VAR

Phil Dunphy

The Old Tolbooth
5 minutes ago, Maroon Sailor said:

I'm not dressing it up at all - terrible decision. No impact on the goal being scored 

In fact, I’ll make it even easier for you, you should be more upset at the twat from Palace who thought it was a good idea to carry out an absolutely needless shove at the time, because if that was a Liverpool defender doing that (usually Lovren funnily enough), I’d be very annoyed at that. 

• Replies 691
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Maroon Sailor

• babywhalo

• Phil Dunphy

• The Internet

The Old Tolbooth
1 minute ago, Maroon Sailor said:

Clear and obvious that the officials didn't spot

Give it a rest - your team won at the end of the day with the help of VAR again

I love the Liverpool hatred on here, it feeds me, keep up the seethe son :rofl:

Maroon Sailor
Just now, The Old Tolbooth said:

In fact, I’ll make it even easier for you, you should be more upset at the twat from Palace who thought it was a good idea to carry out an absolutely needless shove at the time, because if that was a Liverpool defender doing that (usually Lovren funnily enough), I’d be very annoyed at that. 

You don't have to make anything easy for me. I watched the game live and Lovren throwing himself to the ground was not the reason the goal was scored.

Take it up with the pundits who agree with me.

The Old Tolbooth
2 minutes ago, Maroon Sailor said:

You don't have to make anything easy for me. I watched the game live and Lovren throwing himself to the ground was not the reason the goal was scored.

Take it up with the pundits who agree with me.

Dear god, that’s just as insane as it gets 😂😂😂😂 

Maroon Sailor
3 minutes ago, The Old Tolbooth said:

I love the Liverpool hatred on here, it feeds me, keep up the seethe son :rofl:

No hatred - you're just a typical plastic fan of that club getting wound up by anybody who dares to question the decisions that go their way

The Old Tolbooth
3 minutes ago, Maroon Sailor said:

No hatred - you're just a typical plastic fan of that club getting wound up by anybody who dares to question the decisions that go their way

No hatred 😂😂

Enjoy Man Utds mid table struggle pal, lots of love, from a 6 times European champion 😘 (and trust me, it takes someone a lot smarter who can type 'Livarpool' to wind me up) 😉

LarrysRightFoot

The Sterling one is the worst. VAR cannot be used for such tight offside decisions because it cannot accurately show when the first contact on the ball is made by the player making the pass/cross. 

Edited by LarrysRightFoot

The Old Tolbooth
5 minutes ago, LarrysRightFoot said:

The Sterling one is the worst. VAR cannot be used for such tight offside decisions because it cannot accurately show when the first contact on the ball is made by the player making the pass/cross. 

Totally agree, that was a shocker of a decision, it's the same as when Salah's armpit was offside at Bramhall Lane, those decisions are immeasurable. 

Maroon Sailor
11 minutes ago, The Old Tolbooth said:

No hatred 😂😂

Enjoy Man Utds mid table struggle pal, lots of love, from a 6 times European champion 😘 (and trust me, it takes someone a lot smarter who can type 'Livarpool' to wind me up) 😉

Pathetic childish response

I've questioned many a VAR decision but as soon as it's something to do with Liverpool all reasoned debate goes out the window when the plastics start foaming and play the victim.

The Old Tolbooth
5 minutes ago, Maroon Sailor said:

Pathetic childish response

I've questioned many a VAR decision but as soon as it's something to do with Liverpool all reasoned debate goes out the window when the plastics start foaming and play the victim.

I've already given you a reasoned debate but you've chosen to completely ignore the facts, it's very clear that your hatred for Liverpool shines through, because i doubt you'd have the same ferocity if it was anyone else (call it experience)

Liverpool were lucky to win today, but the ref (and VAR) done their job (for once!)

I'll leave you to your bitter hatred now 👍

Edited by The Old Tolbooth

Cracks me up how the weird English football fans get so wound up about this.

How can someone be so passionate about an English team? Happy if someone could tell me in a reasonable way!

In the end VAR will allow ads to be put into the games at points where people will keep watching and as such lead to bigger tv deals. 

