

I have a season ticket but can’t attend quite frequently. Sometimes manage to give it to someone but as I’m based in the west it’s not always possible

Clark Griswold

Was at a game in Moscow recently and it cost £13 a ticket, cheap Metro to and from the ground from anywhere in the city centre, cheap wee Wrap thing and a water at half time. All

in about £20 for the day (add about a tenner more for a good few pre match pints). 

Byyy The Light

Think the OP is at the wind up to be honest. Having said that I personally I think season ticket prices are too high.

Season ticket holders should get a right good saving and other wee bonuses like free drink with a pie and discount for hospitality.  Better to have 17,000 season ticket holders not giving too much of a feck and feeling good than 13,000 folk grudgingly paying and feeling they’re getting taken for granted

And the rest in the humpty cos they’re paying over the odds to walk up in order to justify the price of a season ticket

Edited by Byyy The Light

It should have been ten
3 hours ago, CJGJ said:

Correct and you can take a stroll round the stadium checking the view from other seats/areas as well 😜

:naughty:

Seymour M Hersh
7 hours ago, Noah Claypole said:

Shite thread. 

Shite thread.

And 

Shite thread.  

After careful consideration I'll venture this is a shite post. 

6 hours ago, everton_jambo said:

I should know the answer to this but is there a way to “give back” your season ticket for a particular game to the club so they can sell it for a knockdown price?

I have a season ticket but can’t attend quite frequently. Sometimes manage to give it to someone but as I’m based in the west it’s not always possible

Yea think you can email the club (they won't sell it for a knockdown price though!)  No point in doing it anyway, plenty seats free to choose from.  Only worthwhile doing when it's a sell out.

Clerry Jambo
1 hour ago, Seymour M Hersh said:

After careful consideration I'll venture this is a shite post. 

Beat me to it Seymour 

The Internet

It does seem overpriced but I mean it's just the economy isn't it, Scottish clubs need to charge these prices to make sure they've got enough money coming in. It's not like they're doing it for a laugh. I'm sure if they were able to sell tickets at a fiver they'd do it but it wouldn't be sustainable. A better TV deal might bring prices down. And I'm not sure they can arbitrarily set 1000 seats at £15 as those 1000 seats likely have the same views and everything as a lot of other seats, so they'd then need to bring the price down for all those other ones or you've got folk paying more for essentially the same seat. 

Agreed home tickets are overpriced. My gripe is why should they be full price when a match is televised?

So you fork out for your ST or a single ticket to watch us play in December. There's usually 5 games that month (Doncaster is a twat) and you've got Santa competing with your wallet as well. The game is midweek so you fight the extra Xmas traffic to get home first and then back out there and there's a howling wind sand blasting your tammie. You get out of Gorgie's Siberia by diving into the pub. Although its warm it is rammed as everyone else has the same idea. You then face the risk of gooly frostbite in the stands watching Willie Collum gift wrapping a dodgy penalty to the other team. With icicles dripping from your beak you negotiate the icy pavements like bambi all the way back to your bus stop using your swinging Hearts scarf as a counterweight to avoid falling. But someone else is sitting in a nice warm house or pub in comfort - yet you pay full whack. 

kingantti1874

You can’t blame the clubs, they reduce prices, turnover goes down, the level of player goes down, the fans moan, the gates drop.. it’s that simple. 

the real problem is the lack of outside investment in the league.

1 hour ago, Longshanks said:

Yea think you can email the club (they won't sell it for a knockdown price though!)  No point in doing it anyway, plenty seats free to choose from.  Only worthwhile doing when it's a sell out.

Cheers

7 hours ago, Clark Griswold said:

Was at a game in Moscow recently and it cost £13 a ticket, cheap Metro to and from the ground from anywhere in the city centre, cheap wee Wrap thing and a water at half time. All

in about £20 for the day (add about a tenner more for a good few pre match pints). 

I assume this is a post in support of Hearts pricing? Minimum wage in Russia is about a tenth of minimum wage in UK. So by that measure Hearts are far more affordable to the low paid worker that football in Moscow.

Some amount of garbage on this thread.

- If you are spending more that 50% of your match day cost on items other than the match day ticket then a few pounds off your ticket price isn't going to make a meaningful difference to the overall price of your day.

- Budge isn't charging high prices to pay herself back quicker. She is getting paid back by FOH income not club income. The reason for trying to maximise ticket revenue is to try and maximise club income so there is more money to spend on the team. It isn't some secret plot.

- You can't undercut season ticket prices with walkup ticket prices on the grounds that it will be different people each week, because season ticket holders would just stop buying season tickets and pay at the gate every week.

