Armed Forces Day

August Landmesser

I’m no militarist but I don’t have

an issue with it. Sounds like it’s more about supporting current and ex members of the armed forces and, like it or not, they make up a part of our fanbase and community. As our stated aim is to be a community club, that involves supporting all members of the community, whoever they are. 

• Replies 704
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Scnorthedinburgh

• August Landmesser

• Elmore

• Strachsuit

Nookie Bear
1 minute ago, PeterintheRain said:

Total bollocks.   Armed Forces Day was invented by the Blair/Brown regime after the War Crime of invading Iraq.  It, along with the fake, "Help for Heroes," was intended to create sympathy for our brave boys, take the pressure of their evil act and brainwash the gullible.  

Now anybody who doesn't support their propaganda day is a traitor.  See how well it worked?

HMFC should have nothing to do with it.   We have our day to remember. 

This Glorification of War Criminals. The scum who torture prisoners.  The people who happily slaughter children to order.  It has no place in any democracy let alone at a sporting event. 

That'll calm the discussion down a notch :laugh:

But, if i'm being honest, i agree with you.

8 minutes ago, magicTs said:

Absolutely amazing that people have an issue with this. Literally offended by anything, snowflakes going to snowflake I guess but still incredible! 

Tremendous initiative by Hearts, rightly welcoming and honoring the men and woman who protect and serve our country. Each and everyone of them deserves our respect and gratitude. 

SPOT ON, bloody snowflakes, all thats wrong with this country. Let's find something to be offended by, again......

5 minutes ago, August Landmesser said:

It's got shag all to do with a nice day out at the football is the big deal.

Same as minute's silences for popes and PMS...

But everything to do with a community football club giving back to the community served by members of the armed forces, no?

7 minutes ago, August Landmesser said:

It's still glorifying death and slaughter though. Whether that's at sea, in the air or on land...

No. No, it's not. You're absolutely missing the point of signing this covenant - quite spectacularly. 

3 minutes ago, August Landmesser said:

It's still glorifying death and slaughter though. Whether that's at sea, in the air or on land...

Lol what are you in about. You’ve lost it! 

Its supporting our troops, the men and woman who serve and defend our country. It’s not a political statement in the least, it’s not Hearts saying we collectively agree with such and such a policy or we unite in our backing of this decision or that. It’s about the troops and the sacrifices they make in day to day life. Honestly it’s no wonder Britain is the completely divided place it is when the armed forces receive this reaction. Incredible. 

4 minutes ago, August Landmesser said:

Is it?

I thought it was an agreement between the Armed Forces and the Nation to support the armed forces and families, and not glorifying death and slaughter at all

I’m not offended by this.

I do not support it in the slightest however. 

Colonel Kurtz

Unlike celtic ,Hearts supporters could in conversation say "my teams first team squuad volunteered en masse at the start of WW1,without being asked ...For which side

1 minute ago, BelgeJambo said:

Is it?

I thought it was an agreement between the Armed Forces and the Nation to support the armed forces and families, and not glorifying death and slaughter at all

The chaps lost the plot. Literally has no idea what he’s taking about! 

Nookie Bear
1 minute ago, Strachsuit said:

But everything to do with a community football club giving back to the community served by members of the armed forces, no?

No. No, it's not. You're absolutely missing the point of signing this covenant - quite spectacularly. 

I don't agree it's glorifying death and slaughter, but what exactly is the point of signing the covenant?

1 minute ago, magicTs said:

Its supporting our troops, the men and woman who serve and defend our country. It’s not a political statement in the least, it’s not Hearts saying we collectively agree with such and such a policy or we unite in our backing of this decision or that. It’s about the troops and the sacrifices they make in day to day life. Honestly it’s no wonder Britain is the completely divided place it is when the armed forces receive this reaction. Incredible. 

Completely lost the plot! Some people are so utterly consumed by their political motives that when something like this happens (that isn't actually political), they can't contain their rage with a political slant! It's quite something. :lol: 

alwaysthereinspirit
3 minutes ago, PeterintheRain said:

Total bollocks.   Armed Forces Day was invented by the Blair/Brown regime after the War Crime of invading Iraq.  It, along with the fake, "Help for Heroes," was intended to create sympathy for our brave boys, take the pressure of their evil act and brainwash the gullible.  

Now anybody who doesn't support their propaganda day is a traitor.  See how well it worked?

This Glorification of War Criminals. The scum who torture prisoners.  The people who happily slaughter children to order.  It has no place in any democracy let alone at a sporting event. 

I don't think the word traitor was even mentioned anywhere on the thread until then.

Blair/Brown, war criminals, torturers and baby killers is a big leap to what Hearts are planning on doing Sunday.

Nookie Bear
3 minutes ago, magicTs said:

But why does a football club feel the need to support our troops?

