What have we become...charging to be a mascot ( edited )

Anderson5

32 minutes ago, WeeChuck'sHeed said:

Jesus, hope Souttar isn't reading this thread, he'll be handing in transfer request. ?

Would you not hold his hand?

I would ask Uche to hold the other one so I could get a swing. 

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Bazzas right boot

• luckyBatistuta

• Nookie Bear

• graygo

2 hours ago, Lord BJ said:

I’m not sure why this is a story it’s not new.

Both my kids have done it and I suggest it’s good value, if you can afford it. In addition to the mascot the kids get full strips, 2 Nr hospitality tickets, tour and a wonderful experience meeting hero’s.

Despite what may be stated. Mascots are not just paid for draws still happen also through a variety of routes. 

I actually think this route probably makes it way more accessible to attend. Previously it was luck or draw or being organised through club sponsors. Essentially they have made way more a vesible for children. 

Also on the adults doing it. There are a number of gentlemen who attend hospitality who are actively trying/considering being mascots as a bit of a laugh. 

Also so I think the club has improved dramatically in relation to kids since AB took over. 

It does make it way more accessible for *some* kids. The kids with parents who can afford to fork out for it. I know life’s not fair and all that stuff but I’d rather we weren’t doing things that ram home this idea for little kids - they’ve got a lifetime of adulthood to realise how crap the world is. I don’t think there’s many free places available via Junior Jambos either. 

Junior Jambos, Kids Club, Family Day, all that type of activity hits the spot. Being a mascot is something people still talk about in adulthood - it’s really special. It just feels weird and wrong to attach a massive price tag to that or to make the experience exclusive to the kids with parents who have £300 (x however many kids) lying around. 

30 minutes ago, Smithee said:

I think a lot of people have missed the post that confirms we do have a good compromise in place, that one of the mascots each game is the winner of a free Junior Jambos draw, the others are paid. 

I’m not sure that’s actually the case though. 

Francis Albert

I think we can confidently expect the Record to come out with another shock news story in the next few weeks. "STORES CHARGE FOR KIDS TO VISIT SANTA"

Unknown user
16 minutes ago, redm said:

I’m not sure that’s actually the case though. 

Yeah, I see he doesn't say it's for every game right enough

5 minutes ago, Francis Albert said:

I think we can confidently expect the Record to come out with another shock news story in the next few weeks. "STORES CHARGE FOR KIDS TO VISIT SANTA"

I was charged for my beers in Eighteen 74, couldn't believe it.

26 minutes ago, redm said:

It does make it way more accessible for *some* kids. The kids with parents who can afford to fork out for it. I know life’s not fair and all that stuff but I’d rather we weren’t doing things that ram home this idea for little kids - they’ve got a lifetime of adulthood to realise how crap the world is. I don’t think there’s many free places available via Junior Jambos either. 

Junior Jambos, Kids Club, Family Day, all that type of activity hits the spot. Being a mascot is something people still talk about in adulthood - it’s really special. It just feels weird and wrong to attach a massive price tag to that or to make the experience exclusive to the kids with parents who have £300 (x however many kids) lying around. 

This, and nicely put.

10 hours ago, WeeChuck'sHeed said:

Can adults do this? ?

Full strip, walking out holding soapy 's hand ?

Not weird at all. ?

:rofl: 

11 hours ago, Anderson5 said:

Is this the best the Record can come up with today, then Rangers are in trouble...How about "Exclusive: Rangers to offer £2 and sherbet fountain for John Souttar"?

The kids are not paying, their parents are. I'd rather see Hearts offer low ticket prices to encourage new young supporters than offer free "once in a lifetime experiences" to kids who are already fans.. Disney World isn't free.

I'd be concerned about who is in charge commercially if the mascot was a giveaway except if there was a reason ie not enough takers (which would imply that the price is wrongly pitched), a marketing freebie on occasion.

If the club was to start having sponsors all over the strip, this would enrage Hearts fans far more than charging parents for a treat for their kids.

BTW I am saying this from the perspective of a child of wealthy parents who refused to buy me the presents I wanted at Christmases and birthdays. I never got a new bike, only second hand and used to pretend to my mates I'd had a couple of falls already!  Haha (I'm positive they never believed me!) When I look back I still struggle to understand the logic of it, and I see my sister spoil my niece for this very reason as she disagrees with my parents idea on how to parent. I view it as my parents were war children and they never had much at all as kids, so they decided this was the best way to raise us - still makes no sense. I was never an Hearts mascot! LOL

Edited by Spellczech

Everything should be free. Like EVERYTHING!!

