• Alex Kintner

• Beast Boy

• been here before

• Herbert.

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Jambo, Goodbye
16 minutes ago, To Be Frank said:

We played well tonight and should have scored 4 or 5 goals.

Zanatta was a standout and will be like a new signing. Just as comfortable cutting inside and shooting on his right as he was getting to the byeline and crossing with his left. Pace, acceleration and strength. Promising...

MacLean, MacDonald and Henderson all linked well and Henderson missed a few good chances.

Bozanic and Smith both looked sharp and were removed at halftime as I assume they’ll be starting on Friday.

The only let down for me was Harry in midfield. Still very lightweight and brushed off the ball far too easily. Still has the same physique and upper body strength he had two years ago. Not got a good feeling about his future tbh.

Great to see most fans stay till the end and good to see Keatings and mcKay get a good reception when subbed. 

Thanks for the report,  I've a good feeling about Zanatta, it's probably last chance saloon for him with Hearts and he'll be trying his best to break into the first team. (Hopefully)

Selkirkhmfc1874
37 minutes ago, PTBCAL said:

McDonald has to be involved Friday night 

Said it for ages he great talent 

WheatfieldWarrior
28 minutes ago, MR INCREDIBLE said:

Said it for a while now. 

Zanatta best striker at the club. 

Needs more power in the shot and better accuracy -looked good going down the wing, but his shooting rarely roubled Ridgers tbh.

Captain Canada

I was very impressed with Zanatta. He's strong, quick and direct with a good shot on him too. He really needs a run in the team and hopefully won't be farmed out on loan again. He'd be a brilliant sub to bring on if nothing else. 

Dikamona looked a bit shaky at times but hasn't played many games in the past six months. 

MacDonald had a good game too and Henderson got into some great positions but couldn't finish. 

I've no idea what Friday's lineup will be as a lot of players seem to be a bit behind. The left back position isn't really anyone's just now. 

CornhillHearts

Thought McDonald and MacLean were excellent. 

As said, Zanatta’s direct running caused problems, I just got the feeling he wasn’t going to score. Maybe just needs one and he’ll be off and running.

Conversely Aidan Keena looked dangerous every time he was on the ball. 

GorgieFifeLife

Zanatta very impressive tonight, you can tell he has a lot of games under his belt and looked very confident. McDonald did ok but needs more end product and to get the head up more. McLean was very good linked up well with players around him. Petkov again looked very good think he has a great chance to make it.  Cochrane looked the worst player on the park so so weak and slow on the ball, think he will struggle if he went on loan to lower leagues as he is painfully weak.

20 minutes ago, WheatfieldWarrior said:

Needs more power in the shot and better accuracy -looked good going down the wing, but his shooting rarely roubled Ridgers tbh.

The Russians throwing money at him?

WheatfieldWarrior
1 minute ago, Icon of Symmetry said:

The Russians throwing money at him?

Is it the typo police, or the GKB?

1 minute ago, WheatfieldWarrior said:

Is it the typo police, or the GKB?

Commaist invadion.

5 minutes ago, Icon of Symmetry said:

Commaist invadion.

Toochey

Or  

11344-004-5529F910.jpgche-guevara-9322774-1-402.jpg

Edited by Lovecraft

Lord Beni of Gorgie

Haring ****ed is a bit of a horror story for us along with Naismith contract situation and Djoum leaving. 

What a ton of experience to be missing for kick off. 

I would have to say the preparation does not look like a team ready for a fast start. 

Dundee United first match is not what we want,  but win and it buys us 3 more weeks to get a semblance of order 

Alex Kintner
27 minutes ago, GorgieFifeLife said:

Zanatta very impressive tonight, you can tell he has a lot of games under his belt and looked very confident. McDonald did ok but needs more end product and to get the head up more. McLean was very good linked up well with players around him. Petkov again looked very good think he has a great chance to make it.  Cochrane looked the worst player on the park so so weak and slow on the ball, think he will struggle if he went on loan to lower leagues as he is painfully weak.

