U.S. Politics megathread (merged)

trex

Watt-Zeefuik

Sen. Britt, who delivered the GOP response to the State of the Union, was already being mocked for her "weird mom in the kitchen telling lurid sex crime stories" vibe.

Now it turns out that the (truly tragic and horrific) sex trafficking story told to her by a survivor that she used to attack Biden's immigration policy happened entirely in Mexico and had nothing to do with immigration.

• Replies 32.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JFK-1

• Maple Leaf

• Justin Z

• Watt-Zeefuik

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Maple Leaf
7 hours ago, JFK-1 said:

So E. Jean Carroll is going be even richer, how much do they need to fine him before it sinks in. He defamed her again last night.

Is there any further proof needed that Trump is not very bright?

Maple Leaf
17 minutes ago, Watt-Zeefuik said:

Sen. Britt, who delivered the GOP response to the State of the Union, was already being mocked for her "weird mom in the kitchen telling lurid sex crime stories" vibe.

Now it turns out that the (truly tragic and horrific) sex trafficking story told to her by a survivor that she used to attack Biden's immigration policy happened entirely in Mexico and had nothing to do with immigration.

Another person to add to the growing list of sleazy people in the GOP.

Watt-Zeefuik
34 minutes ago, Maple Leaf said:

Whatever his mental faculties, he is clearly allergic to the idea that he has to follow anyone else's rules, particularly ones put on him by women or non-white people.

Canscot

Trumpet, Poutine, Orban, China and North Korea. 
The New World Order!  IF Trumpet gets elected. Trump will run the Americas. Poutine will run Europe. China will run the Far East.  
All lining their own pockets. 

Watt-Zeefuik

Rep. Ken Buck of Colorado, who had already announced he would not run for re-election, has announced he will retire from Congress in 1 week.

With that, the GOP majority is down to 2 seats until special elections are held.

henrysmithsgloves
On 11/03/2024 at 12:52, Maple Leaf said:

There was me thinking politicians were bad here, whole different level over there🤣

On 11/03/2024 at 07:52, Maple Leaf said:

I don't think it's calculated, I don't think he went out there intending to say all that. He simply has the impulse control of a toddler, in short almost none. Everybody must know that yet tens of millions want to put that in charge of a nation? A feckin' toddler.

If we ever get out of this mess historians and sociologists are going to be puzzling over it for centuries. It's like a voluntary national mental breakdown that could have global and even apocalyptic consequences.

Does it really surprise anybody that yet another attempted slur of Biden is exposed as bias, misleading, and entirely untrue. For just one thing Hur's report on Biden implied memory issues, said Biden couldn't remember when his son had died. That's pants on fire untrue.

A full transcript of the interview has been published which exposes this guy of having committed not just obvious bias in that report but outright lying by omission.

MSNBC’s Lawrence O’Donnell describes how Special Counsel Robert Hur’s report on Biden’s handling of classified documents failed to “identify a single thing Joe Biden did that anyone has ever been prosecuted for” and was “not accurate in its description of Joe Biden as an elderly man with unusual memory problems.”

7 hours ago, JFK-1 said:

I don't think it's calculated, I don't think he went out there intending to say all that. He simply has the impulse control of a toddler, in short almost none. Everybody must know that yet tens of millions want to put that in charge of a nation? A feckin' toddler.

If we ever get out of this mess historians and sociologists are going to be puzzling over it for centuries. It's like a voluntary national mental breakdown that could have global and even apocalyptic consequences.

The collective mental breakdown of the USA goes back to 9/11

That's when it all went coco loco

Watt-Zeefuik
11 hours ago, henrysmithsgloves said:

There was me thinking politicians were bad here, whole different level over there🤣

I will continue to say that Trump has a particular kind of brilliance when it comes to managing the narrative. It's how he's gotten the whole GOP in a chokehold. He learned it running his confidence scams and then on his reality TV game show.

You can say anyone could do that, but apparently no one at Kensington Palace has much of a clue of how to do it . . .

henrysmithsgloves
Just now, Watt-Zeefuik said:

I will continue to say that Trump has a particular kind of brilliance when it comes to managing the narrative. It's how he's gotten the whole GOP in a chokehold. He learned it running his confidence scams and then on his reality TV game show.

You can say anyone could do that, but apparently no one at Kensington Palace has much of a clue of how to do it . . .

