Pat Stanton (loyal hibby) - Scottish Cup woes

Craigieboy

• Replies 258
  • Created
  • Last Reply
judetheobscure
I can assure you I am. Basically I hate everything non-Hearts and non-Chelsea, and make no apologies for that. To me, football is all about hating the opposition, some more than others.

Hardly healthy basing wha i assume is a large part of our life on hatred is it? You clearly have issues, can anybody recommend a therapist for this guy?

Incidentally, why Chelsea? Family connections, used to live down there or what?

gorgie rd eh11
Sorry! I reeealy love Pat Stanton!!! That better for you!? Just thought it was a Hearts forum I was on, that's all. If I wanted to know anything about him I would go into a Hibs one surely?

Are you shaking with rage:rolleyes: I'm convinced.

Incidentally, why Chelsea? Family connections, used to live down there or what?

Always like them since I saw them beat durty Leeds on telly in the 1970 FA Cup Final replay. A truly great team, playing with style and featuring two great Scots; Eddie McCreadie and the wonderful Charlie Cooke.

The Baldmans Comb
as a Hearts supporter i find this thread is shameful and embarrassing

Yes so do I.:mad:

Hearts really do have some very twisted bigots amongst our own support but fortunately they are continually shouted down by the reasonable minded amongst us.

Stanton was a great player and is a thoroughly decent man though I think Dave Mackay had the steel and bottle that Stanton just lacked and he gets my accolade has Edinburgh greatest footballing son.

Souness isnae allowed to take part.

You`ve got to laugh at Hobo Ray`s post. Best team in Edinburgh he`s seen in the 45 years he`s watched football is a Hobo one??

I take it he`s refering to the Hibs side of the early 70`s who i believe were a good team but how long did it last? 2 ,3 seasons?(im only 34 so i did`nt see them)

You know, Hobos remind me of Leeds or Newcastle fans. They produce one or two genuine good teams in 30, 40 years and they think they are the dogs boll*cks. They think those teams are the prototype for future sides all over the world long after they`ve had their 15 minutes of fame and are back to their old inconsistent sheeite.

Hobos really can be a pain in the chorus in verse at times. If he`s watched football since 1963 then he obviously never saw Hearts sides in the early 60`s who were off the back of winning trophies and nearly won another title in 1965.

Tramp.

my old man, he told me

paddy stantons got vd

with a nick nack paddywack

give the dog a bone

send the f****n b******s home

quality song from the past

ripvanwinkle
my old man, he told me

paddy stantons got vd

with a nick nack paddywack

give the dog a bone

send the f****n b******s home

quality song from the past

Such quality!! The originality and wit is astounding; They don't have quality songs like that nowadays eh?

Such quality!! The originality and wit is astounding; They don't have quality songs like that nowadays eh?

I could think of a few but they are not for posting on a football message board

Send the hibs to vietnam

You`ve got to laugh at Hobo Ray`s post. Best team in Edinburgh he`s seen in the 45 years he`s watched football is a Hobo one??

I take it he`s refering to the Hibs side of the early 70`s who i believe were a good team but how long did it last? 2 ,3 seasons?(im only 34 so i did`nt see them)

You know, Hobos remind me of Leeds or Newcastle fans. They produce one or two genuine good teams in 30, 40 years and they think they are the dogs boll*cks. They think those teams are the prototype for future sides all over the world long after they`ve had their 15 minutes of fame and are back to their old inconsistent sheeite.

Hobos really can be a pain in the chorus in verse at times. If he`s watched football since 1963 then he obviously never saw Hearts sides in the early 60`s who were off the back of winning trophies and nearly won another title in 1965.

Tramp.

Yip, laugh all you want, I merely told the truth, as I saw it, but at least I saw it & was not commenting blindly.

Although that was the best team I have seen in Edinburgh, I thought they grossly underachieved, so I didn?t think they were the dog?s bollocks, that accolade would have gone to Stein?s Celtic, in my opinion, the best Scottish team I?ve seen. They didn?t just threaten to be the best, they achieved it, season upon season & unlike their weegie counterparts, they didn?t spend massive amounts to achieve it. That doesn?t mean that I like them, I hate Edinburgh fans supporting either of the infirm & I also can?t stand what both those clubs stand for.

