• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Geoff Kilpatrick

• Cruyff Turn

• Herbert.

• davemclaren

77Mackay77
19 minutes ago, Geoff Kilpatrick said:

It's funny how some people forget how Foulkes had Vlad vetted by MI5 and Vlad was given a clean bill of health.

"Illegal means" though. :vrface:

Yup illegal means.

The guy has been linked to the Troika Laundromat which is a massive money laundering and tax evasion operation linked to oligarchs and others that has been used to move dosgy money out of Russia, Romanov, his family and his business interests are named umpteen times in the Panama papers. And he is now living under Putin’s protection. I think illegal pretty much covers it. 

Geoff Kilpatrick
3 minutes ago, 77Mackay77 said:

Yup illegal means.

The guy has been linked to the Troika Laundromat which is a massive money laundering and tax evasion operation linked to oligarchs and others that has been used to move dosgy money out of Russia, Romanov, his family and his business interests are named umpteen times in the Panama papers. And he is now living under Putin’s protection. I think illegal pretty much covers it. 

:laugh:

I'm sure Lloyds will be glad to know that they are being pursued under the Proceeds of Crime Act.

Oh....

Jamboelite
8 minutes ago, Geoff Kilpatrick said:

I'm sure Lloyds will be glad to know that they are being pursued under the Proceeds of Crime Act.

Oh....

Sorry are you suggesting Vlad was a 100%  legitimate businessman Geoff ?

Tasavallan

All I will add is that back in 2012 when UKIO BANKAS went belly up and the Romanov family fled into hiding, if there wasn't FOH and Ann Budge there would not have been an oligarch, Arab Sheikh or Asian billionaire coming in to rescue the club due the financial mess left by Romanov. It was left to those that love the club to sort out the mess and take it forward to where we are today.

Would I have changed a thing, no. 2005/2006 was a season to remember. The Boro friendly is still fresh in my memory.

Geoff Kilpatrick
3 minutes ago, Jamboelite said:

I'm saying that claiming Vlad used "Illegal means" to buy the club is fecking nuts!

I would suspect Vlad has done a dodgy deal or two as a lot of deals in Eastern Europe involve kickbacks and palms being greased of some sort. Equally, he has never been convicted of anything. Plus, the idea we were a cash cow for him is quite funny given the amount of money that ended up being splurged in Edinburgh. We benefitted from his largesse.

Maple Leaf
3 hours ago, Geoff Kilpatrick said:

Point missed completely. Who else was going to buy HMFC and cover the debt repayment that was forcing us to sell Tynecastle to Cala Homes?

Answer: No one.

Correct.  And McCrae knows that.

Footballfirst

On hols so just catching up with this thread. 

Romanov's tenure gave us, as football fans, the highs that we all crave, but ultimately gave us the lowest of the lows. 

Most football fans will always remember the highs more than the lows. It's what being a football fan is all about. It was one helluva roller coaster ride though. 

Was he a crook? Almost certainly, but many will see him as a loveable rogue. 

Some numbers from his time in charge that would suggest that the club benefited massively from funds it didnt earn. 

5 years with the wages to turnover ratio in excess of 100% peaking at 126%.

£40.7m in debt forgiveness. That is money the club spent that could only have come from elsewhere in his business interests. Was that money sourced by wholly legal means? I don't know but I suspect not, but it is up to the courts and Lithuanian authorities to determine. 

One often forgotten fact was that FOH attempted to buy the club directly from Romanov for £450,000 (the value of the tax bill linked to the winding up order) in 2012. If Romanov had accepted the offer but not written off all the debts (as FOH wanted) then it could have been FOH that took us into administration when UBIG collapsed a few months later. 

The Real Maroonblood
15 minutes ago, Jamboelite said:

Must have been.

MI5 said so.:teeth:

Geoff Kilpatrick
3 minutes ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

Must have been.

So you think the club was bought with "illegal means"?

22 minutes ago, Jamboelite said:

Does such a person exist?

?

