• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Maroon Sailor

• Mikey1874

• Lovecraft

• kila

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The more VAR is integrated, the more need there is for a timekeeper and the clock stops when the ref goes to the monitor...

Oh and temporary subs, especially for head / blood knocks.

Spellczech
8 minutes ago, Brighton Jambo said:

Wouldn’t know I live in Glasgow! 

Fair enough. To be expected in the most parochial city on Earth...

All roads lead to Gorgie

Clear pen but you can see by the non reaction to by the keeper to save it that goalies are now feared to make any moves prior to the kick being struck. 

Brighton Jambo
5 minutes ago, Spellczech said:

Fair enough. To be expected in the most parochial city on Earth...

Joking aside clearly once the World Cup started I agree there was plenty of that chat I read your initial post as pre World Cup where just for once expectations seemed semi realistic 

All roads lead to Gorgie

Pierce continues to name check English clubs at every opportunity. 

Spellczech
4 minutes ago, Brighton Jambo said:

Joking aside clearly once the World Cup started I agree there was plenty of that chat I read your initial post as pre World Cup where just for once expectations seemed semi realistic 

Agreed they were ok before the tournament, but similar to the women's team, they seem to get carried away by struggling past the minnows... I'd hate to think we were to do the same if we ever got out the groups (or even qualify again!!!!!). We learned from 1978, the English never do...

Spellczech
2 minutes ago, All roads lead to Gorgie said:

Pierce continues to name check English clubs at every opportunity. 

It's not new. Last summer they would always say things like Sergio Aguerro of Manchester City when he is playing for Argentina...We can only suppose or hope that it is for the benefit of viewers who don't usually watch football, but I doubt it is...

All roads lead to Gorgie
3 minutes ago, Spellczech said:

It's not new. Last summer they would always say things like Sergio Aguerro of Manchester City when he is playing for Argentina...We can only suppose or hope that it is for the benefit of viewers who don't usually watch football, but I doubt it is...

Maybe but once he has said such and such a player plays or played for Arsenal or whoever then he doesn't need to repeat it over and over again :thumbsup:

Spellczech

Dutch no 9 only turned up for the first couple of games. She's an immobile spectator, which is not what you need against the USA who are all total atheletes. That girl Lavalle who looks like a methhead just never stops running.

Jeez the no 9 just did a sprint - in the 95th minute and in the wrong direction. Only one with enough energy left to run in the last minute.

Edited by Spellczech

John Findlay
53 minutes ago, Brighton Jambo said:

You mean like they snotters and tears on here when that penalty was made to be retaken against Scotland? 

Get over it. You failed again.

2 minutes ago, Spellczech said:

Dutch no 9 only turned up for the first couple of games. She's an immobile spectator, which is not what you need against the USA who are all total atheletes. That girl Lavalle who looks like a methhead just never stops running.

Harsh! ?

Lavelle is player of the tournament  for me. Great athlete, fast as feck and very skilful in possession. 

This will be the last world cup America will win.. everyone else is turning professional and they are already catching up.. 

27 minutes ago, Barack said:

Pretty much confirms their non-appearance at the White House now.

S’pose you're more likely to know this than anyone else on here.

ITK.

3fingersreid

Perhaps not the greatest final -certainly not the worst I’ve seen , including the men’s game - but overall a good tournament that will hopefully win over a few more fans to the women’s game and even more so , hopefully allow the women’s/girls game to develop further . 

Well done one to all involved in the women’s World Cup ????

Hopefully see see a few of you up at the Oriam as the Hearts women’s season starts back up and we get our promotion challenge back on the road ??????????

Maple Leaf

I thought it was a pretty ho-hum game, but the Americans deserved to win.  Their second goal was a cracker.

Brighton Jambo
28 minutes ago, John Findlay said:

Get over it. You failed again.

The inferiority complex is strong with this one.

Edited by Brighton Jambo

John Findlay
7 minutes ago, Brighton Jambo said:

The inferiority complex is strong with this one.

