What have we become...charging to be a mascot ( edited )

Anderson5

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Bazzas right boot

• luckyBatistuta

• Nookie Bear

• graygo

I have young kids that would love to do this but I don't have an issue with the charge. I can't justify paying it and won't but it's not something any kid/parent should feel entitled to.

The club provide plenty opportunities to meet the players at the fun days and Junior Jambo activities all at a very reasonable price.

The mascot concept is another thing and I'm happy for demand to dictate the price. I simply told my kids it's something we cant afford.

2 minutes ago, Heartsofgold said:

Don't see the problem myself.  The clubs are a business and this is a revenue stream.

I’d like to see us approach a “big team” mentality such as Celtic, Rangers and Aberdeen and reward our young fans as opposed to making it an elitist occasion. 

How many clubs in england’s top flight do you think charge to walk out with their heroes?

I don't think the parents of kids should be charged for this. We should be doing everything we can to encourage kids to get involved in football and be enthusiastic about supporting Hearts and restricting a large part of our young support from the opportunity to do this, for example, goes against that philosophy. There will be a lot of parents in our fanbase who simply cannot afford this and that's why I think it's unfair.

luckyBatistuta

Any chance to put the boot in to Hearts. First picture is of us, there’s a shock. Kids also get a strip at Tynecastle. It is expensive, but you don’t have to pay it if you don’t want to. It actually gives your kids a better chance at doing it. 

Sensationalist journalism. What exactly do you get for each package and how do they compare?. While I agree being a mascot should be free there are clearly people wiling to pay for what these clubs are offering. Funny how hearts are highlighted in this despite not charging the most. Top of the league so any media story to try and target us! 

luckyBatistuta
1 minute ago, Anderson5 said:

I’d like to see us approach a “big team” mentality such as Celtic, Rangers and Aberdeen and reward our young fans as opposed to making it an elitist occasion. 

How many clubs in england’s top flight do you think charge to walk out with their heroes?

Your kid might never get the opportunity then. This means you can if you really want to.

3 minutes ago, Anderson5 said:

Most of them!! 

jamboinglasgow

Clubs have been doing this for decades, why has it suddenly become a story.

2 minutes ago, Anderson5 said:

Well a quick glance showed Everton charge £600 plus VAT. in 2014 about half the Premier league charged (which Everton has since started doing.)

luckyBatistuta
1 minute ago, hmfc1984 said:

Sensationalist journalism. What exactly do you get for each package and how do they compare?. While I agree being a mascot should be free there are clearly people wiling to pay for what these clubs are offering. Funny how hearts are highlighted in this despite not charging the most. Top of the league so any media story to try and target us! 

Exactly, It is a sly dig at Hearts, main picture and price is of us, even though we are not the most expensive. There is a lot more involved than your kid just walking on the pitch for your money.

5 minutes ago, Anderson5 said:

A few seconds on google suggests more than half of them do...

Of all the superb initiatives happening at Tynecastle and beyond, orchestrated by our club and it’s leadership (Big Hearts, living wage, Save the Children, Syrian refugees etc) the Record have excelled themselves finding a bad press angle. Seven days til Ibroke and so it begins 

What a load of shite. It’s a full match day experience, with multiplied tickets, full strip and other stuff thrown in.

Why should it be free? I could afford it but won’t be spending £300 on that for my kid. Absolutely no problem if others want to, though. If others can’t afford it, so be it. Don’t see why it should be free. Tickets for kids are extremely cheap to go to the games, and the club does more than enough stuff to encourage young fans, and to help the community. 

7 minutes ago, Anderson5 said:

A few actually.  Barclays Bank used to pay for it, may still do.

Newscastle were one of the clubs I know were involved.

I have some sympathy with the concerns about denying some kids the opportunity to be a mascot due to lack of funds....but at the same time undertand how much the  club provide as part of the mascot experience. 

Perhaps a draw could take place, say around Christmas to give a free opportunity to a member of the Junior Jambos?

The journalist has done what all people do when they want to make a preconceived point. They take the evidence that fits their view and fail to mention the detail. 

luckyBatistuta
2 minutes ago, Peebo said:

What a load of shite. It’s a full match day experience, with multiplied tickets, full strip and other stuff thrown in.

Why should it be free? I could afford it but won’t be spending £300 on that for my kid. Absolutely no problem if others want to, though. If others can’t afford it, so be it. Don’t see why it should be free. Tickets for kids are extremely cheap to go to the games, and the club does more than enough stuff to encourage young fans, and to help the community. 

‘This is the point I was making, way more to it than your kid walking out with the team. This has also been the case for quite a while now, strange it pops up now after rangers lose and Hearts are flying high ?

