Naismith - aims for return against Rangers ( updated )

Bauld

It was an utter outrage how dependant we became on Naismith last season. Actually quite embarrassing.

As a result Levein put himself in a bind. Pretty much forced into offering the earth to Naismith while probably knowing deep down it was very risky. 

I like most on here have very low expectations of the number of games Naismith will play. I would also add he was not that good when came back from injury last season bar the game at ER. 

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Robbo-Jambo

• Inch Hearts

• Lord Beni of Gorgie

• Morgan

3 hours ago, lsimp77 said:

Gone from missing the Motherwell cup game due to a “precaution” to being out for over 2 months. 

Correct.

Even after that game it was he will be ready for next week for the next 3 games.

He was nowhere near ready for that period mentioned above.

Same as Souttar who was touch and go for the Celtic game at Darkheid on the 25th of August :cornette:

That game against Celtic was the same one that Michael Smith got taken off after about 20 mins when the club knew he had a tight hamstring days before and Smith himself did not want to risk it.

Smith was to be out for 10 days after that, another crock of *****.

Washington was on the bench the day he ripped his hamstring with the club knowing his hamstring was tight before that, hence he was on the bench hoping not to be used.

We have had terrible luck with injuries but there has been some ******* awful decision making along the way when you add in Berra and Naismith were brought back too soon after their operations last season.

Edited by Robbo-Jambo

This whole situation that Hearts are involved in leaves a bit of an unpalatable taste in the mouth!

Nobody knows the ins and outs of football transfers but looking at it from a far,  Naismith who hadn't kicked a ball for I don't know how long, languishing in Norwich reserves, signed on loan,and did really well, returned to his parent club, held on to ensure he gained maximum financial benefit from Norwich, Hearts were or appeared to be complicit in this, eg you just stay there get your money and come and sign for us,

Then put together a package, looks like designed to suit him as oppose to what is best for the club.

Perhaps too much power afforded the player, coupled with eggs in one basket mentallity from the boss who due to a lack of man management skills and blinkered view towards players and playing has shot himself another barrowload in the foot.

How does it go - you reap what you....

Yep I think Steven has played another blinder and the gaffer has walked blindfolded right into it!

Archie White
4 hours ago, Nookie Bear said:

I think it is valid to question the signing of a 32-yr old striker on a 4-yr deal when they have barely kicked a ball since Oct 2018. 

We we shall find out over the next 4 years, I suppose. 

There is no way Naismith will still be playing first team football in 4 years. If he doesn't retire from playing due to injury at the end of this season or drag it onto 2020-21 I'll be surprised. He's done.

29 minutes ago, Archie White said:

There is no way Naismith will still be playing first team football in 4 years. If he doesn't retire from playing due to injury at the end of this season or drag it onto 2020-21 I'll be surprised. He's done.

Sadly, I tend to agree.  Maybe 2 years tops.  Certainly this season has been a waste.

39 minutes ago, Tasavallan said:

Sadly, I tend to agree.  Maybe 2 years tops.  Certainly this season has been a waste.

2 months perhaps but not the full season..................................................................................................................................yet

4 hours ago, Tasavallan said:

Perhaps there is a clause that his contract converts to a coaching role if he us ever advised to retire from playing. It us the least that I would have expected to protect both sides.

21 minutes ago, Seymour M Hersh said:

You have to wonder at the Scottish national teams training regime if it knocked him back in his recovery. 

More likely the hearts training regime has knocked him back.

Tom Hardy’s Dug
58 minutes ago, RudiHMFC said:

Well he went to the Scotland camp with the idea that he would play and he hasn’t been seen since. You can’t say it was training at Hearts that worsened the injury with any degree of certainty.

Edited by Tom Hardy’s Dug

Psychedelicropcircle

Was suggested to me last night that Naismith has lost all faith in the hearts physio team & is paying for his own. Same guy also says JS is out for the rest of the year.

knee-eyed-ear if this is factual!

