The Open Championship 2019

kila

2 minutes ago, Victorian said:

I've only watched the Open at Muirfield,  St.Andrews and Birkdale and of those,   Muirfield is the best.    Most of St.Andrews is quite flat around the greens,    a lot of which are enormous double greens.    Spectators are limited to the periphery of the course as well.

St Andrews takes a bit of planning. Get there early. Follow a group to the loop. Plonk yer backside in the stand behind 7/11 and you can watch 7,8,9,10,11 and maybe 12. Go for a couple of beers at the back on 9th before the hike back to 17th and plonk yer backside there.

Its shite for following a group but will be better with the raised walkways they are using around greens now.

• Replies 263
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Victorian

• Maroon Sailor

• Notts1874

• Samuel Camazzola

hmfc_liam06
2 hours ago, Victorian said:

They don't.     In professional golf you are classified as from Ireland or Northern Ireland.     Scotland or England.

No united Ireland or GB.

:spoton:

Samuel Camazzola
5 hours ago, Notts1874 said:

St Andrews is St Andrews and rightly hosts every 5 years. There is something special about an Open there. Also even if you don't go into the golf the town is brilliant fun for the week. Plus I get to sit in my club and watch the golf 30 yards in front of me while drinking cheap beer 😁.

St Andrews Club or The New Club? 

1 minute ago, Samuel Camazzola said:

St Andrews Club or The New Club? 

Could have been one of another three.....but its St Andrews Club. It costs practically nothing as a "Country" member.

Right good mix of members including a few that are members in the big house behind the first. Played golf with a couple of them. Never got invited in😒

Samuel Camazzola
18 minutes ago, Notts1874 said:

Could have been one of another three.....but its St Andrews Club. It costs practically nothing as a "Country" member.

Right good mix of members including a few that are members in the big house behind the first. Played golf with a couple of them. Never got invited in😒

I got invited by a former captain to your club on the last day of the 2012 Dunhill and got to watch it from the upper floors.  Great view and a unique vantage point to see the 18th being played. 

Recently watched the 2010 Official Open Film that Sky shows and said captain was captured on camera watching the golf from the roof of your club! 😄 

10 minutes ago, Samuel Camazzola said:

I got invited by a former captain to your club on the last day of the 2012 Dunhill and got to watch it from the upper floors.  Great view and a unique vantage point to see the 18th being played. 

Recently watched the 2010 Official Open Film that Sky shows and said captain was captured on camera watching the golf from the roof of your club! 😄 

Were you up on the balcony? Never been invited there. You are right though the 18th looks very different from upstairs.

Samuel Camazzola
6 hours ago, Notts1874 said:

Were you up on the balcony? Never been invited there. You are right though the 18th looks very different from upstairs.

I wasn't on it but others were there. Would be a great spot to catch the fireworks at the end of the Dunhill. 

Cruyff Turn
18 hours ago, Maroon Sailor said:

It was nailed on St Andrews would get the 150th in 2021. It usually gets it every 5 years which is not right imo as it's not that hard a test now unless the wind blows a hoolie.

Has to be the best easiest course on The Open rota

They should make them play with Hickory clubs when they play St.Andrews. 😄

15 minutes ago, Cruyff Turn said:

They should make them play with Hickory clubs when they play St.Andrews. 😄

Play it in November as well 😁. Get some proper weather.You can add to that. They should have to play the course "backwards" for one of the rounds.

Edited by Notts1874

The last 4 Opens I have absolutely LOVED and all for different reasons:

- Stenson v Phil at Troon was unreal, the atmosphere during and after it on the course was like absolute joy for golf!

- Spieth at Birkdale, how that unfolded was remarkable, folk complain about the time it took for him to his that shot, but it was ultimate drama, on the ropes and he fights back.

- Molinari at Carnoustie, Tiger was on the charge, the course was electric as to what was happening and I love the fact he stuck to his game plan and didn't panic, complete composure.

- Lowry at Portrush, for me how he listened to his Caddy's every word was outstanding, they were a team and there was no questioning or debating and shots.

Cruyff Turn
40 minutes ago, Notts1874 said:

Play it in November as well 😁. Get some proper weather.You can add to that. They should have to play the course "backwards" for one of the rounds.

😂 I’d love to see it. Far more skill to hit the ball with the old clubs. 

Wasn’t  St Andrews originally designed to be played in what is now considered backwards? 

Edited by Cruyff Turn

15 minutes ago, Cruyff Turn said:

😂 I’d love to see it. Far more skill to hit the ball with the old clubs. 

Wasn’t  St Andrews originally designed to be played in what is now considered backwards? 

I think so but that was when it was just 14 holes? They still do once a year.

Cruyff Turn
48 minutes ago, Notts1874 said:

I think so but that was when it was just 14 holes? They still do once a year.

No idea chief.