U.S. Politics megathread (merged)

trex

The fact that people will vote for anyone with a rod rosette is in itself worrying. Trump got the second highest number of votes of any presidential candidate. That people will blindly vote for anyone of a certain party, irrespective of how bad that person is, highlights massive issues with the education system.

• Replies 32.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JFK-1

• Maple Leaf

• Justin Z

• Watt-Zeefuik

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

2 minutes ago, Stokesy said:

The fact that people will vote for anyone with a rod rosette is in itself worrying. Trump got the second highest number of votes of any presidential candidate. That people will blindly vote for anyone of a certain party, irrespective of how bad that person is, highlights massive issues with the education system.

And Party politics.

13 minutes ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

Indeed, I think this 72 million is a red-herring, simply because by far the vast majority of people would have I believe, voted Republican before they voted for Donald Trump, Donald Duck could have stood for the Republicans against Joe Biden and would have still got many many millions of votes.

Like you say the real number of Trump roasters are relatively small in number compared to the Republican voter base, and once Trump is no longer relevant they'll slither off back to their flat earth society conventions, until that is, another nutjob loser comes along to fly the conspiracy fruitloaf's banner.

Let's hope so.     It's even possible that some of the Trump militia don't actually bother to vote at all - they're just looking for some  "action", similar to the dangerous jackboot thugs who used to turn up at BNP marches.    It's an unfortunate consequence of democracy that a charismatic leader with oddball/dangerous views  seems to attract folk who would otherwise show little or no  interest in the democratic process.      Farage is an example too.

44 minutes ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

Indeed, I think this 72 million is a red-herring, simply because by far the vast majority of people would have I believe, voted Republican before they voted for Donald Trump, Donald Duck could have stood for the Republicans against Joe Biden and would have still got many many millions of votes.

Like you say the real number of Trump roasters are relatively small in number compared to the Republican voter base, and once Trump is no longer relevant they'll slither off back to their flat earth society conventions, until that is, another nutjob loser comes along to fly the conspiracy fruitloaf's banner.

I'm not convinced. The 73m is nearly 12m MORE than he got last time. Many of those who voted for him last time will have switched, not voted or expired meaning in terms of brand new Trump supporters the numbers will be even greater.

28 minutes ago, Lone Striker said:

Let's hope so.     It's even possible that some of the Trump militia don't actually bother to vote at all - they're just looking for some  "action", similar to the dangerous jackboot thugs who used to turn up at BNP marches.    It's an unfortunate consequence of democracy that a charismatic leader with oddball/dangerous views  seems to attract folk who would otherwise show little or no  interest in the democratic process.      Farage is an example too.

I watched the first part of a new series on TV last night. Rise of the Nazis, its interesting how the descriptions of the character and the descriptions in your post are so similar to those of the same in the series.

10 minutes ago, RobboM said:

I'm not convinced. The 73m is nearly 12m MORE than he got last time. Many of those who voted for him last time will have switched, not voted or expired meaning in terms of brand new Trump supporters the numbers will be even greater.

Well let's hope you are massively wrong, because the last thing anybody needs is millions more Trump supporting trumpets.

3 hours ago, RobboM said:

I don't think this one has been on here before. It's a funny and revealing twitter from Kenyan journalist Patrick Gathara reporting on US election like Americans report on other elections

https://boingboing.net/2020/11/08/kenyan-journalist-reports-on-us-election-like-americans-report-on-other-elections.html

and a wee taster from a recent tweet

image.png.5115aa2ff9ada48b419394ccb593575a.png

Superb stuff. Thanks for posting that. :thumb:

He just can't help himself.

Donald J. Trump

@realDonaldTrump

Another Vaccine just announced. This time by Moderna, 95% effective. For those great “historians”, please remember that these great discoveries, which will end the China Plague, all took place on my watch!

And over 250,000 deaths from the 'China Plague' have also taken place on your watch, something which the "historians" and everyone else will also remember. 

19 minutes ago, weehammy said:

The fact that he’s backed by the likes of Ted Cruz, whose father he mocked during the 2016 campaign, tells you all you need to know about GOP cynicism and opportunism.

Missed out "cowardice" 

Cruz just seems to be absolutely spineless. 

1 hour ago, weehammy said:

The fact that he’s backed by the likes of Ted Cruz, whose father he mocked during the 2016 campaign, tells you all you need to know about GOP cynicism and opportunism.

I am sure Pence, Cruz and other prospective Republican possible candidates for a 2024 run and totally enamored with the fact that they will have to enter preliminaries with Trump. All they have to do is what he done with Biden, age, age, age, he will be Bidens age as of now by 2024. Their Democrat opponent will be the now four year apprentice a woman of color, experience in the White House, and a vitriolic tongue when needed in debate. The old saying be careful what you wish for appropriate here.

Another batch of spurious Republican lawsuits withdrawn today in several states.  Combined with the 9 that were withdrawn or kicked out of court on Friday, their legal strategy for a coup is not going so well.

