Edinburgh International Festival at Tynecastle

tartofmidlothian

5 minutes ago, Prof said:

Ever heard of ground impaction and compression and the effect it has on water availability in grass? The effects do not become apparent for a number of months.  Plenty of examples for you to look up using google scholar.

These guys, our experts explain a bit more about staging events here. 

https://strigroup.com/sport/stadiums-pitch-design/

• Replies 487
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mikey1874

• kila

• tartofmidlothian

• been here before

Excellent night at Tynie, looked great I had a few folk with me who had never been before and they loved it... here's some random photos, glad I wasn't in the new stand everyone was melting !!

-PAXP-deijE.gif?_nc_x=r5YpZgiWtLK67535013_10156810996032917_628618557261667504726_10156810995932917_818722492918067655953_10156810996417917_644578823237367676403_10156810996552917_759056926642067700298_10156810996682917_477977083486667747171_10156810996812917_556107867366868268748_10156810996957917_8792906156474

gashauskis9
6 minutes ago, frodoker said:

Excellent night at Tynie, looked great I had a few folk with me who had never been before and they loved it... here's some random photos, glad I wasn't in the new stand everyone was melting !!

-PAXP-deijE.gif?_nc_x=r5YpZgiWtLK67535013_10156810996032917_628618557261667504726_10156810995932917_818722492918067655953_10156810996417917_644578823237367676403_10156810996552917_759056926642067700298_10156810996682917_477977083486667747171_10156810996812917_556107867366868268748_10156810996957917_8792906156474

Stunning!!!

Unknown user
24 minutes ago, Prof said:

First class honours and PhD in Botany.

What type of lighting, how many watts per m2, and how many hours per week would you say the shaded parts of the pitch need for healthy, consistent growth during winter?

tartofmidlothian
1 hour ago, Icon of Symmetry said:

Absolutely no bitterness here. Nope, none at all. :teehee:

STANDING ON HER OWN... ON. HER. OWN!

:wow:

142D771D-8D3A-43B0-BB57-8E3946C7225E.png

I demand to know which Lithuanian I can send my email of complaint about this extremely successful event to. :vangry:

AlphonseCapone
37 minutes ago, Prof said:

Cover hybrid grass football pitches? What was your thesis on? 

Governor Tarkin
44 minutes ago, Prof said:

Grow weed, bud, U?

53 minutes ago, Prof said:

Ever heard of ground impaction and compression and the effect it has on water availability in grass? The effects do not become apparent for a number of months.  Plenty of examples for you to look up using google scholar.

Pitch will not be permanently damaged at all. Pitch will recover just fine from having the boards down on it. Also you do know that it’s not all turf?

Edited by hmfc2011

Mid Calder Jambo
4 minutes ago, Debut 4 said:

Yer mullyin poond pitch is ruined......

275D0E8F-2A61-495D-9987-72EE14C00457.jpeg

Don't you dare post photos of the Proclaimers on this forum.

2 minutes ago, Mid Calder Jambo said:

Don't you dare post photos of the Proclaimers on this forum.

At least it was the better looking one.  

Mid Calder Jambo
5 minutes ago, Debut 4 said:

At least it was the better looking one.  

Thank christ we couldn't hear it sing.

TorinoJambo
1 hour ago, tartofmidlothian said:

I demand to know which Lithuanian I can send my email of complaint about this extremely successful event to. :vangry:

What a bunch of ignorant jealous ****wits. No more to be said.

16 hours ago, Kiwidoug said:

I tend to keep quite usually about my enjoyment of classical music.  It tends to make people think you're a bit up yourself and stops you fitting in.

I got into it via my wife when we lived in London.  Concerts at venues like the Festival hall and the Albert Hall were nothing short of fantastic.  Encores often lasted 20 minutes or more.

There you are.  I've outed myself.  Chycoffski is a legend.

Weirdo.

highlandjambo3
13 hours ago, Jamboross said:

Absolutely cracking evening. Surreal seeing Tynecastle like that but some absolutely wonderful music and a fantastic atmosphere around the place. 

First time in the fans bar tonight too, amazed at how reasonable the prices were!

We absolutely must try and do more of this kind of thing during the summer months, must have made a fair few quid tonight and it gives us a chance to sell the club to non fans. The three folk I was with tonight (two non football fans and a lapsed Hibby) all commented on how good the experience was and are going to get tickets for A War of Two Halves as well. 

Really need to do something about those seagulls though... 

Am sure there is a bloke for hire with an eagle Owl..... seagulls are shit scared of these monsters, fly it about an hour or so 2-3 days a week should see the end of the sky rats.... or dress up jock the jambo in a new rig and get him/her out there running about, let’s face it, the furry mascot does fek all else outside match days.

