Uche Ikpeazu

tartofmidlothian

Bazzas right boot
56 minutes ago, 132goals1958 said:

Chris Sutton touted him for Celtic although he liked to be controversial. Still recall Uche brushing aside Tierney to set up a Lafferty goal and causing all sorts of mayhem in the Aberdeen defence when he was almost unplayable.

And then folk Sussed him out and realised that if you leave him with the ball he falls over or gives the ball away. 

He was great that game v Celtic tho. 

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Thomaso

• tartofmidlothian

• BackOfTheNet

• been here before

been here before
1 hour ago, Smith's right boot said:

And then folk Sussed him out and realised that if you leave him with the ball he falls over or gives the ball away. 

He was great that game v Celtic tho. 

Thats pretty much it in a nutshell.

Unknown bruiser and batterer prior to his injury v Motherwell shell schocking most teams. The penny then dropped he was pretty shite so just give him the ball and he'll **** it up. He was better than any opposition defender at breaking down Hearts attacks.

The only real exception to this was his step overs v Hibs. Hibs backed off and let him do it which usually resulted in nothing but Hibs, as ever, Hibsed it.

Edited by been here before

I feel sorry for the Boro fans. They’ll be salivating over his YouTube clips from last season.

They’ll figure it out soon enough. We should also remember he has had long injury spells over the last three seasons, including several months for Wycomb last season. 

Maroon Sailor

If Uche never wore a Hearts shirt again I suspect not many Tynie tears would be shed

A Levein type signing

Guest ToqueJambo

Started brilliantly but our refs gave him nothing and his response was to try to draw fouls instead. IT would be interesting to see if he's reffed differently in England. Could have done with him in the Championship as a bit of a battering ram for those 10 man defences we faced. Suspect he was one of the ones with a relegation clause though. Even if we'd wanted to keep him on, it's debatable he would have stayed.

Guest ToqueJambo
6 hours ago, Maroon Sailor said:

Sow wasn't far better- never in a million years was he far better.

What utter mince !

Two average players at best

If we're comparing their Hearts careers, it's night and day. Sow was fantastic for us. 2016/17 could have panned out very differently if we'd rejected the money for him. Probably would have been worth it too.

Maroon Sailor
4 minutes ago, ToqueJambo said:

If we're comparing their Hearts careers, it's night and day. Sow was fantastic for us. 2016/17 could have panned out very differently if we'd rejected the money for him. Probably would have been worth it too.

Not for me

I liked Sow more than Uche (both average) but they were no Sandy Clark or Laff

WoolfordsHearts
45 minutes ago, Maroon Sailor said:

Not for me

I liked Sow more than Uche (both average) but they were no Sandy Clark or Laff

Sow was a far better footballer than big Uche.

Lafferty and Sandy Clark shouldn't be mentioned in the same sentence imo.

Even though I did.😄

Maroon Sailor
1 minute ago, WoolfordsHearts said:

Sow was a far better footballer than big Uche.

Lafferty and Sandy Clark shouldn't be mentioned in the same sentence imo.

Even though I did.😄

Hearts have struggled to have a prolific goalscorer since Robbo. Laff has been the best in that respect. Clark was a class act

Sow and Uche - well we can all have our own thoughts on them - and that says everything you need to know about them. Jury well and truly out

7 hours ago, Maroon Sailor said:

Hearts have struggled to have a prolific goalscorer since Robbo. Laff has been the best in that respect. Clark was a class act

Sow and Uche - well we can all have our own thoughts on them - and that says everything you need to know about them. Jury well and truly out

If I'm walking into a room of hostiles and I had 1 player to pick for hauners from Sow, Uche, Lafferty and Clark. I'm walking in that room with Clark. 

Maybe one day we'll get another Robbo, JC and Big Sandy attack. 😭 Please. 🙏

Bazzas right boot
7 hours ago, Ray Gin said:

Sow scored 23 goals from us in 48 starts. He was prolific. 

Yip. 

Was part of an improving and decent side as well. 

We missed him whe he left. 

• 2 years later...
Just now, been here before said:

Righto.

I liked him. 

I know some didn't

I did. 

Thats all really. 

Thanks. 

The term journeyman gets chucked about a lot, and isn't always deserved. But big Uche is the very definition.

Edited by Batistuta87

I think its absolutely laughable he goes through a season as a striker scoring like 2 goals. 

Centre backs usually score more. Absolutely woeful. 

been here before
14 minutes ago, Batistuta87 said:

The term journeyman gets chucked about a lot, and isn't always deserved. But big Uche is the very definition.

As does the terms huddy, carthorse and dud.