Unfortunately I agree with you re. Cochrane ?

Alex Kintner
1 minute ago, Sir Gio said:

Haring ****ed is a bit of a horror story for us along with Naismith contract situation and Djoum leaving. 

What a ton of experience to be missing for kick off. 

I would have to say the preparation does not look like a team ready for a fast start. 

Dundee United first match is not what we want,  but win and it buys us 3 more weeks to get a semblance of order 

I think what we need to remember is we are still three weeks away from the first league game. Before the invention of the league cup group stage then we would still just be playing friendly matches. I wouldn’t expect us to be 100% ready three weeks before our first league game as the players have only been back in training two weeks and some have hardly seen any game time.

JamboAndrew
5 minutes ago, To Be Frank said:

Sad to hear about Cochrane. Maybe too fast too soon. Maybe a loan to an unglamorous club and 40 games out of the spotlight toughening up and realizing that talent alone won't get you there is what's needed. I don't know why, bit I was so hoping he would make it.

Soft spots for Zanata and McDonald too. Hope both will be an example to Cochrane by having good seasons after a period away.

I'll echo the view of others about Zanatta, McDonald and McLean albeit they really need to take their chances! Zanatta was the stand out for me and I think the games he's played on loan showed through. I really hope he gets his chance this year.

I don't think I'd seen Petrov before and thought he looked promising. Physically there's potential in there too.

What was telling was the comfort on the ball across the younger players. Yeh, you can try flicks, turns and little give and goes in a game like this but it wasn't the exception. Seems like it's properly coached in.

As for insight to team for Friday. None is the answer. And wasn't to be expected.

Lord Beni of Gorgie
Just now, To Be Frank said:

I think what we need to remember is we are still three weeks away from the first league game. Before the invention of the league cup group stage then we would still just be playing friendly matches. I wouldn’t expect us to be 100% ready three weeks before our first league game as the players have only been back in training two weeks and some have hardly seen any game time.

However, it could effectively see us out of the cup,  or unseeded for the final 16.

Haring and Lee we knew were injured,  Djoum we knew he was away in any case and unlikely to come back,  the Clare position seems I am afraid to be quite literally a cover story. 

Would love to have insight to what the position is and has been on midfield. 

He seems to be rather vague on the topic whilst he's been clear on other positions. 

Assuming Edwards and Clare will start Friday. 

Zlamal

Smith Souttar Berra Halkett Mulraney 

Edwards Clare McDonald 

Maclean Washington 

I continue to have high hopes for Keena. He seems to have a bit of something about him in terms of a wee bit of cockiness and not scared to make himself heard, even to the senior players. 

Alex Kintner
7 minutes ago, Sir Gio said:

However, it could effectively see us out of the cup,  or unseeded for the final 16.

Haring and Lee we knew were injured,  Djoum we knew he was away in any case and unlikely to come back,  the Clare position seems I am afraid to be quite literally a cover story. 

He seems to be rather vague on the topic whilst he's been clear on other positions. 

Zlamal

Edwards Clare McDonald 

Maclean Washington 

Yeah i totally get that and that’s why I think it’s unfortunate the toughest challenge has come in the first match. We’re only effectively half way through pre season but having to play a tricky competitive match. Certainly not as confident as I’d have been with this being game 3 or 4 and having the likes of Uche, Washington and Walker up to speed.

Think Bozanic a certainty to start Friday after a good showing tonight and being taken off at half time with Berra and Smith

Edited by To Be Frank

Alex Kintner
7 minutes ago, Tazio said:

I continue to have high hopes for Keena. He seems to have a bit of something about him in terms of a wee bit of cockiness and not scared to make himself heard, even to the senior players. 

Looked very sharp when he came on despite his injury lay off

1 hour ago, MR INCREDIBLE said:

Said it for a while now. 

Zanatta best striker at the club. 

