What have we become...charging to be a mascot ( edited )

Anderson5

10 minutes ago, Tott said:

How many macots are there per game ?

I based my calculation on 4, that seems to be about the average each week.

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Bazzas right boot

• luckyBatistuta

• Nookie Bear

• graygo

I think the pricing is nuts, elitist, and not in keeping with the ethos of the club as it is now.

I did however win, through kickback, a mascot day for our oldest. A great day, well looked after, free strip and tickets, and all the rest.  Players we met (and manager) couldn’t have been nicer or more accommodating. 

Have to to admit that when I looked up the mascot day on the website to see what it entailed, I was shocked at the price. No way could I afford that. 

28 minutes ago, JamboGraham said:

I based my calculation on 4, that seems to be about the average each week.

TBF usually just manage to see kick off,so no idea how many mascots we have.

Thought it would just be one.

However,shouldnt just be open to those who have.

Modern football is bad enough ,without us adding to it.

2 hours ago, redm said:

I have mixed feelings about this one. I understand that the club is a business and this is a revenue stream, but being able to charge money doesn’t always mean that you should. We’re not a normal type of business and I don’t think you can (or should) always exploit every single opportunity to wring cash out of people. 

I wish they still had some free places allocated through Junior Jambos or something. Charging for some and allocating others by membership draw would feel much less Scroogey. 

"I've got a kid who will want to be a mascot in a few years and I'm not paying for it"  type post imo.  ;) 

3 hours ago, WeeChuck'sHeed said:

Can adults do this? ?

Full strip, walking out holding soapy 's hand ?

Not weird at all. ?

Exactly what I was thinking.  These prices seem extortionate to me but I could afford it as I dont have children to support these days or masses of debts.

Love to see Soapy's face when he's told I'm the mascot for the day.  Might ask if I can sit on his knee.

This was discussed on here a while back..

Someone broke it down with the strip, hospitality seats for the kid plus two adults if i remember correctly. It actually worked out that it was close to the actual cost price..

We could always have 3 paying mascots plus 1 non paying mascot.. However the non paying mascot wouldn't get the strip and of course their parents/guardians would need to buy a ticket for the game so they could join their kid on the day.. people would still complain though.. "I don't want to pay but I want all the best stuff" 

queensferryjambo
4 hours ago, Anderson5 said:

Hardly disgusting.

First up the kids don't actually pay out of their pocket money. Ann Budge is hardly smashing open their piggy banks at gun point.

Second no non paying mascots miss out. Hearts also have kids who are drawn out the hat from junior jambos. The kids who's parents pay money to club are extra mascots hence you never see just one mascot at games nowadays.

Third for a day out experience like this the pricing is IMO excellent. The parents pay for it and get a bloody good day out for it. You get 2 adult tickets, one child ticket in great seats £75 a full team kit £65 (which parents would generally shell out for anyway) a full stadium tour which would cost £36. You go in the dressing rooms, meet the players, get your photos taken on the pitch with the players, a DVD with a film of the photos and the child's favourite player giving them a personalised thank you video & a fully signed programme, kids names in the programme and your kids photo in the programme - you also have your kids photos on the pitch in the next weeks programme. You lead the team onto the pitch with the captain. BARGAIN!

Fourth most other clubs do the exact same just with differing packages. I would also suggest Rangers and Celtic don't do it as they would have thousands of applicants wanting to pay and have to turn them away causing bad feeling from the people wanting to throw their giros at the club.

I am very suspicious of this article with a big dig at Hearts and a big Hearts photo right at the top. Considering this is something that has gone on for at least a decade with multiple clubs not sure why it is news this week.

4 minutes ago, ethan14 said:

My son is doing it in a few weeks. Paid the money but 300 is a bit extreme I thought. 6x his season ticket cost

I don't think you should have to pay for another ticket if you already have a season ticket. Meet the players, walk out and back to your seats. Strips purchased long ago. 

John Gentleman
3 hours ago, tamflogel said:

I think the pricing is nuts, elitist, and not in keeping with the ethos of the club as it is now.

