Uche Ikpeazu

tartofmidlothian

Fozzyonthefence
2 minutes ago, Smoked-Glass said:

Scored twice v hibs. 

Guy deserves a medal 

Pity he couldn’t score against anyone else.  He’ll be in League 1 next season, probably the right level for someone with such limited ability.  

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Thomaso

• tartofmidlothian

• BackOfTheNet

• been here before

2 hours ago, Tazio said:

Once the refs had made him a target you could see him getting more and more frustrated in games and it affected his performances. 

Sadly true.

2 hours ago, Musemic said:

Selective memories to the fore tonight. Sure he was big and strong but, if we're being honest, he was very limited and had little or no game awareness. Sure, the refs in Scotland gave him nothing but he appeared unwilling or incapable of changing his game to prevent him falling foul of refs all the time. 

I think you , and others , are displaying the selective memory syndrome .

Of course he had some limitations but he had , as already discussed , loads of attributes

Thought we were onto something when he first rocked up, a modern day DeVries. His first few games were decent enough, scored some good goals, but then seemed to go completely off the boil. He just never looked comfortable with a ball at his feet, his kicking at times looked utterly bizzare and awkward. 

Watching the first goal replay earlier in the thread, I was expecting this amazing play from Uche. He held off the defender well enough (as you would expect for someone his size) but got extremely lucky his squaffed shot come cross that bounced off someone into the path of the goal scorer.

I liked him, thought he had a great work ethic in training, and always thought he would have been handy in the Championship, but nowhere near good enough for the being back in the Premiership. 

If he would just have stayed on his feet and ran at defenders with or without the ball he'd have been a excellent for Hearts. Pity. 

Bazzas right boot

Is every ex player great and every current player shite? 

How come players that posters said were shite when at us suddenly become great once they've left? 

Uche had his strengths and  had his moments for us but he wasn't good enough. 

Uche, with Robinson supporting... I can see it now 😭

8 hours ago, john thomas said:

I think you , and others , are displaying the selective memory syndrome .

Of course he had some limitations but he had , as already discussed , loads of attributes

At our level. In fact at levels below the real elite, top 2 or 3 clubs in the top 2 or 3 leagues. It is about using the attributes of the players you have.

Of course you can have a plan abd make signings according to it. But with managerial changes being so prevalent, management is about getting the best out of what you have.

Levein as tasked heavily with this due to our injuries, but he failed miserably to use what he had. You play to Uches strengths, you have a potent weapon. We very rarely did. There are many examples of this unfortunately and that's why we were bottom of the league.

14 hours ago, ToqueJambo said:

Two things made me realise how far behind English football we are physically and in terms of conditioning and diet: Seeing Spurs up close at Tynecastle in the 0-5 game - every one of them an absolute monster, including someone I previously thought was a wee Robbo type, Jermaine Defoe - and seeing Berra go from big laddie to the Terminator almost overnight when he moved to Wolves.

You don't get into that condition on a diet of monster munch, nandos and running up and down sand dunes that's for sure.

Another example, though from Monaco, when John Collins guested for Hibs in Craig Levein's benefit match in 1997 (the season Hibs were relegated and we won the cup).

Collins looked like he was another species (and in a good way).

Nelly Terraces
6 minutes ago, 4marsbars said:

Another example, though from Monaco, when John Collins guested for Hibs in Craig Levein's benefit match in 1997 (the season Hibs were relegated and we won the cup).

Collins looked like he was another species (and in a good way).

Robbie Neilson himself pointed out how much fitter/stronger players were down South compared to up here (this was when he was either at MKD or not much long after he left).

Pretty scandalous & shows how neanderthal our coaches etc are that even this basic aspect of the modern game passes the footballing backwater that is Scotland by. 

Edited by Nelly Terraces

4 minutes ago, Nelly Terraces said:

Robbie Neilson himself pointed out how much fitter/stronger players were down South compared to up here (this was when he was either at MKD or not much long after he left).