Done hee-haw versus Glenavon so I'll not be getting carried away just yet. 

jamboinglasgow
22 minutes ago, To Be Frank said:

I feel like I watched a different Cochrane to the two of you tonight, thought he looked decent first half and while wasn't in the same form the second half, he wasn't as bad as made out on here.

Alex Kintner
1 minute ago, jamboinglasgow said:

I feel like I watched a different Cochrane to the two of you tonight, thought he looked decent first half and while wasn't in the same form the second half, he wasn't as bad as made out on here.

I was honestly really disappointed. Fell over any time anyone went near him and his passing was way off which is unlike him. Played a total hospital ball to Brandon at one point. I want to see him develop and become a superstar but he is going to need to work on his physique and strength.

WheatfieldWarrior
10 minutes ago, jamboinglasgow said:

I think he played ok tonight - if we're expecting him to take Scott Brown's lunch money every game, we're likely to be disappointed.

48 minutes ago, Sir Gio said:

Zlamal

Edwards Clare McDonald 

Maclean Washington 

Is that in addition to your desire to know about budgetary matters?  You need a hotline set up between you and AB/CL

Still very early in the season.  Too early to give up on Cochrane or anyone else but I hope he comes good.

Great turnout but why would I be surprised.

14 hours ago, To Be Frank said:

We played 4-4-2 all game though ??‍♂️

Hence why I said in general. Levein has signalled his intent at playing a 4-3-3. Tbh, once Wighton went off, it didn't play like a 4-4-2 at all. MacLean shows wide for it all the time, it was more like a 4-3-3 with Henderson making the runs forward and MacLean playing as a false 9.

Lord Beni of Gorgie
11 hours ago, JamboAl said:

Is that in addition to your desire to know about budgetary matters?  You need a hotline set up between you and AB/CL

:rofl:

Didn't say I had the right to know 

:rofl:

Alex Kintner
6 minutes ago, Locky said:

Hence why I said in general. Levein has signalled his intent at playing a 4-3-3. Tbh, once Wighton went off, it didn't play like a 4-4-2 at all. MacLean shows wide for it all the time, it was more like a 4-3-3 with Henderson making the runs forward and MacLean playing as a false 9.

It was a 4-4-2 and was pretty much as blatant a 4-4-2 as you can see on a pitch. Looks like Levein wants to go with two up front now we have options in Uche, Washington, Naismith, MacLean and Keena which is what he’s always had success with in the past.

Naisysback
13 hours ago, GorgieFifeLife said:

Struggling with the McDonald end product and needs to get his head up. He created 3/4 clear chances last night, very rarely gave the ball away, scored, could have had another. He could quite easily have had 2 goals and 3 assists....not bad for someone who needs more end product and needs to get his head up. If anything Zanatta needs to get his head up and see when people are in better positions. He makes good runs but only interest is shooting, 3 or 4 times in 2nd half he had options on to square the ball and he took on a shot...his decision making is what will cost him a place in the team.

Harry started slowly but thought in the 2nd half he played well. In the 1st half the ball was being lumped long all the time, keeper, Berra, Dikamona just going long. 2nd half the boys started playing football from the back and through midfield, that allowed Harry,Bobby,Anthony,MacLean etc to get on the ball more in better positions.

Think some of the comments around Harry are harsh. He isn't a box to box midfielder, he isn't a hard man in the middle...he is a ball player. Needs to be on the ball and passing it, no good the ball going 20ft over his head. He has this huge expectation on him every time he goes on the park, maybe that is unfounded, maybe he isn't what people want him to be but that doesn't mean he isn't a very good footballer with a great future ahead of him. I agree I don't think a loan to the lower leagues will help him, maybe to a side like ICT, they play football so will suit him. He needs minutes on the pitch in games that matter, by that I mean, bonuses help pay wages etc so players demand from each other so there is a pressure. That has to be better than reserve team football for him as I cant see him getting a lot of 1st team football this season.

14 hours ago, To Be Frank said:

We played well tonight and should have scored 4 or 5 goals.