True, trump does take it to a whole different level 🤣

Canscot

So. According to Trump Facebook is an “Enemy of the people!”. 
Is it possible Elon Musk told him to GTF for requesting political funding last week?

Just wondering out loud. 

Jim_Duncan
1 minute ago, Canscot said:

Is it possible Elon Musk told him to GTF for requesting political funding last week?

Just wondering out loud. 

Sometimes it's better to do one's wonderings quietly ;)

Jim_Duncan
8 hours ago, Watt-Zeefuik said:

Doubling down on lies and just saying whatever he wants could have backfired massively. American politics wasn't ready for it in 2016, and he's managed to make it seem normal. Quite impressive, if very depressing.

Watt-Zeefuik
24 minutes ago, Canscot said:

Just wondering out loud. 

Apparently Trump has been asking him if he wants to buy Truth Social.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/trump-asked-elon-musk-if-he-wanted-to-buy-truth-social/ar-BB1jKtxD

I mean selling the richest man in the world a worthless asset is one way to raise money I guess . . .

You can say Musk would never fall for that but look what he paid for (then did to) Twitter.

Edited by Watt-Zeefuik

Ulysses
4 minutes ago, Watt-Zeefuik said:

I mean selling the richest man in the world a worthless asset is one way to raise money I guess . . .

Buying a worthless asset is a good way to fund someone without breaking any rules.  The money spent is probably tax-deductible as well.  And of course, Musk's a prick.  And now he's met Trump.

So there you have it - motive, means, and opportunity.  :whistling: 

Canscot
37 minutes ago, Watt-Zeefuik said:

Apparently Trump has been asking him if he wants to buy Truth Social.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/trump-asked-elon-musk-if-he-wanted-to-buy-truth-social/ar-BB1jKtxD

You can say Musk would never fall for that but look what he paid for (then did to) Twitter.

Funny you should say that about him trying to sell Truth Social. I said the exact same thing to my wife not 10 mins ago😂😂

Watt-Zeefuik
1 hour ago, Ulysses said:

Buying a worthless asset is a good way to fund someone without breaking any rules.  The money spent is probably tax-deductible as well.  And of course, Musk's a prick.  And now he's met Trump.

So there you have it - motive, means, and opportunity.  :whistling: 

It's a good thing they've legalized gay sex in Florida, or else they could have been arrested when they shook hands because a prick touched an arsehole.

Edited by Watt-Zeefuik

Watt-Zeefuik

In a truly wacky coincidence, it turns out that the FBI informant that was the prime source for most of the supposed crimes by the Biden family was being paid hundreds of thousands of dollars by business associates of Donald Trump.

Just goes to show what a small world it is! Random, eh?

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2024/mar/14/company-paying-fbi-informant-trump-connections

Edited by Watt-Zeefuik

Maple Leaf
1 hour ago, Watt-Zeefuik said:

In a truly wacky coincidence, it turns out that the FBI informant that was the prime source for most of the supposed crimes by the Biden family was being paid hundreds of thousands of dollars by business associates of Donald Trump.

Just goes to show what a small world it is! Random, eh?

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2024/mar/14/company-paying-fbi-informant-trump-connections

Fortunately, Trump is above that sort of behavior.  :whistling:

Maple Leaf

Can we safely assume that Michelle Obama will not be the Democratic nominee?

At least one Jambo on JKB will be disappointed.  :wink:

Footballfirst

The scheduled Trump criminal trial in the hush money case, which was due to start on March 25, will be delayed by at least 30 days after the disclosure of new documents. Trump's lawyers have asked for 90 days. Judge to decide new schedule.

Edited by Footballfirst

Bigsmak
4 hours ago, Maple Leaf said:

What happens if Biden dies between now and the vote? 

Ulysses
9 minutes ago, Bigsmak said:

AFAIK, the DNC meets to nominate a replacement.  I don't know if there's a time limit for that to happen, e.g. if a candidate were to die after early voting had commenced.

Lovecraft
5 hours ago, Maple Leaf said:

But we wir garanteeed?

Surely the US media doesn't lie to gullible people?

Watt-Zeefuik
36 minutes ago, Maple Leaf said:

Is there no limit to the number of wackos in the Republican party?  This one called for the public execution of Obama and Biden.  :conf11:

https://www.cnn.com/2024/03/14/politics/kfile-gop-nominee-north-carolina-public-schools-michele-morrow-executing-democrats/index.html

She's the wackiest, but you should see our gubernatorial nominee as well, Mark Robinson. A serious piece of work.