* Just noticed the Troika Laundromat and Panama papers post from the poster who likes a 7 :vrface:

:rattus:

26 minutes ago, Footballfirst said:

On hols so just catching up with this thread. 

Romanov's tenure gave us, as football fans, the highs that we all crave, but ultimately gave us the lowest of the lows. 

Most football fans will always remember the highs more than the lows. It's what being a football fan is all about. It was one helluva roller coaster ride though. 

Was he a crook? Almost certainly, but many will see him as a loveable rogue. 

Some numbers from his time in charge that would suggest that the club benefited massively from funds it didnt earn. 

5 years with the wages to turnover ratio in excess of 100% peaking at 126%.

£40.7m in debt forgiveness. That is money the club spent that could only have come from elsewhere in his business interests. Was that money sourced by wholly legal means? I don't know but I suspect not, but it is up to the courts and Lithuanian authorities to determine. 

One often forgotten fact was that FOH attempted to buy the club directly from Romanov for £450,000 (the value of the tax bill linked to the winding up order) in 2012. If Romanov had accepted the offer but not written off all the debts (as FOH wanted) then it could have been FOH that took us into administration when UBIG collapsed a few months later. 

A very good post.   

And had the debt not been transferred to his group, the CVA   may well have failed, so whilst it hurt and gave us some squeaky bum moments, he actually done is a favour, ultimately.  Whether by accident or design. 

Edited by Paolo

All those supporting mad Vlad need to wake up

The man is and was a crook in my opinion

But for sheer luck and the support of major political and sporting figures we were gone...….of course the fans came in afterwards but in normal circumstances we would have left the footballing landscape

To even think that was worth the risk simply speaks of terrible judgement by posters and some are simply ignoring what went on and the consequences that nearly befell us

Despicable self-aggrandising scumbag of a man.  Like having Donald Trump in charge of the club.

Wouldn't piss on him if he was on fire.

Edited by HighTimes

The Real Maroonblood
47 minutes ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

Must have been.

Like you I don’t know but MI5 an organisation that have made mistakes.

maroonsgotop
1 hour ago, Jamboelite said:

probably as legal as Abramovich at Chelsea

77Mackay77
47 minutes ago, Whatever said:

Does such a person exist?

?

* Just noticed the Troika Laundromat and Panama papers post from the poster who likes a 7 :vrface:

:rattus:

Sorry my bad for being born in 1977. Just google the Panama papers and Romanov and you can read it for yourself. 

On 06/07/2019 at 14:01, McCrae said:

No all are facts.

Romanov is alleged to have stolen £300 million from UKIO.

“Alleged”. 

So not facts then. 

2 hours ago, Whatever said:

I’m putting the disparaging remarks down to youthful naivety.

I attended SOH rallies. I was in the Orwell as it was spelled out exactly where we were headed.

Tynecastle WAS gone. We WERE moving to Murrayfield. We WOULD NOT have been debt free.

One man stopped that. There was no other saviours lurking in the background waiting to see what happened. He saved Tynecastle. He saved HMFC.

Yes, the ending was rocky but I’d rather have experienced that (especially given the largest creditor was UBIG) than have died the slow death that Murrayfield would have undoubtedly brought.

And that’s before we add the cup wins, the humiliations of Hibs, the fantastic players and for only the second time in my life, albeit briefly, genuinely feeling we had a team capable of winning the league.

Hopefully through time there can be something built and erected at Tynecastle in honour of the man. Without him HMFC would be a very different entity and Tynecastle WOULD be gone.

:glorious:

Hero.

This is where I am at.  

Yes, we could, and should have done so much better, but he did still save us, and gave us the most successful period in my lifetime.   We are also still at Tynecastle, which the previous regime deemed as not viable (and if you go on the Tynecastle tour, this is actually acknowledged). 

It did end badly, but we would have ended up where we did long before  if he did not step in, as no one was interested in us.   

Any CVA would almost certainly have been rejected, had we not transferred our debt to his bank, so   there is a good chance that we would have actually been dead. 