3 minutes ago, Psychedelicropcircle said:

Was suggested to me last night that Naismith has lost all faith in the hearts physio team & is paying for his own. Same guy also says JS is out for the rest of the year.

What does that mean in English please?

2 hours ago, Barack said:

Clarke's already admitted they screwed up with Ryan Jack whilst with Scotland. Not that much of a stretch to think Naismith might have been affected too.

Anyway. He's on his way back soon(🤞🏻), that's all that matters.

I think we will just wait and see if he is back soon. We have been told all these stories before about impending return dates which have turned out to be rubbished.

2 hours ago, Tom Hardy’s Dug said:

Well he went to the Scotland camp with the idea that he would play and he hasn’t been seen since. You can’t say it was training at Hearts that worsened the injury with any degree of certainty.

Exactly. Seasoned pro's such as Naismith will not train if they feel there is a problem. Just like Jack they have tongues in their heads and can speak up if they are not happy about the training they are being asked to do.

Steve Clarke was just getting Gerrard off the hook by making that admission. It is hard to belive that any players capable of getting into a National Team squad can't speak up and say oh by the way Boss I have a bit of a niggle which limits my training..

14 minutes ago, Psychedelicropcircle said:

Does Naismith not train at home a lot during recovery so not unexpected for him to have his own physio?

I’m sure we’ll see Souttar this year!

I loved the Roy Keane interview with Gary Nev where he tore John Walters and Ward a new one for not being able to train due to “having a program”. Sounds exactly like Naismith. Cause he’s a senior pro and played at the top level he’s allowed to train away from the squad, do his own rehab and have his own “program”. Let’s hope that the “program” sees him come back fully fit this time. 

Also worth listening to that Keane interview just to hear the changes he made to his life, diet and training to try stay at the very top after his biggest injury. He felt he had started to get little niggly injuries and then he got a major injury and he felt he needed a change in lifestyle. Steven Gerrard also drills into his Rangers squad that injuries, outside contact injuries, are all down to how the players look after and condition their bodies. Diet, training, recovery etc etc if not approached properly by the player then these injuries creep into their life, in his opinion. He has “fat camp” at Rangers too, where the players are constantly tested around their body fats and if they aren’t at acceptable levels they train alone in “fat camp”. Morelos last season was a frequent “fat camp” attendee. My connection to Rangers, who’s played in the EPL, says he’s never been leaner or fitter. Looks after himself more than he ever done down south. Loads of top sportsmen are also now going vegan in a bid to stay fit and sharp.  

4 minutes ago, Barack said:

"Hearts expect to have John Souttar back by early September."

2020...?🤔

I know it's a bit worrying. No real updates as to exactly what his injury is other than "rolling his ankle".

5 hours ago, RudiHMFC said:

If our medical procedures are as cutting edge as the football we play, we are probably treating the players with leeches ^_^

2 hours ago, Psychedelicropcircle said:

Regarding Naismith I would go back to the person who suggested this and tell them there information is about 9 months out of date.

2 hours ago, Psychedelicropcircle said:

If Souttar is out for that long it's obvious we are getting told porkies which I have suspected for a while now. ☹️

I can't remember players having such regular long spells out in the old days when they trained at Tynecastle used public parks and used Portobello beach when the weather was frosty.

That MAGIC SPONGE that the trainer used certainly lived up to its name☺

1 minute ago, luckydug said:

I can't remember players having such regular long spells out in the old days when they trained at Tynecastle used public parks and used Portobello beach when the weather was frosty.

That MAGIC SPONGE that the trainer used certainly lived up to its name☺

John 'Lazarus' Colquhoun's weekly recovery from seemingly bad injuries.    Leg hanging off on the Thursday - nashing up the wing on the Saturday.

1 hour ago, Nookie Bear said:

If our medical procedures are as cutting edge as the football we play, we are probably treating the players with leeches ^_^

Leeches are used in some current medical procedures, more relating to plastic/reconstructive surgery rather than muscle strains though.  

25 minutes ago, Victorian said:

John 'Lazarus' Colquhoun's weekly recovery from seemingly bad injuries.    Leg hanging off on the Thursday - nashing up the wing on the Saturday.

