Armed Forces Day

August Landmesser

4 minutes ago, Cruyff Turn said:

Only time this club should have anything to do with the Armed Forces in on remembrance day. 

This. 

• Replies 704
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Scnorthedinburgh

• August Landmesser

• Elmore

• Strachsuit

Cruyff Turn
2 minutes ago, Strachsuit said:

Ayr United, for one. 

Ayr United and Sevco.

just need Airdrie to complete the axis of evil.

Partick Thistle also gave free entry to service personnel at their game last year around Remembrance Day. 

Wonder if Thistle fans reacted the same way?

POALITICLY MOATIVATEED THEY SHOOOD HUV CUNSULTED US FIRSHT. BLIAR HAS BLUD OAN HIS HAUNDZ.

Etc, etc.

sidjamesbottle
21 minutes ago, alwaysthereinspirit said:

I don't think the word traitor was even mentioned anywhere on the thread until then.

Blair/Brown, war criminals, torturers and baby killers is a big leap to what Hearts are planning on doing Sunday.

i know what a total clown

Eldar Hadzimehmedovic

Conflicted on this tbh. Supporting the "troops" has become politicised, just like so many things in a pretty polarised modern world. It does feel like initiatives like this might embolden sections of our support and wider society who exploit the armed forces to legitimise some views that I personally don't like. 

However, it is important and brave work many of those men and women do. It should be acknowledged. It's just a shame it seems so difficult to that these days without it seeming like your colours are being mailed to a one mast or another. 

The Treasurer
12 minutes ago, sandyk said:

I do agree with you.  The signing of the charter is one thing, but I do find it quite 'cringey' to have the AF day.  Although, I imagine that the intent is innocent and based around promoting the charter, as ex RAF, I would rather just get on with supporting the team rather than be paraded in front of the crowd!

I agree.

12 minutes ago, Juanjo15 said:

What's it got to do with a game of football? 

Its got nothing to do with a game of football. It’s not impacting the game in any way, shape or form. It is Hearts saying thank you to those who work in our armed services. Nothing more nothing less. If you don’t like it you can arrive after it’s over or simply stay silent. Not difficult for a normal human being! 

Nookie Bear
7 minutes ago, BelgeJambo said:

They are but they have officially signed up to the covenant. 

Edinburgh City Council also signed up to it along with approximately 1500 plus organisations

so I wouldn't say there is any political gain

Again, the council has a closer responsibility to looking after ex-armed forces than we do.

To be honest, i've read the Covenant and it just looks like words with very little actual commitment beyond treating people fairly, which they should be doing anyway.

Chuck Berry
1 minute ago, Strachsuit said:

Partick Thistle also gave free entry to service personnel at their game last year around Remembrance Day. 

POALITICLY MOATIVATEED THEY SHOOOD HUV CUNSULTED US FIRSHT. BLIAR HAS BLUD OAN HIS HAUNDZ.

Etc, etc.

That isn't even remotely comparable FFS.

I'm offended by the amount of folk who get offended, by the folk who will say this hasn't been handled correctly. Ffs I'm sure some folk think Ann Budge should be giving them a personal phone call to ask permission to anything otherwise it's not been done right.

snowflakes everywhere. I have two teenage daughters who are pretty big snowflakes but this place really does take the biscuit .

Just now, magicTs said:

Its got nothing to do with a game of football. It’s not impacting the game in any way, shape or form. It is Hearts saying thank you to those who work in our armed services. Nothing more nothing less. If you don’t like it you can arrive after it’s over or simply stay silent. Not difficult for a normal human being! 

If it's nothing to do with football it shouldn't be randomly implemented to have a march or whatever around a football game. 

By the way I've nothing against the armed forces, they do a fantastic job serving the UK but it's going too far this stuff.  

21 minutes ago, Nookie Bear said:

But why does a football club feel the need to support our troops?

As a community club Hearts support lots of sectors of that community. There is absolutely no reason for Hearts not to pay respects to those who serve our country both home and abroad. In fact they deserve our respect and thanks more than most. Anyone angry or offended by this needs to gain some serious perspective. 

1 minute ago, Eldar Hadzimehmedovic said:

Conflicted on this tbh. Supporting the "troops" has become politicised, just like so many things in a pretty polarised modern world. It does feel like initiatives like this might embolden sections of our support and wider society who exploit the armed forces to legitimise some views that I personally don't like. 

However, it is important and brave work many of those men and women do. It should be acknowledged. It's just a shame it seems so difficult to that these days without it seeming like your colours are being mailed to a one mast or another. 

Fair comment.

Perhaps the question should be why let Sevco monopolise support for servicemen and women? It doesn't need to be a great show of Union Flag waving nonsense like they have. But the thought is what counts and it's a good initiative by the club.

