Your favourite Edinburgh pubs

Rick James

Bunch O’ Roses in Restalrig and Omans in Craigmillar both shut down in the past week.

Never drank in either and doubt many will be saddened on here with the news, but still find it sad another 2 local boozers in this city forced to close. Wonder just how many local pubs will still be open in Edinburgh in time.

Did actually think about going to Oman’s for the experience as recently moved into a new estate in Niddrie but never got that far yet. A bus trip to Musselburgh/Southside/Portobello now required for a ‘local’ pint.

I’m only late 20’s but I remember the Castle Tavern and the pub in Duddingston Road being open. Think the latter was just the Duddy Inn maybe?

• Replies 452
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Morgan

• The Real Maroonblood

• Stuart Lyon

• the general

luckyBatistuta
13 minutes ago, Locky said:

Bunch O’ Roses in Restalrig and Omans in Craigmillar both shut down in the past week.

Never drank in either and doubt many will be saddened on here with the news, but still find it sad another 2 local boozers in this city forced to close. Wonder just how many local pubs will still be open in Edinburgh in time.

Did actually think about going to Oman’s for the experience as recently moved into a new estate in Niddrie but never got that far yet. A bus trip to Musselburgh/Southside/Portobello now required for a ‘local’ pint.

I’m only late 20’s but I remember the Castle Tavern and the pub in Duddingston Road being open. Think the latter was just the Duddy Inn maybe?

Think that Omans had not long been taken over by two young girls. As you say Locky, sad the way it’s going, won’t be the last.

3 hours ago, Locky said:

Think the latter was just the Duddy Inn maybe?

it was called the " Clekim inn " too.  Some of my relatives ran it then it became the  "Duddingston Mill"  or the " Duddy Mill".  The " Tavern " was rough as hell but friendly enough.  It is a shame about " Omans " as it was the last local pub in the area. However there is the Hearts club which I've been too , many a time in the last few years . 

3 hours ago, luckyBatistuta said:

Think that Omans had not long been taken over by two young girls. As you say Locky, sad the way it’s going, won’t be the last.

Looked like it recently had a paint job too so surprised to see it go. Even for someone of my age, it’s not the Edinburgh I once knew in many parts. Whether that’s good or bad I’ll let others debate.

14 minutes ago, JudyJudyJudy said:

it was called the " Clekim inn " too.  Some of my relatives ran it then it became the  "Duddingston Mill"  or the " Duddy Mill".  The " Tavern " was rough as hell but friendly enough.  It is a shame about " Omans " as it was the last local pub in the area. However there is the Hearts club which I've been too , many a time in the last few years . 

Duddy Mill, that’s the one. Got demolished for the big Farmfoods. Is the Craigmillar Hearts club open every night?

New Town Loafer

Pub trade is finished sadly. Utterly depressing going into pubs in town and recognising the brand that runs them based on the fact the back of every bar looks the same. Soulless.

7 minutes ago, Locky said:

Looked like it recently had a paint job too so surprised to see it go. Even for someone of my age, it’s not the Edinburgh I once knew in many parts. Whether that’s good or bad I’ll let others debate.

Duddy Mill, that’s the one. Got demolished for the big Farmfoods. Is the Craigmillar Hearts club open every night?

Im not entirely sure as ive only been at doos at the weekend there.  I think it is but id imagine its very quiet.  The Jewel Miners Club is just down from the old Clekim and thats a good place for a drink . Only problem is its overun with Hobbos  :) I was there a fee Saturdays ago. 

Better news on the pub front my old local Spiers on ferry road that morphed into The Inverleith then never opened after Covid has reopened as The Goldenacre hope it works out for new owners at least its a boozer unlike the snooty Herring Bone opposite. Went in with the wife on Sunday teatime pretty quiet but at least they’ve not hiked up prices 

Edited by Fxxx the SPFL

1 hour ago, New Town Loafer said:

Pub trade is finished sadly. Utterly depressing going into pubs in town and recognising the brand that runs them based on the fact the back of every bar looks the same. Soulless.

Pub trade is finished? 

What a load of nonsense. This is typical of your posts.

If you want to discuss the pub trade being ‘finished’ then please PM me.

New Town Loafer
9 hours ago, Morgan said:

Pub trade is finished? 

What a load of nonsense. This is typical of your posts.

If you want to discuss the pub trade being ‘finished’ then please PM me.

Feel free to message me explaining why it isn’t, if you would like to. Rather that than silly comments like the above.

12 hours ago, JudyJudyJudy said:

Im not entirely sure as ive only been at doos at the weekend there.  I think it is but id imagine its very quiet.  The Jewel Miners Club is just down from the old Clekim and thats a good place for a drink . Only problem is its overun with Hobbos  :) I was there a fee Saturdays ago. 

