Hickey

Beast Boy

2 hours ago, Disco Ball said:

Personally would prefer to watch them flourish and grow in a Hearts Jersey first.  We seem to still be accepting that we should move on our talented youngsters ASAP. 

I am not so sure that it is us as fans or the club that want to move them on but if and when the big clubs come calling then it is very difficult for those young players to ignore them and say they want to stay.

They are obviously attracted by the massive money on offer not to mention the higher calibre of football.

• Replies 448
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Unknown user

• wavydavy

• Mikey1874

• Forever Hearts

16 minutes ago, wavydavy said:

I am not so sure that it is us as fans or the club that want to move them on but if and when the big clubs come calling then it is very difficult for those young players to ignore them and say they want to stay.

They are obviously attracted by the massive money on offer not to mention the higher calibre of football.

Reserve football isn't a higher calibre. At the end of the day a teenager from the SPFL isn't going to play EPL football till he's 20+. 

If reserve football was anything to shout about down south lads like Connor Randall, Brandon Barker, Smith-Brown would have ripped this league up. They didn't. 

Hickey will learn more playing for Hearts getting first team football than playing kiddie on football with 23 year olds still in reserve football with 1 first team appearance between like 5 of them.

If Hickey gives us 100 games, he'll get the move he wants. 

Guest ToqueJambo
44 minutes ago, TheBigO said:

That's how I see it too. Its funny how everyone's first thought is market value these days. I do it too, but try not to!

The excitement is seeing the player in maroon for me.

And even then,  when they leave, the pride in seeing one of our lads do well.

I try not to think of the dosh side of things. It's not why I love football!

This is where I am. My expectations are very low when it comes to getting fees for players. 1-3m or so is nice but won't change our fortunes that much. If we could get another Craig Gordon sized fee however, with our current finances and an owner willing to invest in the team, with the right manager and recruitment we could mount a challenge in the league and cups over 2 or 3 years. The problem is we'd have to significantly raise our wages which in the long term would be unsustainable unless we somehow did well in Europe on a. consistent basis.

I'd love to ask someone like McPhee or Levein if they were handed 10m transfer fee to put into the playing side how they'd invest it to mount a real challenge while still making us sustainable long term.

Big Slim Stylee
6 hours ago, indianajones said:

Kickback is a scary place sometimes. 

Hickeys had an excellent start. Hopefully he can keep developing as he is and we can keep him during this time! 

I gave up on using JKB as a reliable barometer of youth player potential when a poster compared the then young Lee Wallace to Paolo Maldini.😀

Having been delighted to learn that Irving is a big Jambo, does anyone have any info on Aaron's back story? Is he an Edinburgh boy?  Is he a Jambo?  How long has he bern with us? Etc. Etc.

All contributions welcome.

1 hour ago, Kiwidoug said:

Having been delighted to learn that Irving is a big Jambo, does anyone have any info on Aaron's back story? Is he an Edinburgh boy?  Is he a Jambo?  How long has he bern with us? Etc. Etc.

All contributions welcome.

Think we got him from Celtic a year or two ago 

FarmerTweedy
18 hours ago, Heartsofgold said:

Exactly what was wrong with the statement you replied too.  This is exactly what happened.  Rangers were liquidated and the GFA/SFL bent over backwards while taking the blue boaby up their respective shitboxes to admit them back into the professional league.  They broke all their own rules to allow Rangers back into professional football.

That's not what happened! There was no 'allowing Rangers back' into anything, instead they allowed Sevco Scotland into the bottom professional league, and then allowed them to change their name to Rangers and agreed to pretend that they actually were the old Rangers, even though they're clearly a different one, that all the supporters of the old Rangers (including a number of posters on here!) have chosen to support in the absence of their old club.

Edit: But that's all off-topic. Back to Hickey...

Edited by FarmerTweedy

FarmerTweedy
11 hours ago, TheBigO said:

That's how I see it too. Its funny how everyone's first thought is market value these days. I do it too, but try not to!

The excitement is seeing the player in maroon for me.

And even then,  when they leave, the pride in seeing one of our lads do well.

I try not to think of the dosh side of things. It's not why I love football!

To be fair, when you see fairly ordinary players moving in the EPL for transfer fees in excess of the cost of our new main stand, it's sometimes hard not to think about the money we could potentially get, and what we could do with it! 

1 hour ago, FarmerTweedy said:

To be fair, when you see fairly ordinary players moving in the EPL for transfer fees in excess of the cost of our new main stand, it's sometimes hard not to think about the money we could potentially get, and what we could do with it! 

Oh yeah I know, and it makes more sense that fans of a team like ours in a league like ours would think in this way, I more meant that in general it seems to be the first thing said about every player these days.  Oh he'll be worth a fortune, or we need to get him tied down to get max value, all that sort of stuff.  All I'm saying is, while appreciating that, and dreaming of what £20 million would do for us, my personal first thought is more along the lines of, let's get him on a long deal cos I want to see him play for us for ages!!!!

I'm an old innocent though!

Just now, ramrod said:

Anyone know how long his contract has to go ? 

I was told last week he's going back ti Celtic at the end of the season.  I was shot down in flames for suggesting it. I've asked how long his contract is but nobody knows

Dallas Green
1 minute ago, jamboveg said:

I heard last week he's going back to Celtic end of the  season 

I heard you talk shite.

Haringshairband
2 minutes ago, jamboveg said:

Did a Celtic fan tell you this?

Clerry Jambo
4 minutes ago, jamboveg said:

I was told last week he's going back ti Celtic at the end of the season.  I was shot down in flames for suggesting it. I've asked how long his contract is but nobody knows

Fair enough if the scum pay what Hearts want

3 minutes ago, jamboveg said:

I would have thought if this was the case we would have offered him a  new contract and that would have been in the public domain. 

