Your favourite Edinburgh pubs

Locky

6 minutes ago, Cranston said:

👍

It was quite civilised for a late night joint. I enjoyed it. There was another late night joint on George Street, down the steps if I didn't manage the sober test at Fingers. Can't remember the name of it though. Also, do you remember a club near Register House. Had to go up flights of stairs. The B something club. My mate Spike used to take me there, many moons ago?

Was your upstairs place above Gatsbys?

• Replies 452
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Morgan

• The Real Maroonblood

• Stuart Lyon

• Marvin

Cranston
1 minute ago, Morgan said:

Was your upstairs place above Gatsbys?

I can't remember mate. It was somewhere around there. It was a drinking den type place. Cheap. But, decent. For some reason I remember something about the B and something club. It was very near Register House. Thanks mate.

38 minutes ago, Cranston said:

I can't remember mate. It was somewhere around there. It was a drinking den type place. Cheap. But, decent. For some reason I remember something about the B and something club. It was very near Register House. Thanks mate.

How about The Buffs Club?  

Properly known as the R.A.O.B. which stood for The Royal Ancient Order of Buffalos.  It was above The Guildford Arms and a bookies?  There was also a hairdresser downstairs called Hair by Seven West.

Edited by Morgan

Cranston

Properly known as the R.A.O.B. which stood for The Royal Associated Order of Buffalos.  It was above The Guildford Arms and a bookies?  There was also a hairdresser downstairs called Hair by Seven West.

That's the very one Morgan. Thanks mate, it was the Buffalo's. Cheap but on a Saturday afternoon, after a heavy Friday all nighter on the bevy, it was ideal to spend time among other fellow bevy merchants. Nice one Morgan. It's appreciated, as it was bugging me that I couldn't remember the name of it. 👍

Cranston
5 minutes ago, Morgan said:

Properly known as the R.A.O.B. which stood for The Royal Ancient Order of Buffalos.  It was above The Guildford Arms and a bookies?  There was also a hairdresser downstairs called Hair by Seven West.

And, its just pictured in my head, the bookies, and the hairdressers. Thanks mate, the very one, the Buffs Club. Great memories. 

1 minute ago, Cranston said:

And, its just pictured in my head, the bookies, and the hairdressers. Thanks mate, the very one, the Buffs Club. Great memories. 

No bother.

Things like that are really annoying when you can’t remember them!  😀

Cranston

No bother.

Things like that are really annoying when you can’t remember them!  😀

👍

Thanks Morgan. Nice one. 

There used to be a Buffs Club at Watson Crescent back in the day. Think the Ace of Hearts moved there for a short while 

2 hours ago, PTBCAL said:

There used to be a Buffs Club at Watson Crescent back in the day. Think the Ace of Hearts moved there for a short while 

There certainly was.  👍

I’m pretty sure a wee guy called Rab Jones frequented both places?

Stuart Lyon
14 hours ago, Cranston said:

👍

It was quite civilised for a late night joint. I enjoyed it. There was another late night joint on George Street, down the steps if I didn't manage the sober test at Fingers. Can't remember the name of it though. Also, do you remember a club near Register House. Had to go up flights of stairs. The B something club. My mate Spike used to take me there, many moons ago?

Madogs was down some stairs in George St

cannonfoda

Quite like the brass monkey on Drummond street.  Student deals and usually that mix between busy and dead so can hear yourself think and get a space to stand at the bar.

Back in the day the 1/4 gil was a riot opposite rankeillor street.  Also the maltings had a good jukebox and cheap Thursdays.

joondalupjambo
57 minutes ago, cannonfoda said:

Quite like the brass monkey on Drummond street.  Student deals and usually that mix between busy and dead so can hear yourself think and get a space to stand at the bar.

Back in the day the 1/4 gil was a riot opposite rankeillor street.  Also the maltings had a good jukebox and cheap Thursdays.

Good boozer. As you say a wee bit of an oasis is a sea of tourism and business.  God beer as well.

