Conor Washington signs for Hearts ( updated )

tartofmidlothian

54 minutes ago, E3OBE said:

Can't score goals unless we create some chances though... Our biggest problem is the wide areas and behind the striker. Washington will be a good signing if we can back it up with quality behind him.

Understand Walker might be coming but that would still leave us looking very narrow. Need some proper quality out wide.

If you look at the big clubs that play 4-3-3 they don't have out and out wingers that play.  We played the formation in final and I thought it worked well so a lot of our width will come from the full backs in that formation

• Replies 860
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mr Elwood P

• Geoff Kilpatrick

• Beast Boy

• Absolute Scenes

12 minutes ago, bazman said:

If you look at the big clubs that play 4-3-3 they don't have out and out wingers that play.  We played the formation in final and I thought it worked well so a lot of our width will come from the full backs in that formation

I agree. That's why I think a 343/523 would work. The front 3 would be narrow and move anywhere in the attacking third 

Jambof3tornado
2 minutes ago, Mauricio Pinilla said:

Hearing he might be signing today. 

Heard that too. Was on a jkb post a bit further up!

1 minute ago, Jambof3tornado said:

Heard that too. Was on a jkb post a bit further up!

I heard he might be signing tomorrow.....but that was yesterday

Byyy The Light
5 minutes ago, Robbo51 said:

I agree. That's why I think a 343/523 would work. The front 3 would be narrow and move anywhere in the attacking third 

I'd like to see 4-2-3-1

Cochrane and Haring in behind Walker, Naismith and Washington (all constantly interchanging positions)

Uche up top.

Jambof3tornado
7 minutes ago, Gav M said:

I heard he might be signing tomorrow.....but that was yesterday

But what have you heard today???

6 minutes ago, Byyy The Light said:

I'd like to see 4-2-3-1

Cochrane and Haring in behind Walker, Naismith and Washington (all constantly interchanging positions)

Uche up top.

I agree with 4-2-3-1 but I’d have Washington up front with Mulraney our wide left. 

47 minutes ago, AlphonseCapone said:

"Hearts hope to sign Conor Washington today but Hibs could yet add another new face to their five signings already secured." 

Why have they used a "but" in that sentence. Honestly. 

Because journalism nowadays is generally done by web designers, idiots or bots.

Or idiot bot web designers.

Edited by Lovecraft

Byyy The Light
Just now, busby1985 said:

I agree with 4-2-3-1 but I’d have Washington up front with Mulraney our wide left. 

Now that you say that....

I agree!  Forgot about Mulraney.  Good to have options! Clare could also come in and play in the 3. 

20 minutes ago, Byyy The Light said:

I'd like to see 4-2-3-1

Uche up top.

That's the way I see it.  Clare, Mulraney, MacDonald all vying for those attacking positions too.  Naismith and Washington able to play up top instead or with Uche as may be required too.

Question in a 4 at the back is who plays CB.  May be that Berra plays less, which seems unthinkable in a way.  I guess it will be on form and merit, which is how it should be.

15 minutes ago, Byyy The Light said:

Now that you say that....

I agree!  Forgot about Mulraney.  Good to have options! Clare could also come in and play in the 3. 

Yip. 

Id honestly move Uche on if I was the boss. His cards marked up here and when he plays we can’t help but go direct and he isn’t a target man. Here’s hoping am wrong and he can find some form. 

Absolute Scenes
1 minute ago, busby1985 said:

Yip. 

Id honestly move Uche on if I was the boss. His cards marked up here and when he plays we can’t help but go direct and he isn’t a target man. Here’s hoping am wrong and he can find some form. 

Cant agree with moving the big man on

He's a cult hero, and despite a difficult season he has done well adapting to a new league and style of football. He needs the right support around him, is still reasonably young and will learn with Naismith nipping at him. |Getting rod of him after one season wouldn't be wise, we need to get out of the rut of singing players short term, we need continuity

Just now, Absolute Scenes said:

Cant agree with moving the big man on

He's a cult hero, and despite a difficult season he has done well adapting to a new league and style of football. He needs the right support around him, is still reasonably young and will learn with Naismith nipping at him. |Getting rod of him after one season wouldn't be wise, we need to get out of the rut of singing players short term, we need continuity

Am happy to be proved wrong, just don’t see anything in him. He’s awkward, not a goal scorer and spends most of his time doing pointless things. I love his attitude, his work rate and his desire to do well, he just doesn’t have “it”, for me. Hopefully with a change in shape and better players around him we will see the best of him. 

