U.S. Politics megathread (merged)

trex

Watt-Zeefuik
18 hours ago, Maple Leaf said:

If Trump  loses the election again, the Republicans will be ready.  The results will simply not be certified in Congress.  What happens after that is anyone's guess.  The chaos after the 2020 election will seems like a walk in the park in comparison.

I think it very much depends on how much he lost by. The margins in 2020 in swing states were close enough that they felt they had enough cover to try to edgelord their way to stay in power and Congressional GOPers went along with it for fear of angering the base. If it's resounding enough that we know by 1 or 2 AM EST who the electoral college winner is, the Congressional GOP is going to say good riddance to the ******* and start the powermongering of figuring out WTF the GOP is going to be in the wake of Trumpism.

One of many reasons it's important for him not just to lose, but lose badly.

• Replies 32.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JFK-1

• Maple Leaf

• Justin Z

• Watt-Zeefuik

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Footballfirst

I've come across this tracker of Trump's claims and actions in speeches, interviews and social media, which gives the reader a good idea of what could happen should he be elected in November.

Warning: It's a long document (50 pages), although the table of contents on pages 3 and 4 gives an indication of the range of subjects covered.

https://www.justsecurity.org/wp-content/uploads/2024/02/autocratic-threat-tracker-2024-just-security.pdf

Edited by Footballfirst

Maple Leaf
58 minutes ago, Footballfirst said:

I've come across this tracker of Trump's claims and actions in speeches, interviews and social media, which gives the reader a good idea of what could happen should he be elected in November.

Warning: It's a long document (50 pages), although the table of contents on pages 3 and 4 gives an indication of the range of subjects covered.

https://www.justsecurity.org/wp-content/uploads/2024/02/autocratic-threat-tracker-2024-just-security.pdf

Be a pal and gie's a summary.  :cheers:

Footballfirst
2 minutes ago, Maple Leaf said:

Be a pal and gie's a summary.  :cheers:

Probably best to read this thread

Watt-Zeefuik

TPM is having a field day, and given the quotes, it's totally justified.

https://talkingpointsmemo.com/where-things-stand/republicans-increasingly-reveal-they-barely-know-where-babies-come-from

image.thumb.png.529d9258823b7d5af820e1e70a10b977.png

Texas Gov. Greg Abbott, for example, was completely tripped up by a question from CNN’s Dana Bash, who simply asked: “Are you saying that families in Texas who are using IVF, have extra embryos that are frozen, do not need to worry?”

“Well so you raise fine questions that are complex, that I simply don’t know the answer to. Let me give you a couple examples and that is, uh, I have no idea mathematically the number of frozen embryos,” he stumbled. “Is it one, 10, 100, 1,000? Things like that matter.

“These are very complex issues where, I’m not sure everybody is really thought about what all the potential problems are and as a result, no one really knows what the potential answers are,”

The waterfall of Republican statements of support for unrestricted IVF have also triggered a wave of news articles pointing out the GOP’s hypocrisy on the issue, specifically the hypocrisy of House Republicans who sponsored or supported the Life at Conception Act, which was introduced in January 2023.

The bill, which is languishing in the House, is sponsored by 125 House Republicans. It defines a “human being” to “include each member of the species homo sapiens at all stages of life, including the moment of fertilization or cloning, or other moment at which an individual member of the human species comes into being.” It also defines the right to life under the 14th Amendment as being for “each born and preborn human person.” It includes no language or provisions for IVF or other forms of reproductive care.

House Speaker Mike Johnson (R-LA), who released his own statement of unequivocal support for IVF, is among the co-sponsors.

Footballfirst

The Supreme Court has agreed to hear Trump's "presidential immunity" claim in the w/c 22 April.

Maple Leaf
4 hours ago, Footballfirst said:

The Supreme Court has agreed to hear Trump's "presidential immunity" claim in the w/c 22 April.

This plays right into Trump's hand:  delay. delay. delay.

This is just one reason you're not going to see Trump in any debate, he's incapable of even speaking coherently.

Trump can barely speak, quickly ends event & leaves stage

Trump struggles to speak at the National Association for Christian Communicators conference, starting his speech late while slurring, appearing confused numerous times, and quickly ending his speech early

Jim_Duncan
5 hours ago, JFK-1 said:

This is just one reason you're not going to see Trump in any debate, he's incapable of even speaking coherently.

Trump struggles to speak at the National Association for Christian Communicators conference, starting his speech late while slurring, appearing confused numerous times, and quickly ending his speech early

Trump in jail yet? No?

Bet that Pakman fella is coining it in from guys clicking his vids, mind.

1 hour ago, Jim_Duncan said:

Trump in jail yet? No?

Bet that Pakman fella is coining it in from guys clicking his vids, mind.

I used to love it when you ate the cake thing, then you could chase the ghosts.. 

I just don't get anyone who thinks  the Americans choice is worth point scoring over.

They're both corrupt .

Ones got previous for racist policies .

Both have stolen ,committed fraud ,betrayed the American taxpayer for their own ends and are frankly not fit for office.