You may know this, maybe not.  Next time you go in, on the wall on the right hand side just a few yards in is a b/w photo of a Scotland team from the late 60's on the Wembley pitch I think.  Might be the 67 team not 100% sure, maybe not.  It has some cracking players in it.  Jim Baxter, John Grieg, Billy McNeil, etc.  Look closely at Charlie Cooke (?) think it is, near centre of photo and his left hand.  Standing having a smoke 🤣 Those were the days 🤣

Edited by joondalupjambo

Cranston
11 hours ago, Stuart Lyon said:

Madogs was down some stairs in George St

I knew it was Mad Dogs but my memory isn't what it used to be. Drink addled brain uuggh. Thanks mate 👍. Spent many a late night in there too. 

43 minutes ago, Cranston said:

I knew it was Mad Dogs but my memory isn't what it used to be. Drink addled brain uuggh. Thanks mate 👍. Spent many a late night in there too. 

Opposite Charlie Parker’s, and almost next door to the Readers Digest Bookshop.

Cranston
Just now, Morgan said:

Opposite Charlie Parker’s, and almost next door to the Readers Digest Bookshop.

Never heard of Charlie Parker's neither been to, or past the Readers Digest Bookshop Morgan. It was always night time late when attempting to gain entry to Mad dogs. A decent late night joint with a dance floor if I remember rightly mate. Black and white dance floor?

47 minutes ago, Tazio said:

Did Charlie Parker’s change its name to Styx? Or was that next door to it? 

Same place.  👍

The new West End
On 23/03/2024 at 05:16, PTBCAL said:

Correct

They played in the Social Club pool league

The new West End
On 23/03/2024 at 11:41, joondalupjambo said:

Good boozer. As you say a wee bit of an oasis is a sea of tourism and business.  God beer as well.

You may know this, maybe not.  Next time you go in, on the wall on the right hand side just a few yards in is a b/w photo of a Scotland team from the late 60's on the Wembley pitch I think.  Might be the 67 team not 100% sure, maybe not.  It has some cracking players in it.  Jim Baxter, John Grieg, Billy McNeil, etc.  Look closely at Charlie Cooke (?) think it is, near centre of photo and his left hand.  Standing having a smoke 🤣 Those were the days 🤣

My grandfather was manager of there when it was Stewarts

Until recently there was still a photo of him behind the bar.

He lived in the flat above and Mt dad was born there.

The new West End
On 22/03/2024 at 13:38, Tazio said:

It's been years now, the same people that own Sofi's, The Victoria and a couple of others in Leith. 

I think their empire has shrunk to 2

joondalupjambo

I am now doubting myself as to the date and the player holding the fag in his left hand.  Had a feeling it was Charlie Cook but now thinking it might be Eddie McCreadie.

And 1967 maybe but could have been a bit later perhaps 1970.

So anyone who is wandering around town, fancies a decent pint and can check this out in the Brass Monkey that would be great👍

Edited by joondalupjambo

AD 1874
2 hours ago, The new West End said:

My grandfather was manager of there when it was Stewarts

Until recently there was still a photo of him behind the bar.

He lived in the flat above and Mt dad was born there.

Jimmy Sneddon?

The new West End
36 minutes ago, AD 1874 said:

Jimmy Sneddon?

Was kinda just before Jimmy's time

AD 1874
36 minutes ago, The new West End said:

Was kinda just before Jimmy's time

My great uncle was Peter Cunningham, who ran the pub for many years

PaddysBar

It is a good boozer but lost something when it changed from Stewarts. 

Rutherfords across the road, Robert Louis Stevenson used to drink there. 

I haven’t been in since it changed to the Hispaniola. Did it change much on the inside?  

joondalupjambo
8 hours ago, PaddysBar said:

It is a good boozer but lost something when it changed from Stewarts. 

Rutherfords across the road, Robert Louis Stevenson used to drink there. 

I haven’t been in since it changed to the Hispaniola. Did it change much on the inside?  

