Pat Stanton (loyal hibby) - Scottish Cup woes

Craigieboy

The Old Tolbooth
Not funny at all, if you learn how to digest the written word, I stated I was going back to when I started watching football. By the way, stupid childlike name calling, says far more about you than it ever will about me.

Oooooh, hark at her! :107years:

• Replies 258
  • Created
  • Last Reply
What does he say about the half time entertainment at his testimonial? Or does he gloss over that? :rolleyes:

Have you ever met the guy, are you aware that he is good friends with some of the great Hearts players and is well respected thoughout Scotland, I

dout it! as for you going on about the half time entertaintment Robbo's bar is in Edinburgh!

9/10 your posts are nonsense.

PresidentRomanov
My understanding about this particular incident was that PS was unaware of the content of this part of his testimonial arrangements and he was angry and p***** off about the whole thing.

Somebody on the Testimonial organising committee hijacked the event for their own purposes. I have no axe to grind on this, just sharing what I was told at the time and I believe this to be 100% accurate.

Oh I see, Pat knew nothing about the events at his own testimonial game :)

I can't recall him ever saying anything to that effect at the time mind, maybe he didn't want to take the chance of losing his testimonial drinking money :booze:

Does he know what the songs are about,that are sung at the Northern Ireland Hibs Republican Rally, he attends every year, as guest of honour?

And MaroonedInOz - it was his taxi :)

John Findlay
I hate Stanton - vastly over rated.

The only decent thing he did was captain Hapless Hobo FC to a record Scottish Cup Final defeat. :)

There in a couple of sentences is your football knowledge. Non-exsistant.

It is a joint record defeat. A few months later he captained Hibs to a 2-1 victory of Celtic in the league cup. Himself and Jimmy O'Rourke scoring.

A very good footballer and a Hibs man to the core in the same way both Dave MacKay and Gary MacKay are Hearts men to the core.

John

PresidentRomanov
There in a couple of sentences is your football knowledge. Non-exsistant.

It is a joint record defeat. A few months later he captained Hibs to a 2-1 victory of Celtic in the league cup. Himself and Jimmy O'Rourke scoring.

A very good footballer and a Hibs man to the core in the same way both Dave MacKay and Gary MacKay are Hearts men to the core.

John

Is it compulsory for men who are "Hibs to the core", to join Celtic, and participate in their republican ways, at the earliest opportunity?

Pat Stanton, is an old drunk, who played football a long time ago, nothing more.

John Findlay
Is it compulsory for men who are "Hibs to the core", to join Celtic, and participate in their republican ways, at the earliest opportunity?

Pat Stanton, is an old drunk, who played football a long time ago, nothing more.

You like your cohort have a knowledge of football that could be written on the back of a postage stamp with room to spare.

I dont recall Jim Herriot, Jim Black, Eric Schaedler, John Blackley, Alex Edwards, Jimmy O'Rourke, Alan Gordon, Alex Cropley, John Brownlie or Arthur Duncan leaving Hibs and going to Celtic and expressing their dying love for the republican cause. Perharps you could put me right as you seem to know everything about their private lives.

John

PresidentRomanov
You like your cohort have a knowledge of football that could be written on the back of a postage stamp with room to spare.

I dont recall Jim Herriot, Jim Black, Eric Schaedler, John Blackley, Alex Edwards, Jimmy O'Rourke, Alan Gordon, Alex Cropley, John Brownlie or Arthur Duncan leaving Hibs and going to Celtic and expressing their dying love for the republican cause. Perharps you could put me right as you seem to know everything about their private lives.

John

I'm actually a personal friend of Alex Cropley, and I can tell you that he has no time for Hibs whatsoever.

Playing for them was nothing more than a job of work for him, and he too, left at the earliest opportunity :)

I knew Erich Schaedler very well too before he topped himself, and he didn't like Hibs either.

I'm a bit surprised an expert such as yourself didn't know how to spell his name though.

Meanwhile, Patrick Stanton, another who had no time for Hibs, still hangs off the club to this day, in desperation for the odd invite to some republican nights, where he can score a few free bevvies for himself.

John Findlay
I'm actually a personal friend of Alex Cropley, and I can tell you that he has no time for Hibs whatsoever.

Playing for them was nothing more than a job of work for him, and he too, left at the earliest opportunity :)

I knew Erich Schaedler very well too before he topped himself, and he didn't like Hibs either.