That way people with no money can have everything they want. I can walk into a Ferrari dealership and just take one. How good would that be. There would be poverty, no theft, no one would need to work because you dont need money!

What a wonderful world that would be.

Captain America

I was lucky enough that I won the Kickback competition last season for my daughter to be a mascot at the St Johnstone game.

We had great day out, taking short tour of stadium, 3 match tickets, signed programme, full 3rd strip, kickabout with Jock, pictures with players and she got to walk on with her hero at the time Kyle Lafferty, hospitality at HT/FT. 

I couldn't justify paying the £300 for it though but I have no issues with the club charging that amount.

Our club does more than any other for our younger fans imo. We have 4  junior jambo events a this season, the family fun event plus the gorgie kids club we have ran twice already this season.

16 minutes ago, Lord BJ said:

I don’t find it weird or wrong to charge for the experience. Hospitality, kits, tour are being provided, I don’t expect that to be free.

Geniune question why is it weird or wrong? Is it because some people can’t afford it? That’s no different than going to the football.

I don’t think it’s demonstrating anything to kids about life being shit and it certainly does not ‘ramm home’ the reality that life ain’t fair. Many other things would flag that up outside not being a mascot. 

I’m surprised some want to deny kids a wonderful experience on the basis of some people can’t afford it. I find that a strange attitude but fair enough.

Also we have as many drawn places as always had I believe.

Extras are being provided but if you look at the cost of the component parts of the experience versus the actual value, there's not actually much in the way of outlay for the club. They'll make a very decent profit on mascot experiences. I guess for that reason I can understand why they pinpointed it as something they could make some cash from. 

I don't have a huge issue with this, I'm just uncomfortable with it because of the type of experience that it is. It's such a special thing for little Jambos - and big ones too. Who wants to deny kids the experience though? Not me, and not anyone else on this thread from what I've seen. Quite the opposite. I just think we need to be careful about monetising every little last part of the club. It feels a bit too cynical and exploitative for my tastes. 

Also, I don't believe there are that many draw places. 

Francis Albert

It would be nice it was free or part of some rewards scheme for kids, though of course the latter would in practice be another means of paying.

The numbers involved are small so any arrangement would be highly selective one way or another.

And while "unfair" in a sense, it is also unfair that some kids get a new smart phone every year and others don't. If they or their parents choose to forego the new smartphone one year for this "special day" why shouldn't they have that option?

In any event I hope that these kids lives are not so impoverished that it remains forever "the experience of a lifetime".

While on the subject of child experiences, Scott Wilson always used to introduce the half time lap of honour after the HT kickabouts (which of course involve much bigger numbers) by saying it was the part the youngsters always enjoyed most. I noticed on Saturday that they were just sent straight back to the Wheatfield/Roseburn corner to take their seats. Why?

Edited by Francis Albert

My daughter has grown up but never wanted to do this when she was wee. I would have had no issue paying for it if she wanted to.

FarmerTweedy
11 hours ago, Jambos_1874 said:

I don't think the parents of kids should be charged for this. We should be doing everything we can to encourage kids to get involved in football and be enthusiastic about supporting Hearts and restricting a large part of our young support from the opportunity to do this, for example, goes against that philosophy. There will be a lot of parents in our fanbase who simply cannot afford this and that's why I think it's unfair.

Lots of people can't afford lots of things.  Doesn't make it unfair.  As others have said, there are lots of free, or very low cost, opportunities for young fans to meet the players, and to get involved with the club.  

FarmerTweedy
11 hours ago, mitch41 said:

If you are a single parent on a low wage or on a benefit  what chance do you have of taking your child on holiday to Disney World? Answer NONE.

You don't see a problem and that tells me what you are all about. Money !

You can say the 'some folk can't afford it so it's not fair' thing about pretty much anything, see above.  Some folk can't afford a season ticket. Should we make season tickets free so that everyone can afford one?  Not fair if we don't, is it?

Good to see someone's found something new for you to moan about while you're currently suffering a lack of opportunities to moan about the actual football!

5 minutes ago, redm said:

Extras are being provided but if you look at the cost of the component parts of the experience versus the actual value, there's not actually much in the way of outlay for the club. They'll make a very decent profit on mascot experiences. I guess for that reason I can understand why they pinpointed it as something they could make some cash from. 

I don't have a huge issue with this, I'm just uncomfortable with it because of the type of experience that it is. It's such a special thing for little Jambos - and big ones too. Who wants to deny kids the experience though? Not me, and not anyone else on this thread from what I've seen. Quite the opposite. I just think we need to be careful about monetising every little last part of the club. It feels a bit too cynical and exploitative for my tastes. 

Also, I don't believe there are that many draw places. 