Cheers Judy.

8 hours ago, New Town Loafer said:

Feel free to message me explaining why it isn’t, if you would like to. Rather that than silly comments like the above.

Do you know what?

Just forget it, you're not worth the time and effort.

New Town Loafer
2 hours ago, Morgan said:

Do you know what?

Just forget it, you're not worth the time and effort.

You’re an odd bloke getting so wound up about a difference in opinion on the pub trade.

On 06/04/2020 at 09:27, Marvin said:

I got banned from Sneaky Petes if that's possible for dancing on the tables :laugh2: That was around 30 years ago.

The floor was so manky that was the only safe place to dance.

Loved Sneaky Petes in the mid to late 80s.

42 minutes ago, New Town Loafer said:

You’re an odd bloke getting so wound up about a difference in opinion on the pub trade.

11 minutes ago, Dirk McClaymore said:

We need more time and effort imo.

We need more odd blokes imo.

Was in Mathers at the West End before a lunch with a mate at the Edinburgh Rendezvous on Tuesday. Pretty unchanged old school boozer £4:15 for a pint of Deuchars , excluding the barmaids , I was the youngest person in there and I'm 64.

The Real Maroonblood
9 minutes ago, EIEIO said:

Was in Mathers at the West End before a lunch with a mate at the Edinburgh Rendezvous on Tuesday. Pretty unchanged old school boozer £4:15 for a pint of Deuchars , excluding the barmaids , I was the youngest person in there and I'm 64.

That’s not a bad price for Deuchars in the city centre.

1 hour ago, rudi must stay said:

I had a good night in The Hebridian next to Edinburgh Dungeon a few years ago 

reasonable prices but you can only get in three men, a dog and a fiddle player and it's full lol

4 hours ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

That’s not a bad price for Deuchars in the city centre.

It's quite a bit more than I paid for a pint of Deuchars in there last summer (£3.80 I think).

4 hours ago, rudi must stay said:

Oh that’s a great wee pub . Was in there in August 

I like the St Vincent just along from Stockbridge. Great name as much as anything. Walked there once from the Antiquary to meet up and, take the modern cars away with the cobbled streets and poor lighting, could have been 100 years ago. Almost expected to hear horse hooves. Had had a few.

Whenever I'm back home, me and the missus always head to The Doric. Never the cheapest but just love the feel of the place. And The Kenilworth but last time we were home it was shut :sad:. Don't know if it was renovations or shut shut.

On 20/09/2022 at 20:37, New Town Loafer said:

Dunno if you and the guy who bit your head off has history but pub trade is pretty ruined though. All their overheads up and most seem to only do well if they do food. 

10 hours ago, rudi must stay said:

Not been in there in years but tell me do they still have the Angus Og cartoon strips pasted above the urinals for you to read while pissing?

Might be a bit yellowed with age these days though.

_126354829_angusogone.jpg

2 hours ago, Riccarton3 said:

I like the St Vincent just along from Stockbridge. Great name as much as anything. Walked there once from the Antiquary to meet up and, take the modern cars away with the cobbled streets and poor lighting, could have been 100 years ago. Almost expected to hear horse hooves. Had had a few.

St Vincent 1982 murder.

A MISSING shotgun used by convicted killer James Baigrie 13 years ago,

was discovered earlier this week by a man out walking his dog.

The weapon with which Baigrie shot barman Ron Lockhart, 40, during a

raid on an Edinburgh pub, was discovered along with five cartridges in

undergrowth on the edge of Blairadam Forest, near the murderer's former

home at Centre Street, Kelty, Fife.

Yesterday, Detective Chief Inspector John Nicholson, one of the

detectives who arrested Baigrie for the brutal murder, said:

''It'samazing that this weapon has turned up after all these years.''

Mr Nicholson, who was a detective sergeant when Baigrie was arrested,

added: ''We searched for that gun for days in Blairadam and elsewhere.

We even partially emptied a reservoir and had divers looking for it, but

there was no trace.

''At one time we feared Baigrie had it when he was on the run, or it

might still be in the hands of an associate, but it has obviously lain

undisturbed for all these years.

''Although it is rusty, it could have been made useable again and I am

extremely relieved that this mystery has been solved and that the gun

has been recovered. We were always worried it could end up back on the

street.''

He said that during the search for the gun, police discovered 68

sticks of dynamite, which Baigrie had stolen from Lassodie Mine, in

Fife, and hidden in a bag in Kelty.

Also hidden with the firearm in a black bin bag was a driving licence

stolen with the getaway car used by Baigrie and 18-year-old John Wilson

in the robbery at the St Vincent Bar, in April 1982.