Unlike some on here & on .net for that matter, I have no issues or worries about supporting what was my local team. My dad was a huge Hearts fan & used to tell me about the great Dave MacKay, Alfie Conn & Willie Bauld & Hibs counterparts, the famous five & Joe Baker.

He reckoned that Gordon Smith was the best player he had ever seen, better than Finney & Mathews, I can?t comment, not having seen any of them. He also thought that Pat Stanton was a tremendous player & that he fully deserved it when he won the Scottish player of the year in 1970, the year Celtic hammered Leeds, getting to the European cup final.

I used to be a regular visitor to Tynie, when Hibs weren?t playing & would always want an Edinburgh team to succeed, as opposed to any other team, either in this country or abroad & I?ve no intension of letting a few bitter clowns, alter my view on that.

Rusty Can Man

Well I really can't believe some of the horrendous bile spouted by some bigots on here re. Pat Stanton.

In my opinion, he is without doubt the classiest player I have seen from either Hibs or Hearts in my lifetime (I am 56 years old). Both clubs have had many good players but in my opinion Pat Stanton was the best of them all - of course many Hearts fans of that era may have Levien, Robertson, etc., as their personal favourites.

I have cousins who are Jambos, and the banter between both sides of the family has always been great fun.

However, some of the people expressing their vile bigotry on here today regarding a thoroughly decent human being are an utter disgrace to themselves and their club! My Hearts supporting relatives will be livid reading the ridiculous bile the

se cretins have spouted on this thread!

Sincere thanks to the many decent Hearts fans for attempting to reason with these neanderthals! (Although I do i fact believe the perpetrators are beyond help!)

If they cannot realise that they are letting their blind bigorty cloud their opinions they are to pitied, and I can see no hope for them.

It is no wonder that more and more Hibs fans would not be bothered if Hearts went to the wall as a result of Mr Romanov's dealings....with the tacit approval of these types!....which would be a pity for all the many decent Jambos!

BTW - The equalising 5:00 pm goal was at the school end. At least 3 Hibs players were at the back post waiting to nod the ball in, but Pat was the man who did it! I was in the enclosure in the hearts end, as I could not get in the Gorgie Road section that day. it was from open play, not a corner or free kick, and looked offside! We did not care, of course!

I can assure you I am. Basically I hate everything non-Hearts and non-Chelsea, and make no apologies for that. To me, football is all about hating the opposition, some more than others.

How sad.

Anyone who admits to having such an immature, blinkered outlook shouldn't be taken seriously on a football supporters' forum.

The Old Tolbooth

Although that was the best team I have seen in Edinburgh, .

Do you honestly believe that pish?

Do you honestly think that the team involving Pat Stanton was any better that the Hearts sides of 86?

How close did your beloved hobo side get to winning the league?

You came within 4 points of winning the league in 73-74, and 6 points the year after, whereas everyone knows that Hearts should have won the league in 86 and lost out on goal difference.

Please don't sit there and tell me that THAT Hibs team were the best Edinburgh side you've ever seen, when you know it's false!

Do you honestly believe that pish?

Do you honestly think that the team involving Pat Stanton was any better that the Hearts sides of 86?

How close did your beloved hobo side get to winning the league?

You came within 4 points of winning the league in 73-74, and 6 points the year after, whereas everyone knows that Hearts should have won the league in 86 and lost out on goal difference.

Please don't sit there and tell me that THAT Hibs team were the best Edinburgh side you've ever seen, when you know it's false!

Yes, I do believe it. The Celtic & Rangers teams of the early seventies, were much stronger than their counterparts in the mid-eighties, their European competion results from that era, will tell you that much.

WorldChampions1902
Well I really can't believe some of the horrendous bile spouted by some bigots on here re. Pat Stanton.

