VAR

Phil Dunphy

Maroon Sailor
1 hour ago, XB52 said:

Finally you get it. The rule, whether there is var or not, is that any handball that leads to a goal means the goal is disallowed. Most agree that it's very harsh but that is the new rule and it's not var that makes the rule, it just helps the ref implement it. 

Listen I've always got that - it's you that's not understanding what I'm saying.

Don't tell me the implementation of VAR this season has nothing to do with this rule change for accidental handball that leads to a goal.

They want black and white decisions for every goal and the only way they can get that is through technology.

Last season no VAR goal stands

This season VAR goal disallowed

Funny old thing with a rule change and VAR eh ? Maybe just a coincidence

• Replies 691
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Maroon Sailor

• babywhalo

• Phil Dunphy

• The Internet

1 hour ago, Maroon Sailor said:

Listen I've always got that - it's you that's not understanding what I'm saying.

Don't tell me the implementation of VAR this season has nothing to do with this rule change for accidental handball that leads to a goal.

They want black and white decisions for every goal and the only way they can get that is through technology.

Last season no VAR goal stands

This season VAR goal disallowed

Funny old thing with a rule change and VAR eh ? Maybe just a coincidence

Last post on this as you are just arguing for arguing sake. This season no var in Scotland, penalty given for that handball if the referee sees it. I repeat No VAR

Maroon Sailor
35 minutes ago, XB52 said:

Last post on this as you are just arguing for arguing sake. This season no var in Scotland, penalty given for that handball if the referee sees it. I repeat No VAR

Yeah we'll see how that goes ! Hence why Scotland are giving VAR a swerve.

The rule change is accidental handball gets the same punishment as blatant handball if it leads to a goal being scored.

Why do you think that came in ?

8 minutes ago, Maroon Sailor said:

Yeah we'll see how that goes ! Hence why Scotland are giving VAR a swerve.

The rule change is accidental handball gets the same punishment as blatant handball if it leads to a goal being scored.

Why do you think that came in ?

I've already told you why it came in. 

Think we may be going around in circles on this one...

Maroon Sailor
9 minutes ago, babywhalo said:

I've already told you why it came in. 

Think we may be going around in circles on this one...

You think it's got nothing to do with the implementation of VAR / technology.

I disagree

So we can shake hands on it and both be happy with our respective opinion.

9 minutes ago, Maroon Sailor said:

You think it's got nothing to do with the implementation of VAR / technology.

I disagree

So we can shake hands on it and both be happy with our respective opinion.

Happy to agree to disagree. 

The Internet

Not sure why the wolves goal was disallowed when that handball against the Chelsea defender there wasn't even looked at. 

• 2 months later...

Thought I would bump this thread. 

Just watching some EPL highlights and I think I've finally come to a conclusion after not really being sure over the last year or so, VAR is making an absolute ***** of the game. 

I hope to **** we can't afford it up here. 

9 hours ago, VALDOS' said:

Thought I would bump this thread. 

Just watching some EPL highlights and I think I've finally come to a conclusion after not really being sure over the last year or so, VAR is making an absolute ***** of the game. 

I hope to **** we can't afford it up here. 

We have an advantage in that we don't have it.   We can still Vito it. 

Here is a formula I created:

VAR = GTF ASAP 

Get it in the bin. They've brought this in with no plan whatsoever. 'let's just have guys in the back watching the game and let them make the decisions and see what happens'. Arsenal's disallowed goal is the worst one yet. 

SectionDJambo

The problem, to me, seems to be that the match referee is not going to look at incidents himself. He’s taking the word of someone else.

Why aren’t they going over to see these incidents on the screen, instead of allowing some faceless guy in a van, or wherever, make decisions for them. Instead of having one referee, they now have two.

1 hour ago, SectionDJambo said:

The problem, to me, seems to be that the match referee is not going to look at incidents himself. He’s taking the word of someone else.

Why aren’t they going over to see these incidents on the screen, instead of allowing some faceless guy in a van, or wherever, make decisions for them. Instead of having one referee, they now have two.

More than two. 3 or 4. There is human error in the VAR rooms. So bin it and leave the human error with the referee on the pitch and his two assistants.

• 2 weeks later...
Maroon Sailor

Read the other day someone suggesting they should have 30 seconds to review a decision. If they can't make their minds up after that time the onfield decision stands.

Certainly one way of improving it. To be offside by a toe nail as in Sheffield United yesterday is ridiculous and not what VAR was brought in for.

Edited by Maroon Sailor

9 minutes ago, Maroon Sailor said:

Read the other day someone suggesting they should have 30 seconds to review a decision. If they can't make their minds up after that time the onfield decision stands.

Certainly one way of improving it. To be offside by a toe nail as in Sheffield United yesterday is ridiculous and not what VAR was brought in for.

Ultimately it was the correct decision though. The Sheff Utd player said so after the match. 

I agree it takes way to long but we need to make sure we have correct decisions. We should recognise that more than most with the shocking standard of referees in our country. 