Baigrie, who was 30 at the time of the raid, was soon arrested and

jailed for life by Lord Hunter at the High Court in Edinburgh.

At the time, Wilson, who was sentenced to six years' detention for his

part in the raid, took police to Blairadam Forest where they found

overalls, masks, and keys, but the hiding place of the shotgun remained

Baigrie's secret.

Ten weeks after being sentenced, on October 16, 1983, Baigrie escaped

from Saughton Prison.

Using a smuggled hacksaw he cut through a cell window bar, then risked

his life crawling along a narrow ledge for about 40ft, before descending

60ft down a drainpipe and cutting through a metal fence with wirecutters

to escape.

He had dressed in a track suit and trainers in the hope of being

mistaken for a jogger. His ruse worked and he faded into the night. For

16 months, the ''desperate and dangerous'' Baigrie was on the run,

evading a massive nationwide police manhunt.

In March 1985, he was traced to a van parked in Philbeath Gardens,

London, and police laid seige for two days. Fearing Baigrie might kill

again, marksmen fired two CS gas cannisters into the vehicle before

closing in, only to hear the shot as Baigrie killed himself.

New Town Loafer
11 hours ago, GinRummy said:

Dunno if you and the guy who bit your head off has history but pub trade is pretty ruined though. All their overheads up and most seem to only do well if they do food. 

No idea what his issue is tbh.

But yes, you’re bang on. Long gone are the days of proper pubs.

New Town Loafer
11 hours ago, EH11_2NL said:

And The Kenilworth but last time we were home it was shut :sad:. Don't know if it was renovations or shut shut.

Used to work there! It’s back open now, mate.

5 hours ago, New Town Loafer said:

No idea what his issue is tbh.

But yes, you’re bang on. Long gone are the days of proper pubs.

Issue.  :rofl:

Bonnie Prince Charlie
On 22/09/2022 at 10:51, rudi must stay said:

It's called the Hebrides actually

Bonnie Prince Charlie

I am in a bit of a pedantic mood and the St. Vincent pub is in Stockbridge and I reckon it was still there in the 1982 murder.

New Town Loafer
On 23/09/2022 at 13:35, Morgan said:

Issue.  :rofl:

You seem to have taken a couple of my posts quite personally, so I’d say you have an issue, yes.

3 hours ago, New Town Loafer said:

You seem to have taken a couple of my posts quite personally, so I’d say you have an issue, yes.

I was laughing at the word ‘issue’.  

You're obviously far too trendy for me.  

It’s the hip word for ‘problem’ though, isn’t it?

You really didn’t think that I took your posts ‘quite personally’ did you?  :rofl: 

Behave yourself.  👍

On 21/09/2022 at 19:11, briever said:

The floor was so manky that was the only safe place to dance.

Loved Sneaky Petes in the mid to late 80s.

It was good back in the day 👍

I reckon a lot of the local boozers might do better trade over the winter as I think some of the pricey city-centre pubs will see a massive drop in footfall.

Drinking in a 'spoons the other night I got two pints under a fiver.  I reckon that would be £12+ in most places up town.

Going out for a session will burst your wallet.

Edited by frankblack

On 20/09/2022 at 22:24, **** the SPFL said:

Better news on the pub front my old local Spiers on ferry road that morphed into The Inverleith then never opened after Covid has reopened as The Goldenacre hope it works out for new owners at least its a boozer unlike the snooty Herring Bone opposite. Went in with the wife on Sunday teatime pretty quiet but at least they’ve not hiked up prices 

I recently had food, beers and wine in Herring Bone and it was a top notch evening. 

47 minutes ago, the posh bit said:

I recently had food, beers and wine in Herring Bone and it was a top notch evening. 

You snooty bar steward lol 😂 glad you enjoyed it 

il Duce McTarkin
5 hours ago, frankblack said:

I reckon a lot of the local boozers might do better trade over the winter as I think some of the pricey city-centre pubs will see a massive drop in footfall.

Drinking in a 'spoons the other night I got two pints under a fiver.  I reckon that would be £12+ in most places up town.

Going out for a session will burst your wallet.

The most popular boozers over the next year or so will be all those back garden tavernas that folk built during the various lockdowns.

On 22/09/2022 at 12:17, **** the SPFL said:

reasonable prices but you can only get in three men, a dog and a fiddle player and it's full lol

Sounds like a party I went to one time 😂

3 hours ago, Harry Potter said:

Dickens.   

Yes I like that too  down to earth and good prices . Used to have a good karaoke . 

I like “ the golden rule” and “ bensons” too . 

Just now, JudyJudyJudy said:

Oh never had any in there . Must try 

They really are the dugs baws we were in last sunday only for a couple of drinks think it’s new owners or staff from Northern Ireland so hope they are still doing the toasties