I did however win, through kickback, a mascot day for our oldest. A great day, well looked after, free strip and tickets, and all the rest.  Players we met (and manager) couldn’t have been nicer or more accommodating. 

Have to to admit that when I looked up the mascot day on the website to see what it entailed, I was shocked at the price. No way could I afford that. 

As it should be, IMHO. I'm uncomfortable with the whole idea of monetising it.

Given the club culture, enthusiastically espoused by Ms Budge among others, we should be setting the example, not following the bad examples set by others. I don't agree with 'add-ons' to parents though; this should be purely about the bairns – giving them a cherished memory that they can look back on in the knowledge that their experience wasn't 'bought' by Mummy and Daddy who just happened to be minted. 

48 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

I don't think you should have to pay for another ticket if you already have a season ticket. Meet the players, walk out and back to your seats. Strips purchased long ago. 

Yep he's got the strips and we all have tickets. Also it's not like back in the day when it was one or two mascots, there's about 8 at a time so dilutes it a bit for the kids in my opinion 

fabienleclerq

I want to do this for the wee man when he is a bit older. If we didn't charge for it and it was purely a draw chances are he would never get to do it. I work hard and if I want to provide him with an experience like that should I not have the opportunity? 

Seymour M Hersh
7 hours ago, WeeChuck'sHeed said:

Can adults do this? ?

Full strip, walking out holding soapy 's hand ?

Not weird at all. ?

At my FoH plot ceremony I asked AB if this was a possibility (not for myself I hasten to add) and it is something the club are considering as a few others have suggested/requested it. 

Seymour M Hersh
3 hours ago, queensferryjambo said:

Hardly disgusting.

First up the kids don't actually pay out of their pocket money. Ann Budge is hardly smashing open their piggy banks at gun point.

Second no non paying mascots miss out. Hearts also have kids who are drawn out the hat from junior jambos. The kids who's parents pay money to club are extra mascots hence you never see just one mascot at games nowadays.

Third for a day out experience like this the pricing is IMO excellent. The parents pay for it and get a bloody good day out for it. You get 2 adult tickets, one child ticket in great seats £75 a full team kit £65 (which parents would generally shell out for anyway) a full stadium tour which would cost £36. You go in the dressing rooms, meet the players, get your photos taken on the pitch with the players, a DVD with a film of the photos and the child's favourite player giving them a personalised thank you video & a fully signed programme, kids names in the programme and your kids photo in the programme - you also have your kids photos on the pitch in the next weeks programme. You lead the team onto the pitch with the captain. BARGAIN!

Fourth most other clubs do the exact same just with differing packages. I would also suggest Rangers and Celtic don't do it as they would have thousands of applicants wanting to pay and have to turn them away causing bad feeling from the people wanting to throw their giros at the club.

I am very suspicious of this article with a big dig at Hearts and a big Hearts photo right at the top. Considering this is something that has gone on for at least a decade with multiple clubs not sure why it is news this week.

Excellent post although to see the reason for the article you only have to think who we play next Sunday at mordor! 

7 hours ago, Tott said:

Why?

Religion doesnt define you as a Hearts fan.

Why should money?

Every young Hearts fan deserves the same .

Being a mascot doesn’t define you as a Hearts fan, either. 

And how could every young Hearts fan possibly be a mascot? Could every young Hearts fan afford a full strip? 

Life is not fair. Not every gets the same opportunities. Being a mascot for your team is not something everyone is going to have the right to experience. 

I’m sure that being a mascot is a wonderful experience for a child (and their family...). But there will be a long, long list of things that will have a more positive impact on their development. And many of them will be free. 

7 hours ago, Peebo said:

What a load of shite. It’s a full match day experience, with multiplied tickets, full strip and other stuff thrown in.

Why should it be free? I could afford it but won’t be spending £300 on that for my kid. Absolutely no problem if others want to, though. If others can’t afford it, so be it. Don’t see why it should be free. Tickets for kids are extremely cheap to go to the games, and the club does more than enough stuff to encourage young fans, and to help the community. 

