Fifa Women's World Cup

Maroon Sailor

4 minutes ago, Nookie Bear said:

On that basis, was our penalty in the the 2012 final a mistake, as the defender did not initiate contact and it was merely Suso's trailing leg that caught the boot of the defender?

Well, Yes. It's beyond me why any football fan would think that was a legitimate penalty last night, can't even be arsed going in to it in detail but it's just not a penalty.

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Maroon Sailor

• Mikey1874

• Lovecraft

• kila

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Nookie Bear
Just now, RudiHMFC said:

Well, Yes. It's beyond me why any football fan would think that was a legitimate penalty last night, can't even be arsed going in to it in detail but it's just not a penalty.

So was it a penalty in 2012?

Seemed like Kujabi was running in a straight line - as was Suso - the defender made no attempt to tackle but Suso's heel caught Kujabi's foot.

John Findlay

I'm going to go a wee bit against the grain here. To me the American keeper moved off her line before Houghton struck the ball. Surprised no one else has picked this up and asked why VAR didn't insist on a retake alla France v Nigeria and Scotland v Argentina.

Tom Hardy’s Dug

Guarantee you wouldn’t see that VAR review that way if it was Hearts or Scotland.

Outside the box of the ref sees that it’s a free kick therefore it’s a penalty - see loads of free kicks for that sort of thing every weekend during the season.

Prevented from taking a shot because of the foot of another player making contact with player and not ball.

Edited by Tom Hardy’s Dug

Nookie Bear
1 minute ago, John Findlay said:

I'm going to go a wee bit against the grain here. To me the American keeper moved off her line before Houghton struck the ball. Surprised no one else has picked this up and asked why VAR didn't insist on a retake alla France v Nigeria and Scotland v Argentina.

Watched it again and her foot is on the line.

joondalupjambo

Surely you wanted England to win not only against the USA but the final as well?

If they had imagine every time the men's team played, the commentators could not once refer back to then winning a WC in 1966 without a backlash.  They would have to take the default position of saying the woman won in 2019 or try and get round it somehow.  They would just keep digging and digging and making the hole bigger and bigger.  

Then it would get better because it would have shown that a team of vastly lesser paid players winning a major event in the modern era when the multi million pound untouchables keep on failing time after time.

It would have been great to hear them get out of that one.

No? :shade:

John Findlay
2 minutes ago, Nookie Bear said:

Watched it again and her foot is on the line.

I disagree. The camera right behind the goal she is well off her line for me. More than Lee Alexander against Argentina.

Alex Kintner
13 minutes ago, Nookie Bear said:

So was it a penalty in 2012?

Seemed like Kujabi was running in a straight line - as was Suso - the defender made no attempt to tackle but Suso's heel caught Kujabi's foot.

Spot on, never a foul. Kujabi’s arm was travelling in a straight line. Suso’s jersey intiated the contact by wrapping itself around Kujabi’s hand. 

:cornette:

Samuel Camazzola
6 minutes ago, John Findlay said:

She had part of her foot still on the line. No issue. 

Alex Kintner
2 minutes ago, John Findlay said:

I disagree. The camera right behind the goal she is well off her line for me. More than Lee Alexander against Argentina.

She very deliberately leaves one foot behind on the line.

Nookie Bear
10 minutes ago, To Be Frank said:

Spot on, never a foul. Kujabi’s arm was travelling in a straight line. Suso’s jersey intiated the contact by wrapping itself around Kujabi’s hand. 

It is the kick on the back of Suso's foot that brings him down.

Don't worry, i still think it was a penalty, as it was last night for England.

Edited by Nookie Bear

7 minutes ago, To Be Frank said:

Was about to say this. You can argue all day long as to whether our penalty in 2012 was a foul outside the box for a shirt pull or inside for the trip.

Not a single Hearts fan I know doesn’t accept that the first contact was when Kujabi hauled Suso’s shirt outside the box. If he hadn’t committed that offence the foul would not have continued and the trip inside the box wouldn’t have happened. Whichever foul you give, Kujabi initiates it and was going to receive a second booking, meaning the penalty did not influence the outcome of the match, just like last night. 

On second thoughts, we may have been less lenient on Hibs and scored even more! 

Nookie Bear
1 minute ago, Shaggy2 said:

Was about to say this. You can argue all day long as to whether our penalty in 2012 was a foul outside the box for a shirt pull or inside for the trip.

