Champions League 2018/19

Morgan

Sexton Hardcastle
4 hours ago, chester copperpot said:

I know theres contracts with the stadium at the start of the competition and stuff but I've never understood why UEFA doesn't change the venue when its 2 teams from the same country that get through to the final.

Why have it thousands of miles away meaning massive expense and hassles to the fans when they could hold the final at a stadium with 23k bigger a capacity in both teams home country.

That seems absolutely ludicrous to me. I guess UEFA doesn't give a shiny shite about the average fan though.

Don’t quite think you could wait until 3 weeks before a final and hope a national/major stadium is sitting free to book for a major final and all the infrastructure that goes with it. Bonkers idea.

• Replies 3.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mikey1874

• Morgan

• CJGJ

• The Internet

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Geoff the Mince
9 minutes ago, Olly Lee's left boot said:

Unsure of the relevance. 

No one is bigging up the Scottish teams or Hearts. 

It's hardly bigging them up when they're both in the final .

Bazzas right boot
Just now, Geoff the Mince said:

It's hardly bigging them up when they're both in the final .

Point missed, bit nvm. 

I don't really care. 

Hopefully a good final. 

hmfc_liam06
11 minutes ago, Sexton Hardcastle said:

Don’t quite think you could wait until 3 weeks before a final and hope a national/major stadium is sitting free to book for a major final and all the infrastructure that goes with it. Bonkers idea.

Exactly.

What next, wait until the World Cup teams are determined and work out which country works best for all teams? :lol:

maroonnicky63
1 hour ago, The Treasurer said:

We've now got to suffer the next few weeks of the English media creaming themselves about 2 teams from the "greatest league in the world" being in the final.

Will only be worse if Chelsea and Arsenal win tonight.

It would be no difference here if we had any teams still in Europe ( fat chance I know ) . I don’t mind any English  team doing well TBH, never really been anti English. The 2 games this week have been brilliant and although some on here  perhaps don’t see it but it is a top top league 

Calebs Grandad

Tottenham v Everton on Sunday. If I buy a ticket for this game will my 1 loyalty point guarantee me a ticket for Champions League Final?  ?

ArcticJambo
3 minutes ago, maroonnicky63 said:

It would be no difference here if we had any teams still in Europe ( fat chance I know ) . I don’t mind any English  team doing well TBH, never really been anti English. The 2 games this week have been brilliant and although some on here  perhaps don’t see it but it is a top top league 

Yes, of course it's a top league; the money involved is disgusting tbqh.

For all the talk of pennyless Spurs it was their squad that won it for them last night - Llorente/Moura.

Same for Liverpool the night before with Orighi/Wynaldum (sp.)

Another thing that struck me was that two possession-based passing teams in Barca and Ajax got done/dominated by midfields picking up the second ball.  In both games between Ajax/Spurs especially, the Ajax team looked absolutely clueless once Poch went for shelling the big Spaniard.

Knock them out their technical comfort zone and it's lights out.  It was only a matter of time before these great coaches married the best of both British & European games.

23 minutes ago, Olly Lee's left boot said:

Folk missing the point completely. 

No, I got the previous poster's point entirely. 

Jamhammer

It's been a tricky couple of days being a West Ham fan. Liverpool and now Spurs pulling off incredible wins to get themselves into the Champions League final. Both playing cracking football and both with managers I've got a lot of time for.

Can someone more intelligent than me find a word for the feeling you get when someone you despise does something successful?

I don't know who I want to win the final

Only joking, of course I do

Sexton Hardcastle
16 minutes ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

Exactly.

What next, wait until the World Cup teams are determined and work out which country works best for all teams? :lol:

Next they’ll be suggesting we hold all the Scottish cup competition finals in Glasgow as it benefits the two teams who make it to the final more often than not.

Bazzas right boot
1 minute ago, ArcticJambo said:

For all the talk of pennyless Spurs it was their squad that won it for them last night - Llorente/Moura.

Another thing that struck me was that two possession-based passing teams in Barca and Ajax got done/dominated by midfields picking up the second ball.  In both games between Ajax/Spurs especially, the Ajax team looked absolutely clueless once Poch went for shelling the big Spaniard.

Knock them out their technical comfort zone and it's lights out.  It was only a matter of time before these great coaches married the best of both British & European games.

Agree to an extent, especially with Barca. 

However, the Ajax game was 50/50 all the way through it. Don't think spurs style blitzed them, just a good game of football, missed chances, drama, last minute goal. 

Barca, have a few times been overran by direct, fast, pressing teams. 

Tactical ignorance is also a factor, with a 3-0 lead you'd defend and counter, Barca think they are too good for that, so play the same way as they always do. 

Just stupid. 

Klopps style has merit, especially when it works, it tends to work very well. 

