Milinkovic maybe......?

Section Q

4 hours ago, Mr Elwood P said:

Dunne, Lafferty, Milinkovic & Mclaughlin. All players we previously signed and have since missed. Think about it!

I Have thought about it . You are being very selective with your examples. Recruitment has been shocking under Levein as Dof and only marginally better in his time as manager. Of the 18 or so recruited this year how many would you be sad to see go.  Will have to agree to disagree. 

• Replies 360
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Beast Boy

• Mr Elwood P

• Bazzas right boot

• Notts1874

17 minutes ago, Olly Lee's left boot said:

10 good games, 37 goals  and similar in assists. 

That's ten ****ing titan like games

Its a wonder he has no been picked up by one of the big english sides for big money on those stats eh 

Bazzas right boot
Just now, kimosavi said:

Its a wonder he has no been picked up by one of the big english sides for big money on those stats eh 

Probably his inconsistently tbh. 

Plays shite for 9 games then scores 4 and assists 4, then is shite for another 9.

That week were he scored 8 in two games had me thinking he'd turned a corner, but then he was shite for the next twenty. 

Nae use. 

14 minutes ago, Olly Lee's left boot said:

Probably his inconsistently tbh. 

Plays shite for 9 games then scores 4 and assists 4, then is shite for another 9.

That week were he scored 8 in two games had me thinking he'd turned a corner, but then he was shite for the next twenty. 

Nae use. 

exactly ? no doubt  the reason he has failed down south i mean who wants a player that turns up every 10 games. 4 good games a season. You'd think he was being freed by Wigan eh 

18 hours ago, Icon of Symmetry said:

Skinny/Mulraney > Walker

Walker more of a goal threat though.

Just now, Busby8 said:

Walker more of a goal threat though.

Half a decade ago maybe.

1 minute ago, Icon of Symmetry said:

Half a decade ago maybe.

.........and he will have matured a bit more too.

7 minutes ago, Busby8 said:

.........and he will have matured a bit more too.

Who knows. He’ll be older I suppose. ?

5 hours ago, jambonian said:

I felt he wasn't used enough when he was here. A wasted talent. He's the type of player that should have a free role (within reason) and when he did take it upon himself to actually attack or cross over from one side of the field to the other, he was told to go back to where he was. I remember Levein pointing and saying something to him when he did that and his reaction was to hold his arms out wide as if to say, "what, i'm only trying to attack this team, let me get into it". Then he was rarely used away from home. A player of his talent should've been on the starting sheet every week. Maybe too attack-minded for some. Was very surprised he was offered a contract before he went down to Hull. I thought it was strange that you'd offer him one then rarely use him so what would be the point? Actually, scrub that, look at Edwards. Apart from that, i'd take him back without a doubt. Morrison may be the type that will play down the divisions throughout his career from what I've saw of him. Can't cross well enough and always has to double back on himself to pass into midfield.

I'm not sure what you mean by a free role(within reason).

I would have thought one would either have a free role or wouldn't.

5 minutes ago, JamboAl said:

Maybe Jambonian is pointing out the natural habits or instincts of players are sometimes stunted by the rigid nature of the set-up?

Latterly in the season we witnessed Mulraney make good runs across the park v Hibs that caught them out time and again. But it seemed under instruction and a designated tactic rather than off-the-cuff and the player using his own intelligence. 

Not knocking Mulraney with that comment though.  If you’re under orders it takes a brave man to go against the grain. It shouldn’t be like that though. 

5 hours ago, jambonian said:

I felt he wasn't used enough when he was here. A wasted talent. He's the type of player that should have a free role (within reason) and when he did take it upon himself to actually attack or cross over from one side of the field to the other, he was told to go back to where he was. I remember Levein pointing and saying something to him when he did that and his reaction was to hold his arms out wide as if to say, "what, i'm only trying to attack this team, let me get into it". Then he was rarely used away from home. A player of his talent should've been on the starting sheet every week. Maybe too attack-minded for some. Was very surprised he was offered a contract before he went down to Hull. I thought it was strange that you'd offer him one then rarely use him so what would be the point? Actually, scrub that, look at Edwards. Apart from that, i'd take him back without a doubt. Morrison may be the type that will play down the divisions throughout his career from what I've saw of him. Can't cross well enough and always has to double back on himself to pass into midfield.

People ask for patience towards the management but I think they lacked patience with some players.

I felt last season the chopping and changing didn’t help alongside other problems. Players used to get to play through one or two quiet matches, indifferent performances, to see what the reaction was and if they could fight through it.