In my opinion, he is without doubt the classiest player I have seen from either Hibs or Hearts in my lifetime (I am 56 years old). Both clubs have had many good players but in my opinion Pat Stanton was the best of them all - of course many Hearts fans of that era may have Levien, Robertson, etc., as their personal favourites.

I have cousins who are Jambos, and the banter between both sides of the family has always been great fun.

However, some of the people expressing their vile bigotry on here today regarding a thoroughly decent human being are an utter disgrace to themselves and their club! My Hearts supporting relatives will be livid reading the ridiculous bile the

se cretins have spouted on this thread!

Sincere thanks to the many decent Hearts fans for attempting to reason with these neanderthals! (Although I do i fact believe the perpetrators are beyond help!)

If they cannot realise that they are letting their blind bigorty cloud their opinions they are to pitied, and I can see no hope for them.

It is no wonder that more and more Hibs fans would not be bothered if Hearts went to the wall as a result of Mr Romanov's dealings....with the tacit approval of these types!....which would be a pity for all the many decent Jambos!

BTW - The equalising 5:00 pm goal was at the school end. At least 3 Hibs players were at the back post waiting to nod the ball in, but Pat was the man who did it! I was in the enclosure in the hearts end, as I could not get in the Gorgie Road section that day. it was from open play, not a corner or free kick, and looked offside! We did not care, of course!

This gentleman makes it obvious he is a supporter of Hibernian Football Club and I agree 100% with his sentiments above highlighted in blue.

Pat Stanton was a great footballer albeit for Hibs. He is also a gentleman and it saddens me that this thread has been allowed to continue for as long as it has. As Rusty Can Man has intimated, it has allowed those with a bigoted agenda to spout their bile and it drags the good name of this messageboard into the gutter.

I have never before requested that a thread be closed. On this occasion, I make an exception..................please.

The Old Tolbooth
Yes, I do believe it. The Celtic & Rangers teams of the early seventies, were much stronger than their counterparts in the mid-eighties, their European competion results from that era, will tell you that much.

In a time when money wasn't so much of a winner for clubs, but loyalty to the jersey, and being proud to represent a team were, it's hardly an argument!

It's MUCH more difficult for teams like Rangers and Celtic to do well in the CL these days as it was in those days, simply because the competition was of a more level playing field without the injection of millions of pounds swaying the bigger clubs to more success.

Remember, even Ipswich won the UEFA cup in 81!

I think like all Hibs fans, you like to live in a dream world and pretend that your sides were better than they actually were, a bit like the myth that the famous five were better than the terrible trio, when the favous five never beat the terrible trio in a derby match. :rolleyes:

In a time when money wasn't so much of a winner for clubs, but loyalty to the jersey, and being proud to represent a team were, it's hardly an argument!

It's MUCH more difficult for teams like Rangers and Celtic to do well in the CL these days as it was in those days, simply because the competition was of a more level playing field without the injection of millions of pounds swaying the bigger clubs to more success.

I think like all Hibs fans, you like to live in a dream world and pretend that your sides were better than they actually were, a bit like the myth that the famous five were better than the terrible trio, when the favous five never beat the terrible trio in a derby match. :rolleyes:

Celtic, in the early seventies, were a far superior side to any old firm team that played in the eighties, therefore challenging them to the title was a dam sight harder. Even Rangers won winning the Cup Winners Cup in 1972.

Bobby Robson?s Ipswich was a terrific team. I was at the 1978 cup final when they played Arsenal off the park, winning the FA cup. I was also at Highbury, on the last day of the 80/81 season, when Ipswich lost the title, on the last day of the season, when Arsenal?s opponents that day, Aston Villa, won a three way final day fight for the title, with Liverpool being the third team in contention. Villa won the European cup the following season.

This was the time when English teams totally dominated European football, three different English clubs, won six European cups, in six years & they were dominating the lesser European competitions as well.

Never saw either side, but if the goal difference rules were the same as they are today, the famous five would have won four titles in a row, instead of three in four years.

