Hickey

Beast Boy

1 minute ago, Smithee said:

If we do sign Naismith I'm giving all the credit to levein, just to annoy you

Very good. Amazingly enough I have praised Craig Levein before not a lot but i have and if he does manage to secure the services of Naismith then I will be happy to let you annoy me. :lol:

• Replies 448
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Unknown user

• wavydavy

• Mikey1874

• Forever Hearts

Unknown user
2 minutes ago, wavydavy said:

Very good. Amazingly enough I have praised Craig Levein before not a lot but i have and if he does manage to secure the services of Naismith then I will be happy to let you annoy me. :lol:

It's a date ;)

Footballfirst
2 hours ago, WheatfieldWarrior said:

Is Hickey, immediately right of centre back row?

I can't remember very many of them myself as they change so much through their teenage years. I think that was Joe Evenden. I think that Aaron is 3rd from the right in the front row.  I could be wrong though.  Aaron didn't stick out as any better than many of that squad at the time and left a couple of years later, so didn't make a lasting impression on me.

When times are hard people look for a little bit of hope and sometimes go overboard

We have a number of young players who show potential but we seem to want it all to happen straight away.

Give them time to develop into adults physically and time to develop as professional players

I want them all to be a success but the reality is that will not happen and the more we push them or expect too much of them the bigger the disappointment that results not only for them but for the fans.

There's no guarantees in the footballing world so lets just bide our time and watch them develop and with a little bit of luck they will become what we hope

54 minutes ago, CJGJ said:

When times are hard people look for a little bit of hope and sometimes go overboard

We have a number of young players who show potential but we seem to want it all to happen straight away.

Give them time to develop into adults physically and time to develop as professional players

I want them all to be a success but the reality is that will not happen and the more we push them or expect too much of them the bigger the disappointment that results not only for them but for the fans.

There's no guarantees in the footballing world so lets just bide our time and watch them develop and with a little bit of luck they will become what we hope

You’re quite correct of course. That’s what I was getting at when I said: “If a few of them make the step up, and beat the odds, then we might just be on the verge of something special.”

At the moment he along with a couple of others are great to watch though, and it’s nice to have a little hope.

hearts related nickname
14 hours ago, wavydavy said:

So the Academy Manager Roger Arnott takes no credit then just Levein?

The person in question was Levein.  If you want to have a broad discussion about the academy and who to thank for it to ahead and create a thread. 

You wondered what the post meant I explained, in the context of the person who was the focus of the original point. 

In any case. The director of a certain area of a business ultimately takes credit and blame for any success and failure. After all, he is responsible for putting people in place to manage a structure they have put in place. Thus, Levein puts Arnott in as academy manager, academy is successful and Levein gets credit for putting the correct people into place.

On 21/05/2019 at 00:20, hearts related nickname said:

The person in question was Levein.  If you want to have a broad discussion about the academy and who to thank for it to ahead and create a thread. 

You wondered what the post meant I explained, in the context of the person who was the focus of the original point. 

In any case. The director of a certain area of a business ultimately takes credit and blame for any success and failure. After all, he is responsible for putting people in place to manage a structure they have put in place. Thus, Levein puts Arnott in as academy manager, academy is successful and Levein gets credit for putting the correct people into place.

That's fine so long as many posters on here remember the bit I have highlighted.

jamboinglasgow

Pleased he has done well in his appearances. It is early on, so he has a lot of hard work if he wants to develop into a regular first team player. But it is pleasing that the players coming through have demonstrated how their technique and intelligence on the ball is a step above. There is certainly quite a few youngsters who in the coming years could (if they continue developing well) be an exciting team.

One thing I have found interesting is that of academy promoted players from 2017, out of seven players (not including Marc Leonard as he left) five had made competitive appearances and one has appeared on the bench but not played. Of the 2018 academy promoted players, out of seven players (not counting Josh Grigor and Dino Leddie who left during the season) three have made competitive appearances and one has appeared on the bench but not played. So that is in both intakes, over half of each have either played competitive football or at least made the bench in a competitive match.

Also had a look at the number of competitive matches played by those players in either intakes of academy players (either for Hearts first team, out on loan or for U20s in the challenge cup (so against senior opposition.)