4 minutes ago, OTT said:

I think its absolutely laughable he goes through a season as a striker scoring like 2 goals. 

He's almost the outfield version of Joel Pereira.

Good luck to him. He had heart. I remember after Levein was sacked, Austin McPhee played him once in the right of midfield, (can't remember against who) but he had a cracking game . Caused all sorts of problems for the opposition. Never played there again...

25 minutes ago, Colquhoun76 said:

Good luck to him. He had heart. I remember after Levein was sacked, Austin McPhee played him once in the right of midfield, (can't remember against who) but he had a cracking game . Caused all sorts of problems for the opposition. Never played there again...

😄.  Relegation season...nuff said 

William H. Bonney
26 minutes ago, Colquhoun76 said:

For a big guy, I always thought he was very soft. 

And shite. 

1 hour ago, Colquhoun76 said:

Not sure what game that was but I do remember him terrorising Tierney out wide and setting up a winner vs Celtic 

Ministryofdad

The time up in Perth sums up his hearts career. 

Slipped, fell over the football. 

It was the week after we were demoted 

Niemi’s gloves
16 minutes ago, Ministryofdad said:

Not sure that your last sentence makes sense. In any event, I think it was in the 3-3 draw, about six weeks before the season was brought to a premature end. 

been here before
24 minutes ago, Ministryofdad said:

Eh?

Uche fell over the ball in Perth in Feb 2020.

Big players can't be fouled, ask Kevin Kyle.

I liked Uche, he was absolutely unplayable vs ICT in the 5-0 league cup game. His link up play was superb. 

We got 300k for him which was great business and I wish him luck.

Edited by Bunny Munro

2 hours ago, OTT said:

Bit like Kevin Kyle for the majority of his career then if all you are counting is goals.

section s heart
6 hours ago, Colquhoun76 said:

Think it was 5-2 v St Midden, iirc the only worthwhile result under McPhee. Bizarre that he never played him there again. 

5 hours ago, Ministryofdad said:

Eh no, the week before we lost at St Mirren we drew at home to  Motherwell. 

A body builder trying to play football - poor excuse for a player. Whoever above said that teams sussed it was better to leave him alone for him to mess it up himself was spot on. 

Back to his level. How he got the moves he did after leaving us I'll never know. Presume it's due to his size and nothing else.

It used to bother me that he never celebrated with fans after scoring, instead always doing that big daft sprint over to the dugout to bumsook the manager and give him a big hug, while brushing and pushing off any teammates who came near him. 

Scored a couple of Derby goals though and pissed Hibs off so it's not all bad!

Opinionated Jambo

He has scored something like 5 goals in the last 3 seasons which is not great stats for a striker at all. He's had some decent moves since he's left Hearts somehow....

7 minutes ago, Shanks said:

I liked him and wish him well, not our best ever and not our worst.

Seemed to give his all.

My thoughts exactly.

11 minutes ago, Shanks said:

I liked him and wish him well, not our best ever and not our worst.

Seemed to give his all.

I liked him - was a different striker and gave us alternatives.

If you were to compile a list of our 50 best players and a list of our 50 worst players he wouldn’t be on either list

Doesn't use his attributes well enough. Looked a stupid footballer with little nous. Wish him well but shows how lucky some players have been financially, Uche would have collected a wedge over the years.

28 minutes ago, Section Q said:

Didn't we get around a £1m for him.....?

We sold him to Wycombe for a nominal fee. They then sold him for a rumoured £1m to Middlesbrough because Neil Warnock is mental. 

10 minutes ago, BigAlim said:

If you were to compile a list of our 50 best players and a list of our 50 worst players he wouldn’t be on either list

Nicely sums it up.

23 minutes ago, briever said:

I liked him - was a different striker and gave us alternatives.

Agreed . Yes at times unwatchable, at times unplayable. Unfortunately not enough of the latter .

Nothing like as bad as people saying here . 

What else is new

copa-mundial

The "Uche is so tough" thread was good for a laugh. 

Nothing against Uche at all. He was a very limited footballer. His biggest strength was his biggest weakness due to poor officiating in this country. 

I still laugh at Kieran Tierney bouncing off him, just before he set up Lafferty in the 1-0 win. 

Because he was a unit, Levein used him as a target man, so most of the time he was receiving long balls with his back to the goas, usually with at least 2 opponents hanging on and fouling him. Was unfairly penalised a lot by Scottish referees.  When he wasn't used that way he looked a lot better and when he got the chance to run at defenders at pace he was pretty unplayable but unfortunately he was always used as a battering ram.   Not the silkiest player but he cored a couple of face saving goals against the vermin. No where near as bad as some on here make him out to be