Craig Wighton signs on 3yr deal (updated)

Vlad the impaler

4 minutes ago, HeartofHartley said:

Again, the patter you must have in person I'm sure leaves you with plenty of friends who similarly can't have a little joke now and then. So many stuck up imbeciles on here.

If the best chat you have is wife jokes i’d suggest your patter needs work.

• Replies 709
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• HeartofHartley

• rudi must stay

• Top Corner

• letsalldothebeattie

1 minute ago, Spellczech said:

It's like a new sort of ITKery!!!

The Dundee forums and ex Dundee players seem to have a very good opinion of him.

CloustonHMFC

I’ll won’t make a judgement on his suitability to Hearts until he’s had enough time to show us what he can do - and that doesn’t mean his first few appearances. 

Glad this boy has signed. Always rated him....

Seriously though. Money paid, 3 year deal. I hope we've found a gem here. 

Looking forward to seeing him in Maroon. 

Edited by Top Corner

HeartofHartley
1 minute ago, Jamboelite said:

If the best chat you have is wife jokes i’d suggest your patter needs work.

Who said that's the best?

Ohhhh argument derailed

So many holes in that logic.

been here before

Im not sure about this one, not sure at all. Perhaps its the gammy knee, perhaps its the 3 year contract, perhaps its not quite reaching his potential yet or perhaps its because I thought he was a defender, but Im just not getting the happy vibes here.

Obviously I hope Im wrong but the Spidey senses are just tingling a bit here.

Edited by been here before

1 hour ago, HeartofHartley said:

Now give me examples of players that never scored much in Scotland playing for a worse team that came to us and scored plenty...?

Look at your ****ing user name, for crying out loud man.

9 minutes ago, Spellczech said:

It's like a new sort of ITKery!!!

Wont catch on. Wild online assumption based on baseless wikipedia stats, carefully selected forum posts from previous club sites and youtube clips are a better yardstick.

HeartofHartley
1 minute ago, davie1980 said:

Look at your ****ing user name, for crying out loud man.

I can see it and know it well, you aren't getting my point at all. Which doesn't surprise me.

LarrysRightFoot

Levein has been chasing him for a long time so must see something in. I would also think he knows exactly what position he wants to play him in.

50 minutes ago, HeartofHartley said:

I dont want bites i couldnt care. I wanted to say my opinion being we need another striker like Sow/Shankland someone who will score us goals until January when Vanecek comes and that if we don't sign another striker I'll be underwhelmed.

You'll be underwhelmed by a 15/16 player transfer window. We have striking options and another one arriving at latest January...That's only 4 months ffs!

This lad is not a replacement for Lafferty he's more likely to be a replacement for Naismith in time. The window is open for another day and who knows who will arrive. I'm honestly blown away by how someone always finds some way of moaning about the club. Since we won the championship it'd one moan after another yet the more level headed could see the vision the club had appreciated the mistakes were what they were, Neilson going derailed us a bit but the club stuck to what they believed was right and now we're seeing the results albeit we got here in a slightly different way than originally planned.

McLean was slaughtered he's turned out fine. Souttar wasn't exactly welcomed with open arms. Harring playing in midfield was met with derision....just let this lad show u what he can or can't do.

Underwhelmed....shit the bed stuff!

3 minutes ago, Rudy T said:

You'll be underwhelmed by a 15/16 player transfer window. We have striking options and another one arriving at latest January...That's only 4 months ffs!

This lad is not a replacement for Lafferty he's more likely to be a replacement for Naismith in time. The window is open for another day and who knows who will arrive. I'm honestly blown away by how someone always finds some way of moaning about the club. Since we won the championship it'd one moan after another yet the more level headed could see the vision the club had appreciated the mistakes were what they were, Neilson going derailed us a bit but the club stuck to what they believed was right and now we're seeing the results albeit we got here in a slightly different way than originally planned.