Hahahaha

John Findlay
15 minutes ago, Maple Leaf said:

I thought it was a pretty ho-hum game, but the Americans deserved to win.  Their second goal was a cracker.

They have been the best team in the tournament from the moment they kicked off against Thailand. Well deserved winners.

Just now, John Findlay said:

They have been the best team in the tournament from the moment they kicked off against Thailand. Well deserved winners.

:thumbsup:

By a country mile, John.

Maple Leaf
6 minutes ago, John Findlay said:

Yes.  Today both teams gave away the ball a lot ... it reminded me of the Hearts at times! :wink:

All roads lead to Gorgie

I enjoyed the tournament as a whole and the best coached and talented team won in end. Well done USA. 

Scotland's collapse against Argentina will remain in the memory for some time though unfortunately ?

1 hour ago, Barack said:

Pretty much confirms their non-appearance at the White House now.

Trump's congratulatory tweet may be worth waiting for......

And the responses from the USA team members......

Edited by DETTY29

Seymour M Hersh

The Yanks are several levels of professionalism, gamesmanship and financial support ahead of the rest of the world and it showed throughout the tournament. For me it's still very much like watching schoolboy football and I wouldn't pay to do that. Still the quality has leaped forward a great deal in four years and hopefully in another four it will have done so again. 

Edited by Seymour M Hersh

12 minutes ago, DETTY29 said:

Trump's congratulatory tweet may be worth waiting for......

And the responses from the USA team members......

Aye!

To keep the missus happy, hopefully the German's sort themselves out going forward. They've been going slowly backwards for a while now. At club level and national. They've gone from being Euro champions for 20+ years, U21 champions, regular World Cup winners and semi finalists, Olympic winners and their clubs dominating the Champions League, to getting papped out in the quarters of the Euros and World Cup, while the clubs watch Lyon hoover up in Europe. 

Probably as others have said, professionalism is picking up elsewhere and catching up with the German's but, really, they and the French should be light years ahead of the rest. 

Edited by Normthebarman

8 minutes ago, Seymour M Hersh said:

The Yanks are several levels of professionalism, gamesmanship and financial support ahead of the rest of the world and it showed throughout the tournament. For me it's still very much like watching schoolboy football and I wouldn't pay to do that. Still the quality has leaped forward a great deal in four years and hopefully in another four it will have done so again. 

They're not. The German's and French pay waaaaaaaaay more. Bundesliga and the French almost double what the Yanks pay. The English are 3rd, sitting roughly halfway between the German's and US. 

Seymour M Hersh
2 minutes ago, Normthebarman said:

They're not. The German's and French pay waaaaaaaaay more. Bundesliga and the French almost double what the Yanks pay. The English are 3rd, sitting roughly halfway between the German's and US. 

I wasn't really meaning just pay but the High School and College system that they come through is far better funded than anything in Europe to my knowledge. There are more girls and women playing football in the US than men. 

Edited by Seymour M Hersh

10 minutes ago, Seymour M Hersh said:

I wasn't really meaning just pay but the High School and College system that they come through is far better funded than anything in Europe to my knowledge. There are more girls and women playing football in the US than men. 

I suppose that's maybe where they have the advantage. They're funded well from the youth level all the way through until they reach the NWSL. Germans and French rely on clubs to fund their own youth programmes. Some clubs are obviously more well funded than others, meaning there's not enough younger players getting the coaching they need. Only those lucky enough to get picked by a handful of teams will get the development needed.

Edited by Normthebarman

John Findlay

That's fourth time the American women have been World cup winners. It wouldn't surprise anyone where they to do it a bit for a 5th time and more.

The big advantage the USA have over many is that they put the national team before their club teams.

Edited by John Findlay

Radio Ga Ga
14 minutes ago, John Findlay said:

That's fourth time the American women have been World cup winners. It wouldn't surprise anyone where they to do it a bit for a 5th time and more.

The big advantage the USA have over many is that they put the national team before their club teams.