Euan Henderson (18) has 48 appearances

Anthony MacDonald (18) has 35 appearances

Harry Cochrane (18) has 33 appearances

Chris Hamilton (17) has 8 appearances

Connor Smith (17) has 4 appearances

Aaron Hickey (16) has 2 appearances

Cammy Logan (17) has 1 appearance

Leeroy Makovora (17) has 1 appearances

Also, I know he is from the intake from the 2016, but Andrew Irving who is 19 has already racked up 55 competitive appearances in his career so far.

Edited by jamboinglasgow

• 2 months later...
rambothejambo

Not sure what length of contract this young lad us in but get it extended. Potentially a superb left back, if the likes of Celtic come calling ( to replace Tierney) it wouldn't be a surprise. Absolutely great game tonight MOTM without doubt.

Салатные палочки

He really was excellent tonight. Reminds me very much of Gary Naysmith when he first came into the team. 

kingantti1874
Just now, Radio Ga Ga said:

If he played for Celtic the media would have a £10M price tag on his head. 

he’s better than tierney

Geoff Kilpatrick
1 minute ago, Salad Fingers said:

He really was excellent tonight. Reminds me very much of Gary Naysmith when he first came into the team. 

Just needs the 25 yard rakers now and he will be Naysmith Mark 2. Fantastic footballer.

Салатные палочки
Just now, Geoff Kilpatrick said:

Just needs the 25 yard rakers now and he will be Naysmith Mark 2. Fantastic footballer.

I thought that earlier. Would love him to get a goal soon. 

He’s going to go to the very very top. What a performance and not for the first time. Get him tied down to a very long deal and quickly!!

SPL wingers hanging out of his back pocket. Composed on the ball in tight areas.  Head up passing. At 17. Some engine too.  If developed correctly, he can be the next Andy Robertson, without hyperbole.

kingantti1874
2 minutes ago, vegas-voss said:

He is incredible.He looks like he has been playing top level football his whole life he strolls through games.

He’s fast, strong as fcuk for a 17 year old, 2 feet.. you can tell by the way he moves he’s an outstanding player. 

4 minutes ago, Cruyff Turn said:

He’s basically Paolo Maldini.

10 year deal. £200million buyout clause.

When watching him I was trying to think of who he reminds me off and while I am by no means comparing him with Maldini they do both have one thing in common. Maldini was a defender first and foremost and he loved it. Hickey is the same. Doesn’t bomb forward unnecessarily, loves the defensive side of things. Let’s hope he keeps enjoying his football

loveofthegame

Just wait until his legs catch up with his ability. He tires and can’t get up & down all game yet but at just turned 17 he looks an absolutely outstanding prospect.

Hard to believe he is 17 years old 

Priority must be to tie him down on a long term contract and also the wage he deserves as a first team regular 

Bigger clubs will come calling soon if we don't 

Scottish left backs have a superb reputation just now, Hickey will have all the top clubs after him 💰💰💰

Rocky jamboa

He's a great wee player. Composed as well. Never just punts it away in a panic. 

Will have a great career and make us a lot of money in the future. 

18 minutes ago, kingantti1874 said:

He is the best young player i can every recall playing for us. 

It's a bold statement but I agree. 

A real Rolls Royce of a footballer. Will play at the top, and hopefully we get many great years out of him first. 

2 minutes ago, Ranga82 said:

When watching him I was trying to think of who he reminds me off and while I am by no means comparing him with Maldini they do both have one thing in common. Maldini was a defender first and foremost and he loved it. Hickey is the same. Doesn’t bomb forward unnecessarily, loves the defensive side of things. Let’s hope he keeps enjoying his football

Yep 100%. Very similar in style. Two footed as well. Obviously he’s no Maldini, Paolo was probably the greatest ever to play that position but an apt-nickname imo. 

Geoff Kilpatrick
Just now, Diego10 said:

First touch, brilliant.  Passing, brilliant.  Composure, brilliant.  Tackling, brilliant.

Fitness, could improve.

A key point. That's why he will need rested from time to time as he is still growing.