• Maroon Sailor

• Mikey1874

• Lovecraft

• kila

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

gashauskis9
2 minutes ago, whodanny said:

Neville... "well done Sweden, but it's a nonsense game".

Yep.  If England had won today it would have been a public holiday declared on Monday.

Just now, Gashauskis9 said:

Yep.  If England had won today it would have been a public holiday declared on Monday.

Aye, third place a tremendous achievement for the lionesses...  

14 minutes ago, whodanny said:

he didn't say that did he?

joondalupjambo
18 minutes ago, milky_26 said:

Yep. Heat of the moment stuff, brain not in gear.  It is a big game in terms of showing all young girls in England what they could aspire to, it bolsters their confidence.  It also earns England more prize money, money that could go straight into grass roots football and again helps all these young girls to get involved in woman's football, helps local clubs to show what can be achieved and generally raises the profile of the game.

A multi millionaire who has won at the highest level should understand that surely. 

42 minutes ago, milky_26 said:

Yep, post match interview.

Spellczech

Phil Neville doing the talking down the game after losing routine...."We came here just to win it" - then why did you lose your last 2 games then? The lionesses have been wasteful and sloppy all tournament. They are not nearly as good as they think themselves to be.

1 hour ago, whodanny said:

You can get away with that kind of stuff without making yourself look like a classless twat - either before the match or after you have won it. No idea if the former happened, but the latter certainly didn’t.

To be fair, pretty much every pundit and commentator constantly moan and ridicule the 3rd place play off game in tournaments like the World Cup etc. Waste of time, no atmosphere, no passion in the game. 

Mind, you'd probably expect a bit more respect from a manager of one of the teams in those games though. 

Maroon Sailor

So England lost as many games as Scotland

Jolly good show

Put the kettle on

4 hours ago, jonnothejambo said:

Meaningless game when they lose.

3 hours ago, whodanny said:

However Phil Nelville before the game said "the players have inspired me to say its important to go home with a medal...something to show...bronze still looks like gold...we have to have something to show for the last 51 days.. we have to go home with success, that feeling of winning" thanks to BBC Iplayer 

He did similar before last game

Before - "lose and you are failures"

After - "well done, great game, nothing to be ashamed of"

It was different this time. Last time at World Cup getting bronze and beating Germany was success. Phil Neville was brought in to improve things. 

Edited by Mikey1874

part_time_jambo

Does anyone else cringe at this "Lionesses" tag?

Edited by part_time_jambo

Special Agent Dale Cooper
1 minute ago, part_time_jambo said:

Does anyone else cringe at this "Lionesses" tag?

Yup.

Everything's been cringey, from 'celebs' announcing the squad, onwards. All very patronising.

FA planning to hold bursd games as double headers with EPL matches.

I'm sure the men will love playing on a freshly cut-up pitch a couple of hours after the women have been playing on it.

The change-over of fans will also be interesting for the security services.

highlandjambo3

They also seemed very unhappy and clearly undone (cheated) at their obvious disallowed goal due to handball but, imagine if the shoe was on the other foot and it was a Dutch second goal that was allowed for an equaliser.... melt down..... I mean we’d probably be much the same but, when you initially make a judgment which is later clearly shown up as wrong after VAR replay, you look like a real twat ignoring this....

which is exactly what their pundits do.

18 hours ago, Spellczech said:

Phil Neville doing the talking down the game after losing routine...."We came here just to win it" - then why did you lose your last 2 games then? The lionesses have been wasteful and sloppy all tournament. They are not nearly as good as they think themselves to be.

I actually think England women were good enough to win it. 

Imo the blame lies with Neville, i thought the tactics were none existent in the way of going forward, they sat back defended and individually ran forward.

Poor management but for some reason the media don't want to highlight that. Same with the english Male team. 

8 minutes ago, jonnothejambo said:

The pleasing thing is that it ended up the way it always does.

Namely down the shitter faster than a two pound Sir John Barbaroli. 

Lionesses ? 

Feckin arse featured pussies mair like.

Delicate.

Spellczech
22 minutes ago, jumpship said:

Imo the blame lies with Neville, i thought the tactics were none existent in the way of going forward, they sat back defended and individually ran forward.

Poor management but for some reason the media don't want to highlight that. Same with the english Male team. 

I thought they had the same problem as Scotland in that they could attack but not defend. Both teams had one good defender (Corsie and Houghton) who both made mistakes as they were covering for their teammates hopelessness. 

Only contrast was that Scotland did not attack enough, because they knew about their defensive weakness and sacrificed attacking for team defence, whilst England were wasteful in attack and when they came up against other teams which could also attack they were exposed defensively. 

Thus although Kerr got a fair bit of criticism she did actually see and try to cover for a poor defence, whereas Neville failed to address his team's defensive weaknesses and they lost when it mattered, yet he garnered plaudits.

Edited by Spellczech

John Findlay
1 hour ago, jumpship said:

No. They weren't good enough. First game against Scotland proved that. Two years earlier you beat Scotland 6-0 in opening game. Then just manage a 2-1 victory. Tells you other nations catching you up and some overtaking you. To much over confidence from winning the she believe cup. Gave them a false sense of superiority.