22 minutes ago, 77Mackay77 said:

Sorry my bad for being born in 1977. Just google the Panama papers and Romanov and you can read it for yourself. 

It’s cool.

I’m capable of finding Hibs.net ?

On 06/07/2019 at 02:49, Geoff Kilpatrick said:

The libellous slurs made on Mr Romanov on this thread are disgusting. The man is enjoying his well-earned retirement.

:cornette:

Francis Albert
10 hours ago, 77Mackay77 said:

I get that he saved us from moving from Tynie but he did so through illegal means. And maybe we did for a time benefit from his criminal enterprise although I still don’t know where the £20m of transfer income went?

And yes he brought us some incredible highs but without others stepping up at the end Romanov’s actions and his actions alone would have meant there was no Hearts for any of us to watch be that at Tynecastle, murrayfield or anywhere else. 

He he saved us from murrayfield and then condemned us to die. 

Vlad was the first Hearts owner not to sell our best players at the first cheap offer that came along. The audited accounts recognised the transfer income as Hearts income.

Hearts1975
23 hours ago, 77Mackay77 said:

I get that he saved us from moving from Tynie but he did so through illegal means. And maybe we did for a time benefit from his criminal enterprise although I still don’t know where the £20m of transfer income went?

And yes he brought us some incredible highs but without others stepping up at the end Romanov’s actions and his actions alone would have meant there was no Hearts for any of us to watch be that at Tynecastle, murrayfield or anywhere else. 

He he saved us from murrayfield and then condemned us to die. 

“Romanov’s actions and his actions alone would have meant there was no Hearts for any of us to watch be that at Tynecastle, Murrayfield or anywhere else”

Extracted from your second paragraph 

For almost all of my life Hearts were anchored in terms of millions of pounds worth of debt. Even so we managed to compete at times on the park but I remember thinking that if we could just wipe that debt from the club by any means necessary it would be like getting rid of a dead weight which was hampering the potential of our club

the debt was already there when Vlad took us over. Everyone else ran a mile but he put his investment in and saved our club Murrayfield was our only other option and others have pointed out what would have happened if we went down that road 

you can argue hook or by crook what Vlads specific objectives were and the questionable decisions that he made running us but the one thing you can’t argue with is that if he never came along There is a very good chance our club wouldn’t exist today, the exact polar opposite of what you have said in your second paragraph 

You could get hung up on the speculation surrounding Vlad and his dodgy illegal dealings. It’s your entitlement - shock horror - business man with illicit dealings buys heart of Midlothian football club ?

That’s something that drove our vermin Loving Neighbours supporters round the bend toward the end and when we survived the CVA. They couldn’t bear the thought that throughout that process we managed to write off circa 30 million (app) worth of debt ??? and save our club 

Or, you could just say that everything happens for a reason and be grateful for his involvement in the clubs history, whether the times were perceived as being good or bad, and whether his decision making was abject to awful, everyone is entitled to formulate their own opinion and I wouldn’t argue if it was a negative one.

that said if he never became part of our history I dread to think where we would be today, or in what capacity 

I personally will be eternally grateful toward Mr Romanov in this sense forever more 

bighalders
On 05/07/2019 at 16:55, Masonic said:

miss everything about the guy and i mean everything from the attacking fitbaw and foreign signings to punching bednar in the mouth just for the bants, the manager dramas, the us against them mentality to embezzling dough and spending it on the famous to running from justice 

what a man we will never forget and thanks for rudi anaw

This has to be a hibs wind up. Romanov almost put us out of business. Worst Hearts owner in 145 years

5 minutes ago, bighalders said:

This has to be a hibs wind up. Romanov almost put us out of business. Worst Hearts owner in 145 years

Still the haters hate.

Hearts1975
1 minute ago, bighalders said:

Your missing the point and judging him on his decisions made which will always split opinion

some of us realise that if he never came along we might not exist today 

hardly a hibs wind up - you show me a vermin supporter who doesn’t hold Romanov up against satanic proportions ?