My first thought too when I read luckydug's post. 

JC, and others, played in a much more brutal environment than today's players but didn't suffer such injury problems. Defenders, full backs and tough tackling midfielders were uncompromising and the tackle from behind was the norm. Yet JC would be unscathed or, at worst, unable to see out the game but be fine by the next match day. Nowadays he'd be stretchered off and be out for 3-6 months. His assailant would probably pick up a knock too and miss games.

I blame rotation and chopping and changing teams every game. Back then you played your best XI, regardless of venue or opponent, and playing every week toughened the players and made them more robust to cope with the rigours of Scottish football. Today they're wrapped in cotton wool, eased in, play 30 minutes here, miss a game, and play 30 minutes there. Little wonder they appear to be made of china and break easily. 

Worth pointing out also that, despite his well documented injury problems, Craig Levein's trick knee held out for over 6 years of football before finally becoming beyond treatment. Highly unlikely a modern player could function with a knee that wasn't 100% nowadays. 

30 minutes ago, martoon said:

JC, and others, played in a much more brutal environment than today's players but didn't suffer such injury problems. Defenders, full backs and tough tackling midfielders were uncompromising and the tackle from behind was the norm. Yet JC would be unscathed or, at worst, unable to see out the game but be fine by the next match day. Nowadays he'd be stretchered off and be out for 3-6 months. His assailant would probably pick up a knock too and miss games.

I blame rotation and chopping and changing teams every game. Back then you played your best XI, regardless of venue or opponent, and playing every week toughened the players and made them more robust to cope with the rigours of Scottish football. Today they're wrapped in cotton wool, eased in, play 30 minutes here, miss a game, and play 30 minutes there. Little wonder they appear to be made of china and break easily. 

Worth pointing out also that, despite his well documented injury problems, Craig Levein's trick knee held out for over 6 years of football before finally becoming beyond treatment. Highly unlikely a modern player could function with a knee that wasn't 100% nowadays. 

You just need to look at the 85/86 season to see that. 

J C was a total freak of nature the way he used to be ready for the next week after being battered the previous one. 🙂

Psychedelicropcircle
4 hours ago, wavydavy said:

What does that mean in English please?

It means knee-eyed-ear 😧

16 minutes ago, Psychedelicropcircle said:

It means knee-eyed-ear 😧

nae wonder w keep getting injuries if that's the way they are connected up! it's as bad as the no eyed deer!!

Tom Hardy’s Dug
6 hours ago, Psychedelicropcircle said:

Not sure I buy this - that side of the club has been reviewed and scrutinised. We’d get rid of people who were causing injuries and decimating the team. That would be an easy decision/thing to do.

Just now, Tom Hardy’s Dug said:

Not sure I buy this - that side of the club has been reviewed and scrutinised. We’d get rid of people who were causing injuries and decimating the team. That would be an easy decision/thing to do.

On the injuries thread folk now saying Souttar in plaster and out for another 3 months !!!

Psychedelicropcircle
1 hour ago, Robbo-Jambo said:

On the injuries thread folk now saying Souttar in plaster and out for another 3 months !!!

So I wasn’t all wrong surgery earlier this week I heard.

Psychedelicropcircle
1 hour ago, gjcc said:

I’ve no idea what it means either. :look:

Say it in a Geordie accent that’ll help😂

Bazzas right boot
7 hours ago, Psychedelicropcircle said:

I heard he was doing his access to a medical degree course. 

He Thinks by the time he does 7 years of education then a 3 year residency he'll be able to fix himself quicker than the fully qualified Hearts science and medical team can ever hope to. 

Also heard js is out for 2 years after acting out Mario cart in real life. 

He got injured when his mate, let's call him Bowser hit him in the face with a pack of lidl mushrooms and he span off into the lava. 

Terrible. 

10 minutes ago, Smith's right boot said:

He got injured when his mate, let's call him Bowser hit him in the face with a pack of lidl mushrooms and he span off into the lava. 

Terrible. 