It would be good if there was greater clarity on the number of draws for the JJs.

In terms of pricing - I do find it usual that it’s seems to be a flat rate throughout the season. 

I do think there’s a difficult line to walk between undervaluing it and making it something that is premium so I’m leaning more towards the view that it’s priced just about right.

Mascot Packages for Season 2018/19 SPFL matches include:

• Mascots Tour
  • Full matchday kit 
  • Matchday tickets in the main stand for each mascot and 2 guests, at least one must be a parent / guardian
    Kiosk vouchers
  • Photo of each mascot on the mascots page within the matchday programme
  • Match programme signed by the 1st team
  • Copy of official team sheet with each mascots’ name on it
  • Kick about with Jock the Jambo alongside Hearts players pre-match
  • Photos with some of the first-team players
  • Stadium announcement
  • Walk out with the team before kick-off
  • Official photo with the match officials, team captains and Jock the Jambo
  • A letter of thanks signed by the first-team Captain

Cost: £300 (incl. VAT)

£300 quid, seems like a good deal to me. 

Edited by primrose

FarmerTweedy
11 hours ago, WeeChuck'sHeed said:

Mmmmm. 

I'm a leftie but let me start. 

If you can't afford something, then tough titties. That is the world just now. 

I feel sorry for folk that can't afford food, meds, housing etc, but really can't argue for not being able to afford something that is so low down on the needs list it's not there. 

I can't afford a brand new ferrari, guess what-I bought something else. 

Hearts aren't here to solve the worlds problems or to be a charity. 

Having a go at Hearts for making money as a business is ridiculous. 

:spoton:

highlandjambo3
12 hours ago, luckyBatistuta said:

Exactly, It is a sly dig at Hearts, main picture and price is of us, even though we are not the most expensive. There is a lot more involved than your kid just walking on the pitch for your money.

Who are we playing next?  Oh that’s right........... by midweek we will have “stevengerrardsrangers have an eye on......(enter any hearts player) in the January transfer window”.

FarmerTweedy
7 hours ago, ethan14 said:

My son is doing it in a few weeks. Paid the money but 300 is a bit extreme I thought. 6x his season ticket cost

They should definitely up the price of season tickets for kids then, to bring down that price differential!

Bazzas right boot
1 hour ago, Herbert said:

Would you not hold his hand?

I would ask Uche to hold the other one so I could get a swing. 

Great idea. 

Although watch, Big Ulche might swing you so hard you'd end up at ER. 

Bazzas right boot
3 minutes ago, FarmerTweedy said:

They should definitely up the price of season tickets for kids then, to bring down that price differential!

My first thought, make the St £100, then it's only 3x?

Problem solved. 

highlandjambo3
8 minutes ago, primrose said:

• Mascots Tour
  • Full matchday kit 
  • Matchday tickets in the main stand for each mascot and 2 guests, at least one must be a parent / guardian
    Kiosk vouchers
  • Stadium announcement

I thought so........did this for my granddaughter couple years back V’s Cally......think we won 4 or 5-1....... got food as well.  Organisers put a lot of effort into the experience 

I agree with those who suggest that the best way to go, if the club wants to make money off this, would be a mix of paying mascots and those meriting the possibility of free mascot positions through being in Junior Jambos. However, I would prefer personally that the club find some way to make it free to all - it just doesn't sit right with me that we are charging for this.

In saying that, to the reporter who came up with this story in the week before the Rangers game:

:trippin::getout:

Lord Beni of Gorgie

Only in my view it makes sense. 

A transparent process. 1 pound a day in a jar for less than a year. 2 pints a week or a packet of cigarettes or a weekly 10 quid fourfold. 

I would give those up for a wee bit if it was my kids desire. Birthday or Christmas present never to forget. 

I know it's not easy for everyone but at least this way you pay your cash you guarantee that day of joy

2 hours ago, Peebo said:

Already thought of that. £5 for adults, £1 for kids. 

Should make it £10 for adults and £5 for kids.

We're not a bl00dy charity, you know.

Think of the income streams!!

The Old Tolbooth

The thread title "What have we become?", seriously?

Talk about fanning the flames of the Weegie media who love to pour scorn over us every time we threaten their little duopoly! 

We haven't actually "BECOME" anything, we always have and always will be a football club who are run as a business, and by charging to become a mascot we're not any different from anyone else in a league where money is strangled to death by just 2 clubs, and everyone else has to figure out ways of making up for lost revenue when we're screwed over, if any clubs in the UK could afford to do it for nothing it's down South, but they charge more.....MUCH more than we do, go figure. 