16 minutes ago, August Landmesser said:

So, being anti-Armed Forces Day at Tynecastle is politically motivated and has no place in football, but being pro-Armed Forces Day at Tynecastle is not and does?

:interehjrling:

Your motives are politically driven pure and simple.

This club has a long and proud history of supporting the armed services by way of being a community club. So no! recognising it as a community initiative like many other things the club do, does not make it politically motivated despite people like you trying to twist it into something it's clearly not.

Gene Parmesan
2 minutes ago, sandyk said:

Just to help clarify what the Covenant is, or indeed to provoke further discussion, some info here:

https://www.armedforcescovenant.gov.uk/about/

Absolutely no issues there, and signing/backing it is great.

But hosting an 'Armed Forces Day' is just weird behaviour for a football club.

Edited by Gene Parmesan

26 minutes ago, Homme said:

Would be nicer if we showed some support to our NHS staff, or emergency services. People that actually make a difference in our day to day lives.

Why does it always have to be the armed forces?

Our link up with Erskine i liked, but this along with all the other stuff is just way OTT. Wish we would give it up apart from Celebrating our WW1 team and the associated Batallon -  and when i say celebrating i mean respectfully remembering them.

That's where I am. Why support the armed services and not nurses, firemen, etc etc. 

Sexton Hardcastle
1 minute ago, Nookie Bear said:

It’s provocative, it gets the people going.

Chuck Berry
8 minutes ago, jacklivi1874 said:

Dont go you wont be missed as for embarrassment look at your post its beamer 

These Armed Forces Days are political, a brazen flag waving exercise, where were they pre-2006? Rangers jumped on this as an excuse to wave the flags and go full hun, we all laughed at the brazenness of it all, Ibrox turned into a military parade ground, all they were missing was tanks.

I don't have a problem with the club geting involved in supporting ex or retired Armed Forces who may be having a hard time, but then where's the help for fireman who lay their lives on the line every single day to keep us safe, same with Police Scotland, same with our nurses and doctors and surgeons. Where is their day at Tynecastle? 

It's something as a club we should have stayed well clear of, continue to respect our links with WWI in a dignified way, although no doubt it will be popular with a certain section of the support.

Might come as a bit of a shocker to some, but the NHS also supports the armed forces covenant

Scnorthedinburgh
5 minutes ago, PeterintheRain said:

Where to start?

We are having our own armed forces day on Sunday. The national one you don't like was earlier this year.

To the best of my knowledge my father has never happily or unhappily slaughtered children, or tortured anyone.

He has helped build a few schools and clinics. Rebuilt bridges after hurricanes and help restore water and power.

He has been shot at numerous times, and blown up once.

As a serviceman and a jambo he would have appreciated hearts signing up to the covenant.

By all means have your political stance, but don't take it out on the people sent to do our leaders bidding.

August Landmesser
Just now, Rudy T said:

Your motives are politically driven pure and simple.

This club has a long and proud history of supporting the armed services by way of being a community club. So no! recognising it as a community initiative like many other things the club do, does not make it politically motivated despite people like you trying to twist it into something it's clearly not.

'by way of being a community club' = 'supporting the armed services'?

That's quite a leap you've made there.

There's a community bakery round the corner from my office, they don't appear to be baking ship's biscuits in there though.

Also, if opposing the armed services is political, then so is supporting them. That's logic, baby!

Just now, BelgeJambo said:

Might come as a bit of a shocker to some, but the NHS also supports the armed forces covenant

Quite !

8 minutes ago, Nookie Bear said:

I don't agree it's glorifying death and slaughter, but what exactly is the point of signing the covenant?

See here: 

5 minutes ago, sandyk said:

Just to help clarify what the Covenant is, or indeed to provoke further discussion, some info here:

https://www.armedforcescovenant.gov.uk/about/

Sexton Hardcastle
Just now, Chuck Berry said:

These Armed Forces Days are political, a brazen flag waving exercise, where were they pre-2006? Rangers jumped on this as an excuse to wave the flags and go full hun, we all laughed at the brazenness of it all, Ibrox turned into a military parade ground, all they were missing was tanks.

I don't have a problem with the club geting involved in supporting ex or retired Armed Forces who may be having a hard time, but then where's the help for fireman who lay their lives on the line every single day to keep us safe, same with Police Scotland, same with our nurses and doctors and surgeons. Where is their day at Tynecastle? 

It's something as a club we should have stayed well clear of, continue to respect our links with WWI in a dignified way, although no doubt it will be popular with a certain section of the support.

See the NFL, it’s armed forces contract/payments and the recent fall out over taking a knee and Trump etc.

9 minutes ago, Colonel Kurtz said:

Unlike celtic ,Hearts supporters could in conversation say "my teams first team squuad volunteered en masse at the start of WW1,without being asked ...For which side

Posts like this show why we shouldn't be involved. One upmanship 

Gene Parmesan
Just now, BelgeJambo said:

Do they get soldiers, sailors and airmen to march through the ICU?