It seems now they are taken out the team too quickly. Particularly in the cases of Garrucio and Bozanic imo.  Players like nothing better than a decent run of matches.

In turn, if the management think they aren’t good enough then it’s their poor recruitment. Or is it the collective coaching teams game to game analysis of picking certain players hindering continuity and consistency?

In the case of Milinkovic, we’d play guys like him week in week out years ago. Quiet game? hauled off but starts next week because he’s a player that can make things count. These guys would normally bounce back quickly and be at the heart of things soon enough. 

1 hour ago, JamboAl said:

I mean that certain players have a incline towards moving around the field of their own will without the shackles on. I remember Milinkovic switching over from left to right and the manager telling him to go back to where he was. That system is too rigid for that type of player. Some are happy to play zonal and let someone else move the ball along while he goes back to his position, Milinkovic was the type who would move around left, right, midfield, upfront etc. and look for the ball (free role)

The "within reason" bit is that we wouldn't want him standing alongside the likes of Berra in the defence, that would be pointless, but let players, especially the type he is, express themselves. Maybe that's why a few players start to look dis-interested after a while, not free enough to do what they believe they're capable of.

dunciboyjambo

Not in the know but Milinkovic just liked my comment asking if he was coming back to Gorgie.. Scarf above head by Monday I reckon! 

Maroonblood22
4 minutes ago, WeeGaz said:

He has just posted a picture of himself celebrating a goal for us with "I love this game" under it on his Instagram stories. 

Saw that as well! Wearing his hearts shorts having a kick-about too, some lad ??

648FDCA9-125D-4DE4-BDBB-FF19E7002842.jpeg

Edited by Maroonblood22

Bring Back Paulo Sergio

Exactly the type of winger we need. If he comes back he has to be a mainstay in the team. 

6 minutes ago, Arthur Morgan said:

Please bring him back ?

If he’d come back for the wage we can afford i’m sure our fans would be delighted.

44 minutes ago, kila said:

I wonder how many times he has watched the 4-0 Celtic game :D

Probably not as many times as me. ❤️

Come home David. We miss you. :wub:

On 19/06/2019 at 19:45, Icon of Symmetry said:

Probably not as many times as me. ❤️

Come home David. We miss you. :wub:

I was told over the weekend there has been contact between the player and hearts, though no idea if it will actually come to anything.

I was actually surprised at that as I felt CL didn’t get the attitude and consistency out of skinny at a level he knew he was capable of. Do we have the budget for both walker and milinkovic I don’t know 

Just now, DarthVodka said:

I was told over the weekend there has been contact between the player and hearts, though no idea if it will actually come to anything.

I was actually surprised at that as I felt CL didn’t get the attitude and consistency out of skinny at a level he knew he was capable of. Do we have the budget for both walker and milinkovic I don’t know 

Don’t get my hopes up. I can’t take the hope. ☹️

siegementality
6 minutes ago, DarthVodka said:

If we don’t then I’d have Milinkovic over Walker.

Jambof3tornado
6 minutes ago, siegementality said:

Every day of the fekkin week.

9 minutes ago, siegementality said:

Well we know for sure one of those transfers is a lot further advanced then the other ..... 

Once he managed to get his fitness levels up he did well for us

What I liked most was the effort he put in...the derby win against Hibs near the end of the season was a prime example

Played whilst injured and gave his all knowing his season was over.

Mr Elwood P
38 minutes ago, siegementality said:

30 minutes ago, Jambof3tornado said:

Every day of the fekkin week.

Why would you want to sign a player who has scored 6 goals in one season for Hearts when you could have one that scored 12? Both the same age and Walker has played over 100 more games of football. Take both but Walker is less of a gamble, in my opinion.

Just now, Mr Elwood P said:

Why would you want to sign a player who has scored 6 goals in one season for Hearts when you could have one that scored 12? Both the same age and Walker has played over 100 more games of football. Take both but Walker is less of a gamble, in my opinion.

Can’t speak for the chaps you have quoted, but for me; Milinkovic has done it recently at Hearts, and he doesn’t shit it from a battle. Walker hasn’t done it anywhere for three or four years, and lacks Milinkovic’s dig and work rate.

6 minutes ago, Icon of Symmetry said:

Can’t speak for the chaps you have quoted, but for me; Milinkovic has done it recently at Hearts, and he doesn’t shit it from a battle. Walker hasn’t done it anywhere for three or four years, and lacks Milinkovic’s dig and work rate.