6 minutes ago, Jambos_1874 said:

I don't think the parents of kids should be charged for this. We should be doing everything we can to encourage kids to get involved in football and be enthusiastic about supporting Hearts and restricting a large part of our young support from the opportunity to do this, for example, goes against that philosophy. There will be a lot of parents in our fanbase who simply cannot afford this and that's why I think it's unfair.

TBH for the peanuts it brings in.

Would be good if it was drawn from current  kids season ticket holders.

If there drawn out the hat,give them and there family a day out to remember at the clubs expense.

Not the other way round.

The goodwill generated is worth far more than a few hundred pound from those parents who probably cant afford it anway.

For the amount of money it brings in, I can't say I'm a big fan of making this something not everyone can afford. If it was huge profits I could grudgingly accept it, but it seems to send out the wrong message for a community club. 

I'd rather see the whole mascot thing up for sponsorship with members of the kids' club in free draws to get the chance if it's possible, it just doesn't seem fair to make the kids side of thing beyond the less well off.

I do wonder how kid friendly we are in general, I had a look on the official website there and see no mention of kids initiatives, no kid friendly parts of the site. Maybe we could have wee Hearts jigsaws or simple games or something on there, maybe they could qualify you for entry to the mascot draw.

There's no reason to be overly dramatic about the situation, negative stories are to be expected when we're top of the league, but I'm not a fan.

17 minutes ago, Anderson5 said:

When Hearts are paid nearly £200 million a year for TV rights, then we can be magnanimous and drop the charge.

3 minutes ago, Peebo said:

Yeah just did a quick calculation....full kids kit £70, Match tickets 2 x adults, 1 x kid £75, stadium tour for all £26, plus kiosk vouchers, programme, etc. for all...not far shy off £200...stuff that most parents are already forking out for...

so that’s about £100 for all the “experience” parts of the day...

24 minutes ago, Heartsofgold said:

Don't see the problem myself.  The clubs are a business and this is a revenue stream.

If you are a single parent on a low wage or on a benefit  what chance do you have of having your Hearts daft child being a mascot. Answer NONE.

You don't see a problem and that tells me what you are all about. Money !

luckyBatistuta
Just now, WeeChuck'sHeed said:

Can adults do this? ?

Full strip, walking out holding soapy 's hand ?

Not weird at all. ?

Not weird at all mate, go for it :look:

Non story. Sunday night and already the nonsense ahead of a trip to ibrox has started. No surprise it's the daily record that are first up.

I wonder what The Sun will come up with. Their attempt to soften up Livingston with stories during the week never worked so they'll be doubling efforts for us.

P.s. is excluding non season ticket holders, as suggested, not also excluding many kids for a number of reasons. 

Just now, mitch41 said:

If you are a single parent on a low wage or on a benefit  what chance do you have of having your Hearts daft child being a mascot. Answer NONE.

If you’re a single parent on a low income, there are probably more important priorities than whether or not your kid can be a mascot at a Hearts game. 

I paid for my laddie to be a mascot when we horsed Motherwell a couple of seasons back. For me, despite being expensive, it was worth every penny. It was his Christmas present and it's something he'll always remember. No problem with charging in my book. 

luckyBatistuta
1 minute ago, mitch41 said:

A lot more chance than you would if it was free, that’s for sure. It could take your kid all their years as a child to try and get drawn or picked off a list if it was free and still possibly not get a chance. Surely it’s possible to save £300 to guarantee this before your child becomes an adult.

Although I’ve heard you can maybe still do this as an adult ?

5 minutes ago, mitch41 said:

Not everyone can afford hospitality or strips or whatever. There's quite a lot of unfairness around. 

luckyBatistuta
6 minutes ago, Super T said:

Non story. Sunday night and already the nonsense ahead of a trip to ibrox has started. No surprise it's the daily record that are first up.

I wonder what The Sun will come up with. Their attempt to soften up Livingston with stories during the week never worked so they'll be doubling efforts for us.

P.s. is excluding non season ticket holders, as suggested, not also excluding many kids for a number of reasons. 

Some things just just never change 

5 minutes ago, Peebo said:

If you’re a single parent on a low income, there are probably more important priorities than whether or not your kid can be a mascot at a Hearts game. 

Yup

luckyBatistuta
1 minute ago, davemclaren said:

Not everyone can afford hospitality or strips or whatever. There's quite a lot of unfairness around. 

Can we have free hospitality then Dave, maybe a draw ?

12 minutes ago, mitch41 said:

if you're a single parent on a low wage or on benefits your child is always going to have to miss out on some stuff. 

Edited by Dinger

Bazzas right boot
5 minutes ago, mitch41 said:

Mmmmm. 

I'm a leftie but let me start. 