Not a single Hearts fan I know doesn’t accept that the first contact was when Kujabi hauled Suso’s shirt outside the box. If he hadn’t committed that offence the foul would not have continued and the trip inside the box wouldn’t have happened. Whichever foul you give, Kujabi initiates it and was going to receive a second booking, meaning the penalty did not influence the outcome of the match, just like last night. 

On second thoughts, we may have been less lenient on Hibs and scored even more! 

So it should have been a free kick outside the box? ^_^

13 minutes ago, Nookie Bear said:

Thats exactly what you’re welcome to debate, all day long. Do you give the first foul or the second? The referee decided to try and play advantage and he committed the second foul, which would not have occurred if Suso had been able to run away from him.

The debate about in the last few posts was about who initiated contact. Suso certainly never initiated the trip and neither did White last night, to be fair, as neither could see their opponent. The only difference is that the USA girl never had a hold of a jersey and the contact was due to a natural running motion versus the less natural shape in the act of shooting. I’d be after a penalty if it was Hearts or Scotland. 

Neither were anything like Edouard’s dive in the final as he had Bobby’s whole body to aim at to manufacture a foul. 

Edited by Shaggy2

Nookie Bear
1 minute ago, Shaggy2 said:

Thats exactly what you’re welcome to debate, all day long. Do you give the first foul or the second? The referee decided to try and play advantage and he committed the second foul, which would not have occurred if Suso had been able to run away from him.

The debate about in the last few posts was about who initiated contact. Suso certainly never initiated the trip and neither did White last night, to be fair, as neither could see their opponent. The only difference is that the USA girl never had a hold of a jersey and the contact was due to a natural running motion versus the less natural shape in the act of shooting. I’d be after a penalty if it was Hearts or Scotland. 

Neither were anything like Edouard’s dive in the final as he had Bobby’s whole body to aim at to manufacture a foul. 

:thumbs_up:

Jamboelite
1 hour ago, Nookie Bear said:

If a foul is initiated outside the box but continues inside a pen can be given.

Der Kaiser

Can someone please add Morgan's tea drinking image as a new emoji?

Let's bring kickback up into the 20th century for equality..........?

Dallas Green
21 minutes ago, Der Kaiser said:

I second this.

Maroon Sailor
3 hours ago, Tom Hardy’s Dug said:

Guarantee you wouldn’t see that VAR review that way if it was Hearts or Scotland.

Outside the box of the ref sees that it’s a free kick therefore it’s a penalty - see loads of free kicks for that sort of thing every weekend during the season.

Prevented from taking a shot because of the foot of another player making contact with player and not ball.

White swung her leg back to get a shot in but clipped the defender's leg in doing so. Is the defender not allowed to be so near her ?

hoof.hearted

Semi was on tv as I passed lounge. Score was 1-1, corner kick to England.  Sat and watched corner being taken ...ball went straight into crowd behind goals. Got up and walked out. Women's football is eye bleedsingly garbage. Like watching boys under 10's. Laboured, slow & powder puff

Hackney Hearts
1 hour ago, Jamboelite said:

If a foul is initiated outside the box but continues inside a pen can be given.

Pospisil in the 2006 semi-final.

Had that incident been mirrored at other end and USA were awarded the penalty then BBC would have been in meltdown.  The Hand of God would be old news and this would be the new greatest injustice ever.  

Hackney Hearts
1 minute ago, hoof.hearted said:

Sat and watched corner being taken ...ball went straight into crowd behind goals.

:laugh:

And you've never seen that happen in the Scottish Premiership?

(or any other men's league for that matter)

13 hours ago, Zlatanable said:

England teams seem to lack the killer/champions mindset. They were close. IF they scored that penalty, could been a different result. 

USA are so good. I can't see them losing to either Netherlands or Sweden.

Ellen White the top scorer with the 'glasses' won't take penalties. Too nervous they were saying. 

Maroon Sailor
29 minutes ago, TexasAndy said:

Had that incident been mirrored at other end and USA were awarded the penalty then BBC would have been in meltdown.  The Hand of God would be old news and this would be the new greatest injustice ever.  

Sue Smith, Pearce's sidekick, said it wasn't a penalty then changed her mind after seeing it for the umpteenth time. White missed the ball through no fault of the defender and justice was done in the end.

44 minutes ago, hoof.hearted said:

Semi was on tv as I passed lounge. Score was 1-1, corner kick to England.  Sat and watched corner being taken ...ball went straight into crowd behind goals. Got up and walked out. Women's football is eye bleedsingly garbage. Like watching boys under 10's. Laboured, slow & powder puff

Ooooh. 