I'm a bit surprised an expert such as yourself didn't know how to spell his name though.

Meanwhile, Patrick Stanton, another who had no time for Hibs, still hangs off the club to this day, in desperation for the odd invite to some republican nights, where he can score a few free bevvies for himself.

Of course you do. Another one full of excrement.

John

PresidentRomanov
Of course you do. Another one full of excrement.

John

I thought that would be your reaction to realising I know more than you :)

PickyBum.

John Findlay
I thought that would be your reaction to realising I know more than you :)

PickyBum.

Give me your dates for the comedy festival please. If you are as half as funny on stage as you are on kickback you just may raise a few smiles from a live audience.

John

Nucky Thompson

FFS:rolleyes: It's bad enough Jambos at each others throats over VR, but what's the story with clapped out old Hibs players:cool:

Denny Crane

I've met Pat and found him - like Dave McKay - to be a gent. Had a very plesant conversation with him and although he's a Hibee to the core, he had a lot of time for Hearts.

It seems that one or two are revelling in a darker incident of his past. Not that I'm condoning such an action but he who casts the first stone and all that. Or does hatred govern said persons' lives to such an extend that it dominates their every waking hour.

As for the article mentioned by the OP, I think there were a lot of us before 1998 wishing that we could win something before our own lives expired. He's just going through a similar situation - only I suspect he may have a long wait.

Pat Stanton was a class act at a time when Hearts were utter garbage.

As a boy, I used to go to Easter Road to see a decent game of football, and to Tynecastle because I was a fan. That's how bad things were. The "who was Hearts worst player" thread has brought back many memories of these dark days.

Fortunately, Stanton's team's superiority over us turned out to be an aberration and normal service has long-since been resumed in Edinburgh (most seasons).

And Vlad won't let that change.

Here's a question: who was better, Stanton or Levein?

To be fair, he's a ham shank as well, but he did play The Hearts Song on his last night in charge of the boozer.

Glamorgan Jambo

I can't really forgive Stanton for his 98th minute offside equaliser in the derby at Tynecastle (my first derby) back in 1975/76.

Craig Gordons Gloves
he only talks bout the good times when football was a man's games and how he wishes edinburgh had two teams fighting for trophies all the time and how his career ended

seems like you can't get over the testimonial

i recall previous threads on here about therapist and testimonials....;)

anyway - back to Pat Stanton, my old man - who grew up going to Tynie High and watching the Hearts train before dragging me along to watch us, used to work with Stanton - and Jeffries and he says that Stanton despite his hibs leanings - is a top class guy. And believe me - my dad hates the hibs more than many!!

I think some here are missing the point - he went to celtic for money - not just for him for but his club. Like some of our players in the past. He is stating in an article that he would love to see Hibs win the cup. I dont recall many of us complaining when Hearts players of the past said the same previous to 98.

I love a laugh at the hobos as much as anyone, sometimes more - but to talk about events 20 or 30 years ago as an indication of someones character are just a little extreme dont you think??

It is a joint record defeat.

Whichever way you try to put your pro-hobo spin on it, he still captained them to a record defeat. Fact. :)

And I notice you conveniently omit to address the incidents involving the taxi and his testimonial "entertainment". :rolleyes:

Now, how long will it be before John reverts to type and starts throwing in the personal abuse? :rolleyes:

Therapist

PresidentRomanov
Whichever way you try to put your pro-hobo spin on it, he still captained them to a record defeat. Fact. :)

And I notice you conveniently omit to address the incidents involving the taxi and his testimonial "entertainment". :rolleyes:

Now, how long will it be before John reverts to type and starts throwing in the personal abuse? :rolleyes:

Therapist

He also ommitted the annual Hibernian Republical Rally, in Belfast, he's guest of honour at too :rolleyes:

To be fair though, how many old jakey's do you know, would turn down a chance of free drink all night?

To be fair, he's a ham shank as well, but he did play The Hearts Song on his last night in charge of the boozer.

Was it not the Iona bar he had?

I'm sure the Hearts song would have went down a treat in there...

Was it not the Iona bar he had?

I'm sure the Hearts song would have went down a treat in there...

Correct. ;)

We used to go in there sometimes before we played at the San Giro too.

Colonel Kurtz

Met pat a few times when he worked for BT and when he had the boozer under the bridge at the bottom of the high street.