Any pictures of how the pitch is looking after last night's event then. Hopefully limited damage if any at all i hope.

Good event, really enjoyed it. Could have done with being a little louder, especially with so many people talking through the performances. 

Unknown user
12 minutes ago, highlandjambo3 said:

Am sure there is a bloke for hire with an eagle Owl..... seagulls are shit scared of these monsters, fly it about an hour or so 2-3 days a week should see the end of the sky rats.... or dress up jock the jambo in a new rig and get him/her out there running about, let’s face it, the furry mascot does fek all else outside match days.

I got talking to a guy who keeps Central Retail Park in Falkirk free from seagulls with a Harris Hawk recently, it's very very effective apparently.

******* magnificent beast the hawk was too.

queensferryjambo
18 hours ago, Zlatanable said:

why didn't Chewbacca get a medal, still upset

18 hours ago, neilnunb said:

Geek time

Because wookie's don't value things like medals. 

😛

Chewie traded his medal to get the last line in the film.

Amazing how many posters are experts on pitch management without having any formal training or experience.

4 minutes ago, Prof said:

Amazing how many posters are experts on pitch management without having any formal training or experience.

😴😴

1 hour ago, Ray Gin said:

Good event, really enjoyed it. Could have done with being a little louder, especially with so many people talking through the performances. 

As they say, "a change is as good as a holiday" and in that respect, the orchestra must have a great time with the chatter from the audience as well as the sight of folks constantly coming and going to the toilets or for refreshments as well as those leaving early at the end. People quietly sitting in their seats listening attentively in the auditoriums they normally use like the Usher Hall etc. must be an utter bore for them.

Edited by JohnB

It's been estimated that for around 70% of the audience last night, it was their first live classical music concert.

2,500 tickets were given to various schools and community services providers as part of the Festival's outreach programme.

We can perhaps forgive them for not knowing the accepted rules and traditions or a classical audience.

been here before
4 hours ago, Prof said:

We don’t have a particularly good record in pitch care. Before the last pitch was laid which cost about £1 million, various reseeding attempts were undertaken, all of which ended up poorly. The goal mouths, touchlines and corner flags in particular were a disgrace for a club like Hearts.

Which is something we all know. Im not sure that really proves your credentials.

Whats next? The lines arent really white grass?

Unknown user
54 minutes ago, Prof said:

I'm certainly no expert, I know basically nothing on the subject!

There is a lot of gobshitery on here though so I'm testing the water with a question that a botany PhD with knowledge of sports pitches could answer in his sleep.

1 hour ago, Prof said:

Maybe not many on here but I’m sure the people who assessed the potential damage and advised on the way to protect the pitch are. 

Again - do you think they just slapped some boards down on the expensive pitch and hoped for the best?  

Full YouTube replay on the conductor's channel - comments all very positive, no one has said anything bad about the sound, we have the best acoustics :D 

Edited by kila

Grass is very resilient if on a properly maintained surface. The old Tynecastle pitch was horrendous because beneath the surface it had turned to hard clay so drainage was a problem and roots didn't flourish much. Totally different story now.

Check out golf courses for how quickly grass recovers, especially after an outing of half cut high handicappers.

TyphoonJambo

I've just moved my shed, nothing but mud and slugs now. 

1 hour ago, Zlatanable said:

Maybe Hearts were testing it last night. 

When I saw the photos on here, it was a bit unreal seeing Tynecastle like that. Yet, I was also thinking, that could bring in money all through the year if it works. Is Edinburgh not missing about 15,000 capacity venues? Like the Hydro in Glasgow.

Has Tynecastle ever been used like that before, with a stage on the pitch.

edit- Edinburgh Castle capacity for concerts is about 8,800

I think we would need to minimise noise to have a venue similar to the Hydro. Would love it if we could put on a retractable roof. It would really take Tynecastle to a different level of venue in Scotland . No idea how much that would cost but maybe something for FoH to fund? 

25 minutes ago, stuart500 said:

I think we would need to minimise noise to have a venue similar to the Hydro. Would love it if we could put on a retractable roof. It would really take Tynecastle to a different level of venue in Scotland . No idea how much that would cost but maybe something for FoH to fund? 

They are very expensive. The recent one at Wimbledon tennis was £70 million. 

But Ann's statement suggested we would be saving to have money for future projects.

A few events at a reasonable time of day would seem possible. 

Edited by Mikey1874

2 hours ago, Morph said:

Again - do you think they just slapped some boards down on the expensive pitch and hoped for the best?  

I believe that's what they done to the cheap pitch at Easter Road for the Elton John gig. 