Once their tales are up, it's fantastic to watch. 

However, with his style it tends to come undone if you  don't get ahead early and the game becomes a battle or bogged down. 

He might well win the league, but City with possession football are favourites and Barca pissed their league as well so possession football still has merit. 

132goals1958
5 minutes ago, maroonnicky63 said:

Me also. Whilst I have no allegiance outwith Hearts to any other team (don’t understand the concept of having an English team) I nevertheless lent my support to both Spurs and Liverpool over the last two nights. As for the final it will be a case of may the best team win. Thankfully both those sides progressed ahead of Manchester City as they are the one team I can’t somehow relate to.

Geoff the Mince
37 minutes ago, Olly Lee's left boot said:

Point missed, bit nvm. 

I don't really care. 

Hopefully a good final. 

:cornette:

Nookie Bear
50 minutes ago, Olly Lee's left boot said:

Unsure of the relevance. 

No one is bigging up the Scottish teams or Hearts. 

I am unsure too :lol:

Maybe I just feel it’s cheap to have a go at English clubs for importing talent when Scottish clubs do the same. It’s probablt worse when Scottish clubs do it because a lot of our imports are no better than our home grown talent. 

We also welcomed a foreign owner and were happy to spend Lithuanian money, without ever losing our Scottish identity. 

For a different thread methinks 

Edited by Nookie Bear

Nookie Bear
22 minutes ago, ArcticJambo said:

Good shout.

ArcticJambo
24 minutes ago, Olly Lee's left boot said:

Agree to an extent, especially with Barca. 

However, the Ajax game was 50/50 all the way through it. Don't think spurs style blitzed them, just a good game of football, missed chances, drama, last minute goal. 

Barca, have a few times been overran by direct, fast, pressing teams. 

Tactical ignorance is also a factor, with a 3-0 lead you'd defend and counter, Barca think they are too good for that, so play the same way as they always do. 

Just stupid. 

Klopps style has merit, especially when it works, it tends to work very well. 

Once their tales are up, it's fantastic to watch. 

However, with his style it tends to come undone if you  don't get ahead early and the game becomes a battle or bogged down. 

He might well win the league, but City with possession football are favourites and Barca pissed their league as well so possession football still has merit. 

What I meant was that once Poch went long ball (both games, second half) the Ajax players just couldn't handle the ball/spurs players coming onto them with speed.  Space opened up, whereas previously Son and Moura had great difficulty getting in behind or finding any real space as that Ajax system is set up to minimize the attacker's space (I think).  The ball and players started coming at them from places that were alien to them.  I suspect they just don't see that in Dutch football. 

You are right of course, it became a bit of a ding-dong battle 2nd half, and Spurs survived a post iirc and lloris saved them in added time too.

Really felt for them. :(

4 hours ago, Boris said:

Does this mean Arsenal are now in the CL next season?

If they win the Thursday night  cup they are in.

andsoitbegins

So the stadium will be only half full of people who actually have any emotional investment in the result (16k of each)?  Corporate sponsors out for a jolly.

The Old Tolbooth

Hats off to Spurs last night, that was even more dramatic than the Liverpool game the night before, talk about edge of the seat stuff! Ajax shot themselves in the foot and it was definitely down to inexperience as they hadn't a clue how to play out the 2nd half. 

I felt that the Ajax players were a bit arrogant coming out for the 2nd half though, some of them clearly singing "Don't worry, about a thing, cos every little thing, is gonna be alright", laughing and smiling, and thinking they were already in Madrid, they practically just wrote the Spurs team talk right there by doing that, I'd be raging if I was a Spurs player witnessing that and wanting to get fired right in about them, which the duly did! 

If the final was against Ajax I'd be very confident, I just don't think they'd live with Liverpool, and although they'd put up a good fight, I think experience would see Liverpool through fairly comfortably in the end, but against Spurs, it really is a toss of the coin final and it depends who shows up on the day, I'd make them 6/4 joint favourites for this one, it could be a cracker! 

The semi final allocation is a disgrace though, a stadium that holds 67,000 people, and both sides get 16,500 (approx) tickets each, an utter disgrace! 

Arthur Morgan
8 minutes ago, The Old Tolbooth said:

Hats off to Spurs last night, that was even more dramatic than the Liverpool game the night before, talk about edge of the seat stuff! Ajax shot themselves in the foot and it was definitely down to inexperience as they hadn't a clue how to play out the 2nd half. 

I felt that the Ajax players were a bit arrogant coming out for the 2nd half though, some of them clearly singing "Don't worry, about a thing, cos every little thing, is gonna be alright", laughing and smiling, and thinking they were already in Madrid, they practically just wrote the Spurs team talk right there by doing that, I'd be raging if I was a Spurs player witnessing that and wanting to get fired right in about them, which the duly did! 