God help us if we can't beat them in November.

6 hours ago, Maple Leaf said:

The bookies still have her at +1000 I think. For his sake I hope Masonic sold late last year when the odds narrowed. She has yet again said before her book release that she doesn't want to be President and that she really dislikes electoral politics.

2 hours ago, Bigsmak said:

AFAIK, the DNC meets to nominate a replacement.  I don't know if there's a time limit for that to happen, e.g. if a candidate were to die after early voting had commenced.

It depends on when it happens. If he died this week, there's a chance another candidate or candidates could rush their names onto the remaining primary ballots and at least get some number of delegates before the convention.

If it happens after the primaries but before the convention, it will still be Biden's designated delegates at the convention, and my guess is they'd do an in memorium vote for Biden on the first ballot and then all hell would break loose and there'd be a mad scramble for delegates. The two names which are at the top of everyone who's actually serious about this are Gavin Newsome and Gretchen Whitmer, governors of California and Michigan, respectively, although it would be hard to look past Kamala Harris, despite her limitations.

If it happens after the convention there are all sorts of arcane methods by which one could be replaced but it also depends on the ballot deadlines per state, as some would still have Biden's name on them depending o how close to the election it happens. In all likelihood if it happens in September or October, the DNC says that Harris is the nominee (because by federal law she's the only one who can access the Biden-Harris campaign funds chest) regardless of whether Biden's name is still on the ballot.

If it happens after the election but before inauguration, Harris is the President-elect (in addition to being the President as soon as it happens).

21 minutes ago, Maple Leaf said:

Is there no limit to the number of wackos in the Republican party?  This one called for the public execution of Obama and Biden.  :conf11:

https://www.cnn.com/2024/03/14/politics/kfile-gop-nominee-north-carolina-public-schools-michele-morrow-executing-democrats/index.html

Why not, Trump himself implied general Mark Milley who was chief of staff of the army during Trumps tenure should be executed.

Milley had written a letter of resignation following the St Johns church incident when Trump had protestors attacked and routed by riot cops using tear gas which sickened him, because this was outrageous.

And keep in mind this was also the same episode when Trump had raised shooting people in the legs. What else does this guy need to do to prove he's a 100% Putin wannabe. Aside from just saying it, day one dictator and all.

Trump wanted them to shoot people so he could get a photo holding a bible in front of the church, think about that. A photo holding his favourite book but don't ask him for a favourite quote. But anyway it's so important to the nation shoot anybody in the way of my photo.

Milley decided to keep the resignation letter and stay because after thinking more about it he became concerned about who he may be replaced by and how they would handle the obvious derangement of Trump.

It was Milley who calmed Chinese fears of Trump launching an attack on them prior to leaving office, or while trying not to leave office. Trump said that was treason and Milley should be executed.

Milley would be high up on Trumps openly stated retribution list, he has already expressed concerns for his family as well as himself if Trump were in office. I was thinking if that were the case he might go to Canada. 

Ulysses
9 hours ago, Watt-Zeefuik said:

She's the wackiest, but you should see our gubernatorial nominee as well, Mark Robinson. A serious piece of work.

God help us if we can't beat them in November.

The bookies still have her at +1000 I think. For his sake I hope Masonic sold late last year when the odds narrowed. She has yet again said before her book release that she doesn't want to be President and that she really dislikes electoral politics.

It depends on when it happens. If he died this week, there's a chance another candidate or candidates could rush their names onto the remaining primary ballots and at least get some number of delegates before the convention.

If it happens after the primaries but before the convention, it will still be Biden's designated delegates at the convention, and my guess is they'd do an in memorium vote for Biden on the first ballot and then all hell would break loose and there'd be a mad scramble for delegates. The two names which are at the top of everyone who's actually serious about this are Gavin Newsome and Gretchen Whitmer, governors of California and Michigan, respectively, although it would be hard to look past Kamala Harris, despite her limitations.

If it happens after the convention there are all sorts of arcane methods by which one could be replaced but it also depends on the ballot deadlines per state, as some would still have Biden's name on them depending o how close to the election it happens. In all likelihood if it happens in September or October, the DNC says that Harris is the nominee (because by federal law she's the only one who can access the Biden-Harris campaign funds chest) regardless of whether Biden's name is still on the ballot.