I was never in Stewart's that I can remember but if that was what it was called before it became The Brass Monkey then it has changed in one way.  The Brass has / had a back room "cinema" room that you could hire it out and watch films.  Apart from that it is an old style bar with small snug type areas and a traditional bar.  No building or layout changes I don't think.

Les Izemore

The Penny Black, just off the east end of Princes Street, around the corner from the Guildford Arms, was the go to back in the day. Only the insane, the wasted, and the desperate bevvied there. 

I was a regular pre work. 

The new West End
11 hours ago, AD 1874 said:

My great uncle was Peter Cunningham, who ran the pub for many years

Was discussing this the other day with Phil who is married to the granddaughter ( I think ) 

Also Andrea Cunningham work beside me for a while

John Findlay
3 hours ago, Les Izemore said:

The Penny Black, just off the east end of Princes Street, around the corner from the Guildford Arms, was the go to back in the day. Only the insane, the wasted, and the desperate bevvied there. 

And Postmen, of which my late father was one.

True story this(been here before look away now).

Home on leave from the Navy summer 1980, and I'm in there having a pint with my dad and his postal worker colleagues.

I go to the toilet for a Gypsy's kiss. I come back and my dad is killing himself laughing.

I ask my dad what's the joke. He informs me that his colleagues think I'm gay( though gay not the word used back then).

The reason they think this is because I said bum instead of arse. 

My dad had to politely inform them, that he still wouldn't let me swear in his presence.

Changed, very changed days indeed.

Edited by John Findlay

Fxxx the SPFL
3 hours ago, Les Izemore said:

You should try the Grapes up Newington went in there one morning around 9.30 was waiting on ticket office opening next door at ten. I had never been in before but the pub was rammed it looked like the scene form the Bar in Star Wars, staff looked pissed as well as the punters wacky baccy smell was overwhelming might have been a lock in lol. I still purchased a wee voddie and coke though.

been here before
1 hour ago, John Findlay said:

And Postmen, of which my late father was one.

True story this(been here before look away now).

Home on leave from the Navy summer 1980, and I'm in there having a pint with my dad and his postal worker colleagues.

I go to the toilet for a Gypsy's kiss. I come back and my dad is killing himself laughing.

I ask my dad what's the joke. He informs me that his colleagues think I'm gay( though gay not the word used back then).

The reason they think this is because I said bum instead of arse. 

My dad had to politely inform them, that he still wouldn't let me swear in his presence.

Changed, very changed days indeed.

:rofl:

Amazingly Albert if you remove the "Home on leave from the Navy summer 1980, and", that story still works, it loses nothing. It has no bearing or relevance to your tale of going for a slash.

Just you making us all jealous again eh? 😆

My mum used to work in an office upstairs from the Penny Black and had to go in every morning to collect the keys to the office. As a lifelong teetotaller she was shocked at the sights she would see in there of a morning. She was also slightly amazed to discover I was familiar with it. 

6 hours ago, Les Izemore said:

Postmen (hence the pubs name) and Civil Servants were always in abundance in the PB.

I watched a World Cup qualifier in there once.  Scotland v either Australia or New Zealand it was.  Strangest feeling being in a boozer at 8 in the morning.  :lol:

2 hours ago, **** the SPFL said:

You should try the Grapes up Newington went in there one morning around 9.30 was waiting on ticket office opening next door at ten. I had never been in before but the pub was rammed it looked like the scene form the Bar in Star Wars, staff looked pissed as well as the punters wacky baccy smell was overwhelming might have been a lock in lol. I still purchased a wee voddie and coke though.

Jim's Inn on Cockburn Street was a similarly classy establishment in the mornings!

🥸

Fxxx the SPFL
3 minutes ago, Morgan said:

Jim's Inn on Cockburn Street was a similarly classy establishment in the mornings!