- Dropping prices doesn't result in an increase in seat sales that makes up for the lost revenue. Clubs have tried it and clubs have failed. Fans are just not that price sensitive.

- You don't deserve a discount on ticket prices because you make an FOH donation. That is not how it works. If you can't afford both, stop your FOH donation and go to the game. No one will criticise you and club will get just as much money.

Prices are set in an attempt to maximise revenue. If you want lower prices, what you are arguing for is Hearts to lose revenue. So the statement you really need to be making is "I want ticket prices to be lower and as a result am happy for the club to have less to spend on players and finish lower in the league." That would at least be honest.

Alternatively you could go and start a thread in the Shed to complain that you don't like capitalism.

Does anyone genuinely believe that a football club’s first course of action when receiving cash, say from an improved TV deal, will be to reduce ticket prices?

Reducing ticket prices won’t even be on a board meeting agenda.

As for requesting that walk up prices are £15 (lower than your ST per game)? Wow, just wow!

I’d like to see a cap on away pricing like there is in England. I believe it’s £30 down there, so £20 up here should just about do it. A similar maximum charge for ST holders of both clubs involved (maybe up that to £30 as some games are huge and could be sold out several times over) to gain entry to cup ties.

For walk-ups who attend as often as possible there could be a loyalty card. You could pay £30 for your first game of the season, £29 for your next, £28 for your third and so on, down to a minimum price of £20. If you found you were able to attend all 19 home games that would total £435 if my calculations are correct. Not much more than a Gold ST, but essentially it is more as it just has to be. 

Edited by Shaggy2

The Treasurer
29 minutes ago, Saint Jambo said:

I assume this is a post in support of Hearts pricing? Minimum wage in Russia is about a tenth of minimum wage in UK. So by that measure Hearts are far more affordable to the low paid worker that football in Moscow.

- If you are spending more that 50% of your match day cost on items other than the match day ticket then a few pounds off your ticket price isn't going to make a meaningful difference to the overall price of your day.

- Budge isn't charging high prices to pay herself back quicker. She is getting paid back by FOH income not club income. The reason for trying to maximise ticket revenue is to try and maximise club income so there is more money to spend on the team. It isn't some secret plot.

- You can't undercut season ticket prices with walkup ticket prices on the grounds that it will be different people each week, because season ticket holders would just stop buying season tickets and pay at the gate every week.

- Dropping prices doesn't result in an increase in seat sales that makes up for the lost revenue. Clubs have tried it and clubs have failed. Fans are just not that price sensitive.

- You don't deserve a discount on ticket prices because you make an FOH donation. That is not how it works. If you can't afford both, stop your FOH donation and go to the game. No one will criticise you and club will get just as much money.

Prices are set in an attempt to maximise revenue. If you want lower prices, what you are arguing for is Hearts to lose revenue. So the statement you really need to be making is "I want ticket prices to be lower and as a result am happy for the club to have less to spend on players and finish lower in the league." That would at least be honest.

Alternatively you could go and start a thread in the Shed to complain that you don't like capitalism.

Good post with some very valid points.

Football is expensive, no-one is disagreeing with that, but if you are on a tight budget and really want to go to a game then you maybe have to look at giving up some of the "extras" like a pie or an extra couple of pints.

The Treasurer
14 minutes ago, Shaggy2 said:

Does anyone genuinely believe that a football club’s first course of action when receiving cash, say from an improved TV deal, will be to reduce ticket prices?

Reducing ticket prices won’t even be on a board meeting agenda.

As for requesting that walk up prices are £15 (lower than your ST per game)? Wow, just wow!

I’d like to see a cap on away pricing like there is in England. I believe it’s £30 down there, so £20 up here should just about do it. A similar maximum charge for ST holders of both clubs involved (maybe up that to £30 as some games are huge and could be sold out several times over) to gain entry to cup ties.

For walk-ups who attend as often as possible there could be a loyalty card. You could pay £30 for your first game of the season, £29 for your next, £28 for your third and so on, down to a minimum price of £20. If you found you were able to attend all 19 home games that would total £435 if my calculations are correct. Not much more than a Gold ST, but essentially it is more as it just has to be. 

Your "loyalty card" idea is quite good one. The more games you attend, the cheaper it becomes, but walk-up's should never work out cheaper than buying an ST

1 minute ago, The Treasurer said:

Your "loyalty card" idea is quite good one. The more games you attend, the cheaper it becomes, but walk-up's should never work out cheaper than buying an ST

This is vital as STs give the club guaranteed income for the season. 

54 minutes ago, credit card said:

Agreed home tickets are overpriced. My gripe is why should they be full price when a match is televised?

