Pat Stanton (loyal hibby) - Scottish Cup woes

Craigieboy

EEN - "Hibs have not won the cup for 106 years and it has been a real disappointment for me that they have never been able to do it, despite some of the great teams that we have had at Easter Road. :nuts:

"But I suppose that you've got to look on the bright side of things. The team have been performing well in recent season and it's got to happen some time. :arf:

"If we won it, I think that the whole of Leith would have to shut down because there would be the biggest party the place has ever seen.

"And at least it gives us something to look forward to!" :booze:

What age is Pat Stanton BTW?

it gives us something to look forward to!

:wave1:

• Replies 258
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Say What Again

Close down Leith because it would be the biggest party we've ever seen.

I thought the Hobo's keep telling us it doesn't bother them? :rolleyes:

:wave1:

That same article was published in 1950 from another former Captain saying the same. Few good sides lately it will come. 58 years later :)

:107years::107years::107years::107years:

"If we won it, I think that the whole of Leith would have to shut down because there would be the biggest party the place has ever seen.

Massive, likes :rolleyes:

Stanton must be well into his 60s by now.

Say What Again

Patrick Gordon Stanton (born 13 September 1944)

Same birthday as me :mad:

I hate Stanton - vastly over rated.

The only decent thing he did was captain Hapless Hobo FC to a record Scottish Cup Final defeat. :)

"If we won it, I think that the whole of LEITH would have to shut down because there would be the biggest party the place has ever seen.

Does he not mean LOCHEND?:dribble:

PresidentRomanov

Stanton was just another in the long list of Hibs "greats" to head off to Celtic :)

Personally, I thought it was great, when he was caught by the police slumped over the wheel of his taxi, smashed out his face :booze:

Personally, I thought it was great, when he was caught by the police slumped over the wheel of his taxi, smashed out his face :booze:

I had forgotten about that. :booze::booze::booze::booze::balmoral:

I hate Stanton - vastly over rated.

The only decent thing he did was captain Hapless Hobo FC to a record Scottish Cup Final defeat. :)

What's the reason for hating him:confused:

PresidentRomanov
I had forgotten about that. :booze::booze::booze::booze::balmoral:

Old jakey bhastard :booze:

Remember his testimonial match at Easter Road, between the green rheptiles?

IRA band played at half time :mad:

What's the reason for hating him:confused:

1. He played for the hobos.

2. He played for ra sellik.

3. The taxi incident.

4. The unacceptable half time "entertainment" at his testimonial.

Apart from that he's a great bloke. :rolleyes:

3. The taxi incident.

You are some case, how can you hate someone purely because of the club/clubs they have played for? life really is too short to feel hatred for such petty reasons.

And you had forgotten about the taxi incident when you said you hated him. so I will discount that.

And what was the HT entertainment?

PresidentRomanov

3. The taxi incident.

He's also guest of honour, at the annual Northern Ireland Hibs Republical Rally in Belfast.

By all accounts it's a sunglasses and berets occasion :mad:

As long as he can get hammered for nothing, it wouldn't matter to him though :mad:

Nice mam

Great Player

Crap Manager

Surely you wouldn't, though.

Not at her age.

how can you hate someone purely because of the club/clubs they have played for?

Because I can.

And you had forgotten about the taxi incident when you said you hated him. so I will discount that.

I was aware there are loads of reasons for hating him, with 4 or 5 major ones. The taxi one slipped my mind, but PB kindly jogged my memory. Do you find being drunk in charge of a vehicle to be the actions of a "very nice man"? :rolleyes:

And what was the HT entertainment?

See previous posts. :sad:

Because I can.

I was aware there are loads of reasons for hating him, with 4 or 5 major ones. The taxi one slipped my mind, but PB kindly jogged my memory. Do you find being drunk in charge of a vehicle to be the actions of a "very nice man"? :rolleyes:

Because you can, you disappoint me with that response, :confused:

As for the drunk driving incident, yes very silly and irresponsible and thankfully no-one was hurt, but it is common knowledge he had/has a problem, and I have no doubt he was punished accordingly.