Nonsense. Everyone knows you respawn fairly quickly after that. 

12 hours ago, Tom Hardy’s Dug said:

Nor Scotland. Our injury list is an absolute joke, beyond just coincidence in my opinion.

Psychedelicropcircle
1 hour ago, Smith's right boot said:

I heard he was doing his access to a medical degree course. 

He Thinks by the time he does 7 years of education then a 3 year residency he'll be able to fix himself quicker than the fully qualified Hearts science and medical team can ever hope to. 

Terrible. 

As the lad who told me has no reason to lie there’s a good chance I’ll be proved right & you’ll look like a ***** & not for the first time on here.

6 minutes ago, Psychedelicropcircle said:

As the lad who told me has no reason to lie there’s a good chance I’ll be proved right & you’ll look like a ***** & not for the first time on here.

Tbh you can hardly blame SRB for being a bit sceptical on this occasion.

Hungry hippo
12 minutes ago, Psychedelicropcircle said:

Someone posted the same about Souttar on the Injuries thread a couple of days ago. No idea if true.

7 hours ago, martoon said:

I’ve said before on similar threads in the past that I feel the new generation of players are conditioned on sticking their hands up for the slightest of injuries. 

Taking into account your last paragraph I do think players in the past were far more hardy, committed and probably too much for their own good in all honesty, as many may have suffered after their careers. But that was people back then. 100%, wanted to play all the time, wanted nothing more than to give their all for the jersey every week and that fed into you as a supporter.

Going off on a slight tangent. They go on about how fit players are now, how they have the best ever training and conditioning but look back at old footage, maybe the 80s team, even JJs 90s teams. Not just Hearts, but other games too.  The pace and desire players played with is second to none to what we are watching now. They had the touch and know-how with it. 

As soon as those players took to the pitch the first thing on their minds was is they were going to work harder than the opposition. 

Edited by Debut 4

Bazzas right boot
1 hour ago, Psychedelicropcircle said:

Hopefully not. 

Could do without that. 

Oh, and the Injurues would be a dull one as well. 😉

Lighten up. 

Anyone that starts a story with " I ken someone who told me" is opening themselves up. 

👍

Psychedelicropcircle
2 hours ago, Smith's right boot said:

Hopefully not. 

Could do without that. 

Oh, and the Injurues would be a dull one as well. 😉

Lighten up. 

Anyone that starts a story with " I ken someone who told me" is opening themselves up. 

👍

Sorry next time I’ll try & be a bit clearer that the guy that told me is a non sad sack who has better shit to be getting on with than making up stories. 

Best you be be getting back to your CL is wonderful posting. 

Nighty night

11 hours ago, Robbo-Jambo said:

You just need to look at the 85/86 season to see that. 

J C was a total freak of nature the way he used to be ready for the next week after being battered the previous one. 🙂

Absolutely. 

We all believed that John would be fine and he always was. 

Fantastic player for Heart of Midlothian. One of the best. 

5 minutes ago, martoon said:

Absolutely. 

We all believed that John would be fine and he always was. 

Fantastic player for Heart of Midlothian. One of the best. 

The second best bit of business we have ever done with Celtic. 50 grand for a player like that.  The best bit of business was getting 500 grand off them for Galloway.  Apart from his European goals in one season, inthought he was average garbage. 

3 minutes ago, FruitJuice said:

The second best bit of business we have ever done with Celtic. 50 grand for a player like that.  The best bit of business was getting 500 grand off them for Galloway.  Apart from his European goals in one season, inthought he was average garbage. 

Galloway's timing when attempting to head the ball is still etched on my mind.

At the crucial moment his feet were firmly back on the ground and the ball just sailed over his head. 

As you say, Mikey did us a turn in Europe that season, but Wallace and Doddie certainly saw Billy McNeil coming at the hotel that day. 

Fantastic business getting £500k when circa £150k would have been accepted. 

14 minutes ago, FruitJuice said:

Actually FJ, I'm not sure it was £50k. 

Could be wrong but £35k is the fee I recall.