McLean was slaughtered he's turned out fine. Souttar wasn't exactly welcomed with open arms. Harring playing in midfield was met with derision....just let this lad show u what he can or can't do.

Great post

Fort Vallance
13 minutes ago, LarrysRightFoot said:

Levein has been chasing him for a long time so must see something in. I would also think he knows exactly what position he wants to play him in.

I think thats probably the case. Going by his record even Stevie Wonder can see he's not a natural goalscorer. As long as he contributes fine but I don't think he'll be a first pick.

Tokyo Drifter

BBC has it as eight goals from 92 games. Point still stands. Woulda gone for Shankland myself but what do I know? Hopefully the boy can kick on, as they say.

18 minutes ago, Rudy T said:

been here before
5 minutes ago, Tokyo Drifter said:

Hopefully the boy can kick on, as they say.

From the moment he signed it was obvious he'd get the first use of that cliche this season.

I wonder if "there's a player in there".

30 minutes ago, sadj said:

The Dundee forums and ex Dundee players seem to have a very good opinion of him.

Ja, I was just having a bit of fun as I'd been reading through all the doubt/"he's not Lafferty"/"he's no Lawrence Shankland..." stuff and couldn't believe someone could actually start sourcing the views of people who have seen him play. Thankfully Big O correctly noted that wiki stats and baseless moaning are far more convincing though

38 minutes ago, kimosavi said:

Feck sake 

We've just signed another player and folk arguing whether he's any good or no 

For me i see a Hearts side that seems really tight nit with everybody on the same page, everyone working hard for each other 

A perfect place for any player to flourish 

We've no had that in a long while

Just enjoy it 

Let players feet do the talking 

I for one am delighted with recruitment this window and very much looking forward to this season there seems a real cammaradity in this sqaud 

I wanted Levein gone 2 months ago 

Now I'm starting to believe he's building something worth watching 

Believe 

:thumbsup: good post.

Bazzas right boot

Hopefully we will be in a position to do this more often. 

Buy the "smaller teams" best players through a mix of a transfer fee, decent wages and the opportunity for them to develop better than at championship or at celtic. 

Players like him and Souttar is what we should be doing, sprinkled with 3/4 proven guys and ofc a few from all over the place. 

Players like Christie, Allan, artfield,  O'halloran, Russel, Armstrong, gms. amongst others have stood out for clubs, Cadden, guys like moult as well for example also recently and we couldn't Compete, hopefully going forward we can pinch these players more regularly. 

Not all will be great, but these types of players will get us third and pushing up the league. 

Kamarra would fall into that category as well from Dundee. 

Edited by WeeChuck'sHeed

HeartofHartley
38 minutes ago, Rudy T said:

I want to make a few things clear that some people obviously aren't getting. 

First is that I never said I was underwhelmed at the transfer activity as a whole that's you putting words in my mouth so to speak.

I also have never said this lad is bad, it was well documented in the news that we would be after A (singular) striker once Laff went and we have got one in Wighton. Now that is underwhelming if you are comparing the ability of the one outgoing and the one incoming and anyone arguing that is deluded. IF we get another with a higher level of pedigree that will take Laffertys place in the starting 11 so be it and I will no longer be underwhelmed.

As for the wife joke if it offended someone then sorry but also if that same joke was made at me everyone would be posting funny gifs and emojis and not ganging up on the person who made the joke. 

I actually can see why we signed Wighton as a prospect to Naisy but my point was that the gap left by Lafferty still exists and that going by the club's updates we only wanted one striker and we've gotten a project player when again, IN MY OPINION I would have liked a player that was either a) from a better league b) had a better pedigree or previous experience in Scotland or c) a player like Shankland who is scoring goals for fun at the moment and who would certainly do till January when Vanecek comes in.