If the final was against Ajax I'd be very confident, I just don't think they'd live with Liverpool, and although they'd put up a good fight, I think experience would see Liverpool through fairly comfortably in the end, but against Spurs, it really is a toss of the coin final and it depends who shows up on the day, I'd make them 6/4 joint favourites for this one, it could be a cracker! 

The semi final allocation is a disgrace though, a stadium that holds 67,000 people, and both sides get 16,500 (approx) tickets each, an utter disgrace! 

Apparently they do that every game, winning or losing.

N Lincs Jambo

Refrained from posting on this topic last night. Firstly two amazing games of football both of which had me on the edge of my seat and I was willing both Liverpool and Spurs on at every opportunity.

Now that I have metaphorically sobered up, can I point out that the Champions League Final will be contested between two teams who between them have gone 87 seasons without being their national champions (58 Spurs and 29 Liverpool).

16 of the 32 group stage spots are reserved for the top 4 teams in the 4 biggest leagues and the fact that Ajax, a team from outwith these 4 leagues, actually got as far as the semi final will become rarer as years go by.

The media were already talking about this season being a “once in a lifetime opportunity “ for Ajax as this team will be broken up and sold off. I haven’t checked where their star players are going but I would be very surprised if not to a team in those 4 leagues or possibly PSG for the money.

As for a once proud footballing country like Scotland, which for many years kicked well above its weight in European terms, we can only look on as our near neighbours have a party. Yeah we’re invited, grudgingly, but even if we have a ticket they still have a very strictly enforced door policy.

Me? I’ll look forward to a Hampden party on May 25th ?.

The Real Maroonblood
32 minutes ago, The Old Tolbooth said:

Re your last paragraph.

So that real supporters get tickets it would be fairer IMO to play the final over 2 legs.

vegas-voss

Two English teams in the final, will no doubt be a shit cagey affair now.

Two great semi finals though has to be said.First time in a long time that it's been a great to watch CL campaign.

Mr Elwood P
2 minutes ago, vegas-voss said:

Two English teams in the final, will no doubt be a shit cagey affair now.

Two great semi finals though has to be said.First time in a long time that it's been a great to watch CL campaign.

The last two or three Champions League campaigns have been exceptional. So many great comebacks and amazing moments of individual brilliance.

vegas-voss
17 minutes ago, N Lincs Jambo said:

Refrained from posting on this topic last night. Firstly two amazing games of football both of which had me on the edge of my seat and I was willing both Liverpool and Spurs on at every opportunity.

Now that I have metaphorically sobered up, can I point out that the Champions League Final will be contested between two teams who between them have gone 87 seasons without being their national champions (58 Spurs and 29 Liverpool).

16 of the 32 group stage spots are reserved for the top 4 teams in the 4 biggest leagues and the fact that Ajax, a team from outwith these 4 leagues, actually got as far as the semi final will become rarer as years go by.

The media were already talking about this season being a “once in a lifetime opportunity “ for Ajax as this team will be broken up and sold off. I haven’t checked where their star players are going but I would be very surprised if not to a team in those 4 leagues or possibly PSG for the money.

As for a once proud footballing country like Scotland, which for many years kicked well above its weight in European terms, we can only look on as our near neighbours have a party. Yeah we’re invited, grudgingly, but even if we have a ticket they still have a very strictly enforced door policy.

Me? I’ll look forward to a Hampden party on May 25th ?.

Ajax have already said the team won't be completely broken up and that only a couple will go.They got £80m for De Jong so are in no rush to sell anybody now.

2 hours ago, Boab said:

Big time !

The sponsors call the shots.

A despicable situation.

UEFA also have a fear of the English league being to powerful so they’re clearly making sure not too many of them get in next year. Under the old system (I think) there would be at least 6.....’champions’ league right enough!?!

steven_mck
1 hour ago, ArcticJambo said:

default_spoton.png.b342378ba1b79dc6b495cfd4418dafcf.png

Bring in top-level foreign coaches with huge transfer budgets to bring in technically top players. Marry that with the direct and fast-paced British style football and you get the better of the best technical, possession-based continental teams. 

Edited by steven_mck

vegas-voss
Just now, Mr Elwood P said:

The last two or three Champions League campaigns have been exceptional. So many great comebacks and amazing moments of individual brilliance.

I have been bored with it for a good while now.Have had more time to see this year's though so maybe that's why I just feel it's been better.I'll be honest Ajax stoked my interest again.