Nookie Bear
Just now, magicTs said:

As a community club Hearts support lots of sectors of that community. There is absolutely no reason for Hearts not to pay respects to those who serve our country both home and abroad. In fact they deserve our respect and thanks more than most. Anyone angry or offended by this needs to gain some serious perspective. 

In your opinion.

1 minute ago, jambopilms said:

I'm offended by the amount of folk who get offended, by the folk who will say this hasn't been handled correctly. Ffs I'm sure some folk think Ann Budge should be giving them a personal phone call to ask permission to anything otherwise it's not been done right.

snowflakes everywhere. I have two teenage daughters who are pretty big snowflakes but this place really does take the biscuit .

You're the one acting like a precious snowflake because someone has a difference of opinion as you have. 

Cruyff Turn

Etc, etc.

On remembrance day. 

we should remember the fans and players that have their lives in the trenches. 

we shouldn't be celebrating armed forces day. These things are completely separate from one another.

Gene Parmesan
4 minutes ago, Strachsuit said:

Etc, etc.

Strong false equivalency game, bro.

1 minute ago, magicTs said:

So where's the open days for all the other sectors then?  We do pay our respects rather massively on remembrance day and around that time. 

3 minutes ago, Chuck Berry said:

That isn't even remotely comparable FFS.

Isn't it?

It's basically what people have been saying on here. That supporting the troops by signing the covenant is supporting wars in Iraq! :lol: 

SpruceBringsteen

Just want to add that I too read Piers Morgan or some other right wing mutant in the Sun say "snowflake" once and now repeat it 4 ****ing trillion times a day.

August Landmesser
3 minutes ago, jambopilms said:

:whistling: 

Eldar Hadzimehmedovic

Fair comment.

Perhaps the question should be why let Sevco monopolise support for servicemen and women? It doesn't need to be a great show of Union Flag waving nonsense like they have. But the thought is what counts and it's a good initiative by the club.

True. If we can handle it sensibly and sensitively, it doesn't need to turn into a big nationalist flag-waving thing. 

Just now, Juanjo15 said:

If it's nothing to do with football it shouldn't be randomly implemented to have a march or whatever around a football game. 

By the way I've nothing against the armed forces, they do a fantastic job serving the UK but it's going too far this stuff.  

In my view it actually tells a big story as to where Britain is as a country that such offence could be taken to such an initiative. It’s little wonder communities are the mess they are and that huge division exists. Regardless of the political climate the armed forces protect and serve each and every one one of us. Amazing that people are so highly strung as to find this offensive and not something Hearts should be involved in.

davemclaren
31 minutes ago, Colonel Kurtz said:

Unlike celtic ,Hearts supporters could in conversation say "my teams first team squuad volunteered en masse at the start of WW1,without being asked ...For which side

The only footballer to get a VC in the First War played for Celtic iirc. 

1 minute ago, Cruyff Turn said:

On remembrance day. 

we should remember the fans and players that have their lives in the trenches. 

we shouldn't be celebrating armed forces day. These things are completely separate from one another.

You do realise we aren't. We are having our own armed forces appreciation day on Sunday. It's to signal the signing of the covenant. It's got nothing to do with the national Armed Forces Day, which was in June.

Gene Parmesan
Just now, Strachsuit said:

Isn't it?

It's basically what people have been saying on here. That supporting the troops by signing the covenant is supporting wars in Iraq! :lol: 

I think one post tried to clumsily make that point. It's wrong. But maybe you should actually read all the others that are quite rationally pointing out why an Armed Forces Day hosted by a football club is, at the very least, quite strange.

Isn't it?

I would have no problem around remembrance day giving 500 tickets away to the armed forces.  It's a bit different than having a support the troops day in the stadium before a football game. 

1 minute ago, Eldar Hadzimehmedovic said:

True. If we can handle it sensibly and sensitively, it doesn't need to turn into a big nationalist flag-waving thing. 

Precisely. And if AB is involved, you can be assured it won't be.

I really have no idea why anyone would be against this. Unless they are Celtic-minded, as I pointed out to the OP. 

4 minutes ago, Nookie Bear said:

In your opinion.

Well I can’t speak of anyone else’s opinion. :laugh:

1 minute ago, magicTs said:

In my view it actually tells a big story as to where Britain is as a country that such offence could be taken to such an initiative. It’s little wonder communities are the mess they are and that huge division exists. Regardless of the political climate the armed forces protect and serve each and every one one of us. Amazing that people are so highly strung as to find this offensive and not something Hearts should be involved in.

I'm not taking any offence.  I don't think it's got the slightest bit to with a game of football though and think it's pretty sad to do so for a little publicity. 

August Landmesser
Just now, Strachsuit said:

I really have no idea why anyone would be against this. Unless they are Celtic-minded, as I pointed out to the OP. 

'Celtic-minded'

Nice euphemism there. Subtle.

Classy.