AlphonseCapone
6 minutes ago, busby1985 said:

Yip. 

Can't agree with this whatsoever. Uche has the potential with the right coaching and development to be a superstar imo. Not saying he'll play Premier League necessarily but certainly have a very successful career here in Scotland or Championship in England. 

3 minutes ago, AlphonseCapone said:

Can't agree with this whatsoever. Uche has the potential with the right coaching and development to be a superstar imo. Not saying he'll play Premier League necessarily but certainly have a very successful career here in Scotland or Championship in England. 

What’s your evidence or belief in that happening, if you don’t mind me asking? He has 3 league goals to his name, Clare I believe has the same maybe more, yet many don’t rate him? Clare has also came from and played at a higher level. Uche’s work rate is superb, I love his attitude and his desire to do well. Just don’t think he’s a footballer, defo not a goal scorer. Hope to be proved wrong, I genuinely do. 

The Apprentice
3 minutes ago, AlphonseCapone said:

Agree totally. I can't think of another player that can single-handedly drag a team up the pitch like he does. The home game against Celtic in particular springs to mind.

Considering it was his first season up here and having to deal with a lengthy injury mid-season, I think he's been a very good signing so far.

Byyy The Light
19 minutes ago, TheBigO said:

That's the way I see it.  Clare, Mulraney, MacDonald all vying for those attacking positions too.  Naismith and Washington able to play up top instead or with Uche as may be required too.

Question in a 4 at the back is who plays CB.  May be that Berra plays less, which seems unthinkable in a way.  I guess it will be on form and merit, which is how it should be.

Back 4 is dependent on what happens with Souttar too.  Personally I think he'll go but will have to wait and see.  Is Halkett left or sided centre back?  I don't like playing 2 of the same.

Byyy The Light
10 minutes ago, busby1985 said:

Am happy to be proved wrong, just don’t see anything in him. He’s awkward, not a goal scorer and spends most of his time doing pointless things. I love his attitude, his work rate and his desire to do well, he just doesn’t have “it”, for me. Hopefully with a change in shape and better players around him we will see the best of him. 

Have to admit I agree with this.  Would love to see him come good as it was a tough first season for him but not convinced by him.

Awkward and a cult hero, no doubt about that.

Absolute Scenes
3 minutes ago, The Apprentice said:

Agree totally. I can't think of another player that can single-handedly drag a team up the pitch like he does. The home game against Celtic in particular springs to mind.

Considering it was his first season up here and having to deal with a lengthy injury mid-season, I think he's been a very good signing so far.

Exactly this

Strongest player I've watched, the ability to hold off players is unreal (still laugh at the inverness and Cowdenbeath betfred games when he was holding the boy off with one hand and drinking coffee with the other it was that easy) he does score goals and did miss a large part of the season because of injury. Cant discount his Scottish cup goals too, so its been an pretty good first season for him

12 minutes ago, AlphonseCapone said:

100% mate

NaturalOrder74

This is getting beyond a joke that's half 3 the weathers perfect for a scarf above the head, sack Levein

Uche could be a big player for us, he has the attributes he just has to be coached how to be a bit smarter in his play, but I'm sure that will come. 

1 minute ago, NaturalOrder74 said:

This is getting beyond a joke that's half 3 the weathers perfect for a scarf above the head, sack Levein

Pictures been taken, they are just holding off to wind the **** out of us on here (not itk)

5 hours ago, johnthomas said:

Obviously I didn't , enlighten me .

Well aware of the 'glorious' 12th but the 1st ?

4 hours ago, Smithee said:

Could be wrong, but I think the 1st is the actual date of the battle of the Boyne while the 12th was actually another battle. I forget why the Boyne's come to be celebrated on that date, not really my pet subject.