Just a guess but I’d imagine FIFA sit in awe of the NFL and it’s ability to monetize the product. 

VAR in the EPL has been an embarrassment to the game.

The folk sticking the lines over the tv frames look like they do it freehand a little, and with the ball often blurred it is hard to tell exact moment it was kicked.

VAR is doing the opposite to what golf has learned from. Until recently some pathetic viewers at home were phoning in after they noticed that a player accidentally moved their ball half a mm - only visible due to high res images and slow motion relays. This bullshit even happened in windy conditions on the greens! Thankfully the rules changed and the game isn’t being hindered by ultra strict rulings that go against the spirit of the game.

Every week they come up with a worse decision than the last. It's incredible just how much of an arse they're making of this thing. There's been times where it's been used well but then you get ones like the sterling one where it's literally just disallowed a goal for no reason, almost like they're looking for an excuse to use it and that's happened far too often. Stop following algorithms and just reverse decisions that are absolute howlers. Should probably only be used like a dozen times a season. 

Maroon Sailor

VAR does look for reasons not to award goals.

If the Palace boy headed it wide then no VAR review, goal kick to Liverpool and on with the game.

If a striker throws himself to the ground like Lovren in a similar incident, the onfield decision of the officials would stand even if VAR looked at it 

Southampton scored from a quickly taken free-kick but the ball was moving. As it was a goal scored it's checked by VAR but all o.k because the system does not get involved with re-starts !

It is one pot mess

Nothing wrong with VAR but the way it's been implemented in England is shambolic. Constantly looking for ways to disallow goals.

LiVARpool won't be complaining though.

Maroon Sailor

FS just give Sheffield United the goal !

Jesus

This VAR is hard work

Goal stands and rightly so, despite their best efforts to find a reason not to

Edited by Maroon Sailor

the VAR people say they wrongly allowed danny ings goal yesterday for southampton. that decision might have been the last thing that cost sanchez flores his job 

• 4 weeks later...
On 19/06/2019 at 21:53, Phil Dunphy said:

Anyone who supports its introduction doesn't understand football.

Football isn't the sport for you. Sorry.

**** me, I was right again.

Another week of astonishing marginal offsides given.

There is no way, VAR can decide what freeze frame to use and make these decisions.

A goal given for Liverpool after being   wrongly chopped off for handball.

The problem here and not mentioned by the MOTD panel, the ref blew for a free kick befor Mane scored.

Bad reffing, not bad VAR.

Edit:

Holy ****, now just seen Sheff Utd get a goal chopped off

Edited by Tommy Brown

1 minute ago, Tommy Brown said:

Another week of astonishing marginal offsides given.

There is no way, VAR can decide what freeze frame to use and make these decisions.

A goal given for Liverpool after being   wrongly chopped off for handball.

The problem here and not mentioned by the MOTD panel, the ref blew for a free kick befor Mane scored.

Bad reffing, not bad VAR.

On the sky coverage I'm sure they said he blew after the goal and that was partly why VAR took so long to reach their decision as they were checking that.

I agree about it being bad reffing though. It was never a handball by Lallana. Equally the initial free kick awarded to Spurs when Gazzaniga took out Abraham the other week was mental. VAR is getting involved too much partly because the officials are incapable of making the right decisions at the time.

7 minutes ago, Taffin said:

On the sky coverage I'm sure they said he blew after the goal and that was partly why VAR took so long to reach their decision as they were checking that.

I agree about it being bad reffing though. It was never a handball by Lallana. Equally the initial free kick awarded to Spurs when Gazzaniga took out Abraham the other week was mental. VAR is getting involved too much partly because the officials are incapable of making the right decisions at the time.

Did Sky proove that?

I watch again, but I was sure he whistled before Mane shot.

EDIT:

Now watched it 4 times, definately blew efore Mane scored.

Now, just seen the incident with the ref interfering with play. totally pissin' on Sheff Utd

Edited by Tommy Brown

On 01/12/2019 at 14:35, Nunya Business said:

Another weekend, another VAR shambles.