14 minutes ago, rick witter said:

Ultimately it was the correct decision though. The Sheff Utd player said so after the match. 

I agree it takes way to long but we need to make sure we have correct decisions. We should recognise that more than most with the shocking standard of referees in our country. 

The first Burnley goal yesterday came from a corner that was a blatant goal kick. Surely that’s the kind of thing VAR should be sorting in 2 seconds. Taking 3 1/2 minutes to workout someone’s big toe is 2cm offside is far to extreme for me.  

Byyy The Light
23 minutes ago, Russ1977 said:

The first Burnley goal yesterday came from a corner that was a blatant goal kick. Surely that’s the kind of thing VAR should be sorting in 2 seconds. Taking 3 1/2 minutes to workout someone’s big toe is 2cm offside is far to extreme for me.  

This is the issue for me. Which is why I think it should revert to the tennis and cricket way of doing things. Give the teams a couple of challenges that they can choose to use when they feel they’ve been wronged.

3 hours ago, rick witter said:

Disallowing goals because someone's toe or armpit hair was offside in the build up isn't what this system should be used for. Especially when its been marketed as a tool for correcting clear and obvious errors. It's absolute shite. If he was a yard offside then yeah, disallow it, don't take 5 minutes desperately looking for ways to disallow goals to cause drama. 

Yesterday's Sheff Utd decision was ridiculous. Breaking it down 50 frames per second to see if a players toe might just be 1 inch offside is a joke. It took nearly 4 minutes to come to that decision as well, they have to put a time limit on it and have clear criteria of what they are looking for. 

No way will it be implemented up here, it'd cause riots. 

i have said on other threads about var or var decisions it seems to be the way that the fa have implemented and interpreted the var rules that are causing the issues. there seems to be a lot less issues with it in the champions league, maybe they need to move to the way it is implemented there. 

we have had the sheff utd goal yesterday, dele allis handball not given last week, the david silva goal that was by var given to de bruyne but the goals panel gave it to silva and it that is the case sterling was offside and silva even told the ref he touched it. i dont think we would have had these controversies in the CL.

They should use the offside decisions as a clear and obvious error as well.

This centimetres rubbish is not a clear and obvious error.

A clear and obvious error would be the Arsenal goal against Utd being given after checking var for the original offside decision.

The handball rule is nonsense as well.

When you have a goal flicking off Laporte getting disallowed and Del Ali handball not being a penalty.

VAR wrongly disallowing goals every week.

Pundits slating its use.

Fans all around the league singing '**** VAR'.

Are some people still clamouring for its introduction?

• 2 weeks later...

Hadn't realized that clown Mike Riley was in charge of VAR for the EPL until this week.

That explains a lot.

He now admits that VAR  overturned four perfectly good on-field decisions from the last fixtures two weeks ago.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/50517096

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2019/11/22/mike-riley-says-var-errors-have-made-asks-premier-league-keep/

The clown rabbles on a lot of flannel, without explaining why they are letting VAR overturn.

As has been said before, VAR technology works fine.

The problem lies in the useless muppets in charge.

They haven't got a clue how to use it, when to use and how quickly to use it.

31 minutes ago, Cade said:

As has been said before, VAR technology works fine.

The problem lies in the useless muppets in charge.

They haven't got a clue how to use it, when to use and how quickly to use it.

:spoton:

They could start with seeing how it's implemented in other countries where it is much less controversial. 

SectionDJambo

Just watching Soccer Saturday.

The general opinion on a fortnight ago, is that Manchester City would have got the early hand ball penalty, had Liverpool not ran up the park and scored before the VAR people could decide. Too controversial to rule out the goal and give the penalty, especially at Anfield.

They also think that the VAR people are looking like they are trying too hard to rule out goals. The 3 minutes and 45 minutes to rule out the Sheffield United goal at Spurs used as an example. Should be giving the attacking team the benefit of any doubt, which they had always been the rule anyway.

If they can’t decide within 1 minute, it’s not clear and obvious.

Some of offside decisions have been ridiculous. MM offside.

We want clear offside/onside reverted. 

If there freeze framing and it's not obvious, give the benefit to attackers and move on.

It's impossible to say when the ball was played and measure to some the decisions we have seen been made.

Maroon Sailor

Palace denied by VAR

Might as well rename the red scouse as Livarpool the amount of times they have benefitted from this farce of a system

Just now, Maroon Sailor said:

Palace denied by VAR

Might as well rename the red scouse as Livarpool the amount of times they have benefitted from this farce of a system

Its not there fault, there has been plenty shit decisions from VAR for alot of clubs.

4 minutes ago, Maroon Sailor said:

Sterling goal chalked off by VAR as his armpit hair was offside

4 minutes ago, Nunya Business said:

VAR ruling out another goal for a nonsense offside decision. I can’t imagine why anyone clamours for this. 

2 minutes ago, Cruyff Turn said:

Absolute load of shite is VAR.

Laughable decision, that was a good goal that

Maroon Sailor
2 minutes ago, Smithee said:

When are they going to come to their senses about this system ?