🥸

Can't remember that one where about on Cockburn Street

Stuart Lyon
28 minutes ago, **** the SPFL said:

One time name of the Arcade Bar

Fxxx the SPFL
3 minutes ago, Stuart Lyon said:

One time name of the Arcade Bar

cheers

2 hours ago, Morgan said:

🥸

Remember popping in there after getting off the overnight bus from London in the early 1980s. Couple of pints followed by a couple of hours sleep on my mates couch then off to Tynecastle.

3 hours ago, **** the SPFL said:

Near the top, on the left hand-side going up the way.  Beside the old Arcade.

It was also known as The Scotsman’s Lounge at one point. 

Fxxx the SPFL
2 minutes ago, Morgan said:

Scotsman Lounge is still there go in there friday afternoons occasionally for a few drinks and some music 

2 hours ago, **** the SPFL said:

Scotsman Lounge is still there go in there friday afternoons occasionally for a few drinks and some music 

Ah, right - I didn’t know that, Ray.  👍

I’m actually in Edinburgh right now but we haven’t ventured up Cockburn Street.

To be honest, the weather has been so crap we haven’t really ventured very far at all!

Fxxx the SPFL
42 minutes ago, Morgan said:

Ah, right - I didn’t know that, Ray.  👍

I’m actually in Edinburgh right now but we haven’t ventured up Cockburn Street.

To be honest, the weather has been so crap we haven’t really ventured very far at all!

Don’t blame you Morgan if you’re still here Friday try the Scotsman should be some music on in afternoon still just an old fashioned boozer.

Rupert Custard
18 hours ago, Les Izemore said:

I worked with a guy who was a regular in there in the early 90’s. I remember going for a curer pint with him early one morning after the Xmas party. Then on to Tommy Youngers on Leith Walk which was much more civilised.

Gorgie/Dalry had quite a few legal early opening boozers back then. I was working in Gorgie one summer and walking up Dalry Rd at 8 in the morning and The Clock, The Balmoral, The Green Tree (Robbos) and Strathies all had their doors open and were busy.

Samuel Camazzola
18 hours ago, **** the SPFL said:

15 hours ago, Morgan said:

Postmen (hence the pubs name) and Civil Servants were always in abundance in the PB.

I watched a World Cup qualifier in there once.  Scotland v either Australia or New Zealand it was.  Strangest feeling being in a boozer at 8 in the morning.  :lol:

The Spider's Web on Morrison Street was another 'out of hours' establishment that attracted a few characters. It's now the Jolly Botanist. 

The new West End
16 hours ago, Morgan said:

Watched that in the Auld Worthies

Free breakfast rolls

A stripper

Porn on the TVs before the game

Then we headed off to work a half day

The new West End
46 minutes ago, Samuel Camazzola said:

The Spider's Web on Morrison Street was another 'out of hours' establishment that attracted a few characters. It's now the Jolly Botanist. 

We used to use there before bus to Aberdeen away

A strange mixture of alkies headcases and gurning ravers ... and us

1 hour ago, The new West End said:

We used to use there before bus to Aberdeen away

A strange mixture of alkies headcases and gurning ravers ... and us

Yes, indeed.

I worked at Haymarket too.

:biggrin:

The Old Salt on Leith Walk was another early shop. When I was a youngster not long out of school and working at LRT I used to get sent over there by my gaffer at 7.30 to retrieve one of the guys I worked with. Looking like an eejit no doubt, wee boy in a store man’s coat persuading him to neck his pint and nip. 

Stuart Lyon
14 hours ago, Morgan said:

Plevna Lounge

known 1970+76

Cockburn Lounge

Office The

Suburban Bar

known 1965

Jim's Inn

known 1976+80

First 3 are previous names for the Scotsman's the other 2 are previous names for the Arcade on the opposite side of the street.

1 minute ago, Stuart Lyon said:

Plevna Lounge

known 1970+76

Cockburn Lounge

Office The

Suburban Bar

known 1965

Jim's Inn

known 1976+80

First 3 are previous names for the Scotsman's the other 2 are previous names for the Arcade on the opposite side of the street.

I meant the shopping arcade, Stuart, not the pub.

The arcade that led through from Cockburn Street to North Bridge.