Pretty scandalous & shows how neanderthal our coaches etc are that even this basic aspect of the modern game passes the footballing backwater that is Scotland by. 

The problem is having said that, Hearts don't appear to be any fitter than any other team. 

A_A wehatethehibs

Good assist from Uche against Spurs. Ragdolled the Spurs Center half as usual. 

Would have been given as a foul in Scotland due to referees targeting him. A disgrace that Hearts fans witnessed game after game, that would never get reported by our tin pot Glasgow media.

Let’s hope our new Center forward is not the victim of the same bias. 

34 minutes ago, A_A wehatethehibs said:

Would have been given as a foul in Scotland due to referees targeting him. A disgrace that Hearts fans witnessed game after game, that would never get reported by our tin pot Glasgow media.

Absolutely spot on.  In Scotland they cottoned on and the defender would go down dragging Uche with him and get the foul.

Scottish team managers know how woeful our refs are and knew that they could be so easily duped.

As it was a major part of Uche's game, it was never going to be allowed to work and he must have been thoroughly sick/disheartened by our little Hitler refs' incompetence.

4 hours ago, Smith's right boot said:

Is every ex player great and every current player shite? 

How come players that posters said were shite when at us suddenly become great once they've left? 

Uche had his strengths and  had his moments for us but he wasn't good enough. 

Uche, with Robinson supporting... I can see it now 😭

Scott Robinson is one of those rarities who was at Hearts and didn’t really develop BUT has rescued his career and is now playing (very well I might add)at a higher level than Hearts (sadly that’s beyond even you arguing about it just now)we couldn’t afford to sign him now even if we were so minded. I imagine he’ll win a medal this season. Hats off to the laddie. Hard work and determination added to  the talent he was given. 

10 minutes ago, colinmaroon said:

Absolutely spot on.  In Scotland they cottoned on and the defender would go down dragging Uche with him and get the foul.

Scottish team managers know how woeful our refs are and knew that they could be so easily duped.

As it was a major part of Uche's game, it was never going to be allowed to work and he must have been thoroughly sick/disheartened by our little Hitler refs' incompetence.

This also relates to some of our recent threads on pundits and punditry.

There is rarely any in-depth analysis of this kind of thing, looking in close-up at particular challenges and scrutinising why fouls were (or were not) given.

56 minutes ago, A_A wehatethehibs said:

That is a fair interpretation. First 10 games in Scotland he terrorised CBs, then suddenly he was getting penalised every time and became utterly ineffective as a result...We've tried this a few times under Neilson and Levein with big No 9's...The SFA just don't allow it, except under MON with Hartson & Sutton. Perhaps that is the key, 2 big strikers? We were pretty strong with Jankauskas and Bednar (but in that case it was Bednar being hurt which ended it)...

I felt the first half Tottenham couldn't handle him but the second half he was sussed out, and the ref stopped giving him much too. We got to see his usual 'OMG' face as he picks himself off the ground and looking towards the ref wondering why he got nout.

Just now, Nelly Terraces said:

Let's not forget that when Stendel arrived he said himself he was shocked at the condition of the players for a professional football club. It would've taken him around 18 months to turn the squad around completely, losing plenty that weren't good enough as well as recruiting and working with others he thought were worth working with. Probably diet changes and everything. When you hear someone saying that and you look at the amount of injuries we had at that time you do start to wonder what the hell was going on in training and how players were coached (although i was already thinking all that before he arrived).

Side-note....i always remember, under Levein, the likes of Dundee coming for a mid-week match and their players being first to every 50-50 while ours looked sluggish, unfit and uninterested. The grandson was there for his first ever game (which we lost) and he's never wanted to go back. He's been winding his Dad up about liking Celtic (that's not happening!)

Back on topic...Scotland will continue to be a backwater for the forseeable future when all the hierarchy are interested in is Celtic and Rangers. Anyone else dare do something about that like Romanov tried is brought down hard with a bump and the SPFL and referees between them (nudge-nudge,wink-wink) made sure Hearts were not going to challenge the old firm. 