PresidentRomanov
Do you find being drunk in charge of a vehicle to be the actions of a "very nice man"?:

Not just any vehicle Therapist - a public vehicle :mad:

I wonder how any of Stanton's "fans" would feel, if a member of their family was killed after unwittingly entering this disgrace of a mans taxi :mad:

I wonder how any of Stanton's "fans" would feel, if a member of their family was killed after unwittingly entering this disgrace of a mans taxi :mad:

Well evidently you found it great:confused::wacko:

How witty to label me a fan for suggesting he is a nice man

Let's be honest, hating someone for the clubs they play/played for is what it's all about.

I couldn't give a toss if people like Rob Jones, Barry Ferguson, Massimo Donati are nice guys, I hate them all.

Let's be honest, hating someone for the clubs they play/played for is what it's all about.

I couldn't give a toss if people like Rob Jones, Barry Ferguson, Massimo Donati are nice guys, I hate them all.

I do hate them for the 90 mins on the pitch, however outside of that, I have thankfully no feelings one way or the other regarding them.

PresidentRomanov
Well evidently you found it great:confused::wacko:

How witty to label me a fan for suggesting he is a nice man

When did I label you a fan?

I do hate them for the 90 mins on the pitch, however outside of that, I have thankfully no feelings one way or the other regarding them.

What about Neil Lennon?

PresidentRomanov
How did I guess that would be your response???:)

Well what else would my response be, when out of nowhere you said I labelled you a fan? :confused:

Because I can.

Are you sure it?s not the fact that he led the best team to come out of Edinburgh, over the last 45 years [my time watching football], that really presses your nerves & the fact the teams he played in, dominated Edinburgh, much in the way Hearts were to do so later?

I?ve been to Tynie & watched many great players play for Hearts, although, to be fair, none of them were as good as Pat Stanton though. One thing I?m really delighted about, I?ve never been small minded enough, to let football rivalry, turn me in to the bitter and twisted examples you see on this site & on .net.

Say What Again
patstanton.jpg2618.jpg

nelson-haha.jpg

Nice one Legend, now my boss is wondering what I'm laughing at. :sad::)

PresidentRomanov
Are you sure it?s not the fact that he led the best team to come out of Edinburgh, over the last 45 years [my time watching football], that really presses your nerves & the fact the teams he played in, dominated Edinburgh, much in the way Hearts were to do so later?

I?ve been to Tynie & watched many great players play for Hearts, although, to be fair, none of them were as good as Pat Stanton though. One thing I?m really delighted about, I?ve never been small minded enough, to let football rivalry, turn me in to the bitter and twisted examples you see on this site & on .net.

What did the best team to come out of Edinburgh win?

maroonlegions

Aside from being keen to see Hibs' stars commit their future to the club, Stanton hopes against hope that this new season will finally see Hibs lift the Scottish Cup.

Hibs haven't won the trophy since 1902;) and Stanton admits that it's about time they broke their cup hoodoo. The Easter Road outfit had one of their best chances of winning the trophy snatched away from them two seasons ago when they lost out to Dunfermline in a semi-final replay.:107years:

A relegated Pars side then went on to lose to an under-performing Celtic in the final and Stanton admits that still hurts: "I really felt that we had a real chance in that final.:107years:

"We had lost to Dunfermline in the semi-final replay and, when it came to the final, Celtic had been playing poorly.

"I think that if we had made it through to the final then we would have had a great chance of winning it because it wasn't a good game and both sides struggled to get going.:107years:

"But, hopefully, our time will come sooner rather than later.:107years:

"Teams from lower divisions have made their mark in the competition in recent years and when you even consider that Gretna, who had just been promoted, were just a penalty kick away from winning the Scottish Cup against Hearts, it just shows you what can be done:

"Hibs have not won the cup for 106 years :107years:and it has been a real disappointment for me that they have never been able to do it, despite some of the great teams that we have had at Easter Road.(flair myth again)

"But I suppose that you've got to look on the bright side of things.:107years: The team have been performing well in recent season and it's got to happen some time.