So you fork out for your ST or a single ticket to watch us play in December. There's usually 5 games that month (Doncaster is a twat) and you've got Santa competing with your wallet as well. The game is midweek so you fight the extra Xmas traffic to get home first and then back out there and there's a howling wind sand blasting your tammie. You get out of Gorgie's Siberia by diving into the pub. Although its warm it is rammed as everyone else has the same idea. You then face the risk of gooly frostbite in the stands watching Willie Collum gift wrapping a dodgy penalty to the other team. With icicles dripping from your beak you negotiate the icy pavements like bambi all the way back to your bus stop using your swinging Hearts scarf as a counterweight to avoid falling. But someone else is sitting in a nice warm house or pub in comfort - yet you pay full whack. 

I don't think it takes too much effort to watch Hearts TV in the UK and that is cheaper than attending matches. It becomes more attractive the more prices go up.

StirlingJambo
10 hours ago, Alan_R said:

I like going to games abroad for this reason. Obviously doesn't compare to the famous but been to games in Czech, Germany, Poland, match tickets £9-£13 and the food, beer options are on another level. All round value far superior

Totally agree. Few years back a few of my mates and myself were in Prague decided to go to the Sparta Prague match where if they won they won the league. €6 euro for ticket, €3 for 4 beers, €2 euro for tram and one great atmosphere. That’s what it’s all about.

I'm going against the grain, ticket prices aren't a problem. Clubs have tried reducing them in the past with very little additional uptake.

It's all very well saying "but if we drop it to £20 and sell out it's the same as keeping the prices at £30 an getting 15,000" but it just doesn't work like that.

10 hours ago, muldoon74 said:

See where you're coming from but 1/3 of the expenditure on a 1 part is still the main reason I'm going. The rest of the expenditure is accumulative over several premises.... 

Yet it's Hearts that you blame for your day costing £70/80?

25 minutes ago, StirlingJambo said:

Totally agree. Few years back a few of my mates and myself were in Prague decided to go to the Sparta Prague match where if they won they won the league. €6 euro for ticket, €3 for 4 beers, €2 euro for tram and one great atmosphere. That’s what it’s all about.

You do get that incomes are also considerably lower in Czech Republic? Currently their minimum wages is about a third of the UK minimum wage.

3 minutes ago, Saint Jambo said:

You do get that incomes are also considerably lower in Czech Republic? Currently their minimum wages is about a third of the UK minimum wage.

So if we increased the Czech income to match ours it would still be cheaper in the Czech republic. Our prices are a little too high for games against smaller teams but I wouldn't say it was by much. If it was between 15-25 a ticket that would be fair. 

AlphonseCapone

Are we genuinely charging £34 for the Hamilton game? Hope you get a happy ending included for that and I don't mean the football. 

All roads lead to Gorgie

At one game last season I didn't use my usual ST seat and joined a mate in the front row of the Gorgie as he had a spare ticket. The view was terrible and if people are being asked for £21 for that then it isn't good value. About half that would be OK for row one and maybe £15 for row two!

Edited by All roads lead to Gorgie

StirlingJambo
2 hours ago, Saint Jambo said:

Yes I do get that. However for a league title deciding match they could easily over inflate the price of tickets but choose not to. I was just giving that as an example though and it’s the same throughout Europe. I just think there should be a cap say maybe against Glasgow teams hibs Aberdeen charge £25 for the best tickets and against the rest say maybe £18/19.

Edited by StirlingJambo

3 minutes ago, StirlingJambo said:

Yes I do get that. However for a league title deciding match they could easily over inflate the price of tickets but choose not to. I was just giving that as an example though and it’s the same throughout Europe. I just think there should be a cap say maybe against Glasgow teams hibs Aberdeen charge £25 for the best tickets and against the rest say maybe £18/19.

Make us even poorer in relative terms to the Glasgow teams. 

6 minutes ago, StirlingJambo said:

And lose income??

YouLetYourClubDie

At the last accounts we made 5.3 million from ticket revenue so say we reduced prices by 20% that is about a million down. Going by the players salaries survey that would equate to 10 squad players on our average wage of 2000 a week. 

Edited by YouLetYourClubDie

StirlingJambo
5 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

Make us even poorer in relative terms to the Glasgow teams. 

3 minutes ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

And lose income??

I’ve not worked out numbers but make the pricing so it’s bringing in more walk up fans and a pricing that’s not making the club take a hit in income. Obviously the football on show had a big part but the pricing could certainly be changed.

Just now, StirlingJambo said:

I’ve not worked out numbers but make the pricing so it’s bringing in more walk up fans and a pricing that’s not making the club take a hit in income. Obviously the football on show had a big part but the pricing could certainly be changed.