The Vulture

They had a very good manager and some really good players (e.g. Muhren, Butcher, Wark, Beattie). The team was class, I'm sure if the champions league format then is what it is now that team wouldn't have disgraced themselves either.

The Old Tolbooth
They had a very good manager and some really good players (e.g. Muhren, Butcher, Wark, Beattie). The team was class, I'm sure if the champions league format then is what it is now that team wouldn't have disgraced themselves either.

I think it's easy to label players "very good" after their side has won something, however I look at it from a point of view from todays perspective, Ipswich are a relatively small club, with nowhere near the largest support, yet they did well in the late 70's and early 80's on a shoestring budget with a committed squad of talented players, built up by Bobby Robson, a very good manager. This also makes my point of how it was easier to nurture a club to more European success in those days than it is now, where money dominates.

Can you imagine a side like Ipswich winning a European trophy ever again? I cant, or Forest, for that matter, even Villa who are massive in comparison to both the sides mentioned would struggle to win a Euro comp, and their only chance would be a lucky run in the UEFA cup.

The only English sides that are ever going to do anything in Europe these days are the big four in the CL, and anyone you like in the UEFA cup because it has been demeaned so much by the CL commanding the first few places in each countries league set up. The UEFA cup should be renamed the also rans cup (for teams who have no hope of winning their domestic league)

Anyway Ray, you seem like one of the more decent Hibs fans who post, apologies for the initial jibes but I just get fed up of hobos on the wind up and sadly tar them all with the same brush now. :)

I still think our 86 side was better than your 1974 side ;)

I think it's easy to label players "very good" after their side has won something, however I look at it from a point of view from todays perspective, Ipswich are a relatively small club, with nowhere near the largest support, yet they did well in the late 70's and early 80's on a shoestring budget with a committed squad of talented players, built up by Bobby Robson, a very good manager. This also makes my point of how it was easier to nurture a club to more European success in those days than it is now, where money dominates.

Can you imagine a side like Ipswich winning a European trophy ever again? I cant, or Forest, for that matter, even Villa who are massive in comparison to both the sides mentioned would struggle to win a Euro comp, and their only chance would be a lucky run in the UEFA cup.

The only English sides that are ever going to do anything in Europe these days are the big four in the CL, and anyone you like in the UEFA cup because it has been demeaned so much by the CL commanding the first few places in each countries league set up. The UEFA cup should be renamed the also rans cup (for teams who have no hope of winning their domestic league)

Anyway Ray, you seem like one of the more decent Hibs fans who post, apologies for the initial jibes but I just get fed up of hobos on the wind up and sadly tar them all with the same brush now. :)

Apologies most definitely accepted & we will agree to differ with the above:)

The Vulture

The traditional knockout set up of the European cup was fantastic, when games were being played by a British team away against eastern European opposition some of the crowds used to contain loads of spectators in their military gear.

European football has however been demeaned as now its all basically about making money. It is highly unlikely that a smaller team will make it to the Champions League final, and that I feel is to the detrement of the game of football.

It could be argued that when Hearts played Athens away, the incompetent refereeing indicated that there could have been orders from above to make the Greeks qualify.

Of course football evolves as everything else does, but to say even Ipswich won the UEFA cup I find is a little unfair. Had Hearts managed to win the Cup Winners Cup like the sheep did or the UEFA cup like Dundee Utd nearly did, the players would have become legends and quite rightly so.

To win any European trophy then or now is an achievement which deserves respect.

stick with it -Ray you have apoint and i like it>>>>>>>

arse forgot what i was on about

anyway i love hibs and so should all of you,

**** ia m a :hobofish:

shaun.lawson

Oh? So you must hate Rangers FC then? Funny - I can't recall any post of yours expressing it...

PresidentRomanov

Can someone point out all the bigotry on this thread, I think I may be missing something :confused:

With the exception of pointing out about Pat's band, which no one has attempted to deny happened,, I can't see anything even hinting toward that type of thing :confused:

Denny Crane
Celtic, in the early seventies, were a far superior side to any old firm team that played in the eighties, therefore challenging them to the title was a dam sight harder. Even Rangers won winning the Cup Winners Cup in 1972.