Zanatta was a standout and will be like a new signing. Just as comfortable cutting inside and shooting on his right as he was getting to the byeline and crossing with his left. Pace, acceleration and strength. Promising...

MacLean, MacDonald and Henderson all linked well and Henderson missed a few good chances.

Bozanic and Smith both looked sharp and were removed at halftime as I assume they’ll be starting on Friday.

The only let down for me was Harry in midfield. Still very lightweight and brushed off the ball far too easily. Still has the same physique and upper body strength he had two years ago. Not got a good feeling about his future tbh.

Great to see most fans stay till the end and good to see Keatings and mcKay get a good reception when subbed. 

I have to agree, thought Harry was not at the races tonight, their no 6 had him in his back pocket, surprised that over the last year they haven't managed to bulk him up at all, bit worrying as he is small framed and he needs to be stronger with the ball and without it, gets brushed off far too easily.

People’s bodies develop at different rates. I’m glad we aren’t taking any chances in ruining Cochrane, by attempting to build him up beyond what his still developing body is capable of supporting. I think too much is made of his physique and pace.

the general
27 minutes ago, Icon of Symmetry said:

People’s bodies develop at different rates. I’m glad we aren’t taking any chances in ruining Cochrane, by attempting to build him up beyond what his still developing body is capable of supporting. I think too much is made of his physique and pace.

Agreed ..thought he put in a good shift at both ends

34 minutes ago, Naisysback said:

Struggling with the McDonald end product and needs to get his head up. He created 3/4 clear chances last night, very rarely gave the ball away, scored, could have had another. He could quite easily have had 2 goals and 3 assists....not bad for someone who needs more end product and needs to get his head up. If anything Zanatta needs to get his head up and see when people are in better positions. He makes good runs but only interest is shooting, 3 or 4 times in 2nd half he had options on to square the ball and he took on a shot...his decision making is what will cost him a place in the team.

Harry started slowly but thought in the 2nd half he played well. In the 1st half the ball was being lumped long all the time, keeper, Berra, Dikamona just going long. 2nd half the boys started playing football from the back and through midfield, that allowed Harry,Bobby,Anthony,MacLean etc to get on the ball more in better positions.

Think some of the comments around Harry are harsh. He isn't a box to box midfielder, he isn't a hard man in the middle...he is a ball player. Needs to be on the ball and passing it, no good the ball going 20ft over his head. He has this huge expectation on him every time he goes on the park, maybe that is unfounded, maybe he isn't what people want him to be but that doesn't mean he isn't a very good footballer with a great future ahead of him. I agree I don't think a loan to the lower leagues will help him, maybe to a side like ICT, they play football so will suit him. He needs minutes on the pitch in games that matter, by that I mean, bonuses help pay wages etc so players demand from each other so there is a pressure. That has to be better than reserve team football for him as I cant see him getting a lot of 1st team football this season.

Just shows you games are about opinions .... the game I watched Zanatta was effective and ALL game Cochrane was ineffective and light weight.  One seems to have kicked on and the other not yet.

Just now, the general said:

Agreed ..thought he put in a good shift at both ends

Never saw it chief. I can’t argue that either way. People I know who were there give me mixed reviews.

For me though, the stuff about his “pace” and his “physique” is totally wrong in terms of what people expect from teenage footballers.

Just now, Disco Ball said:

Just shows you games are about opinions .... the game I watched Zanatta was effective and ALL game Cochrane was ineffective and light weight.  One seems to have kicked on and the other not yet.

Cant emphasis this word enough from your post.

I met 16/17 year old Zanatta a few years ago, and got speaking to him. Brilliant kid, who apart from being taller, looked just like Cochrane does now. Skinny as hell.

Zanatta is a good few years older than Cochrane, and I am confident Cochrane will look just as different physically in four years time, like Zanatta does now, compared to back then.

15 hours ago, Finlay James said:

I think a season on loan will do Harry the world of good.  He needs to get out of the limelight and get some game time.