Spot on John, some of these girls have 250+ caps

Tommy Brown
15 minutes ago, John Findlay said:

You have knowledge in the women's game to back that statement?

John Findlay
1 minute ago, Tommy Brown said:

You have knowledge in the women's game to back that statement?

Yes. The American players themselves say it.

Tommy Brown
2 minutes ago, John Findlay said:

Yes. The American players themselves say it.

I don't have great knowledge of women's football, but I would be surprised if some turn up as they please for their national games.

2 minutes ago, Tommy Brown said:

I don't have great knowledge of women's football, but I would be surprised if some turn up as they please for their national games.

What John said was the opposite of that. 

Wasn't Hope Solo sayng that the USA have to fundamentally review their pro leagues or they will fall miles behind the European (national) teams in time.....

Tommy Brown
47 minutes ago, Tazio said:

What John said was the opposite of that. 

He said Americans put national games first, I am saying I would be surprised if all women footballers don't put their country first.

Edited by Tommy Brown

1 hour ago, John Findlay said:

The US soccer federation controls the men’s and Women’s game in the US.  The priority is the National Team, not the clubs.  The clubs do what they are told, not the other way around.

The Federation has a vice like grip of the youth system in the states. The best players across the country are identified at an early age and play in separate elite team and leagues. They call it their Development academy teams. Each team is supervised by a US National Youth Coach and is told what system to play and what training drills etc will take place.  This starts at the U12 age group. Some of the best youth teams in the World are from the US.

44 minutes ago, DETTY29 said:

Wasn't Hope Solo sayng that the USA have to fundamentally review their pro leagues or they will fall miles behind the European (national) teams in time.....

There is no money in the league, most players get paid peanuts.  Longer term the game is not economically viable in the US as a fully professional sport.

Fozzyonthefence
Just now, Fozzyonthefence said:

Is it viable anywhere in Europe as a fully professional sport though?  Even in England it can’t stand on its own two feet and relies on hand outs from their men’s teams like Man City and Chelsea.  I would have thought it was more viable in the USA to be self sustainable where the crowds are huge in comparison to the likes of England.

The average crowds in England’s top league (under 1,000) would be less than teams in the Conference and be similar to crowds in League  1 and League 2 in Scotland.

It’s great if it continues to grow but the standard has to get much better and it has to be sustainable as a product on its own.  It’s a joke that these players are full time professionals, let alone demanding equal pay with the men.  Maybe the Cowdenbeath players should start mouthing off that they should be paid the same as Barca.

At least that’s it back in its box for another 4 years and we can concentrate on more important things now like the netball World Cup.

Has it got to the point where we cannot say anything about the women's game unless is it positive ?

It's getting to the point where you cannot say anything negative without being the subject of moans and groans

In England they tell us its all about the growth , how it should stand on its own 2 feet yet the latest idea is to foist women's football on fans attending their teams matches by playing some matches pre match just so they can tell us how its grown and no doubt claim fans are going along to see them not the men's sides.

I'm all for having women's teams, all for arranging sides at age groups to encourage participation and give coaching after all many women attend the men's matches.

A certain amount of revenue is lost for the men's side in order to do this but as stated above those monies are a lot less than the money coming in from female spectators and it is just right to do so

However there comes a point where they need to grow without support at first team level and bring in their own income, they will reach the level that they can afford but please lets not be drawn into they should be paid the same nonsense as some of their spokespersons are trying to push forward as part of an equality discussion.

They'll soon be back to a few hundred up to a couple of thousand fans at most and they'll still need the money from the clubs whose name they represent but that cannot be a bottomless pit just to satisfy equality

5 hours ago, jumpship said:

This will be the last world cup America will win.. everyone else is turning professional and they are already catching up.. 

USA were miles ahead in this tournament. 

Others have a lot to make up. 

Sorry if I offend anyone but I watched a fair bit as I was off, and thought it was awful. Fair enough for those that like it, are entertained and think it’s decent but I thought it was poor quality in the extreme. Supply and demand and all that but it’s not for me by a long shot.