Bazzas right boot
2 hours ago, ArcticJambo said:

What I meant was that once Poch went long ball (both games, second half) the Ajax players just couldn't handle the ball/spurs players coming onto them with speed.  Space opened up, whereas previously Son and Moura had great difficulty getting in behind or finding any real space as that Ajax system is set up to minimize the attacker's space (I think).  The ball and players started coming at them from places that were alien to them.  I suspect they just don't see that in Dutch football. 

You are right of course, it became a bit of a ding-dong battle 2nd half, and Spurs survived a post iirc and lloris saved them in added time too.

Really felt for them. :(

All fair. 

Probably not allot of that football in Holland as you say. 

Bazzas right boot
3 hours ago, Nookie Bear said:

I am unsure too :lol:

Maybe I just feel it’s cheap to have a go at English clubs for importing talent when Scottish clubs do the same. It’s probablt worse when Scottish clubs do it because a lot of our imports are no better than our home grown talent. 

We also welcomed a foreign owner and were happy to spend Lithuanian money, without ever losing our Scottish identity. 

For a different thread methinks 

?

The Old Tolbooth
2 hours ago, Arthur Morgan said:

Apparently they do that every game, winning or losing.

Ah, I didn't realise that, I thought it was just an arrogance thing. 

Jambo-Jimbo

Anybody wanting to go to the Final better have deep pockets.

Easyjet flights from London or Liverpool on the Friday or Saturday will set you back £750 each way.

British Airways ain't much better with it costing £649 each way.

Even flying from Edinburgh is still going to cost you over £600 each way.

And even then trying to get a hotel in Madrid for the Friday and or Saturday night is going to set you back a couple of hundred pounds plus a night.

Then you have the small task of getting a ticket and god knows what that'll cost you.

Think I might watch it on the telly instead. ?

31 minutes ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

Easyjet flights from London or Liverpool on the Friday or Saturday will set you back £750 each way.

And even then trying to get a hotel in Madrid for the Friday and or Saturday night is going to set you back a couple of hundred pounds plus a night.

Then you have the small task of getting a ticket and god knows what that'll cost you.

just checked expedia edinburgh to madrid one night stay starting around £1500

Funny to think that Hearts have played both finalists,that ended on a draw at their own grounds ??

Mikey1874
12 minutes ago, rubyruby said:

Funny to think that Hearts have played both finalists,that ended on a draw at their own grounds ??

Well said.

Plenty for us to point to though a Cup win would help. 

1 hour ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

Unfortunately I was one of the unlucky winners in the Zavvi competition. Thought at first it was obviously scam but then started to get excited... Imagine what it must have been like to get email and be Spurs or Liverpool fan. https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-48215665

Jambo-Jimbo
1 hour ago, LeftBack said:

Unfortunately I was one of the unlucky winners in the Zavvi competition. Thought at first it was obviously scam but then started to get excited... Imagine what it must have been like to get email and be Spurs or Liverpool fan. https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-48215665

There's feck up's and there's feck up's, this belongs to the latter.

• 3 weeks later...

24 hours or so to go

For a few on here it will give them their last chance at a 'plastics' dig.  You know that the vast majority of them will watch the final lying through their teeth when asked if they did so . They'll even post on a thread even though they have no interest in it....they claim !!

It won't surprise many that I want Liverpool to win and expect them to do so...no point in sitting on the diplomatic fence as I'll be given pelters by some no matter what.

Have to say though I hope it is an attractive entertaining match as both sides try to play football in an attractive manner.

A repeat of the 2012 final result with Liverpool playing the Hearts role will do me. ?

Edited by CJGJ

Tottenham winning would be fantastic.

Outsiders really. Making more of a fairly limited squad. Sissoko, Rose, Llorente. 

Would encourage the rest, after Ajax too. 

The possibility of Harry Kane being available changes my thoughts on the Final.

Probably just want Liverpool to win. Mainly to see Robertson with the trophy. I like both managers though so won't mind either way.

Be a seriously sore one for Liverpool if they end this season with nothing. 

The Old Tolbooth

Off down to Liverpool in the morning by train for the final, really looking forward to soaking up the atmosphere down there and hopefully culminating in the parade on Sunday, but it's going to be one hell of a tough 90 minutes for sure as Spurs can beat anyone on their day and it really is a 50/50 game for me. 

The Real Maroonblood
5 minutes ago, The Old Tolbooth said:

Off down to Liverpool in the morning by train for the final, really looking forward to soaking up the atmosphere down there and hopefully culminating in the parade on Sunday, but it's going to be one hell of a tough 90 minutes for sure as Spurs can beat anyone on their day and it really is a 50/50 game for me. 

Have a great day.

Very difficult to predict. 

The Old Tolbooth
9 minutes ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

Have a great day.

Very difficult to predict. 

Cheers mate, I do think that if both sides turn up then Liverpool would edge it, but it's turning it on on the day that's the big thing.