And pace 

Milinkovic in a front 3 with any of Naismith, Uche & Walker is a pretty good thought. 

He's everything we need right now, much more pace than Naismith & Walker, and a great eye for goal. 

I like everything I saw of him.  Big powerful player without a shred of fear for the OF.  I'll be very pleased if Jamie Walker and him come back.

Still think we need a marquee player to boost ST sales and strengthen the squad further.

Very pleased however with the way everything is tracking along at present.

Problem could be the new manager at Hull City...….I would imagine he will want a look at all of his players and of course the player may see this as a chance for a fresh start under new management

Jamie will be the new attacking midfielder, David and Jake out wide for Uche and Naisy. 

You know whit, Lafferty might work too, a fresh start with sense a of gratitude could work for all three. I must be going soft.

Edited by ri Alban

11 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

Jamie will be the new attacking midfielder, David and Jake out wide for Uche and Naisy. 

You know whit, Lafferty might work too, a fresh start with sense a of gratitude could work for all three. I must be going soft.

That's maybe not an appealing prospect to some but I agree with you.

Tynecastlesmychurch
27 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

This.

I actually like the idea of playing walker in a slightly deeper role.

Also bring all three back. All would improve us imo. All three no doubt wish they'd never left us!

2 hours ago, Tynecastlesmychurch said:

This.

I actually like the idea of playing walker in a slightly deeper role.

Also bring all three back. All would improve us imo. All three no doubt wish they'd never left us!

We'd have a very good side if we retained Milinkovic and Lafferty as well as McLaughlin. Good goalkeeper plus 2 attacking threats to add to a spine of Berra, Souttar, Haring, Cochrane, Naismith, Uche. 

Walker would be a gamble given his injuries and lack of time recently but on his day he was a threat that could get us a goal. Something we lacked last year

Think last season we lacked another natural attacker punching from the middle of the park. 

McLean started well but faded as probably expected. 

But as Naismith dragged people about with Uche doing what Uche does, there was times we needed that other player with attacking instinct to pick the ball up when it was central. 

Both Milinkovic and Walker are very good at retaining the ball and carrying it in the last third. 

pettigrewsstylist
1 hour ago, jambo19 said:

We'd have a very good side if we retained Milinkovic and Lafferty as well as McLaughlin. Good goalkeeper plus 2 attacking threats to add to a spine of Berra, Souttar, Haring, Cochrane, Naismith, Uche. 

Walker would be a gamble given his injuries and lack of time recently but on his day he was a threat that could get us a goal. Something we lacked last year

Walker deeper is probably where im at. Suspect SN coud turn him into something formidable in that role within yr or 2. He already has the drive, aggression and shooting boots, when properly motivated.

Jambof3tornado
8 hours ago, Mr Elwood P said:

Walkers injuries and in my opinion attitude in games makes him the gamble.

Harry Potter
On 19/06/2019 at 19:01, Bring Back Paulo Sergio said:

Exactly the type of winger we need. If he comes back he has to be a mainstay in the team. 

Love to see him back.

The Old Tolbooth
On 17/06/2019 at 19:57, Debut 4 said:

People ask for patience towards the management but I think they lacked patience with some players.

I felt last season the chopping and changing didn’t help alongside other problems. Players used to get to play through one or two quiet matches, indifferent performances, to see what the reaction was and if they could fight through it.

It seems now they are taken out the team too quickly. Particularly in the cases of Garrucio and Bozanic imo.  Players like nothing better than a decent run of matches.

In turn, if the management think they aren’t good enough then it’s their poor recruitment. Or is it the collective coaching teams game to game analysis of picking certain players hindering continuity and consistency?

In the case of Milinkovic, we’d play guys like him week in week out years ago. Quiet game? hauled off but starts next week because he’s a player that can make things count. These guys would normally bounce back quickly and be at the heart of things soon enough. 

Great post and totally agree with you, players definitely don't get the chance to get a prolonged run in the side nowadays like they used to, there's no consistency built up and the level of form doesn't get a chance to actually go anywhere. 

9 hours ago, Mr Elwood P said:

Do you think Walker would attract interest of a club like Genoa? Not a chance in hell of that happening, Skinny is far more advanced as a player for me, the stumbling block would be wages though. 

9 hours ago, Icon of Symmetry said:

Walker did it 1 year before Milinkovic, and scored twice the amount of goals - 12, same as lafferty. It’s not like it’s ancient history. Also, Milinkovic’s time down south has been even more disastrous than Walker’s. Still take them both, mind.