Bobby Robson?s Ipswich was a terrific team. I was at the 1978 cup final when they played Arsenal off the park, winning the FA cup. I was also at Highbury, on the last day of the 80/81 season, when Ipswich lost the title, on the last day of the season, when Arsenal?s opponents that day, Aston Villa, won a three way final day fight for the title, with Liverpool being the third team in contention. Villa won the European cup the following season.

This was the time when English teams totally dominated European football, three different English clubs, won six European cups, in six years & they were dominating the lesser European competitions as well.

Never saw either side, but if the goal difference rules were the same as they are today, the famous five would have won four titles in a row, instead of three in four years.

Have to be annoying and pull you up on this one. Liverpool were never in contention having gone through a very poor season by their standards and finished fifth (they had lost as many games as Villa but 17 draws cost them. Although they still did better than Man Utd and also won the League Cup and the European Cup). Villa and Ipswich were the only ones who could have won it on that l day as Arsenal (3rd) and West Brom (4th) were already out of the running by then.

ripvanwinkle
Some whoppers reeled in on this thread.

---- and some whoppers told on it too.

See ref to Alex. Cropley for one example.

Have to be annoying and pull you up on this one. Liverpool were never in contention having gone through a very poor season by their standards and finished fifth (they had lost as many games as Villa but 17 draws cost them. Although they still did better than Man Utd and also won the League Cup and the European Cup). Villa and Ipswich were the only ones who could have won it on that l day as Arsenal (3rd) and West Brom (4th) were already out of the running by then.

As far as I remembered it was three clubs, I certainly could be wrong though. Whatever Arsenal's final position was, [i don't know], they had to beat Villa that day to qualify for the Eufa Cup & they succeeded by winning 2-0. This brought about a celebration from the Arsenal fans, in the way of a pitch invasion. That prevented Villa doing a lap of honour, as league champions, there was over 50k inside Highbury that day & shock horror, it was a 3pm Saturday afternoon KO.

Can someone point out all the bigotry on this thread, I think I may be missing something :confused:

With the exception of pointing out about Pat's band, which no one has attempted to deny happened,, I can't see anything even hinting toward that type of thing :confused:

As a rule, those who express bigoted views are unlikely to recognise these views as bigoted.

Therefore, if you read this thread and can see nothing bigoted in it, you might have a problem. (Note the deliberate use of the word "might": I make no judgement of, or assumptions about, you personally)

As a Hearts fan, I'm not especially embarrassed by this thread. It shows that the majority of us are reasonable, and capable of expressing appreciation of an opponent. It also shows that a number of Hearts fans are beyond help, even beyond therapy (although probably quite a few of these are simply wind-up merchants; this is the internet after all). We already knew that.

As a rule, those who express bigoted views are unlikely to recognise these views as bigoted.

deary deary deary me

stop rimming stanton's ring

winston churchill
deary deary deary me

stop rimming stanton's ring

why not,he was better than bobby moore after all:rolleyes:

or was he not the best sweeper in europe:confused:

That's because there isn't any.

The simple minded self-styled bigot hunters on here think pointing out facts about Stanton or hating other teams amounts to bigotry. They don't actually understand the meaning of the word "bigot", but throw it around in a desperate attempt to be accepted by, and receive a cyber stroking from, their fellow members of the Right On Brigade.

It's pathetic, but unfortunately you don't have to pass an intelligence test to sign in to the interweb. :sad:

---- and some whoppers told on it too.

See ref to Alex. Cropley for one example.

What whoppers about Alex Cropley?

He actually is a right ugly git.

He could eat an apple through a letterbox.

judetheobscure
That's because there isn't any.

The simple minded self-styled bigot hunters on here think pointing out facts about Stanton or hating other teams amounts to bigotry. They don't actually understand the meaning of the word "bigot", but throw it around in a desperate attempt to be accepted by, and receive a cyber stroking from, their fellow members of the Right On Brigade.