If it happens after the election but before inauguration, Harris is the President-elect (in addition to being the President as soon as it happens).

There's about a 1 in 20 chance of something like this happening.  There's also a similar probability of it happening in the case of the Republican candidate.  It'd be quite the plot twist. :laugh: :eek:

Watt-Zeefuik

There's about a 1 in 20 chance of something like this happening.  There's also a similar probability of it happening in the case of the Republican candidate.  It'd be quite the plot twist. :laugh: :eek:

I wondered if you were just pulling that number out of your arse and looked it up, and sure enough, age-specific mortality for men around 80 years old in the US is around 5%.

Now being wealthy (and despite a fairly large wealth gap between the two they both count as wealthy) and with access to the best health care, that's probably lower. In any normal hospital Trump probably doesn't survive his severe COVID bout at the end of 2020.

I'd put it more around 2% for each side because of that. But who knows, running for President is an exhausting job.

Bindy Badgy
33 minutes ago, Watt-Zeefuik said:

I wondered if you were just pulling that number out of your arse and looked it up, and sure enough, age-specific mortality for men around 80 years old in the US is around 5%.

Now being wealthy (and despite a fairly large wealth gap between the two they both count as wealthy) and with access to the best health care, that's probably lower. In any normal hospital Trump probably doesn't survive his severe COVID bout at the end of 2020.

I'd put it more around 2% for each side because of that. But who knows, running for President is an exhausting job.

I'd put the probability significantly higher for Trump as he treats his body like shit and all the court cases against him have got to be stressful.

The pressure of all the court cases will get to Trump.

He's already increasingly incoherent.

He's heading for a heart attack or stroke soon.

Jim_Duncan
49 minutes ago, Cade said:

The pressure of all the court cases will get to Trump.

He's already increasingly incoherent.

He's heading for a heart attack or stroke soon.

There's plenty would still vote for him if he were dead :( 

Ulysses
13 hours ago, Watt-Zeefuik said:

I wondered if you were just pulling that number out of your arse...

Why would you even let yourself be seen to consider such an outlandish notion? :laugh:

The figure is based on the latest Life Tables for the United States. 

But as you correctly point out, Presidential candidates are not representative of the health and life expectancy of average Americans. I'm not sure I'd go so far as to use a risk factor of 2%, but I might go for something between 3 and 3.5.  On age grounds alone Biden is the higher risk, but he's in far better physical condition than Burgerface, so I'd say their "cardiovascular ages" are very close to each other.

Ulysses
11 hours ago, Jim_Duncan said:

There's plenty would still vote for him if he were dead :( 

I'd fly to the States and crawl on my hands and knees on broken glass to register to vote if the poxy **** would just meet me half way by dying. :laugh:

Maple Leaf
44 minutes ago, Ulysses said:

I'd fly to the States and crawl on my hands and knees on broken glass to register to vote if the poxy **** would just meet me half way by dying. :laugh:

An exquisite turn of phrase!!!!

:rofl:

Jim_Duncan
8 hours ago, Ulysses said:

From the NYT, 11.04.24:

Having been convicted for the crime of assassinating the former American president and failed business tycoon, the man, known to many simply as 'Ulysses', told jurors that his only regret was not being able to run Secret Santa 2024. 

On 13/03/2024 at 07:37, Cade said:

The collective mental breakdown of the USA goes back to 9/11

That's when it all went coco loco

I think the election of Obama was what drove them over the edge, a black man in the Whitehouse. They cranked their obstructionism up a notch trying to ruin anything productive he might do, they didn't care about the country at all and they don't right now.

Th election of Obama and the right wing meltdown around it led directly to the in your face racism racism of Trump and the mobs he enabled. Elect a black man would you, take that, an orange man everybody knew was a sex pest right from the off, we have the tape.

This is an interesting point, the media are largely ignoring Trump and his dumb rallies which I think they were even encouraged to do after the mass coverage he got for 2016. Personally I largely ignore him because I find him boring as hell, it baffles me that anybody finds him remotely entertaining. Even when he's trying to be funny it's cringe inducing.

But at the end of the day I suppose somebody has to keep a watch on it and it might be the case that if these rallies were covered more it could be detrimental to Trump. Susan Glasser is a staff writer for The New Yorker who recently watched one of his rallies she said went on for 1 hour and 55 minutes.