This thread never explores the deeper direction of US politics.

And despite the nonsense posted about Trump being a danger to world peace the opposite is by actions the truth.

When the only answer to an absolute embarrassing presidency of Trump is Biden and the joke embarrassing Biden is Trump.

You would think anyone with half a brain wouldn't take sides.

Here is where we are.

American hegemony not democracy is the power.

You're all just buying into X factor.

il Duce McTarkin
7 minutes ago, Ked said:

I'm buying into crypto.

28 minutes ago, Ked said:

I just don't get anyone who thinks  the Americans choice is worth point scoring over.

They're both corrupt .

Both have stolen ,committed fraud ,betrayed the American taxpayer for their own ends and are frankly not fit for office.

And despite the nonsense posted about Trump being a danger to world peace the opposite is by actions the truth.

When the only answer to an absolute embarrassing presidency of Trump is Biden and the joke embarrassing Biden is Trump.

Here is where we are.

Any proof about Biden's crimes?? And I don't mean from FOX News

il Duce McTarkin
55 minutes ago, Ked said:

Butter option ?

President---Salted-Butter---myPanier-_ma

On toast.

1 hour ago, XB52 said:

Any proof about Biden's crimes?? And I don't mean from FOX News

Fekin Nora.

Na mate just you suck on the butter .

I rest my case

31 minutes ago, il Duce McTarkin said:

President---Salted-Butter---myPanier-_ma

On toast.

Can't put a better bit of butter on yer knife

JudyJudyJudy
17 hours ago, JFK-1 said:

He’s more articulate that sleepy Joe 

JudyJudyJudy
2 hours ago, Ked said:

They're both corrupt .

Here is where we are.

Good posting 

Watt-Zeefuik
3 hours ago, Ked said:

They're both corrupt .

Here is where we are.

Mate the main source of "Biden's crimes" was just unmasked as a Putin operative. Trump is trying to end democracy in the US. (This isn't me overreacting, it's what he's saying in his speeches.)

"Both sides are bad" seems like a kind of safe, cynical place to stand but it's a choice between a ho-hum option and a guy ready to end US democracy as we know it for his own personal gain. Give me the ****ing ho hum option every day of the week.

Maple Leaf
58 minutes ago, Watt-Zeefuik said:

Mate the main source of "Biden's crimes" was just unmasked as a Putin operative. Trump is trying to end democracy in the US. (This isn't me overreacting, it's what he's saying in his speeches.)

"Both sides are bad" seems like a kind of safe, cynical place to stand but it's a choice between a ho-hum option and a guy ready to end US democracy as we know it for his own personal gain. Give me the ****ing ho hum option every day of the week.

Good posting.  :wink:

Ulysses
1 hour ago, Watt-Zeefuik said:

Ked isn't aware of those stories, as they weren't covered by the DDM. ;) 

Ulysses
2 minutes ago, Ulysses said:

Ked isn't aware of those stories, as they weren't covered by the DDM. ;) 

I've just remembered that DDM is a bit Eurocentric.  Americans might use a term like AFM, or MUM, but I'm not sure.  :unsure: 

8 hours ago, Ked said:

Fekin Nora.

Na mate just you suck on the butter .

I rest my case

Any proof?? 

JudyJudyJudy
7 hours ago, Ulysses said:

:rofl: 

IMG_7387.gif

Lone Striker

A message from Daddy  from beyond the grave.  in these difficult times for the ex-President .

(What's that you say ?  Fake news ?)  😜

Jim_Duncan
22 minutes ago, Lone Striker said:

A message from Daddy  from beyond the grave.  in these difficult times for the ex-President .

I think Donald is as much of a dick as anyone else (well, perhaps apart from Bad Back Jack on this thread), but that's in incredibly poor taste, IMO.

Bigsmak
12 hours ago, JudyJudyJudy said:

He’s more articulate that sleepy Joe 

hahahahahahahaha

That is nonsense 

JudyJudyJudy
1 hour ago, Jim_Duncan said:

I think Donald is as much of a dick as anyone else (well, perhaps apart from Bad Back Jack on this thread), but that's in incredibly poor taste, IMO.

It really is . Think some quarters are shitting it . Hence going low . 

Maple Leaf
21 minutes ago, JudyJudyJudy said:

It really is . Think some quarters are shitting it . Hence going low . 

That ad was produced by The Lincoln Project.  The people who run the Lincoln Project are all Republicans.  They want a Republican to be President, but not Trump.  I doubt if they're "shitting it".

Ulysses
3 minutes ago, Maple Leaf said:

That ad was produced by The Lincoln Project.  The people who run the Lincoln Project are all Republicans.  They want a Republican to be President, but not Trump.  I doubt if they're "shitting it".

I didn't watch it.  Was it actually in bad taste, or is it just another case of people crying like toddlers because of someone else's slightly sharp sense of humour?

Ron Burgundy
8 minutes ago, Ulysses said:

I didn't watch it.  Was it actually in bad taste, or is it just another case of people crying like toddlers because of someone else's slightly sharp sense of humour?