Also saying - Wyness and Reilly scored goals before Hearts then look what happened doesn't mean you can flip it on its head to suggest that this young lad will now bang them in because he HASN'T scored goals before coming to Hearts because if you took away the names and said you can buy player A, B or C and A and B turned out to be Wyness and Reilly and C Wighton you'd choose A or B. Stats do mean something especially for forwards. 

Lastly, I know that Wighton isn't Laffertys replacement, but when the club said they wanted A striker and we buy A striker then it's easily understood that we won't get another before the window shuts (we also paid 6 figures for him and so won't have that much money left) and in my opinion we need to replace laffs goals before the window closes if we want to keep this run going. 

So yes, I would be underwhelmed that in an attacking sense we haven't replaced a player near Laffertys quality with one who would suggest to bring us some goals. 

P.S I know a lot of this isn't aimed at you in particular but starting typing and went with it

21 minutes ago, Spellczech said:

Ja, I was just having a bit of fun as I'd been reading through all the doubt/"he's not Lafferty"/"he's no Lawrence Shankland..." stuff and couldn't believe someone could actually start sourcing the views of people who have seen him play. Thankfully Big O correctly noted that wiki stats and baseless moaning are far more convincing though

Wasn’t a dig at you mate just an observation having read all the same pish. People who have seen him seem or played with him all seem to have the same high hopes. Good time to get him with MacLean and Naismith to learn from. Its done wonders for Souttar being around Berra , Hughes etc

Like the majority of folk on here I’ve not seen enough of him to judge whether he is a good signing or not.

Wish him all the best though. Welcome to Hearts.

1 minute ago, sadj said:

Wasn’t a dig at you mate just an observation having read all the same pish. People who have seen him seem or played with him all seem to have the same high hopes. Good time to get him with MacLean and Naismith to learn from. Its done wonders for Souttar being around Berra , Hughes etc

These kind of signings along with the quality experienced players nearing the end of their careers have always been the bread and butter of Hearts transfer policy. People who knock it would also knock the signing of guys like Levein, Cameron, Webster, McCann and Weir...

2 minutes ago, HeartofHartley said:

First is that I never said I was underwhelmed at the transfer activity as a whole that's you putting words in my mouth so to speak.

I also have never said this lad is bad, it was well documented in the news that we would be after A (singular) striker once Laff went and we have got one in Wighton. Now that is underwhelming if you are comparing the ability of the one outgoing and the one incoming and anyone arguing that is deluded. IF we get another with a higher level of pedigree that will take Laffertys place in the starting 11 so be it and I will no longer be underwhelmed.

As for the wife joke if it offended someone then sorry but also if that same joke was made at me everyone would be posting funny gifs and emojis and not ganging up on the person who made the joke. 

I actually can see why we signed Wighton as a prospect to Naisy but my point was that the gap left by Lafferty still exists and that going by the club's updates we only wanted one striker and we've gotten a project player when again, IN MY OPINION I would have liked a player that was either a) from a better league b) had a better pedigree or previous experience in Scotland or c) a player like Shankland who is scoring goals for fun at the moment and who would certainly do till January when Vanecek comes in.

Also saying - Wyness and Reilly scored goals before Hearts then look what happened doesn't mean you can flip it on its head to suggest that this young lad will now bang them in because he HASN'T scored goals before coming to Hearts because if you took away the names and said you can buy player A, B or C and A and B turned out to be Wyness and Reilly and C Wighton you'd choose A or B. Stats do mean something especially for forwards. 

Lastly, I know that Wighton isn't Laffertys replacement, but when the club said they wanted A striker and we buy A striker then it's easily understood that we won't get another before the window shuts (we also paid 6 figures for him and so won't have that much money left) and in my opinion we need to replace laffs goals before the window closes if we want to keep this run going. 

So yes, I would be underwhelmed that in an attacking sense we haven't replaced a player near Laffertys quality with one who would suggest to bring us some goals. 