Unfortunately they have invested too much cash and too many reputations for the suits to scrap it now. It's useful in rugby only because the pile up of bodies makes it impossible for refs to make decisions in many cases. In football it's a pain in the arse, life's not fair sometimes, and football should just man-up and take the rough with the smooth, just like we had to yesterday with a crap referee.

The argument that there's so much money at stake that we need to have VAR just shows how money has corrupted the game.

17 minutes ago, Tommy Brown said:

Did Sky proove that?

I watch again, but I was sure he whistled before Mane shot.

EDIT:

Now watched it 4 times, definately blew efore Mane scored.

Now, just seen the incident with the ref interfering with play. totally pissin' on Sheff Utd

They said the ball was dead before he blew and were quite definitive about it. I don't really know how they work it out but my initial thoughts when it happened live was that he blew before Mane scored, same as you.

Edit: just watched a clip on YouTube and it sounded as though he blew after the goal, but of course it wasnt a great clip so I maybe missed a previous whistle.

Edited by Taffin

Genuinely be better off running it from a pub somewhere and let the locals decide what happened. Could do a roadshow thing in different towns every week, less of a circus than what's going on just now. 

I hate the stuff with the lines on the screen showing players offside by a toe nail. I've even switched games off I was watching because it is spoiling it for me. 

How to improve it?

Get rid of the lines. Let the VAR guy watch it back at full speed just like the ref and linesman have to. This would remove the clear errors. Reviews of trips and kicked require the reviewer to have an opinion. I don't see why offside calls should not be the same

While some people have said the offside rule needs changed FIFA have just said the leagues are using VAR wrongly suggesting these offside decisions are not what VAR was meant to do - correct clear and obvious errors. 

https://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/premier-league/premier-league-var-wrong-offside-review-ifab-goals-replays-a9264306.html

Edited by Mikey1874

Well worth a read on VAR, and the author's views on changes that have been made to VAR, improvements to be more accurate,  mistakes being made by notably EPL, why IFAB are unlikely to fundamentally change offside law as has been suggested.

Also taking time to respond to comments.

I used to be a staunch supporter of VAR. Not the way it's currently being implemented though.

I'm now a supporter of a revamp of the offside rule. If any part of the body of the striker is in line with any part of the body of the defender in question then it should not be offside. I'm fed up with this "offside by a toe" malarkey.

If they brought it in up here it would make no difference. They would still give Edourds dive in the SCF as a pen to them and deny us if it was the other way round. It'll be reviewed by Old Firm apologists. Best saving the cash.

Rangers are howling for VAR again.     Because they know fine that the powers that be will be terrified that it will disadvantage them.     

VAR is a winner for them.    For those who do not terrify the powers that be it will be a lottery and an end to any rare advantageous things vs Rangers.    

VAR is a pisstake. Get rid. It’s strangling the life out the game. 

The offsides of Moussett, Pukki yesterday or the day before were a pisstake. 

Just now, Cruyff said:

VAR is a pisstake. Get rid. It’s strangling the life out the game. 

The offsides of Moussett, Pukki yesterday or the day before were a pisstake. 

Have a look at yesterday's, they make you cry.

Still the same useless referees in charge of it.. wouldn't change a thing. They will look at things that benefit the old firm and ignore the rest... 

1 hour ago, DETTY29 said:

Well worth a read on VAR, and the author's views on changes that have been made to VAR, improvements to be more accurate,  mistakes being made by notably EPL, why IFAB are unlikely to fundamentally change offside law as has been suggested.

Also taking time to respond to comments.

Good read.

Need changes to fix the offside problem because it is potentially corrupt. It is difficult to tell exactly when the ball was kicked as it is a blur, and when we're measuring attackers being offside by a cm then the blur of the ball becomes a real problem.

Maybe Hawkeye will solve this by computerising offside decisions in real time detecting the precise moment the ball left the boot from their 3D meshes.

But until that can be achieved, I think a defined margin of error needs to become part of the rule. Clear and obvious for offsides has to be determined to stop all this nonsense ruining the game with the benefit of the doubt to the attacker. For example, 3 cm could be the minimum distance required before VAR can overrule an offside decision, so the bawhair marginals mean the goal stands.