VAR gives (correct) decision against you = It's killing football, get rid of it.

VAR gives (correct) decision for you = It's the best thing to be brought to the game in years.

highlandjambo3

Ok so predictions on the mention of 1966?

ill say 3 times..... twice in buildup and once at half time.... 

hope to copy/paste this result later ?

8 minutes ago, jonnothejambo said:

I toned it down for fear of a ban, mon ami. 

6 minutes ago, jonnothejambo said:

If it's prick Pierce I'll go for 2 x 1966 and 15 mentions of the humped bursds. 

Still ‘toning things down’?

:whistling:

It's a strange one for the English today. Pierce is otherwise a good enough commentator. 

A question I would ask in relation to other teams not playing today is will they mention France who were also beaten narrowly 2-1 but decisively by a team that could have won more handsomely like the England game.  France who have a case for best of the rest team in tournament.

And England. Who celebrated winning third place play off 4 years ago. But now discard that game as meaningless.

And crucially the emerging strength of the womens game elsewhere. Whereby England might not be one of the best in 4 years. Or whether US need to diversify talent away from just the college system. 

And Neville. All but 1 of all major tournaments this century have been won by women coaches. 

But surely today is about English born (Portsmouth) US coach Ellis. First time a coach has won successive World Cups since Victorio Pozzo for Italy in 1938. Who got her break when her family moved to US at 14 when she couldn't play football in England because there weren't any girls teams. 

I'll find out later when I watch the game on catch up. 

Edited by Mikey1874

TyphoonJambo
18 minutes ago, jonnothejambo said:

If it's prick Pierce I'll go for 2 x 1966 and 15 mentions of the humped bursds. 

If its pierce, ill predict 1966 mentioned at least twice before start, once at half time and once during awards ceremony. 

All roads lead to Gorgie

That was an excellent pass to the lineswoman there ☺️

The Mighty Thor

It's a bit like watching youth football when kids first transition to 11 a side. 

The pitch looks too big for them and they haven't got the power to move the ball about it. 

Edited by The Mighty Thor

skinnybob72

This is about the same standard as yon celebrity / ex pro game that the likes of Gordon Ramsay and Olly Murs play in. 

1 hour ago, John Findlay said:

No. They weren't good enough. First game against Scotland proved that. Two years earlier you beat Scotland 6-0 in opening game. Then just manage a 2-1 victory. Tells you other nations catching you up and some overtaking you. To much over confidence from winning the she believe cup. Gave them a false sense of superiority.

Suppose we could argue about this all day but I recon your stat backs up my argument. It was Neville holding them back with crap defensive tactics, hit on the break  nonsense. 

England were one off if not the - biggest, strongest, fittest in the world cup. 

(Thanks to the english game being professional)

Neville is a failure.  

John Findlay
8 minutes ago, jumpship said:

Suppose we could argue about this all day but I recon your stat backs up my argument. It was Neville holding them back with crap defensive tactics, hit on the break  nonsense. 

England were one off if not the - biggest, strongest, fittest in the world cup. 

(Thanks to the english game being professional)

Neville is a failure.  

There are actually 23 failures as only 1 can be the winner. So he's not alone in your thinking.

Brighton Jambo
1 hour ago, Cade said:

VAR gives (correct) decision against you = It's killing football, get rid of it.

VAR gives (correct) decision for you = It's the best thing to be brought to the game in years.

You mean like they snotters and tears on here when that penalty was made to be retaken against Scotland? 

Brighton Jambo
36 minutes ago, whodanny said:

Feckin' loads of cavemen on here today.

This.  It must be a sad existence to feel the need to come onto this thread mid game and slag the standard of women’s football despite the thread tag clearly stating this isn’t the place.

Pathetic isn’t it.

Brighton Jambo
8 hours ago, Spellczech said:

That is 2 WCs in a row that the expected winners have finished 4th. Same country too...

Really aye?  Find me one article and or link or thread where England fans said they thought they would win the 2018 World Cup.  Nearly every England fan would have bitten your hand off for a quarter final finish.  

Doesnt fit with the preconceived story though does it.  

2 minutes ago, Brighton Jambo said:

This.  It must be a sad existence to feel the need to come onto this thread mid game and slag the standard of women’s football despite the thread tag clearly stating this isn’t the place.

Pathetic isn’t it.

I'd like to see some of these cretins face up to either of the sides playing here today. They'd soil their frillies.

Spellczech
1 minute ago, Brighton Jambo said:

Really aye?  Find me one article and or link or thread where England fans said they thought they would win the 2018 World Cup.  Nearly every England fan would have bitten your hand off for a quarter final finish.  

Doesnt fit with the preconceived story though does it.  

There were plenty of England fans, commentators and journalists who were talking about winning the WC once the draw opened up for them. Where were you last summer? Brighton have a media outage?

Brighton Jambo
6 minutes ago, Spellczech said:

There were plenty of England fans, commentators and journalists who were talking about winning the WC once the draw opened up for them. Where were you last summer? Brighton have a media outage?

Wouldn’t know I live in Glasgow!