3 hours ago, A_A wehatethehibs said:

Aye that's a bit of a worry for me. 

Refs will jump on anything that might disadvantage us. 

3 hours ago, Nelly Terraces said:

The thing is when Neilson was here first time as manager I am pretty sure he was doing triple training sessions to get fitness levels high. 

On Saturday, at Dundee and a few other times teams have looked fitter than us. 

Why can't he implement the same thing or is it more down to the lack of application and desire on the pitch?? 

Nelly Terraces
1 hour ago, Robbo-Jambo said:

The thing is when Neilson was here first time as manager I am pretty sure he was doing triple training sessions to get fitness levels high. 

On Saturday, at Dundee and a few other times teams have looked fitter than us. 

Why can't he implement the same thing or is it more down to the lack of application and desire on the pitch?? 

Yeah my point wasn’t about Robbie Neilson & Hearts in particular mate, it was more about Scottish football in general. To have people come into our game (ie Stendel) & declare the players unfit in terms of their overall conditioning just about sums the amateurish way things are done here.

But, you’re quite right to say Robbie introduced 3X sessions per day & I’d guess at least 1 of those would concentrate on building aerobic capability & toning (i.e. being able to run for 90 minutes & also be strong physically. No idea whether he still does that but if so it doesn’t seem to transfer into the performances on a match day.

been here before
5 hours ago, A_A wehatethehibs said:

Good assist from Uche against Spurs.

Goes to show how much of a ridiculous thing these 'assist' stats are.

Uche fires the ball across the 6 yard box it then bounces off the Spurs no6 and lands nicely at the feet of the Wycombe player.

That ball could have went anywhere off the 6. It wasnt the skill of Uche that put it into the scorers path.

At least he stayed on his feet though so lets give him that.

Edited by been here before

9 minutes ago, been here before said:

Uche fires the ball across the 6 yard box it then bounces off the Spurs no6 and lands nicely at the feet of the Wycombe player.

That ball could have went anywhere off the 6. It wasnt the skill of Uche that put it into the scorers path.

To be fair a reasonable amount of goals involve deflections as well. 

4 hours ago, JimmyCant said:

Scott Robinson is one of those rarities who was at Hearts and didn’t really develop BUT has rescued his career and is now playing (very well I might add)at a higher level than Hearts (sadly that’s beyond even you arguing about it just now)we couldn’t afford to sign him now even if we were so minded. I imagine he’ll win a medal this season. Hats off to the laddie. Hard work and determination added to  the talent he was given. 

steady on :lol:

If Hearts wanted Scott Robinson back he'd be here tomorrow

A_A wehatethehibs
19 minutes ago, been here before said:

He created that opportunity so using the term “assist” is just a way to credit that. It’s just a way of giving someone credit when their attacking play / final ball has resulted in a goal but they didn’t score it. Financially a goalscorer gets a £ bonus for a goal. Even if it’s just a tap in. These days at the top level, the assist gets a wee bonus as well. John Colquhoun would have made a fortune and would have deserved it. 

In the old days folk would’ve said, Robbo scored but fans would acknowledge that JC “made” the goal for him. The term “assist” is just the modern way of saying exactly the same sort of thing. And you use it as an incentive for players. What exactly is the problem with it? 

been here before
3 minutes ago, A_A wehatethehibs said:

He created that opportunity so using the term “assist” is just a way to credit that. It’s just a way of giving someone credit when their attacking play / final ball has resulted in a goal but they didn’t score it. Financially a goalscorer gets a £ bonus for a goal. Even if it’s just a tap in. These days at the top level, the assist gets a wee bonus as well. John Colquhoun would have made a fortune and would have deserved it. 

In the old days folk would’ve said, Robbo scored but fans would acknowledge that JC “made” the goal for him. The term “assist” is just the modern way of saying exactly the same sort of thing. And you use it as an incentive for players. What exactly is the problem with it? 

Aye I know what they are and I know how ridiculous a term it is. Why does the boy who passed it to Uche not get some sort of credit?

Or the Spurs no 6? An own assist maybe.

