The Open Championship 2019

kila

Woods is plodding along but.    He could snake in and give himself a weekend's work.    Does he want to though?

• Replies 263
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Victorian

• Maroon Sailor

• Notts1874

• Samuel Camazzola

Maroon Sailor
33 minutes ago, Victorian said:

The wank Spieth is on the charge.

The way he won The Open from the car park was ridiculous. How he can play a shot from that far off the course and not be out of bounds is farcical when you consider McIlroy's out of bounds at the 1st yesterday

11 minutes ago, Maroon Sailor said:

The way he won The Open from the car park was ridiculous. How he can play a shot from that far off the course and not be out of bounds is farcical when you consider McIlroy's out of bounds at the 1st yesterday

Was annoying that he took a drop and then took another drop as his initial drop had a bus in front of it... total get out of jail free card but I'm kind of glad he won it now and not Kuchar

13 minutes ago, Maroon Sailor said:

Being a taxi ride off line is not necessarily reason for it to be OB per se.      But the common sense thing would be to designate areas like that as OB,    if only to avoid the circus show that ensued re the drop he took.     

Not sure what weather there is to come but today's scoring has been largely decent.     Cut score might be more like +3.     Quite possibly +2.    

Good question on the radio

Since the Open moved to a 4 hole play off 14 players have lost via a play off. How many can you name. I managed 9.

Google not allowed 😁😁

Wayne Grady

Tom Watson

Jean van de velde

Justin Leonard

Thomas Levet

Steve Elkington

Stuart Appleby

Constantino Rocca

?

2 minutes ago, Victorian said:

Wayne Grady

Tom Watson

Jean van de velde

Justin Leonard

Thomas Levet

Steve Elkington

Stuart Appleby

Constantino Rocca

?

Greg Norman

Sergio Garcia

Ernie Els

Samuel Camazzola

2015 was a playoff which Johnson won. I can recall Louis and Leishman in it but unsure if Day was in it too or if he missed a putt on 18 to get into it. 

This year's play off is over holes if it goes to one. I'm sure I heard that on The Cut podcast a couple of weeks ago. Apologies if I've just made this up! 😄 

5 minutes ago, Samuel Camazzola said:

2015 was a playoff which Johnson won. I can recall Louis and Leishman in it but unsure if Day was in it too or if he missed a putt on 18 to get into it. 

This year's play off is over holes if it goes to one. I'm sure I heard that on The Cut podcast a couple of weeks ago. Apologies if I've just made this up! 😄 

I think it's 3 holes this year.

Harry Potter
6 minutes ago, Samuel Camazzola said:

Well done remembering it was a play off in 2015.

The one Wayne Grady was in sticks in the mind.    1989.     I remember Tom Watson doing well and just missing the play-off.     At the time it was decent for a player almost 40 to have been so close to winning.     It would have been utterly inconceivable that he was to contest a play-off 20 years on aged almost 60.

6 minutes ago, Harry Potter said:

Well done remembering it was a play off in 2015.

Yep. Leishman and Louis are another 2. Final day was on a Monday that year.

Samuel Camazzola
28 minutes ago, Notts1874 said:

I think it's 3 holes this year.

I meant to type 3 but missed that vital detail! 😄 Down to layout and logistics I believe. 

Samuel Camazzola
10 minutes ago, jonnothejambo said:

One thing I hate is arseholes who applaud a player after they holed out after a bogey. Wrong and shows a lack of knowledge.

On Sunday at The Rennaissance Club, some clueless fud applauded Matt Wallace after a poor chip to the 16th. Wallace looked at the person and said loudly "Don't applause shots like that!" Shook his head a walked into the green. 

Arsehole.

Spieth's bogey on 13th at Birkdale merited an applause (depending on your opinion on the time taken for the rulings to be confirmed). After that drive, the bogey would have felt like a birdie. 🐦 

Maroon Sailor
1 hour ago, Notts1874 said:

Got the most obscure one. Lost to O'Meara

Brian Watts

The Open when Justin Rose made his name as an amateur

1 minute ago, Maroon Sailor said:

Brian Watts

The Open when Justin Rose made his name as an amateur

17yo Rose finished 4th.    I think Ballesteros finished 2nd or 3rd aged 16.

Samuel Camazzola
19 minutes ago, Barack said:

What in God's name was Fleetwood wearing today?!

:facepalm:

There seems to be a raft of the Nike stable with these shirts on. 

Finau had one yesterday with his pvc sheen look cap. Day was sporting one too. 

Pieters wearing one today so anticipate the remaining Nike guys who make the cut to wear it over the weekend. 

Would love Lowry to win it in Northern Ireland and the support from the crowds for him is amazing.

******* love golf.

Samuel Camazzola
15 minutes ago, Barack said:

What was it? Pictures of something? Couldn't even make it out.

:lol:

I think they are silhouettes of golfers and surrounding scenery but may be wrong. 

Darren Clarke misses the cut, a mere couple feet and he scrapes it wide. Think he thought he already had it in the bag...

Samuel Camazzola

Rory is freewheeling it now. A birdie at worst on the par 5 needed to keep up the hope of making it to the weekend. 

Harry Potter
Just now, Samuel Camazzola said:

Rory is freewheeling it now. A birdie at worst on the par 5 needed to keep up the hope of making it to the weekend. 

Playing very well.

C

6 minutes ago, Samuel Camazzola said:

Only need three players currently at +1 to go up to +2 to increase the cut to this score. 

Will be amazed if the cut isn't +2

I P Knightley
2 minutes ago, Maroon Sailor said:

+28 thru 32

You're being unfair in your reporting - he got a birdie on 10.

26 minutes ago, Notts1874 said:

C

Will be amazed if the cut isn't +2

Ignore this nonsense. Cut looking like +1..... Rory chucks it into the bunker from nowhere.

Maroon Sailor
17 minutes ago, I P Knightley said:

You're being unfair in your reporting - he got a birdie on 10.

I noted it +28 to +27

+28 thru 34

Maroon Sailor

That tap in bogey putt he missed on 16 yesterday could be the difference for Rory

Edited by Maroon Sailor

hmfc_liam06
16 minutes ago, Maroon Sailor said:

I noted it +28 to +27

+28 thru 34

There would be posters on here embarrassed by that score let alone a professional golfer.

Maroon Sailor

This has been a great first 2 rounds. The weather hasn't had too much of an affect on the draw and only 9 shots in it with the weather looking to play a factor over the weekend.

Looks a good fair test as well. Makes you wonder why it's taken so long to play The Open at Royal Portrush

2 minutes ago, Maroon Sailor said:

This has been a great first 2 rounds. The weather hasn't had too much of an affect on the draw and only 9 shots in it with the weather looking to play a factor over the weekend.

Looks a good fair test as well. Makes you wonder why it's taken so long to play The Open at Royal Portrush

Apart from the obvious non golfing reason. They have had to change the course to accommodate grandstands etc. I think it's going to host at least another two Opens as per the current rotation.

Maroon Sailor

Never known a 2nd round feel like the final round before but Rory is on the verge of doing something special here

14 minutes ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

There would be posters on here embarrassed by that score let alone a professional golfer.

Shocking , eh? :lol: I’d love to play it and see what my score would be , make a better fist of it than +28 I’d bet!