Muchos agree

Maybe the answer here is essentially a 'tiered' mascot package depending on what level of experience you want for your kid?

- Gold Package @ £300 covering everything that's currently included. ie the full shebang.

- Silver package @ £200 covering everything except maybe the kit for the child and the matchday programme / vouchers

- Bronze package @ £100 basically just covering the entry tickets and walk out experience.

(disclaimer, haven't really thought the prices / content of each package through in absolute detail before someone picks apart the differences between what you get for silver against bronze etc - you get the idea, that's all I was intending)

Or if none of those suit peoples individual circumstances, maybe you have a 'build your own' package which has a base price and you then add your extra's - kit, match day tickets, photos, DVD, etc depending on which parts you want.

The annoying thing is though, you could go to all this hassle of offering folk as many options as possible and there will still be someone somewhere who will complain because it doesn't suit them or their budget personally.

Selkirkhmfc1874

Actually think it's good value when you take everything you get into consideration , it be Xmas present for my 2 boys this year 

Brian Fantana
3 hours ago, ri Alban said:

It's my laddie's birthday on the day of the Kilmarnock game, so I emailed the club to ask if they offered any kind of discount if you already have tickets and a kit for the child.

They came back pretty quickly to confirm that there are no discounts offered. I suspect this is why a number of mascots end up with the away kit on, already own their home kit. 

3 hours ago, queensferryjambo said:

Hardly disgusting.

Absolutely.   You are not paying just to be a mascot.  You are paying for a whole lot more.  

All these other ‘free’ mascot places are not free, when you add the cost of the full strip, the extra match tickets, and any food and drink that you may want.    You also will not get all the extra stuff.  

The Internet
7 hours ago, mitch41 said:

If you are a single parent on a low wage or on a benefit  what chance do you have of having your Hearts daft child being a mascot. Answer NONE.

You don't see a problem and that tells me what you are all about. Money !

That is the biggest concern for low income single parents definitely. 

8 hours ago, cocobeab said:

Of all the superb initiatives happening at Tynecastle and beyond, orchestrated by our club and it’s leadership (Big Hearts, living wage, Save the Children, Syrian refugees etc) the Record have excelled themselves finding a bad press angle. Seven days til Ibroke and so it begins 

So, amongst all those great initiatives, why do we charge for this?

Surely it shouldn’t be too hard to draw names from a hat amongst the Tynie Tigers (is that still a thing?)

Bazzas right boot
1 hour ago, Seymour M Hersh said:

At my FoH plot ceremony I asked AB if this was a possibility (not for myself I hasten to add) and it is something the club are considering as a few others have suggested/requested it. 

Even the holding hands part? ?

Edited by WeeChuck'sHeed

Bazzas right boot
5 hours ago, Kiwidoug said:

Exactly what I was thinking.  These prices seem extortionate to me but I could afford it as I dont have children to support these days or masses of debts.

Love to see Soapy's face when he's told I'm the mascot for the day.  Might ask if I can sit on his knee.

Sit on his knee ?

Imagine his face as you try to grab his hand, all cheesin' in that. 

Bazzas right boot
9 minutes ago, Nookie Bear said:

Surely it shouldn’t be too hard to draw names from a hat amongst the Tynie Tigers (is that still a thing?)

Drawing names from a hat is worse than paying, total lottery and down to luck. 

I'd also be Suprised if we don't have some free spaces over a season. 

Most kids get £300 spent on them at Xmas, even the relatively low income family's. Ps4 v mascot, wee Johnny will choose the Ps4, unfortunately, as in life not everyone gets everything. 

If a family is that poor that they never have £300, a match day experience will be low on the priority agenda, and if not it really should be. Harsh but a reality. 

16 minutes ago, WeeChuck'sHeed said:

Drawing names from a hat is worse than paying, total lottery and down to luck. 

I'd also be Suprised if we don't have some free spaces over a season. 

Most kids get £300 spent on them at Xmas, even the relatively low income family's. Ps4 v mascot, wee Johnny will choose the Ps4, unfortunately, as in life not everyone gets everything. 