50 minutes ago, Hearts1975 said:

Your missing the point and judging him on his decisions made which will always split opinion

some of us realise that if he never came along we might not exist today 

hardly a hibs wind up - you show me a vermin supporter who doesn’t hold Romanov up against satanic proportions ?

They despise Vlad almost as much as they hate Rudi!

:rudi:

On 07/07/2019 at 12:51, Geoff Kilpatrick said:

It's funny how some people forget how Foulkes had Vlad vetted by MI5 and Vlad was given a clean bill of health.

MI5

The Real Maroonblood
27 minutes ago, jambogemz said:

MI5

lt’s handy if your needing anyone vetted.

Just give MI5 a call.

We should have a celebratory day for him on his birthday. The man deserves a little show of appreciation from us.

jambo-in-furness
1 hour ago, Herbert said:

We should have a celebratory day for him on his birthday. The man deserves a little show of appreciation from us.

15th of June, just missed it ?, but it's entered on my calendar for his 73rd birthday next year when, I for one, will raise a glass.

4 hours ago, bighalders said:

Most of our previous owners done the same, minus the success. 

SpruceBringsteen

The NEARLY gang still flinging out the ALMOSTs everywhere.

Same guys must despise the 4-4 derby where we ALMOST lost to Hibs.

bighalders
4 hours ago, Paolo said:

Most of our previous owners done the same, minus the success. 

Really most of our owners took us into administration????? NO!!

Geoff Kilpatrick
23 minutes ago, bighalders said:

Really most of our owners took us into administration????? NO!!

No, they were forced asset sellers to avoid administration. Obviously better to be homeless though. :rolleyes:

bighalders
Just now, Geoff Kilpatrick said:

No, they were forced asset sellers to avoid administration. Obviously better to be homeless though. :rolleyes:

Correct. Worst is liquidation then administration glad you understand well done ??

i wish jj was my dad
On 07/07/2019 at 12:51, Geoff Kilpatrick said:

Never heard that one.

Geoff Kilpatrick
4 minutes ago, bighalders said:

Correct. Worst is liquidation then administration glad you understand well done ??

Awesome. Glad you were in favour of a slow, lingering death at Murrayfield.

Geoff Kilpatrick
1 minute ago, i wish jj was my dad said:

Never heard that one.

Foulkes himself said it.

i wish jj was my dad
3 minutes ago, Geoff Kilpatrick said:

Foulkes himself said it.

I'm not arguing but it's the first I've heard of it. Have you a link I couldn't find anything?

The Real Maroonblood
3 minutes ago, i wish jj was my dad said:

I'm not arguing but it's the first I've heard of it. Have you a link I couldn't find anything?

It'll be all cloak and dagger.:lol:

Geoff Kilpatrick
5 minutes ago, i wish jj was my dad said:

Now you're asking. This was before I moved to Oz!

A quick Google didn't find any articles from 2005.

Inch Hearts
5 minutes ago, Geoff Kilpatrick said:

Now you're asking. This was before I moved to Oz!

A quick Google didn't find any articles from 2005.

Foulkes was desperate for the club to be saved and would have said anything as he threw his backing behind Vlad as there was nothing else at all on offer.  Even if MI5 didn’t vet Romanov it was the biggest godsend ever. 

5 hours ago, SpruceBringsteen said:

The NEARLY gang still flinging out the ALMOSTs everywhere.

Same guys must despise the 4-4 derby where we ALMOST lost to Hibs.

Word.

:lol:

bighalders
1 hour ago, Geoff Kilpatrick said:

Awesome. Glad you were in favour of a slow, lingering death at Murrayfield.

Not awesome that you were in favour of your club almost being liquidated

What do people think would have happened if Vlad hadn’t come in? We were on the road to a slow lingering death.

Vlad was a mentalist, no doubt and obviously it was an ugly and stressful ending (and it was on the cards for a long time as it was never a sustainable plan). But, good god it was fun! Personally I credit the man, we would have been fecked without him and we live now with his help!