"If we won it, I think that the whole of Leith would have to shut down because there would be the biggest party the place has ever seen.:rolleyes:

"And at least it gives us something to look forward to!":107years:

106 years he says,mmm, try :107years:

Oh come on FFS.

The topic was about the fact that he hopes to see them win the SC before he sleeps with the fishes in the skhy.

I would give him 18 years.

No ****ing chance.

Stay focused on the diddy Paddy bhoy.

:welldone:

Are you sure it?s not the fact that he led the best team to come out of Edinburgh, over the last 45 years

:hobofish:

I?ve been to Tynie & watched many great players play for Hearts, although none of them were as good as Pat Stanton

:hobofish:

It must really rip your breasts that those who weren't as good as the drunken cabbie are the ones who possess Scottish Cup winners medals.

I?ve never been small minded enough, to let football rivalry, turn me in to the bitter and twisted examples you see on this site

I can give you lessons for ?60 per hour with a 15% discount if you sign up for a full course of 8. :cool:

Stanton was just another in the long list of Hibs "greats" to head off to Celtic :)

:rofl:

Kudos to Tonup and Boom for their contribution to this thread.

mellors1874

for all these people on here having a dig at pat stanton bout being a hibby playing for celtic or the taxi incident you guys simply don't have a clue

i work with pat and he is one of the nicest guys you could meet

always takes the time to have a chat and tell stories about his career which even for a jambo like me are brilliant to listen too how many people do you know that have played against real madrid

he has made mistakes in his life but who hasn't so lay off the guy

Nucky Thompson

3. The taxi incident.

5. The Hobo reptiles love the ground he walks on.

That's good enough for me to hate the jakey, ex taxi driver:107years:

always takes the time to tell stories about his career

What does he say about the half time entertainment at his testimonial? Or does he gloss over that? :rolleyes:

mellors1874
What does he say about the half time entertainment at his testimonial? Or does he gloss over that? :rolleyes:

he only talks bout the good times when football was a man's games and how he wishes edinburgh had two teams fighting for trophies all the time and how his career ended

seems like you can't get over the testimonial

WorldChampions1902

My understanding about this particular incident was that PS was unaware of the content of this part of his testimonial arrangements and he was angry and p***** off about the whole thing.

Somebody on the Testimonial organising committee hijacked the event for their own purposes. I have no axe to grind on this, just sharing what I was told at the time and I believe this to be 100% accurate.

he only talks bout the good times

Must be a very short conversation. :)

The Old Tolbooth

Funny how your selective with how many years you go back hobo, try going back just a tad further and do you really think that Stanton led side (which was so great it won fak all) was anywhere near as good as Hearts 1958 record breaking (still record holders btw) title winning team?

I would have thought for a supporter of a team who's fans love to live in the past that you would have at least been fair about it and taken this into consideration.

:107years:

maroonedinoz

I've known Pat Stanton for many years and regardless of whatever club he played for/supports is a gentleman.

As far as I can recall he did not fall asleep drunk in a taxi..it was his own private car.

He was working as a security guard at the time, had done a long shift, went for a bevvy after work and made a very bad decision to drive.

I am not condoning for one second what he did and got duly punished for, but it was NOT a 'public' vehicle as has been suggested.

Pat actually speaks highly of the Hearts, and I'm sure if you asked him if it was a case of Hearts playng against any of the Old Firm in a cup final, he would much rather we won than got beat.

As far as I can recall he did not fall asleep drunk in a taxi..it was his own private car.

That is a classic "when did you stop beating your wife" ism. :rolleyes:

maroonedinoz
That is a classic "when did you stop beating your wife" ism. :rolleyes:

Sorry Therapist, I guess I'm just not as good at hating people as you are.

Funny how your selective with how many years you go back hobo, try going back just a tad further and do you really think that Stanton led side (which was so great it won fak all) was anywhere near as good as Hearts 1958 record breaking (still record holders btw) title winning team?

I would have thought for a supporter of a team who's fans love to live in the past that you would have at least been fair about it and taken this into consideration.

:107years:

Not funny at all, if you learn how to digest the written word, I stated I was going back to when I started watching football. By the way, stupid childlike name calling, says far more about you than it ever will about me.

Archived