If a family is that poor that they never have £300, a match day experience will be low on the priority agenda, and if not it really should be. Harsh but a reality. 

Yeah fair enough, and football isn’t really for low income families anymore anyway. 

Its a stretch for a lot of middle income families as well who prioritise other things over football. Such is life these days. 

Edited by Nookie Bear

9 hours ago, Anderson5 said:

I’d like to see us approach a “big team” mentality such as Celtic, Rangers and Aberdeen and reward our young fans as opposed to making it an elitist occasion. 

How many clubs in england’s top flight do you think charge to walk out with their heroes?

West Ham charge hundreds 

If you smoke 20/day that’s not far short of £300 a month.

10 pints a week is £300 after a couple of months.

People have choices what to spend their money on.

54 minutes ago, Nookie Bear said:

Junior Jambos. They do have competitions to win the mascot experience. 

I'm going to get it for my wee boy when he's a bit older and won't tear off and run round the pitch. £300 isnt much for what you get. As pointed out the strip,tickets, tour round tynecastle all cost the club. Were not a charity and we already do more than most clubs for the community. I'm happy to pay it as a one off to give my boy the memories and practice of leading the team out at tynecastle.

I hope the adult mascot becomes a thing I would love to do it. I bet souttars hands are as soft as velvet. 

Glamorgan Jambo

You'd almost think the Daily Record was having a pop at their favourite team's next opponents. 

PS I'm sure we do way more for families and kids than either of the Glasgow clubs. 

11 minutes ago, Nookie Bear said:

Should we charge a few quid for the Family Fun Days? 

Income stream etc etc

Already thought of that. £5 for adults, £1 for kids. 

Bazzas right boot
36 minutes ago, Nookie Bear said:

Yeah fair enough, and football isn’t really for low income families anymore anyway. 

Its a stretch for a lot of middle income families as well who prioritise other things over football. Such is life these days. 

Yeah, it is shite. 

Tbh £300 is a tad high imo, but as In life not everyone can afford everything. 

I'm a leftie, but my wife is in social work and many of the families she "helps" have more electronic stuff than us, pets and do things like smoke. But can't afford clothes ?

Folk do need to prioritise and if one is a low income family this must be low down on the priority list, whether the cost is £300,£1000 or £50.

Bazzas right boot
8 minutes ago, Barack said:

Hopefully we start losing soon. Shit like this thread will become an irrelevance again. Folk can get back to laying into Hearts on a more serious note.

Silver lining. 

It's unbelievable the length that some will go to have a blast at the club. 

Almost like they research this stuff. 

Bazzas right boot
17 minutes ago, Herbert said:

I'm going to get it for my wee boy when he's a bit older and won't tear off and run round the pitch. £300 isnt much for what you get. As pointed out the strip,tickets, tour round tynecastle all cost the club. Were not a charity and we already do more than most clubs for the community. I'm happy to pay it as a one off to give my boy the memories and practice of leading the team out at tynecastle.

I hope the adult mascot becomes a thing I would love to do it. I bet souttars hands are as soft as velvet. 

Jesus, hope Souttar isn't reading this thread, he'll be handing in transfer request. ?

doctor jambo

The £300 is probably fair enough.

It all goes into the general pot and may help keep the cost of childrens tickets for the games down.

I'm sure there are many out there who would love their kids to attend Hearts games but cannot afford to

Don't have a problem with it as long as some tickets are made available in draws and so on. Based on the posts above that seems to be the case.

Unknown user

I think a lot of people have missed the post that confirms we do have a good compromise in place, that one of the mascots each game is the winner of a free Junior Jambos draw, the others are paid. 

Alex Kintner

Went into the club store on Saturday before the match to get a home strip for my nephew. Got stopped by security on the way out asking if I had paid for it.

Pay for it...He’s a kid FFS! Disgusting! ?

The Real Maroonblood
8 minutes ago, Frank1874 said:

Went into the club store on Saturday before the match to get a home strip for my nephew. Got stopped by security on the way out asking if I had paid for it.

Pay for it...He’s a kid FFS! Disgusting! ?

Maybe you looked suspicious.