If you can't afford something, then tough titties. That is the world just now. 

I feel sorry for folk that can't afford food, meds, housing etc, but really can't argue for not being able to afford something that is so low down on the needs list it's not there. 

I can't afford a brand new ferrari, guess what-I bought something else. 

Hearts aren't here to solve the worlds problems or to be a charity. 

Having a go at Hearts for making money as a business is ridiculous. 

14 minutes ago, Peebo said:

Why?

Religion doesnt define you as a Hearts fan.

Why should money?

Every young Hearts fan deserves the same .

Edited by Tott

luckyBatistuta

I’ll bet most of the folk who complain about how unfair it is on their child, that they miss out on things such as this, have the latest mobile phones and smoke.

Brings in roughly £25k per season...the equivalent of almost 800 additional platinum seats sold on Saturday versus St Johnstone...

19 minutes ago, mitch41 said:

You know **** all about me pal and never will.  

Hearts are a business.  End of story.  Business need to MAKE MONEY TO EXIST.  If parents are willing and able to pay it then I have no problem with it.  Me myself?  I can't afford to pay the charge for my 2 but they are well enough educated by me and their mother to understand that things cost money.

I have mixed feelings about this one. I understand that the club is a business and this is a revenue stream, but being able to charge money doesn’t always mean that you should. We’re not a normal type of business and I don’t think you can (or should) always exploit every single opportunity to wring cash out of people. 

I wish they still had some free places allocated through Junior Jambos or something. Charging for some and allocating others by membership draw would feel much less Scroogey. 

7 minutes ago, JamboGraham said:

Brings in roughly £25k per season...the equivalent of almost 800 additional platinum seats sold on Saturday versus St Johnstone...

How many macots are there per game ?

My son was a mascot couple of years ago and paid not far off £300. He loved it as was special birthday. Anyway my point is that one of the kids who was also mascot was picked through junior jambos. So he paid £15 for the year for all the kids stuff hearts do and a chance to be mascot. So there is a chance for wee jambos to be picked. I am sure 4 or 5 slots at time could be paid for and 1 if not 2 were free as long as you were picked through raffle as being a junior jambo.

So yes money can guarantee you this but  some hope for people who don't pay or cannot afford too.

https://www.heartsfc.co.uk/more/key-links/junior-jambos

2 minutes ago, redm said:

I have mixed feelings about this one. I understand that the club is a business and this is a revenue stream, but being able to charge money doesn’t always mean that you should. We’re not a normal type of business and I don’t think you can (or should) always exploit every single opportunity to wring cash out of people. 

I wish they still had some free places allocated through Junior Jambos or something. Charging for some and allocating others by membership draw would feel much less Scroogey. 

What's the sociodemographic profile of Junior Jambos members? ?

In reality that wouldn't ensure kids from poorer families got to attend. Possibly something via Big Hearts or similar would be better. 

4 minutes ago, Heartsofgold said:

You know **** all about me pal and never will.  

Hearts are a business.  End of story.  Business need to MAKE MONEY TO EXIST.  If parents are willing and able to pay it then I have no problem with it.  Me myself?  I can't afford to pay the charge for my 2 but they are well enough educated by me and their mother to understand that things cost money.

It seems a curious one to me. There are a lot of clubs who don't charge so it's obviously possible, and we don't choose to monetise everything, so it seems strange we'd be so capitalist about this one. There's no second sponsor on the back of our strips, nothing even on the front of the third kit, so if it's about the money wouldn't it be better to utilise those?

I'm not that offended but I'd probably like to see a change, maybe one prize draw winner per game alongside the paid ones.

2 minutes ago, Jambo Spartan said:

My son was a mascot couple of years ago and paid not far off £300. He loved it as was special birthday. Anyway my point is that one of the kids who was also mascot was picked through junior jambos. So he paid £15 for the year for all the kids stuff hearts do and a chance to be mascot. So there is a chance for wee jambos to be picked. I am sure 4 or 5 slots at time could be paid for and 1 if not 2 were free as long as you were picked through raffle as being a junior jambo.

So yes money can guarantee you this but  some hope for people who don't pay or cannot afford too.

https://www.heartsfc.co.uk/more/key-links/junior-jambos

Magic, that's pretty much exactly what I was getting at above, thanks for confirming

57 minutes ago, Anderson5 said:

Just had a little look.  Spurs charge between £280 - £405 plus VAT depending on the catagory of the game.

58 minutes ago, Anderson5 said:

Aye cos England's premiership teams are toiling fer dough right enough.

Anyway aye 300 is too much for some but not all.

So on that I'd say that alternate weeks should see young st holdersbe chosen at random.

But over all I'm suspicious of this story and your posts.