4 minutes ago, Haringshairband said:

No it was from another Heart of Midlothian supporter. I mentioned on here a few says ago but liked it said it was dismissed. I really hope its not true as Hickey looks like he has tons of potential 

Sure he signed a deal with other youngsters in 2018 , if that was a 2 year deal , he would be out of contract at the end of the season . 

We would only get a development fee ? Guessing. 

Hopefully we are trying to extend his contract and can only hope his parent  see his best interest developing at a Hearts . 

kingantti1874
22 minutes ago, jamboveg said:

he’s got a 3 year contract 

CL

’The Tierney money will be fine Mr Lawell, failing that I can give you the number for a cracking left back name of Oshinawa.... 

Edited by cocobeab

On 19/08/2019 at 21:54, FarmerTweedy said:

It's not just about, or even mainly about in fact, the money these guys could make us, it's primarily about the potentially transformative effect these guys could have on our team.

If (and it's a bloody huge if!) in about two or three years from now, we had about four or five of these guys in our first team together, and all reaching the sort of levels that they've so far shown potential for, we might see a very different overall standard of performances from anything we've seen in many, many years. 

Like I say, huge if though! 

In an ideal world, we would get 2-3 good seasons out of a player who was better than Scottish Premiership standard, then get a good transfer fee and sell on clause when they eventually move on to better things.  If we can get a conveyor belt of talent coming through then there's no reason why we couldn't have 4 or 5 exceptional youngster in the team at any one time.

The problem is being able to hold onto the players long enough while also getting a decent fee when they move on.  If they don't sign contract extensions, we run the risk of them walking for nothing other than a development fee, like Paterson and Walker.

There's also a danger that if we develop a reputation for developing top class youngsters, that bigger clubs are going to be sniffing about trying to poach our players before they even make it to being first team regulars.  Whatever happened to the lad Marc Leonard who was being touted as a real prospect before jumping ship to Brighton as soon as he turned 16?

8 minutes ago, kingantti1874 said:

he’s got a 3 year contract 

Thats good news then! I've searched but couldn't find anything on it

5 minutes ago, cocobeab said:

CL

’The Tierney money will be fine Mr Lawell, failing that I can give you the number for a cracking left back name of Oshinawa.... 

They were interested in him before we signed him...

Just now, kingantti1874 said:

So when is it up? June 2021?  We won’t deal nicely.

I hope not. I would even try and get him tied down to a 4/5 year deal asap

Pasquale for King
23 hours ago, OTT said:

Reserve football isn't a higher calibre. At the end of the day a teenager from the SPFL isn't going to play EPL football till he's 20+. 

If reserve football was anything to shout about down south lads like Connor Randall, Brandon Barker, Smith-Brown would have ripped this league up. They didn't. 

Hickey will learn more playing for Hearts getting first team football than playing kiddie on football with 23 year olds still in reserve football with 1 first team appearance between like 5 of them.

Definitely, it’s why they wanted to loan him back to us and why we are getting their new Japanese signing for a year.

If Whyte proves to be outstanding  I wonder if levein will consider playing both by having one in the midfield.

Hungry hippo
10 minutes ago, Kiwidoug said:

If Whyte proves to be outstanding  I wonder if levein will consider playing both by having one in the midfield.

White is a winger turned full back so could definitely play further forward if required.

14 minutes ago, Kiwidoug said:

He did that on Friday at Motherwell when Whyte came on.  He nearly scored near the end too.

...a bit disco
1 hour ago, Haringshairband said:

That dug pumping Hibby dick Coonster is broadcasting this shite on Twitter.

So aye, a Celtic Reserves fan.

That's good to know about Whyte because there must be a good chance that he will really prove himself as a player once he gets a few more hours on the park under his belt.

Fingers crossed that this is a very strong squad.  Certainly looking that way although as everyone says, would be great if a Ford/Robbo was in there.

7 hours ago, ...a bit disco said:

That dug pumping Hibby dick Coonster is broadcasting this shite on Twitter.

So aye, a Celtic Reserves fan.

The Groomster as i like to call him 

Absolutey obsessed with the Big Team 24 hours of everyday of his life 

19th May 2012 destroyed this guy. I've seen a few Hibs fans take 2012 badly.....but this guy. Wow this guy took it the worst out of the lot of them. He's about 50 too, grown up children the lot. Its the same 14 pals who retweet his pish day in day out. No doubt his kids have left home and his Mrs is off having an affair with a Hearts fan somewhere 

The epiphany of a middle aged man going through a mid life crisis 

8 hours ago, livi said:

He did that on Friday at Motherwell when Whyte came on.  He nearly scored near the end too.

Looked every bit a left back when he had his chance in their box to score after dribbling it around! Maybe just rust. 

31 minutes ago, kila said:

Looked every bit a left back when he had his chance in their box to score after dribbling it around! Maybe just rust. 

Yeh a good run into the box but looked lost when he got there and the ball seemed to get stuck under his feet.  The amount of rain that fell it could have been rust. 😂

...a bit disco
2 hours ago, kimosavi said:

The Groomster as i like to call him 

Absolutey obsessed with the Big Team 24 hours of everyday of his life 

19th May 2012 destroyed this guy. I've seen a few Hibs fans take 2012 badly.....but this guy. Wow this guy took it the worst out of the lot of them. He's about 50 too, grown up children the lot. Its the same 14 pals who retweet his pish day in day out. No doubt his kids have left home and his Mrs is off having an affair with a Hearts fan somewhere 

The epiphany of a middle aged man going through a mid life crisis 

Nailed it.

:thumbsup:

On 19/08/2019 at 23:28, OTT said:

Spot on. Hickey could read 100 games before he even turns 20, so he has plenty of time.