It has already been tried at other clubs in Scotland and there was next to no additional uptake.

It's a risk the club will never be taking.

Clerry Jambo
2 hours ago, AlphonseCapone said:

Are we genuinely charging £34 for the Hamilton game? Hope you get a happy ending included for that and I don't mean the football. 

The whole board should be wearing masks for coming up with these prices

lucky drinks still relatively cheap. I said it last season during the week to play dundee 31 buck total disgrace and they are making it harder and harder to get a concession ticket or child ticket so you can even save a wee bit by doing that back in the day no so much now.

if asked would i prefer a free ticket to see hearts v anyone in scotland apart from hibs or £20 off a bill and a tenner on a takeaway theres only one winner and its the chippy :D

27 minutes ago, StirlingJambo said:

That’s the magic optimal pricing trick that’s hard to achieve 

27 minutes ago, Masonic said:

lucky drinks still relatively cheap. I said it last season during the week to play dundee 31 buck total disgrace and they are making it harder and harder to get a concession ticket or child ticket so you can even save a wee bit by doing that back in the day no so much now.

if asked would i prefer a free ticket to see hearts v anyone in scotland apart from hibs or £20 off a bill and a tenner on a takeaway theres only one winner and its the chippy :D

Luckily we have thousands of supporters who think otherwise. 😎

StirlingJambo
3 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

That’s the magic optimal pricing trick that’s hard to achieve 

It definitely is but it’s possible. Surely you will get better numbers charging a tenner less than £34 for the wheatfield though. Attendances are poor if I’m honest and since the new stand was built the number of times we’ve filled out the stadium is embarrassing which again is down to both pricing and football on display.  

Just now, StirlingJambo said:

It definitely is but it’s possible. Surely you will get better numbers charging a tenner less than £34 for the wheatfield though. Attendances are poor if I’m honest and since the new stand was built the number of times we’ve filled out the stadium is embarrassing which again is down to both pricing and football on display.  

You will likely get a few more attendees but I bet you also get less revenue. 

StirlingJambo
4 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

You will likely get a few more attendees but I bet you also get less revenue. 

True, hard one to fix. Working mans game eh

16 minutes ago, StirlingJambo said:

True, hard one to fix. Working mans game eh

When good ( and bad ) players make several thousand pound a week it’s tough to make it a ‘working man’s’ game. 

6 hours ago, Saint Jambo said:

This.  Excellent post, especially the highlighted part.

STs are a base part of the club's income and nothing should be done to undermine that.  Some people may not be able to afford the once only cost of a ST but there are loan facilities set up to help.  The OP's work situation is restrictive but it is not one that just started when AB took over.  Police, Fire, Health personnel have always had that problem. He will have to make choices re Hearts just as he will have to do with other interests and decide where they fit in, in his list of priorities.

5 hours ago, AlphonseCapone said:

Whatever way you look at that price even if it is for one of the best seats in the stadium the cost is ridiculous.

People that work some weekends and can only go to so many walk up games and want a decent seat are paying nearly 70 quid if they go with a mate or the missus and that's before travel costs, food, a few pints etc.

To a game against Hamilton ******* Accies.

As usual, things are getting over analysed.

It’s too expensive. People will pick and choose their games. Sell outs will be few and far between. Not that it means much. 16k for normal games and 18k for big games. How we are playing will determine those figures, up or down.

If I can get them, i’ll be buying bronze for this season.

The Treasurer
6 minutes ago, Robbo-Jambo said:

Whatever way you look at that price even if it is for one of the best seats in the stadium the cost is ridiculous.

People that work some weekends and can only go to so many walk up games and want a decent seat are paying nearly 70 quid if they go with a mate or the missus and that's before travel costs, food, a few pints etc.

To a game against Hamilton ******* Accies.

That's the point though, only the best seats are that price.

Thanks to having a great stadium, there are plenty good seats available at a much cheaper price and kids tickets are cheaper still.

18 hours ago, Russ1977 said:

Scottish football is massively overpriced for the quality that’s dished up. 

Hearts are massively overpriced for the quality that’s dished up.

3 minutes ago, The Treasurer said:

That's the point though, only the best seats are that price.

Thanks to having a great stadium, there are plenty good seats available at a much cheaper price and kids tickets are cheaper still.

That's true, but even the upper Roseburn and Gorgie are 29 quid each and are the second cheapest seats available.

That's 60 quid for two folk in seats that are not exactly great tbh.

fabienleclerq

I'm working and unlikely to make the game, I have an adult and child season ticket you can have for a donation to big hearts.