@Smithee is spot on.

Originally, the 12 July commemoration was that of the Battle of Aughrim,[12] symbolising Irish Protestants' victory in the Williamite war in Ireland. At Aughrim, which took place a year after the Boyne, the Jacobite army was destroyed, deciding the war in the Williamites' favour. The Boyne, which, in the old Julian calendar, took place on 1 July O.S., was treated as less important, third after Aughrim and the anniversary of the Irish Rebellion of 1641 on 23 October O.S.

In 1752, the Gregorian calendar was also adopted in Ireland.[13] However, even after this date, "The Twelfth" continued to be commemorated at Aughrim, on 12 July NS,[12]following the usual historical convention of commemorating events of that period within Great Britain and Ireland by mapping the Julian date directly onto the modern Gregorian calendar date (as happens for example with Guy Fawkes Night on 5 November). But, after the Orange Order was founded in 1795 amid sectarian violence in County Armagh, the two events were combined in the late 18th century.[12]

from https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_the_Boyne

4 minutes ago, Byyy The Light said:

Back 4 is dependent on what happens with Souttar too.  Personally I think he'll go but will have to wait and see.  Is Halkett left or sided centre back?  I don't like playing 2 of the same.

Has played left side in the Livingston back 3 but right footed. Has previously played left back and right back for Livingston. 

According to people online. 

AlphonseCapone
6 minutes ago, busby1985 said:

What’s your evidence or belief in that happening, if you don’t mind me asking? He has 3 league goals to his name, Clare I believe has the same maybe more, yet many don’t rate him? Clare has also came from and played at a higher level. Uche’s work rate is superb, I love his attitude and his desire to do well. Just don’t think he’s a footballer, defo not a goal scorer. Hope to be proved wrong, I genuinely do. 

I just think he has the attributes to be very successful. Physically he's an absolute machine, but beyond that as you say his work rate and attitude are fantastic. There's been many a player over the years who haven't been technically gifted that have had very successful careers because they've had that attitude and work rate (apologies for the example but Scott Brown, arguably the least technically gifted of that lot that came through at Hibs and arguably the most successful).

I also think he has more technical skill than he gets credit for, he's a good touch for a big man and there are many times he's picked the ball up on the half way line and got us up the other end of the park winning a throw in or corner which is vital at times, especially under the cosh. Don't get me wrong, he's very much a work in progress, he holds onto the ball too long and his decision making can be lacking at times. 

I'm not saying he's a guaranteed success but I think he has the hardest parts of being successful already ingrained (hard work, good attitude, desire and listens), and the technical and footballing aspects can be developed in the right environment. 

All imo of course. 

Famous 1874

Aneke or Shankland I assume? 

Surely Washington won’t be a number 9. Don’t think he is a natural striker

Am I the only one who thinks that teaser is a bit daft, if it's Washington anyway, as it's not exactly a secret or a surprise?

Edited by Gav M

AlphonseCapone
Just now, Gav M said:

Am I the only one who thinks that teaser is a bit daft, if it's Washington anyway, as it's it's exactly a secret or a surprise?

I don't think it's a big deal really. These things get shared about social media and they possibly pick up some new followers. What's the harm? 

1 minute ago, Gav M said:

Am I the only one who thinks that teaser is a bit daft, if it's Washington anyway, as it's not exactly a secret or a surprise?

Not every one is looking at these threads on here every few minutes 

Just now, AlphonseCapone said:

I don't think it's a big deal really. These things get shared about social media and they possibly pick up some new followers. What's the harm? 

No harm, I actually think as teasers go it's quite a good one, it would just work better if it was a complete surprise ?

Prefer that to the klaxon

CloustonHMFC
1 minute ago, busby1985 said:

Uche to number 9? 

Imagine the seethe on here if the teaser was for Uche to 9 ?

He’s staying with 19 tho’. 

AlphonseCapone
1 minute ago, Gav M said:

No harm, I actually think as teasers go it's quite a good one, it would just work better if it was a complete surprise ?

Prefer that to the klaxon

Aye it's done pretty well. As for a surprise, I don't think they exist any more ?