Edited by kila

Footballfirst

Who has best benefited most from VAR decisions?

For Against Difference
Stats via Opta as of 30 December 2019
Southampton 6 1 5
Brighton 7 3 4
Man Utd 4 1 3
Liverpool 4 2 2
Bournemouth 3 1 2
Leicester 5 4 1
Tottenham 5 4 1
Burnley 3 2 1
Crystal Palace 3 2 1
Watford 2 1 1
Newcastle 1 0 1
West Ham 4 4 0
Man City 2 3 -1
Aston Villa 1 2 -1
Everton 1 2 -1
Arsenal 1 3 -2
Chelsea 2 5 -3
Norwich 1 4 -3
Wolves 0 5 -5
Sheffield United 1 7 -6

10 minutes ago, kila said:

Good read.

Need changes to fix the offside problem because it is potentially corrupt. It is difficult to tell exactly when the ball was kicked as it is a blur, and when we're measuring attackers being offside by a cm then the blur of the ball becomes a real problem.

Maybe Hawkeye will solve this by computerising offside decisions in real time detecting the precise moment the ball left the boot from their 3D meshes.

But until that can be achieved, I think a defined margin of error needs to become part of the rule. Clear and obvious for offsides has to be determined to stop all this nonsense ruining the game with the benefit of the doubt to the attacker. For example, 3 cm could be the minimum distance required before VAR can overrule an offside decision, so the bawhair marginals mean the goal stands.

Offside under VAR quite simple. If the attackers feet are offside then they are offside. Any other part of the body shouldn't count.

2 minutes ago, John Findlay said:

Offside under VAR quite simple. If the attackers feet are offside then they are offside. Any other part of the body shouldn't count.

Aye but the problem is that isn't the rule - so if they change the rule, do lines officials now look at players feet? In which case teams will need to have colour contrasting boots on.

Edited by kila

Footballfirst

TRFC statement on VAR injustices

RANGERS is today repeating its call for the introduction of VAR (Video Assistant Referee) following Sunday’s Premiership victory at Parkhead.

Rangers believes Scottish referees need additional help if match officials are to get more of the big decisions correct and the club is convinced VAR would provide that extra assistance.

Rangers Managing Director Stewart Robertson said: “This is not a criticism of referees because they often have to perform under very difficult conditions and in a highly emotive environment, as do our players and coaches.

“The speed at which the modern game is played also means it is extremely difficult to make split-second calls with the degree of certainty required.

“We believe the introduction of VAR would help referees enormously and reduce the number of wrong decisions which sometimes have a dramatic effect on the outcome of matches.

“In recent weeks, Rangers has suffered from errors of judgement but it is our strong view that VAR would be to the benefit of everyone and in particular the referees themselves.”

In this month (December) alone, Rangers has suffered from three glaring errors in key matches. On December 4 at Pittodrie the referee failed to see Alfredo Morelos had been fouled inside the box and awarded a free kick outside the penalty area. The referee apologised to Steven Gerrard after the match but the damage had been done and Rangers had to settle for a 2-2 draw and the loss of two points.

Then, just four days later at Hampden, Rangers lost the Betfred Cup final when the officials failed to see that not just one, but three players were clearly offside when the only goal of the final was scored.

On Sunday, during the final game before the January break, the referee and his assistants awarded a goal even though the ball had been deflected into Allan McGregor’s net off a hand of an opposing player. That goal should never have stood and would undoubtedly have been overturned had VAR been in use.

A number of other incidents, including the clear foul by Julien on Alfredo Morelos as he attempted to break clear, were also missed. Instead, and inexplicably, a foul was given against Alfredo. There can be little doubt Alfredo is singled out for special attention, on and off the field of play. Indeed, some of the things said and written about him leave a lot to be desired and do nothing to suggest Scottish football is the most welcoming of environments.

Even Alfredo’s gesture as he left the pitch is now being portrayed in some quarters as something sinister when, in fact, it is a gesture used commonly throughout South America to indicate quite simply that something – in this case, the match – is finished.