Clear and obvious

Ironic thing is that couldn't be more clear and obvious to understand !

The Hogfather

VAR seems to only exist to find ways to disallow perfectly good goals. The Crystal Palace goal today, Sterlings goal, Arsenal scoring against Palace, City v Spurs. It's killing the game.

I'm glad we dont have the cash forit up here,  could you imagine the conspiracy theories if willie collum was in the var room!    On a side not had money in city to win by 2 clear goals,   so was jumping about when sterling scored ,   what a shite decision, and cost me cash as well 

3 minutes ago, buba said:

I'm glad we dont have the cash forit up here,  could you imagine the conspiracy theories if willie collum was in the var room!    On a side not had money in city to win by 2 clear goals,   so was jumping about when sterling scored ,   what a shite decision, and cost me cash as well 

It is quite simply the worst change to the game in my lifetime and I'm getting old. No-one can celebrate a goal now because you're waiting for VAR to chalk it off and ruin your fun. The joy is being taken out of the game. Goal-line technology is a great addition but it's a black and white 100% correct system. VAR is still relying on humans and I'd rather have the referee and linesmen making the decisions rightly or wrongly than someone miles away . I was totally opposed to VAR before it came in but it is far, far worse than anyone could have predicted. I don't want VAR tinkering with, I want it scrapped.

6 minutes ago, ROKERITE said:

It is quite simply the worst change to the game in my lifetime and I'm getting old. No-one can celebrate a goal now because you're waiting for VAR to chalk it off and ruin your fun. The joy is being taken out of the game. Goal-line technology is a great addition but it's a black and white 100% correct system. VAR is still relying on humans and I'd rather have the referee and linesmen making the decisions rightly or wrongly than someone miles away . I was totally opposed to VAR before it came in but it is far, far worse than anyone could have predicted. I don't want VAR tinkering with, I want it scrapped.

I agree with the mackem!

The Old Tolbooth
6 hours ago, Maroon Sailor said:

Palace denied by VAR

Hahaha, are you having a laugh? That was one of the few they got right! There was a clear push in the back on Lovren, whether or not that interfered with play is irrelevant, the fact is there was a foul and it was very clear. 

Maroon Sailor
9 minutes ago, The Old Tolbooth said:

Hahaha, are you having a laugh? That was one of the few they got right! There was a clear push in the back on Lovren, whether or not that interfered with play is irrelevant, the fact is there was a foul and it was very clear. 

Take your Livarpool specs off

Ludicrous decision

The Old Tolbooth
3 minutes ago, Maroon Sailor said:

Take your Livarpool specs off

Ludicrous decision

It really wasn’t, it was a very very clear shove in the back, it’s a clear foul, don’t get me wrong, Palace didn’t deserve to lose that game, but that decision was 100% spot on. 

All roads lead to Gorgie
3 hours ago, Smithee said:

Just seen that. How the feck was that offside?

25 minutes ago, All roads lead to Gorgie said:

Just seen that. How the feck was that offside?

Sterling made a really great run to get back on, there's no way that should be offside. If that's offside the rules are wrong and need changed.

The Old Tolbooth
33 minutes ago, Maroon Sailor said:

Hahaha, keep dressing it up, it was a CLEAR shove in the back, if that happens in the middle of the park then it’s a free kick, why not in the box? Is it just because it resulted in a goal that want given against Liverpool? 

You do realise that if VAR was in play last season that Liverpool would have won the league comfortably yeah? (that’s the VAR teams view, not mine), personally I’d do away with it tbh, I think until it’s run like they do in Italy and Spain (where it’s barely noticed now), then leave it out, it’s actually a disgrace that the refs in the EPL can’t go to the pitch side monitor. 

Maroon Sailor
2 minutes ago, The Old Tolbooth said:

Hahaha, keep dressing it up, it was a CLEAR shove in the back, if that happens in the middle of the park then it’s a free kick, why not in the box? Is it just because it resulted in a goal that want given against Liverpool? 

You do realise that if VAR was in play last season that Liverpool would have won the league comfortably yeah? (that’s the VAR teams view, not mine), personally I’d do away with it tbh, I think until it’s run like they do in Italy and Spain (where it’s barely noticed now), then leave it out, it’s actually a disgrace that the refs in the EPL can’t go to the pitch side monitor. 

I'm not dressing it up at all - terrible decision. No impact on the goal being scored 

The Old Tolbooth
Just now, Maroon Sailor said:

I'm not dressing it up at all - terrible decision. No impact on the goal being scored 

Jesus you’re hard work, I’ll explain this ONE LAST TIME

There was a CLEAR AND OBVIOUS foul in the box with a shove in the back, IT DOES NOT MATTER if there was an impact on the goal being scored or not, IT WAS A FOUL! 

Understand? (In fact don’t even bother answering, you’re wearing me down!) 

Maroon Sailor

Clear and obvious that the officials didn't spot

Give it a rest - your team won at the end of the day with the help of VAR again