It's pathetic, but unfortunately you don't have to pass an intelligence test to sign in to the interweb. :sad:

I can agree with you on that but then if there was one what would you do with all the spare time you would have? I can't see that your irrational hatred and prejudices would be tolerated for long in the 'real' world.

Not so sure John, Bolton and Rangers have both shown how easy the UEFA can be.

John Findlay
Yip, laugh all you want, I merely told the truth, as I saw it, but at least I saw it & was not commenting blindly.

Although that was the best team I have seen in Edinburgh, I thought they grossly underachieved, so I didn?t think they were the dog?s bollocks, that accolade would have gone to Stein?s Celtic, in my opinion, the best Scottish team I?ve seen. They didn?t just threaten to be the best, they achieved it, season upon season & unlike their weegie counterparts, they didn?t spend massive amounts to achieve it. That doesn?t mean that I like them, I hate Edinburgh fans supporting either of the infirm & I also can?t stand what both those clubs stand for.

Unlike some on here & on .net for that matter, I have no issues or worries about supporting what was my local team. My dad was a huge Hearts fan & used to tell me about the great Dave MacKay, Alfie Conn & Willie Bauld & Hibs counterparts, the famous five & Joe Baker.

He reckoned that Gordon Smith was the best player he had ever seen, better than Finney & Mathews, I can?t comment, not having seen any of them. He also thought that Pat Stanton was a tremendous player & that he fully deserved it when he won the Scottish player of the year in 1970, the year Celtic hammered Leeds, getting to the European cup final.

I used to be a regular visitor to Tynie, when Hibs weren?t playing & would always want an Edinburgh team to succeed, as opposed to any other team, either in this country or abroad & I?ve no intension of letting a few bitter clowns, alter my view on that.

Your father may know mine. My father also states that the best player he ever saw was Gordon Smith and my father is a Hearts supporter of over 52yrs, and did see Finney and Matthews in the flesh too.

John

Your father may know mine. My father also states that the best player he ever saw was Gordon Smith and my father is a Hearts supporter of over 52yrs, and did see Finney and Matthews in the flesh too.

John

He possibly did John, a bit too late to ask him I?m afraid though, he died Nov 2002 [he would have appreciated that one]:). I?m sorry he missed Burley?s team, he would have loved the swagger that team had. At the same time, I glad he missed the current going on?s, well from down here anyway.

He was proudly Scottish & proudly Edinburgh & liked nothing better to see one of our teams beat the manky west coasters; he obviously preferred it to be his beloved Jam Tarts though.

Ray

the year Celtic hammered Leeds, getting to the European cup final..............................

and lost to Yooro giants.........................Feyenoord. :eek:

How funny was that? Incidentally, Ove Kindvall was my favourite player in 1970. :)

Toxteth O'Grady
Oh? So you must hate Rangers FC then? Funny - I can't recall any post of yours expressing it...

;)

:rolleyes:

I do hate Rangers FC. Just not as much as ra sellik or the Leith Oirish FC.

Ron Burgundy
:rolleyes:

I do hate Rangers FC. Just not as much as ra sellik or the Leith Oirish FC.

Some people just cannot grasp that though.

It must mean you sit at home listening to Skrewdriver albums and reading the BNP manifesto.

It must mean you sit at home listening to Skrewdriver albums and reading the BNP manifesto.

Funny you should mention that......;)

Stanton's irrelevant.

Without sounding disrespectful, he'll have popped his proverbial clogs by the time Hubs ever win it again.

Can someone explain what's bigotted about disliking a former Hibs player?

People are too quick to call each other bigots on here.

I worked with him for a few years.

One of the nicest most genuine people i have ever met :)

Stanton's irrelevant.

Without sounding disrespectful, he'll have popped his proverbial clogs by the time Hubs ever win it again.

Let's he hope he has a very long life then:107years::107years:

Can someone explain what's bigotted about disliking a former Hibs player?

People are too quick to call each other bigots on here.

There is nothing bigotted in that, I think the thinking behind these accusations is the posting history of some, however I think everyone who has met Stanton only has good things to say about him

Archived