However, the main point is that VAR, which is now used in many leagues throughout Europe, would help eradicate refereeing mistakes and greatly assist our match officials. At the very least, the SFA/SPFL must now seriously consider the introduction of the system at the earliest opportunity otherwise the Scottish game is in danger of being left behind.

Rangers has already written to SFA chief executive Ian Maxwell asking that the association look at consideration the introduction of VAR and the club is once again urging both governing bodies to give this matter serious consideration and study.

Rangers is aware of the financial argument against VAR but the cost to clubs which suffer from such game-changing decisions and the integrity of our game must also be given priority.

7 minutes ago, milky_26 said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/50944416

IFAB basically saying the use of VAR in england is being done wrong

"If you spend multiple minutes trying to identify whether it is offside or not, then it's not clear and obvious and the original decision should stand," 

But the problem is what is clear and obvious for offsides? It has to be a measurable distance for consistent rule enforcing. A player being offside by 1m is clear and obvious, but what about 5cm? Maybe 10cm it is getting closer to clear and obvious? It then becomes a big grey area not solving anything.

The clear and obvious only works for major referee decisions. Missing a blatant penalty, booking the wrong person etc.

Edited by kila

1 hour ago, Footballfirst said:

TRFC statement on VAR injustices

RANGERS is today repeating its call for the introduction of VAR (Video Assistant Referee) following Sunday’s Premiership victory at Parkhead.

Rangers believes Scottish referees need additional help if match officials are to get more of the big decisions correct and the club is convinced VAR would provide that extra assistance.

Rangers Managing Director Stewart Robertson said: “This is not a criticism of referees because they often have to perform under very difficult conditions and in a highly emotive environment, as do our players and coaches.

“The speed at which the modern game is played also means it is extremely difficult to make split-second calls with the degree of certainty required.

“We believe the introduction of VAR would help referees enormously and reduce the number of wrong decisions which sometimes have a dramatic effect on the outcome of matches.

“In recent weeks, Rangers has suffered from errors of judgement but it is our strong view that VAR would be to the benefit of everyone and in particular the referees themselves.”

In this month (December) alone, Rangers has suffered from three glaring errors in key matches. On December 4 at Pittodrie the referee failed to see Alfredo Morelos had been fouled inside the box and awarded a free kick outside the penalty area. The referee apologised to Steven Gerrard after the match but the damage had been done and Rangers had to settle for a 2-2 draw and the loss of two points.

Then, just four days later at Hampden, Rangers lost the Betfred Cup final when the officials failed to see that not just one, but three players were clearly offside when the only goal of the final was scored.

On Sunday, during the final game before the January break, the referee and his assistants awarded a goal even though the ball had been deflected into Allan McGregor’s net off a hand of an opposing player. That goal should never have stood and would undoubtedly have been overturned had VAR been in use.

A number of other incidents, including the clear foul by Julien on Alfredo Morelos as he attempted to break clear, were also missed. Instead, and inexplicably, a foul was given against Alfredo. There can be little doubt Alfredo is singled out for special attention, on and off the field of play. Indeed, some of the things said and written about him leave a lot to be desired and do nothing to suggest Scottish football is the most welcoming of environments.

Even Alfredo’s gesture as he left the pitch is now being portrayed in some quarters as something sinister when, in fact, it is a gesture used commonly throughout South America to indicate quite simply that something – in this case, the match – is finished.

However, the main point is that VAR, which is now used in many leagues throughout Europe, would help eradicate refereeing mistakes and greatly assist our match officials. At the very least, the SFA/SPFL must now seriously consider the introduction of the system at the earliest opportunity otherwise the Scottish game is in danger of being left behind.

Rangers has already written to SFA chief executive Ian Maxwell asking that the association look at consideration the introduction of VAR and the club is once again urging both governing bodies to give this matter serious consideration and study.

Rangers is aware of the financial argument against VAR but the cost to clubs which suffer from such game-changing decisions and the integrity of our game must also be given priority.

No shame