One thing strikes me with both him and Pressley is that you could put him against the whole bunch of baby bigots on here,and he would walk out unscathed.

The Huns have got their mad dogs and we are stuck with slightly annoyed puppies.

you could put him against the whole bunch of baby bigots on here,and he would walk out unscathed.

You talking about fisticuffs? :eek: If so I'm disappointed you've dragged the conversation down to this level. :sad:

PresidentRomanov
Met pat a few times when he worked for BT and when he had the boozer under the bridge at the bottom of the high street.

One thing strikes me with both him and Pressley is that you could put him against the whole bunch of baby bigots on here,and he would walk out unscathed.

The Huns have got their mad dogs and we are stuck with slightly annoyed puppies.

They must be nearly as hard as you then Colonel :rolleyes:

Colonel Kurtz
You talking about fisticuffs? :eek: If so I'm disappointed you've dragged the conversation down to this level. :sad:

You might eventually learn that you pitch your material to suit your audience.

Kneecapped anybody at the Gyle lately.

Colonel Kurtz
They must be nearly as hard as you then Colonel :rolleyes:

They?

Nae wonder Schaedler topped himself ,if you were one of his mates ,he must have been bored to death

No time for O'Rourke at all.

Then you obviously know nothing about the finest Hearts player of my generation, John Robertson, who claimed to have learned a great deal from that player, including the need to strike the ball early.

I can't really forgive Stanton for his 98th minute offside equaliser in the derby at Tynecastle (my first derby) back in 1975/76.

Even the worst Hibs player couldn't be offside at a corner.

Not Stanton's fault that the ref added so much time.

Better to remember that game for Ralph Callachan's super-strike, one of the best goals against the Hibs.

Colonel Kurtz
Then you obviously know nothing about the finest Hearts player of my generation, John Robertson, who claimed to have learned a great deal from that player, including the need to strike the ball early.

Better to remember that game for Ralph Callachan's super-strike, one of the best goals against the Hibs.

dont think it was from a corner ,free kick if I recall and it was 95 minutes and offside.

willie wallace

I Know it was along time ago but i don't remember the cross for his goal coming from a corner.I thought he was offside.

Not talking about the man's ability as a footballer. I trust JR purports himself in his private life with a greater deal of decorum than the person we are referring to. Something you obviously know nothing about, and why should you?

Guest Dipped Flake

Carins was the bar under the bridge, was my local when I worked at the brewery. Stanton was always a gent even though I hatred him for his late late late headed equaliser against us in the 70s. At that point had supported Hearts for 10 years and had never seen them beat the Hibs. And please can we stop feeding our loyalist trolls on here, just ignore them...

Guest Dipped Flake
I Know it was along time ago but i don't remember the cross for his goal coming from a corner.I thought he was offside.

Sure it was a corner, taken from the shed corner flag.........could be wrong though, was 30 odd years ago

Colonel Kurtz
Sure it was a corner, taken from the shed corner flag.........could be wrong though, was 30 odd years ago

Wrong end mate,I was behind the goals in the schoolend,and was it not wee Park who scored for us with a scuffed shot.

I think Callachans goal was another game.

But as you say 30 years ago

Colonel Kurtz
Not talking about the man's ability as a footballer. I trust JR purports himself in his private life with a greater deal of decorum than the person we are referring to. Something you obviously know nothing about, and why should you?

Seen wee o Rourke in a good few boozers,he was in the main harmless and cracking jokes.

He took a bet from me once after the off which won so ill cut him some slack

Wrong end mate,I was behind the goals in the schoolend,and was it not wee Park who scored for us with a scuffed shot.

I think Callachans goal was another game.

But as you say 30 years ago

I remember it as a school end corner taken from the right wing (stand-side) in the 95th minute, and Hearts goal was definitely a Callachan screamer.

Park's scuffed goal, also at school end, was a soaking wet New Year Derby in the early eighties (84?) and Hibs (Willie Jamieson?) equalised almost immediately. Then at the end of the game there was a crush at the Gorgie Road (away) end and a barrier broke fortunately to no serious effect.

Colonel Kurtz
I remember it as a school end corner taken from the right wing (stand-side) in the 95th minute, and Hearts goal was definitely a Callachan screamer.