How long before il Duce tries to get the SCOTUS involved?

24 minutes ago, Maple Leaf said:

Another batch of spurious Republican lawsuits withdrawn today in several states.  Combined with the 9 that were withdrawn or kicked out of court on Friday, their legal strategy for a coup is not going so well.

But can he get them involved, when every case thus far is being flung out at the first hurdle and in multiple courts & in multiple states?

4 minutes ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

But can he get them involved, when every case thus far is being flung out at the first hurdle and in multiple courts & in multiple states?

Yes, good question.  Apparently, one can't just "take" a case to the SCOTUS, but I don't know any more than that.  Nevertheless, Trump has astonished us repeatedly in the last four years with stuff he's done or attempted to do.  He's got a couple of months left to astonish us again.

The Real Maroonblood
1 minute ago, Maple Leaf said:

Yes, good question.  Apparently, one can't just "take" a case to the SCOTUS, but I don't know any more than that.  Nevertheless, Trump has astonished us repeatedly in the last four years with stuff he's done or attempted to do.  He's got a couple of months left to astonish us again.

Just keep these nuclear codes away from the clown.

18 minutes ago, Maple Leaf said:

Indeed.

16 minutes ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

Just keep these nuclear codes away from the clown.

The adults in the room changed the codes months ago, the new codes are MAGA, BIDEN & OBAMA.

3 minutes ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

The adults in the room changed the codes months ago, the new codes are MAGA, BIDEN & OBAMA.

They added a new failsafe question - "Did you lose the presidential election in a fair and just way?". There's no way he's going to choose Yes, even if he wants to destroy us all. ;)

Edited by redjambo

The Real Maroonblood
3 minutes ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

:laugh2:

1 hour ago, Maple Leaf said:

It could be a while I think he would have to get another Court to come to a decision he doesn't like and then he can apply to the Supreme Court. They then make the decision whether they want to hear his appeal. It may work out for him with his selected Supreme Court, but I doubt any of them  would risk their legacy by opting to listen to a worthless case. To put it mildly he is Supremely screwed.

He must be the most shameless and brazen lying leader the world has seen  (so far) this century.   He's gone from "It's a hoax"  to "One day it will just disappear"  to  "All we're getting from the fake media  is  Covid, Covid, Covid"   ....... and now "Vaccines happening  on my watch".

An unfolding tragedy for honesty and democracy,

Ted Cruz's CPAC coronavirus exposure undercuts Trump's claim Covid-19 is  under control - Vox

44 minutes ago, redjambo said:

They added a new failsafe question - "Did you lose the presidential election in a fair and just way?". There's no way he's going to choose Yes, even if he wants to destroy us all. ;)

So we're safe afterall then. 👍

The Real Maroonblood
1 hour ago, Lone Striker said:

He must be the most shameless and brazen lying leader the world has seen  (so far) this century.   He's gone from "It's a hoax"  to "One day it will just disappear"  to  "All we're getting from the fake media  is  Covid, Covid, Covid"   ....... and now "Vaccines happening  on my watch".

An unfolding tragedy for honesty and democracy,

Ted Cruz's CPAC coronavirus exposure undercuts Trump's claim Covid-19 is  under control - Vox

I never thought it possible to enjoy a news channel but CNN is quality.

12 minutes ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

I never thought it possible to enjoy a news channel but CNN is quality.

As long as you don't mind the incessant advertisements for medicinal cures.

The Real Maroonblood
6 minutes ago, Maple Leaf said:

The adverts are certainly different from what I’m used to.

28 minutes ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

The adverts are certainly different from what I’m used to.

"If you take X medicine for skin problems, please be aware that it may cause skin problems.  And rectal hemorrhaging."

The Real Maroonblood
1 hour ago, Lovecraft said:

"If you take X medicine for skin problems, please be aware that it may cause skin problems.  And rectal hemorrhaging."

:lol:

4 hours ago, Maple Leaf said:

Don’t take this drug if you are allergic to this drug... profound 

A Boy Named Crow
10 minutes ago, Sharpie said:

Georgias Republican Secretary of State is reported to have stated that Lindsey Graham asked him to destroy legal votes.

Did he say whether or not he obliged?

19 minutes ago, Sharpie said:

Georgias Republican Secretary of State is reported to have stated that Lindsey Graham asked him to destroy legal votes.

Lindsey Graham, senator for South Carolina, getting involved in Georgia politics.  He's already donated one million dollars to the senate run-off in Georgia, and now he's trying to influence the vote count in Georgia.  He's a sleazy little rat.

The man in charge of the Georgia recount is a die-hard Republican, who has openly declared that he is disappointed with the Democratic victory, but has stated that he will follow the legal process.  If only the elected Republicans had the same morality.

A Boy Named Crow
24 minutes ago, Sharpie said:

I believe he said he didn't.

Oh, I'd love it to be demonstrably true. Could help with the run off campaigning. In fact, if it is true, can LG get hooked from the Senate? That'd be nice. 