Must have cost a fair whack to set that rig up  last night. Fantastic that they managed to put it on for free attendance.

It is a shame that there were quite a few empty seats - lots of people were eager to attend this event but didn't have tickets. Surely if you can't go it's not that hard to give them to someone else instead?

The amount of folk turning up at 6:55/7pm as well.  :facepalm:

It's a 15k event, you didn't think there might be queues and it would take a while to get in to the stadium?  The start had to be be delayed by about 20 minutes, and in the end they just had to open the gates and let folk pour in without scanning the tickets to speed things up.

1 minute ago, Ray Gin said:

Must have cost a fair whack to set that rig up  last night. Fantastic that they managed to put it on for free attendance.

It is a shame that there were quite a few empty seats - lots of people were eager to attend this event but didn't have tickets. Surely if you can't go it's not that hard to give them to someone else instead?

The amount of folk turning up at 6:55/7pm as well.  :facepalm:

It's a 15k event, you didn't think there might be queues and it would take a while to get in to the stadium?  The start had to be be delayed by about 20 minutes, and in the end they just had to open the gates and let folk pour in without scanning the tickets to speed things up.

I'm surprised they never put a nominal price on tickets of a couple of pound or a fiver. 

Might have prevented folk from being too greedy and requesting more than they needed and the money could have went to some local charity.

4 minutes ago, Nobreath said:

I'm surprised they never put a nominal price on tickets of a couple of pound or a fiver. 

Might have prevented folk from being too greedy and requesting more than they needed and the money could have went to some local charity.

I guess they realised it wasn't the sort of event that most in attendance would usually go to, but they'd give it a whirl for free. Big gamble to try and fill 15k if charging.

I certainly wouldn't have minded paying a fiver though

2 hours ago, Zlatanable said:

Maybe Hearts were testing it last night. 

When I saw the photos on here, it was a bit unreal seeing Tynecastle like that. Yet, I was also thinking, that could bring in money all through the year if it works. Is Edinburgh not missing about 15,000 capacity venues? Like the Hydro in Glasgow.

Has Tynecastle ever been used like that before, with a stage on the pitch.

edit- Edinburgh Castle capacity for concerts is about 8,800

So weather dependant though, and limited to June/July. Totally lucked out with the weather last night. Lovely warm night with clear skies and no wind.

12 minutes ago, Nobreath said:

Yeah

This relatively new format for the opening event has been free.

I think the comms could have better. In 2 long emails they did say you could tell them if you weren't going but they should have made it clearer. 

9 minutes ago, Zlatanable said:

Options. Options for the biggest venue in Edinburgh. Dependant on a lot of things. 

But, options. 

Less hassle than all the scaffolding at Edinburgh Castle with more tickets. 

No shelter from the rain at the Castle 

All types of music should be for all types of people.

Free entry was the right call by the EIF and the venue was set up like a more traditional stadium

concert which allowed you to go and grab a beer or whatever at any time.

I’m sure the orchestra enjoyed the different environment and atmosphere and I hope that people going to their first classical (albeit commercial classical) concert had a great time and think about going to similar events again.

One great event down here is Proms in the Park on the last day/night of the Proms. There is also a brilliant Classical Spectacular show with all the well known classic favourites at the Albert Hall twice a year.

letsalllaughathobos
9 hours ago, Darren said:

The huge queues outside the Wheatfield would suggest otherwise.

Fair enough,I talked to the head steward at main stand asking about que he says that the other entrances where very quiet and we should try them, 

7 hours ago, Boris5115 said:

Any pictures of how the pitch is looking after last night's event then. Hopefully limited damage if any at all i hope.

Pitch will be tip top, we’re still in the middle of the growing season & the turf will be immaculate for the County game. 

Shrewd piece of business by Ann. People from all around the country have now experienced Tynecastle Park and all it has to offer. 

4 minutes ago, Dannie Boy said:

Shrewd piece of business by Ann. People from all around the country have now experienced Tynecastle Park and all it has to offer. 

World.

Loads of tourists at the festival - will have been a number from further afield there last night.

24 minutes ago, Jammy T said:

World.

Loads of tourists at the festival - will have been a number from further afield there last night.

Yes indeed. 

11 hours ago, Boris5115 said:

Seems to have held up pretty well

ploughed-field-stock-photo_csp8982812.jpg

7 hours ago, Mikey1874 said:

They are very expensive. The recent one at Wimbledon tennis was £70 million. 

But Ann's statement suggested we would be saving to have money for future projects.

A few events at a reasonable time of day would seem possible. 

I wonder if it would be possible to have a marquee style roof fitted.