P.S I know a lot of this isn't aimed at you in particular but starting typing and went with it

I'm not having a go at you but your choice of language is a bit disproportionate. Let's put this into context you are suggesting the club would be able to replace a 20 goal a season striker?

More likely what we're looking to do is build an attacking team with goals spread right through it. Wighton may be the missing piece of the jigsaw for all we know.

Alternatively Sow may come in or some else. Or more likely Our 20 goal a season man may be here in Uche or about to arrive in January. To be underwhelmed is, you have to admit, a bit of an overreaction?

1 minute ago, Spellczech said:

These kind of signings along with the quality experienced players nearing the end of their careers have always been the bread and butter of Hearts transfer policy. People who knock it would also knock the signing of guys like Levein, Cameron, Webster, McCann and Weir...

From experience as a young player if you have the right attitude its amazing what you can learn from the older pros.

Iv always liked when we have a balance of young raw talent and older experienced pros. We have invariably had decent seasons with that combo. 

14 minutes ago, Barack said:

For anyone wondering what the similarities are with Lafferty...there's none. Doesn't play through the middle. More skilfull & more assists. Like has been said, he'll be playing Naismith's role in the future...

Looks like a cracking prospect from that video. Obviously there is a reason we've been after him for a while and given  CL has known him for a few years then it loos like a very good signing for us.

I still have a feeling we will bring in another forward tomorrow. Chance we may not of course but just got a feeling. 

Thought Police

Damn, some people on here need instant satisfaction don’t they?

I suspect Levein believes Wighton will be a significantly better prospect in five years than Shankland

I think this lad will take a little time to develop (he’s at the right place to do so) and will become a great player for us in a year or two. Welcome Craig! 

Folk moaning with the transfer window we’ve had so far! Fookin bonkers .....Welcome aboard young Craig . What a club you’v joined son

16 minutes ago, sadj said:

From experience as a young player if you have the right attitude its amazing what you can learn from the older pros.

Iv always liked when we have a balance of young raw talent and older experienced pros. We have invariably had decent seasons with that combo. 

Think we’ve got the right kind of older pros which is key.  

You constantly hear Naismith being the loudest and most vocal

in training.  A mix of advice, praise and moaning in equal measure!

Im sure away from the training pitch he gives quiet advice too. 

luckyBatistuta

Not sure how many goals he will score himself, but if he helps others to, then that’s fine by me. He definitely has a bit of skill about him, welcome aboard the mighty HMFC

Edited by luckyBatistuta

Bridge of Djoum
2 hours ago, HeartofHartley said:

As I said, it's not negative I'd just rather of had Shankland. 

Rather ''of'', aye?

34 minutes ago, HeartofHartley said:

You do know that prior to Hearts, Lafferty had never scored anything like 19 goals in a season? Put simply, Hearts don't sign players who score 20 goals per season in a top league which is why we've never done it...

Scoring 20 in a lower league and hoping it will be replicated in the top league is a gamble...saying that Shankland is a better option than Wighton is a fallacy.

We cannot expect to sign one single player to cover Lafferty's goal haul from last season. It is a pipedream. It is highly unlikely to happen, unless with a lot of good fortune...Far better bet to hope that several players together can cover the goals.

I read the Dundee thread on the link posted here earlier, and it certainly seems the majority of them are disappointed and a lot seem to think Levein will get the best out of him, especially if we can toughen him up a bit.

Bear in mind he was out injured last season and has been at a club who have struggled in recent seasons, so confidence and team spirit might be low.  He's coming to us a time when the buzz around the club is as high as it's been for years and playing for a manager he already has a good relationship with, and he knows has been after him for some time.  It might just be the ideal environment for him to start to flourish and realise his full potential.

Edited by RobNox

Geoff Kilpatrick

The comparisons to Souttar are obvious but I think the closest signing to Wighton in the past (and this thread looks very similar to his signing thread) is Robbie Muirhead. People were mixed on his signing and were still mixed by the time he left.

Anyway, welcome to the club.