If you think making an ad showing a dead man talking about his son like he's a piece of shit and an embarrassment is in poor taste then yeh probably.

It's America though. Anything goes. Previous president was a nutjob and the current incumbent is an incoherent child sniffing zombie.

It's a circus. And you get to vote for one or the other. Some choice.

JudyJudyJudy
17 minutes ago, Ron Burgundy said:

If you think making an ad showing a dead man talking about his son like he's a piece of shit and an embarrassment is in poor taste then yeh probably.

It's America though. Anything goes. Previous president was a nutjob and the current incumbent is an incoherent child sniffing zombie.

This 

Ulysses
10 minutes ago, Ron Burgundy said:

In that case the video is probably a very good example of something I've said more than once about conservatives. Even the "moderate" ones are ****s.

As for the choice facing the voters?

One candidate is an old man with a speech impediment who has been a moderately successful President. 

The other candidate tried to overthrow the American government, and is Russia's best hope of destabilising Eastern Europe and NATO.

It's just such a pity American voters don't have some method of figuring out which of those is worse.

Ulysses
7 minutes ago, JudyJudyJudy said:

This 

Like I said, even moderate conservatives are ****s.

Edited by Ulysses

Ron Burgundy
6 minutes ago, Ulysses said:

In that case the video is probably a very good example of something I've said more than once about conservatives. Even the "moderate" ones are ****s.

As for the choice facing the voters?

One candidate is an old man with a speech impediment who has been a moderately successful President. 

The other candidate tried to overthrow the American government, and is Russia's best hope of destabilising Eastern Europe and NATO.

It's just such a pity American voters don't have some method of figuring out which of those is worse.

You have seen the videos of him acting very strangely around children? 

I know it's anyone but Trump but ffs.

Maple Leaf
1 hour ago, Ulysses said:

It's supposedly Trump's father, and he makes numerous disparaging remarks about his son.  It's not intended to be humorous; it's meant to be belittling, and it is.

All's fair in love, war, and politics and when it comes to disparaging or belittling remarks, Donald Trump doesn't take a back seat to anyone.

Ulysses
21 minutes ago, Ron Burgundy said:

I know it's anyone but Trump but ffs.

The office is President of the United States. The choice is between someone who has demonstrated disloyalty to the United States and someone who hasn't.  Not being loyal to the country you want to govern is, in my far from humble opinion, a bit of a no-no.  It'd be nice if voters had a different set of options, but they don't. 

I've seen articles about fake videos of Biden and children (or it might be one child) but I haven't seen the fake videos themselves, because I wouldn't waste my time watching them.  I haven't seen any real ones either.

Ulysses
2 minutes ago, Maple Leaf said:

It's supposedly Trump's father, and he makes numerous disparaging remarks about his son.  It's not intended to be humorous; it's meant to be belittling, and it is.

All's fair in love, war, and politics and when it comes to disparaging or belittling remarks, Donald Trump doesn't take a back seat to anyone.

It's a pity.  Some of their stuff is good, and the main reason for that is that they usually let the facts do the work.

Funny, though.  Conservatives are really good at dishing out stuff like that, but they throw a right wobbler when someone else does the same - in this case, different conservatives.  Snowflakes, eh?

Lone Striker
3 hours ago, Maple Leaf said:

Correct.   

Trump has no loyalty to any political party - not even the one he's the leader of.   If they hadn't endorsed him as candidate, he'd probably have thrown another  tantrum and bad-mouthed the whole party - he's already bad-mouthed most of his  2016-20 cabinet  and several Rep senators for not being  supportive  enough (or at all) about his crazy claims of the election being "stolen".  All Trump cares about is Trump.   

imo,  he's much more dangerous this time if he wins, due to his anger about everything - well, apart from Putin obviously.

Watt-Zeefuik
6 hours ago, Lone Striker said:

Worth mentioning the Daddy was famously a bit of a real estate con man himself, so much so that he was the namesake of a schiester in a Twilight Zone episode about a snake oil salesman.

3 hours ago, Ron Burgundy said:

I mean in 2016 Trump mocked the disability of a reporter, bragged about repeatedly sexually assaulting women, and fomented violence at his rallies and people still voted for him. I'm sympathetic to wanting politics to adhere to a higher discourse but I'm pretty limited in my sympathy for the man who dragged politics into the deepest shithole in the first place.

6 hours ago, Ron Burgundy said:

It's America though. Anything goes.

He is a piece of shit and an embarassment. Financial fraudster on a  massive scale, total moron, serial rapist, gram em by the pussy Trump, insurrectionist, guilty of espionage to name just a few of his crimes.

Unless you think that's normal non piece of shit behaviour of course. What is it you admire about Trump? I can't think of a single redeeming feature. 

No, can you show me?

Dawnrazor

Creepy as **** isn't he🤬

i wish jj was my dad
6 hours ago, Maple Leaf said:

It's pretty low to be fair but it's pretty rich for the most narcissistic of shite chucking bigots to start complaining about cheap shots when he wrote the book on it.