1 minute ago, Gene Parmesan said:

I think one post tried to clumsily make that point. It's wrong. But maybe you should actually read all the others that are quite rationally pointing out why an Armed Forces Day hosted by a football club is, at the very least, quite strange.

So a huge number of league clubs in England are strange? I don't see the issue, personally.

3 minutes ago, magicTs said:

You and me both.

Scnorthedinburgh
2 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

Your memory is correct, a fair few Celtic players signed up.

New school in west Lothian somewhere named their new building after him.

3 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

True but not a current player at the time, I think. Boy from Armadale if memory serves.

15 minutes ago, Boab said:

I've read the statement and can't see any mention of a parade. Just signing the thing and a couple of stalls in the plaza.

Apologies, worded badly. I didn't mean parade as in massed ranks, etc.  I imagine there will be a few in uniform on the pitch during the signing. Personally, I love the idea of our club supporting this, perhaps a private function would have sufficed?

Eldar Hadzimehmedovic
34 minutes ago, Colonel Kurtz said:

Unlike celtic ,Hearts supporters could in conversation say "my teams first team squuad volunteered en masse at the start of WW1,without being asked ...For which side

Sorry mate, no offence, but this does my ****ing nut in. Hearts didn't win the war. Hearts fans or players are not inherently braver or more noble than Celtic fans, then or now, for what happened. The decisions those individuals took should be respected and appreciated, but thousands and thousands fought and died in that war, many of them 'Celtic'. Can't stand football rivalry point scoring over what happened in 1914. 

Nookie Bear

That kind of comment makes me want this whole event to fail miserably.

joondalupjambo

A topic that clearly divides the support.

The club's Board must have discussed it and chosen to support this.  Wonder if there were any board members who said not a good idea?

Anyway it therefore seems to me that either they do not understand the supporters broader on views on this or are happy to proceed regardless.  Either way the club have decided which is fine,  they have taken a decision they think right.  It is good to have strong leadership.

I can make decisions as well.  Not going to attend this match.   It is both our rights to decide because we all live in a democracy.  Roll on the debate that I can do that because of the armed forces ?

By the light

The company I work for signed up to the Armed Forces covenant which is more about helping past and current serving members and their families integrate in to the community.  It’s about creating opportunities for them, their spouses and their kids.

It’s about helping the spouses of service people find work and create social circles which can be difficult if you have to relocate every 2 years with new postings. It’s very much something Hearts as a community club should be supporting in my opinion.

Unfortunately, people automatically jump to the conclusion that it’s a big pro union, flag waving sash bash and is yet another worthy cause tainted due to the brain dead arseholes associated to the scum bag clubs from through the west.

Clever tactic by the club....take all eyes off this summers dubious player recruitment by engaging in controversial activities.

Am I doing this conspiracy theory stuff correctly?!!!  :whistling:

6 minutes ago, Juanjo15 said:

I would have no problem around remembrance day giving 500 tickets away to the armed forces.  It's a bit different than having a support the troops day in the stadium before a football game. 

This isn't what's happening. Have you even read the article? Or are you too busy being offended by nothing? :lol: 

Nookie Bear
Just now, By the light said:

The company I work for signed up to the Armed Forces covenant which is more about helping past and current serving members and their families integrate in to the community.  It’s about creating opportunities for them, their spouses and their kids.

It’s about helping the spouses of service people find work and create social circles which can be difficult if you have to relocate every 2 years with new postings. It’s very much something Hearts as a community club should be supporting in my opinion.

Unfortunately, people automatically jump to the conclusion that it’s a big pro union, flag waving sash bash and is yet another worthy cause tainted due to the brain dead arseholes associated to the scum bag clubs from through the west.

My issue is that it will be jumped on by some people to behave like that , and that is what it will be remembered for.

And, as a club we are clearly bothered by our public perception, this seems a strange risk to take.

By the light
3 minutes ago, Eldar Hadzimehmedovic said:

Sorry mate, no offence, but this does my ****ing nut in. Hearts didn't win the war. Hearts fans or players are not inherently braver or more noble than Celtic fans, then or now, for what happened. The decisions those individuals took should be respected and appreciated, but thousands and thousands fought and died in that war, many of them 'Celtic'. Can't stand football rivalry point scoring over what happened in 1914. 

Well said.

Gigolo-Aunt

Absolutely delighted at the news.  Can't see an issue with saluting our brave servicemen.

Servicemen don't start wars, politicians do.

Well done Hearts.

By the light
1 minute ago, Nookie Bear said:

My issue is that it will be jumped on by some people to behave like that , and that is what it will be remembered for.

And, as a club we are clearly bothered by our public perception, this seems a strange risk to take.

That’s the sad reality

Ryan Jarman

Don't see the point in this to be honest and anyway, most squadies I've met have been arseholes I'd rather not help celebrate.