This is where the US is now.

South Dakota ER nurse recalls how dying coronavirus patients spend last minutes insisting virus isn't real

"Their last dying words are, 'This can't be happening. It's not real,'" Doering recalled. In some cases, patients even insist they have the flu or lung cancer to avoid acknowledging the coronavirus.

A Boy Named Crow
41 minutes ago, Justin Z said:

This is where the US is now.

South Dakota ER nurse recalls how dying coronavirus patients spend last minutes insisting virus isn't real

"Their last dying words are, 'This can't be happening. It's not real,'" Doering recalled. In some cases, patients even insist they have the flu or lung cancer to avoid acknowledging the coronavirus.

It's terrifying to watch.  There's a huge cohort of utterly brainwashed fanatics, many of whom are armed to the teeth, hanging on every utterance of a narcissistic man-child. How does this not end in utter carnage?

1 hour ago, A Boy Named Crow said:

It's terrifying to watch.  There's a huge cohort of utterly brainwashed fanatics, many of whom are armed to the teeth, hanging on every utterance of a narcissistic man-child. How does this not end in utter carnage?

The brainwashed fanatics also don't trust the MSM, so rely on their news from alternative news sources such as facebook, twitter, word of mouth, conspiracy websites and of course Trump.

6 hours ago, Maple Leaf said:

Lindsey Graham, senator for South Carolina, getting involved in Georgia politics.  He's already donated one million dollars to the senate run-off in Georgia, and now he's trying to influence the vote count in Georgia.  He's a sleazy little rat.

The man in charge of the Georgia recount is a die-hard Republican, who has openly declared that he is disappointed with the Democratic victory, but has stated that he will follow the legal process.  If only the elected Republicans had the same morality.

https://edition.cnn.com/2020/11/16/politics/georgia-secretary-of-state-lindsey-graham-ballots-cnntv/index.html

Graham must be wanting the cell next to his bum chum Trump.

Trump wanted to bomb Iranian nuclear sites last week.

https://news.sky.com/story/donald-trump-mulled-an-attack-on-iran-nuclear-site-last-week-but-ended-up-holding-off-official-says-12134403

Wouldn't put it past him to do something like this just for spite, start a war with Iran and let the next administration try and clear up the mess.

2 hours ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

The brainwashed fanatics also don't trust the MSM, so rely on their news from alternative news sources such as facebook, twitter, word of mouth, conspiracy websites and of course Trump.

Loving this Kenyan perspective on US's madness

image.png.af239ae6aba9fae1029b6ce96f4237a7.png

I P Knightley
4 hours ago, RobboM said:

Loving this Kenyan perspective on US's madness

image.png.af239ae6aba9fae1029b6ce96f4237a7.png

On 16/11/2020 at 11:11, RobboM said:

I don't think this one has been on here before. It's a funny and revealing twitter from Kenyan journalist Patrick Gathara reporting on US election like Americans report on other elections

https://boingboing.net/2020/11/08/kenyan-journalist-reports-on-us-election-like-americans-report-on-other-elections.html

and a wee taster from a recent tweet

image.png.5115aa2ff9ada48b419394ccb593575a.png

President Obama's homeland properly taking the piss on this one :biglaugh:

2 hours ago, Barack said:

Giuliani has filed to.appear in Court in PA, today. Last time he was in a Federal Court, was 1992.

This'll be Borat 3-type shit.

Stream? 

Craig Gordons Gloves

Trump knows he has lost, the Republicans know he has lost but with the Georgia senate run off coming up, they all need to do as much as possible to drive the republican vote there so they can maintain the senate.  Additionally, Trump needs this time to do as much damage as he can so that when Biden eventually takes over, the country is so screwed from Covid that the economy finally collapses and Biden has no chance of containing Covid.

Incidentally, Covid cases in MN are up to nearly 8000 a day from 3400 a day last week, a state with the same pop as Scotland and a governor who has been trying to contain it but is being pushed back on by the republicans on everything.  We're surrounded by 4 of the worst states in the US for cases right now - Wisconsin, Iowa and the 2 Dakotas, meanwhile in SD, Kristi Noem, who is a massive Trumper, refuses to put any restrictions in place putting it on individuals to make the choices.  Biden is going to inherit an absolute shit show - worse than it ever worse. 

I P Knightley
10 minutes ago, Des Lynam said:

Stream? 

You're getting mixed up between Giuliani with the 'teenage' reporter and Trump in the Moscow hotel room.

At best, I'd imagine Giuliani could manage a dribble over his knuckles while Trump's companions, allegedly, had a stream.

Edited by I P Knightley

Watching Channel 4 news just now.

They said that Trump was actively trying to order a strike on key targets in Iran but had to be persuaded against it by his advisers.

This man has access to the red button until 20th January.  God help us all.

• Kalamazoo Jambo changed the title to U.S. Politics megathread (title updated)
  • Maple Leaf changed the title to U.S. Politics megathread (merged)