Nookie Bear
1 minute ago, BelgeJambo said:

The NHS is surely closely involved in helping the armed forces.

3 minutes ago, Gene Parmesan said:

Absolutely no issues there, and signing/backing it is great.

But hosting an 'Armed Forces Day' is just weird behaviour for a football club.

I do agree with you.  The signing of the charter is one thing, but I do find it quite 'cringey' to have the AF day.  Although, I imagine that the intent is innocent and based around promoting the charter, as ex RAF, I would rather just get on with supporting the team rather than be paraded in front of the crowd!

22 minutes ago, magicTs said:

Absolutely amazing that people have an issue with this. Literally offended by anything, snowflakes going to snowflake I guess but still incredible! 

Tremendous initiative by Hearts, rightly welcoming and honoring the men and woman who protect and serve our country. Each and everyone of them deserves our respect and gratitude. 

What's it got to do with a game of football? 

5 minutes ago, Nookie Bear said:

As has already been said, it's a community-based project from a community-based football club. 

sidjamesbottle
48 minutes ago, August Landmesser said:

http://www.heartsfc.co.uk/news/6828

Some consultation with fans might have been nice before using the club as a recruitment tool for the army.

IMHO, this is utter bollocks.

why anyone anywhere would think this is utter bollocks is beyond me

Don't think this has been particularly well handled to be honest. Signing the Armed Force Covenant is a good thing, often very difficult for ex-service people to integrate back into society and they deserve support. It's something I am happy for the club to sign up to. Having an Armed Forces Day, no matter what basis the small print defines it as, is symbolically attaching the club to an image that I and obviously many others do not agree with. Like other posters have pointed out why is there no NHS day or indeed Social Services day. It's also blatantly political and the club should avoid politics at all costs.  

Chuck Berry
7 minutes ago, Nookie Bear said:

Bingo, and why is it only Rangers who previously done this?

2 minutes ago, sandyk said:

I do agree with you.  The signing of the charter is one thing, but I do find it quite 'cringey' to have the AF day.  Although, I imagine that the intent is innocent and based around promoting the charter, as ex RAF, I would rather just get on with supporting the team rather than be paraded in front of the crowd!

I've read the statement and can't see any mention of a parade. Just signing the thing and a couple of stalls in the plaza.

moan,moan,moan that’s all some supporters do all the time,what’s wrong with the club supporting armed forces day it is just to show a little appreciation to all the men and woman who serve the country. 

2 minutes ago, Nookie Bear said:

The NHS is surely closely involved in helping the armed forces.

They are but they have officially signed up to the covenant. 

Edinburgh City Council also signed up to it along with approximately 1500 plus organisations

so I wouldn't say there is any political gain

24 minutes ago, 3fingersreid said:

I have no problem with the OP’s  point ,in fact I think the club should and could possibly have consulted with the fans on it somehow . As to your poppy comment I find it uncomfortable how far some people go to show their respects around Memorial Day . 

What i I do have an issue with is people like yourself putting words in my mouth , especially when they’re so ****ing wrong !!

Pleased to hear it . If you read your last sentence in the previous post objectively you will see that there is a strong inference . Which is why the question was asked .

So , no I didn't put words in your mouth and what do you mean by 'people like yourself' ?

Don't think we've been properly introduced 

1 minute ago, Chuck Berry said:

Bingo, and why is it only Rangers who previously done this?

Erm, no it's not. There are dozens of clubs down south who host Armed Forces Days. 

4 minutes ago, Jodami said:

Don't think this has been particularly well handled to be honest. Signing the Armed Force Covenant is a good thing, often very difficult for ex-service people to integrate back into society and they deserve support. It's something I am happy for the club to sign up to. Having an Armed Forces Day, no matter what basis the small print defines it as, is symbolically attaching the club to an image that I and obviously many others do not agree with. Like other posters have pointed out why is there no NHS day or indeed Social Services day. It's also blatantly political and the club should avoid politics at all costs.  

Yep.  All it leads to is debates like it already has done.  It's not football related and should be kept away from football grounds.  

Chuck Berry
3 minutes ago, Strachsuit said:

Erm, no it's not. There are dozens of clubs down south who host Armed Forces Days. 

I'm talking Scotland, obviously.

Just now, Chuck Berry said:

I'm talking Scotland, obviously.

Ayr United, for one. 

I'm sure they get enough support as it is without a wee cheer from some of the supporters.  This is self publicity from the club which will backfire in some quarters. 

29 minutes ago, August Landmesser said:

That's statement says it all and sumsyou up.

the club are standing by the forces covenant that many businesses  do throughout the country. It's to support injured and bereaved men and women who will be there when the country needs them.