Park's scuffed goal, also at school end, was a soaking wet New Year Derby in the early eighties (84?) and Hibs (Willie Jamieson?) equalised almost immediately. Then at the end of the game there was a crush at the Gorgie Road (away) end and a barrier broke fortunately to no serious effect.

nah you must have been bevvied mate.

The goals are actually on HW ,both in the Gorgie Road End Park and Stanton

Glamorgan Jambo

You're right it was a Callachan screamer (Gorgie End) and that Stanton scored with a header at the school end. I'm currently in the US but when i get home and get a minute I'll dig out the back to the brink video which I think shows it as a free kick. I've got to say I wasn't in line (the line would have been the few yards separating us and the green monkeys - pre segregation).

It's still one of the most gutted feelings I've had at a game... there was a widespread consensus amongst my dad and his mates that the goal was offside.

Guest Dipped Flake
You're right it was a Callachan screamer (Gorgie End) and that Stanton scored with a header at the school end. I'm currently in the US but when i get home and get a minute I'll dig out the back to the brink video which I think shows it as a free kick. I've got to say I wasn't in line (the line would have been the few yards separating us and the green monkeys - pre segregation).

It's still one of the most gutted feelings I've had at a game... there was a widespread consensus amongst my dad and his mates that the goal was offside.

was certain it was the school end too. Also agree it was one of the worst moments in my football life when that goal went in......made it all the worse when I got to know the guy and found him to be a good guy, really wanted him to be a ****.

judetheobscure
Oh I see, Pat knew nothing about the events at his own testimonial game :)

I can't recall him ever saying anything to that effect at the time mind, maybe he didn't want to take the chance of losing his testimonial drinking money :booze:

Does he know what the songs are about,that are sung at the Northern Ireland Hibs Republican Rally, he attends every year, as guest of honour?

And MaroonedInOz - it was his taxi :)

There is a Northern Ireland Hibs Supporters function which honours an Hibernian legend every year. Can't say I have heard about this particular do, got a link to it?

(Maybe it only exists inside your mind?)

All comments about his personal life are bang out of order and actually say more about the posters than Pat Stanton...

Try getting a backbone and standing up to Vladimir Romanov rather than slandering a nice normal guy who happened to be ***** hot at football and cares about the club he played for and supported since boyhood..

More than can be said for that Lithuanian fudd !!:mad:

Colonel Kurtz
was certain it was the school end too. Also agree it was one of the worst moments in my football life when that goal went in......made it all the worse when I got to know the guy and found him to be a good guy, really wanted him to be a ****.

Ive been talking about a different game.

This one was 78,in the summer

Wee park scored for us early doors then we got a man sent off might have been parky himself.

They equalised very late with a header form I think Stanton from a free kick .

There is a Northern Ireland Hibs Supporters function which honours an Hibernian legend every year. Can't say I have heard about this particular do, got a link to it?

(Maybe it only exists inside your mind?)

you've never heard of it so it can't be true

try google, it's not too difficult to find

then again, maybe google's making it up

or are you just another tympathiser

Ive been talking about a different game.

This one was 78,in the summer

Wee park scored for us early doors then we got a man sent off might have been parky himself.

They equalised very late with a header form I think Stanton from a free kick .

no, the game you're thinking about was fat macleod scoring

RC scored in the fat pat game

I'm actually a personal friend of Alex Cropley, and I can tell you that he has no time for Hibs whatsoever.[/size]

All utter bull sh it by the way !!

Colonel Kurtz
no, the game you're thinking about was fat macleod scoring

RC scored in the fat pat game

christ an RC scored for Hearts ,Slightly Angry Puppy and the 3 rd Battallion of the Gyle Volunteer Force will no like that

you've never heard of it so it can't be true

try google, it's not too difficult to find

then again, maybe google's making it up

or are you just another tympathiser

So having a Northern Ireland supporters branch constitutes a Republican organisation??

Get a ****ing grip !! Talking complete rubbish.. he guy was honoured by the N.I Hibs supporters club last year and what exactly.. Are you a plastic Hun??

christ an RC scored for Hearts ,Slightly Angry Puppy and the 3 rd Battallion of the Gyle Volunteer Force will no like that

lol

So having a Northern Ireland supporters branch constitutes a Republican organisation??

Get a ****ing grip !! Talking complete rubbish.. he guy was honoured by the N.I Hibs supporters club last year and what exactly.. Are you a plastic Hun??

if you could type comprehensible sentences I would be able to respond to you

Archived