51 minutes ago, Francis Albert said:

It would be nice it was free or part of some rewards scheme for kids, though of course the latter would in practice be another means of paying.

The numbers involved are small so any arrangement would be highly selective one way or another.

And while "unfair" in a sense, it is also unfair that some kids get a new smart phone every year and others don't. If they or their parents choose to forego the new smartphone one year for this "special day" why shouldn't they have that option?

In any event I hope that these kids lives are not so impoverished that it remains forever "the experience of a lifetime".

While on the subject of child experiences, Scott Wilson always used to introduce the half time lap of honour after the HT kickabouts (which of course involve much bigger numbers) by saying it was the part the youngsters always enjoyed most. I noticed on Saturday that they were just sent straight back to the Wheatfield/Roseburn corner to take their seats. Why?

I noticed that, for the first time, as well. 

34 minutes ago, primrose said:

• Mascots Tour
  • Full matchday kit 
    Kiosk vouchers
  • Stadium announcement

And Hearts are only actually charging £250. HMRC get £50...the heartless sods. ?

3 hours ago, Nookie Bear said:

Should we charge a few quid for the Family Fun Days? 

Income stream etc etc

3 hours ago, Peebo said:

Already thought of that. £5 for adults, £1 for kids. 

I thought we already do charge and it's £10 and £5.

25 minutes ago, Nookie Bear said:

Should make it £10 for adults and £5 for kids.

We're not a bl00dy charity, you know.

Think of the income streams!!

See post above this one.

Edited by graygo

36 minutes ago, graygo said:

I thought we already do charge and it's £10 and £5.

It was £5 adults and £1 for kids at the most recent one...

2 hours ago, Rudolf said:

I was charged for my beers in Eighteen 74, couldn't believe it.

I bet those b.astard.s in the food kiosks wanted to charge you for a pie as well? Disgusting behaviour imo and quite frankly Hibs Class 

13 hours ago, Heartsofgold said:

Don't see the problem myself.  The clubs are a business and this is a revenue stream.

The Huns and Tims have been doing this much longer than us. 

I recall when I was much younger as a wind up I contacted rangers and celtic to request a mascot pack for a hibby mate who stayed 5 minutes down the road. Even in the eighties it would have cost fifty odd squid. Politely refused by end of the conversation.

So in today's money imho I think what we charge is reasonable.

Unknown user

I don't think it's that big a deal, but if it really is about maximising all income streams, I can't help wondering why we charge for this but don't have things like sponsors on our shorts or the back of our kits, things which would bring in more money. 

At the end of the day I can see all sides of this debate, but I think in an ideal world it'd be nice if we could get one of the mascot places sponsored for each match so a kid from a less privileged background, or maybe from the sick kids or something can experience it too. 

14 hours ago, Heartsofgold said:

Don't see the problem myself.  The clubs are a business and this is a revenue stream.

:munny:

Bazzas right boot
47 minutes ago, SE16 3LN said:

I'm surprised Aberdeen aren't fleecing the kids

Na, that would be baaaad. 

Bazzas right boot
2 hours ago, primrose said:

• Mascots Tour
  • Full matchday kit 
    Kiosk vouchers
  • Stadium announcement

Should be more. If you can afford £300, you can afford £375.?

2 hours ago, primrose said:

• Mascots Tour
  • Full matchday kit 
    Kiosk vouchers
  • Stadium announcement

I'm having some of this for my grandson, unfortunately, he is only 2 years old at the moment and I think it starts from age 5

Everybody Loves Baz!
13 hours ago, davemclaren said:

Not everyone can afford hospitality or strips or whatever. There's quite a lot of unfairness around. 

Aye, but then Mitch couldnae bitch about every single thing bad Hearts are doing though.....

On second thoughts????

14 hours ago, cocobeab said:

Of all the superb initiatives happening at Tynecastle and beyond, orchestrated by our club and it’s leadership (Big Hearts, living wage, Save the Children, Syrian refugees etc) the Record have excelled themselves finding a bad press angle. Seven days til Ibroke and so it begins 

totally mate.  surprised anyone is surprised by adverse comment from that pile of loo paper  in a week we are playing through there.

plenty more to come I feel.

This thread reeks of journalist causing bother week before Ibrox.  The start of many negative stories this week and before the LC Semi.  Ignore it.

38 minutes ago, BelgeJambo said:

I'm having some of this for my grandson, unfortunately, he is only 2 years old at the moment and I think it starts from age 5

Exactly .... treat it as a one off for a special occasion, Christmas, Birthday or as a well done. How often do families ask what do the kids want for birthdays etc?  

Now Hibs are cheaper.

But they are Hibs.