Edgy.

Nookie Bear
50 minutes ago, Hackney Hearts said:

:laugh:

And you've never seen that happen in the Scottish Premiership?

(or any other men's league for that matter)

To be fair, it was particularly atrocious.

Jambosteve1902

watching it just to see Alex Morgans worth it, for 30 she is a delightful piece of art ❤️ 

33 minutes ago, Maroon Sailor said:

Sue Smith, Pearce's sidekick, said it wasn't a penalty then changed her mind after seeing it for the umpteenth time. White missed the ball through no fault of the defender and justice was done in the end.

Had it on briefly and said to my mate it was never a pen. So justice prevailed in the end.

manaliveits105

The “ lionesses”  not happy with USA 2 nd goal celebration - imitating drinking.tea  !

quuite funny 

Typical engurland bad winners bad losers

Maple Leaf
8 hours ago, Seymour M Hersh said:

My problem with the penalty was that while you describe the US player as "clipping" her leg I thought it was in the act of shooting the English girl hit the US girls leg. Now I've not studied it in great detail just my thoughts on seeing it a couple of times. My point it if you make contact with the defender who is standing or in a position they are entitled to be in should it be a penalty?  For me it was similar (although completely accidental) to players flicking their legs out to make contact with goalies in the box a la Eduard in the cup final. 

Yup. Softest penalty imaginable.

Maple Leaf
2 hours ago, hoof.hearted said:

Watching kids playing football can be very entertaining.  Obviously not to be compared with professional football, but still nice to watch.  

That's the way I feel about yesterday's game.

Tom Hardy’s Dug
2 hours ago, Maroon Sailor said:

White swung her leg back to get a shot in but clipped the defender's leg in doing so. Is the defender not allowed to be so near her ?

The defender one way or another impeded her, made contact and didn’t win or touch the ball.

More of a penalty than Edouard’s IMO.

3 hours ago, hoof.hearted said:

You mean not a single Hearts corner went like that last season? :D

2 hours ago, manaliveits105 said:

The “ lionesses”  not happy with USA 2 nd goal celebration - imitating drinking.tea  !

quuite funny 

Typical engurland bad winners bad losers

Is it just me that finds this patter that's all over the papers absolutely chronic?

4 hours ago, Der Kaiser said:

image.png.a2c76d02ef81896c1d3f05996a18e52c.png

Needs to be smaller and get a proper name to be an official emoji - but I like it. More so now that the BBC and England folk are raging!

John Findlay
44 minutes ago, Boof said:

image.png.a2c76d02ef81896c1d3f05996a18e52c.png

Needs to be smaller and get a proper name to be an official emoji - but I like it. More so now that the BBC and England folk are raging!

They don't like it up them captain Mainwaring. Those English lady footballers. They don't like it up them. ...or do they????

Seymour M Hersh
28 minutes ago, John Findlay said:

They don't like it up them captain Mainwaring. Those English lady footballers. They don't like it up them. ...or do they????

:oohmatron:

2 hours ago, Maroon Sailor said:

Anyway

Toodle Pip England

IMG_4121.JPG.6c665a6d112c16d77709a9902bd1a46a.JPG

That what their celebration was. That's quite good :laugh: 

Portable Badger
48 minutes ago, Marvin said:

That what their celebration was. That's quite good :laugh: 

You can tell that Alex lacks proper breeding.  If she was used to drinking tea out of a bone China cup then she would only require the thumb and forefinger to grasp the handle while leaving the remaining three fingers free to point outward.

Ah well I'll just have to suffer a 'bit of rough' then !!;)

Craig Gordons Gloves
6 hours ago, hoof.hearted said:

Ha! You kidding yeah? The game yesterday was a really good watch with a skill level that i'd love to see in Scottish football. As for powder puff, aye, sure it was, some great meaty challenges going in.

Top celebration tbf. 

The seeth it has drawn is particularly pleasing. 

Holland to win tonight. 

On 23/06/2019 at 22:07, Mikey1874 said:

Brazil player hurt from hitting 50 yard shot. 

Unlucky. 

Did she break a nail?

2 hours ago, trotter said:

Is it just me that finds this patter that's all over the papers absolutely chronic?

It is chronic

And we now know they have a centre forward who is scared to take penalties. 

BBC 1 now should be good. 

England update before the second semi final. 

12 million watched last night's game here on TV.  

Edited by Mikey1874