Agree .. 

Naisysback
3 minutes ago, Disco Ball said:

I don't disagree that Zanatta played well but when he gets into that final 3rd he needs to be better, he took on shots last night when a pass would have been a better option, just a bit more awareness of whats around him , where his support is....as I said the decision making could cost him a place in the team. The expectation on him in that position is to create chances and score goals, with a bit more composure and awareness he could easily have done both last night. Maybe desperate to impress.

Again maybe the expectation on Harry is too much, all came at him very young and he has had a target on his back ever since. Maybe a loan somewhere that he can just play would be a good move for him, worked for Morrisson, Irving, Zanatta.

1 minute ago, Naisysback said:

I don't disagree that Zanatta played well but when he gets into that final 3rd he needs to be better, he took on shots last night when a pass would have been a better option, just a bit more awareness of whats around him , where his support is....as I said the decision making could cost him a place in the team. The expectation on him in that position is to create chances and score goals, with a bit more composure and awareness he could easily have done both last night. Maybe desperate to impress.

Again maybe the expectation on Harry is too much, all came at him very young and he has had a target on his back ever since. Maybe a loan somewhere that he can just play would be a good move for him, worked for Morrisson, Irving, Zanatta.

The comparisons to Zanatta are interesting. Both broke through whilst about 16 y/o, skinny as hell, and are now being developed and honed as well as the club can manage. Every player is different though, and what works for one doesn’t necessarily work for another. If Cochrane develops a physique like Zanatta’s, we have a pretty frighteningly good CM on our hands.

2 minutes ago, Naisysback said:

I heard that that they were encouraged to shoot more last night ... I think they took that on board and enjoyed it.  

GorgieFifeLife
58 minutes ago, Naisysback said:

Yeah think we have seen things differently but that is not unusual as quite often people watching same game see different things. Just thought that Zanatta looked the all round better player. Too often our players want to walk the ball in net but he was confident enough to take responsibility to shoot. McDonald gets his head down when he dribbles and often doesn't see possible passes. There was a few could of should of moments for him but he needs to actually do it.  I can only go on what I see with Cochrane and in the Scottish Leagues you cant get away with just being a ball playing midfielder you need to be able to mix it and have the physique to do it but he is all too easily brushed aside.  He may well develop this side to his game but if he doesn't I don't see him making the grade.

On 09/07/2019 at 09:32, Jambo, Goodbye said:

Thanks for the report,  I've a good feeling about Zanatta, it's probably last chance saloon for him with Hearts and he'll be trying his best to break into the first team. (Hopefully)

That’s where I’m at 

I thought when we signed him that he had real potential ... still to realise it but he has all the attributes at a young age in the modern game to make it 

just hope it’s with us .. it’s make or break for him this season 

I find the comments about Cochrane strange to be honest, while he’s never going to be a brellier his game craft has improved hugely. He was much better at protecting the ball on Monday and now knows when he can take a touch and then make a pass or when he simply just needs to get across his man and draw the foul.

Alex Kintner
6 minutes ago, Ribble said:

I find the comments about Cochrane strange to be honest, while he’s never going to be a brellier his game craft has improved hugely. He was much better at protecting the ball on Monday and now knows when he can take a touch and then make a pass or when he simply just needs to get across his man and draw the foul.

It’s all well and good being able to draw the foul (McGinn has built a career on it)  but he went down easily so many times that the ref just got fed up and started waving play om.

1 hour ago, To Be Frank said:

It’s all well and good being able to draw the foul (McGinn has built a career on it)  but he went down easily so many times that the ref just got fed up and started waving play om.

The ref getting fed up with it rather than booking players for persistent fouling isn't exactly Harry fault though is it?

Had it been a competitive game then I'd wager 2 or 3 of the ICT midfield would have picked up bookings for the number of fouls on Cochrane, while you might think he's going down easily I felt he was being very clever in his protection of the ball, managing to shift it away form the opposition so their only option was to foul or back off.