I'm thinking what can Trump talk about for that long? He can't talk about policy aside from little more than a slogan, he apparently incoherently rambles all over the place from tangent to tangent. She says anybody watching this would instantly recognise this is an elderly man in the process of major cognitive decline right in front of our eyes.

It's another one of those bizarre things where they try to paint Biden as being Trump, the same Biden who actually did talk on policy and more for over an hour even while being heckled. Here's a quote from Susan Glasser after watching Trump.

"Small clips of his craziness can be too easily dismissed as the background noise of our times, watch his speeches, share them widely, don't look away"

You need to see how much worse Trump is now: Glasser

For most Americans, the best way to deal with Donald Trump is to ignore him, starve him of the attention he craves. But after watching a recent two-hour Trump rally speech, Susan Glasser, staff writer for The New Yorker, cautions that ignoring Trump gives him the benefit of people not noticing that he is darker, more deranged and more diminished than ever.

redjambo
On 16/03/2024 at 10:12, Jim_Duncan said:

From the NYT, 11.04.24:

Having been convicted for the crime of assassinating the former American president and failed business tycoon, the man, known to many simply as 'Ulysses', told jurors that his only regret was not being able to run Secret Santa 2024. 

:D

Ulysses
On 16/03/2024 at 10:12, Jim_Duncan said:

From the NYT, 11.04.24:

:smiliz19:

Lone Striker

Its clear that Trump is  deranged & desperate ..... but increasingly dangerous too

He has now claimed   there will  be a "bloodbath" if he isn't elected   😱

Music to the ears of the Proud Boys and other armed nutjob warriors

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/donald-trump/trump-bloodbath-loses-election-2024-rcna143746

.... and he continues to praise evil  dictators of the world too.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/opinion/trump-keeps-praising-dictators-like-hitler-and-kim-jong-un-will-republicans-ever-care/ar-BB1k2e5X?cvid=b714dabdcc1f4005b4c2736bed9ee4f6&ei=10

redjambo
1 hour ago, Lone Striker said:

Its clear that Trump is  deranged & desperate ..... but increasingly dangerous too

He has now claimed   there will  be a "bloodbath" if he isn't elected   😱

Music to the ears of the Proud Boys and other armed nutjob warriors

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/donald-trump/trump-bloodbath-loses-election-2024-rcna143746

.... and he continues to praise evil  dictators of the world too.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/opinion/trump-keeps-praising-dictators-like-hitler-and-kim-jong-un-will-republicans-ever-care/ar-BB1k2e5X?cvid=b714dabdcc1f4005b4c2736bed9ee4f6&ei=10

Sorry for invoking Godwin's Law (as opposed to Goodwin's Law which is "every jump for the ball deserves an elbow in the head"), but you can easily see how Hitler rose to power. We the people are so fecking gullible it's frightening.

Maple Leaf
28 minutes ago, redjambo said:

Sorry for invoking Godwin's Law (as opposed to Goodwin's Law which is "every jump for the ball deserves an elbow in the head"), but you can easily see how Hitler rose to power. We the people are so fecking gullible it's frightening.

It should not be forgotten that there is a percentage of the American population who would be quite happen to see the USA becoming a Christian dictatorship or even a Christian theocracy.

Christian Evangelicals are about 25% of the total population.  And these people will vote for Trump, mainly because of what he's achieved with stacking the Supreme Court.

Lone Striker
31 minutes ago, redjambo said:

Indeed.  Far-right "populist" nutters who use democratic means to gain power tend to be non-conformists  - add in some Pied Piper weird type of charm plus some "woke" bogey-men for everyone to blame for the country's ills, and you've got the ingredients to win over  hard-of-thinking voters.     Fortunately there's quite a few of us deep thinkers 😎 on JKB to see through the Johnsons and Trumps of this world - but you only  have to watch some of the videos of Trump supporters in the US being asked why they vote for him to see the gullibility in action..

As you say, frightening stuff.   

On 12/03/2024 at 15:28, Canscot said:

Trumpet, Poutine, Orban, China and North Korea. 
The New World Order!  IF Trumpet gets elected. Trump will run the Americas. Poutine will run Europe. China will run the Far East.  
All lining their own pockets. 

Its  George Orwell's   Nineteen Eighty Four outcome.  3 super-continents permanently at war, as a means of  keeping the population focused on  serving their  "side"   with unquestioning obedience.   Meanwhile the 3 leaders enjoy the spectacle, far removed from the battle, living in their own safe bubble.

Orwell was a genius.