Its made up shite for bookies, gamblers and the Sky generation who cant understand games without 'stats'.

5 hours ago, Spellczech said:

That is a fair interpretation. First 10 games in Scotland he terrorised CBs, then suddenly he was getting penalised every time and became utterly ineffective as a result...We've tried this a few times under Neilson and Levein with big No 9's...The SFA just don't allow it, except under MON with Hartson & Sutton. Perhaps that is the key, 2 big strikers? We were pretty strong with Jankauskas and Bednar (but in that case it was Bednar being hurt which ended it)...

The key is to play at Celtic or Rangers

A_A wehatethehibs
17 minutes ago, been here before said:

Aye I know what they are and I know how ridiculous a term it is. Why does the boy who passed it to Uche not get some sort of credit?

Or the Spurs no 6? An own assist maybe.

Its made up shite for bookies, gamblers and the Sky generation who cant understand games without 'stats'.

It is an idiotic thing to take issue with, and you make an arse of yourself in doing so 

20 hours ago, Fozzyonthefence said:

Pity he couldn’t score against anyone else.  He’ll be in League 1 next season, probably the right level for someone with such limited ability.  

Still.. 2 crucial goals v that lot. 

been here before
17 minutes ago, A_A wehatethehibs said:

It is an idiotic thing to take issue with, and you make an arse of yourself in doing so 

Awwww bless.

:rofl:

40 minutes ago, been here before said:

I was actually just thinking my school boy days. Getting asked how I played that day and saying "didnae score, but I laid 2 on" 😄

been here before
2 minutes ago, Tommy Brown said:

I was actually just thinking my school boy days. Getting asked how I played that day and saying "didnae score, but I laid 2 on" 😄

Well you now have 2 assists.

Just think how much better your life could have been if someone counted them

:lol:

6 hours ago, Nelly Terraces said:

Yeah my point wasn’t about Robbie Neilson & Hearts in particular mate, it was more about Scottish football in general. To have people come into our game (ie Stendel) & declare the players unfit in terms of their overall conditioning just about sums the amateurish way things are done here.

But, you’re quite right to say Robbie introduced 3X sessions per day & I’d guess at least 1 of those would concentrate on building aerobic capability & toning (i.e. being able to run for 90 minutes & also be strong physically. No idea whether he still does that but if so it doesn’t seem to transfer into the performances on a match day.

Two points:

First, the pandemic is problematic with such a regime

Second, they're too old compared to the team back then.

10 minutes ago, Salad Fingers said:

It’s a stupid tweet from Wycombe, but I would love to see the users of JKB feign outrage and scoff at it when Wycombe are basically talking about most of them.

jamboinglasgow

Wycombe seem to have misread the room with Uche and Hearts fans. Vast majority liked him and wished him well going to Wycombe. Seems a stupid dig for a club to do.

Completely agree with this journalist

7 minutes ago, jamboinglasgow said:

Wycombe seem to have misread the room with Uche and Hearts fans. Vast majority liked him and wished him well going to Wycombe. Seems a stupid dig for a club to do.

Completely agree with this journalist

Left with everyone's best wishes, most certainly mine. 🤗

As much as we make think Wycombe’s tweet was stupid (and it was), there’s a reason they tweeted it - and that’s because some of the Hearts support were not sad to see him go and didn’t wish him all the best when he left. Any thread that brings his name up has more people bad mouthing him than saying good things and we all know it. It’s pretty telling that this thread has so few posts since the tweet, as the usual culprits who would say bad things know very well Wycombe’s tweet was aimed at them.

Guest ToqueJambo

Someone please just switch off Twitter. It's getting embarrassing now, especially with football accounts of professional teams being run by kids it seems.

I wouldn't mind if newspapers didn't continually run "Someone tweeted something and someone else tweeted something back" stories. May as well run "two men in a pub argue about something" stories.

Uche was class, a good lad who gave a damn good showing for Hearts.  He actually looked committed up front, and was let down by the poor standard of referees who seem to think "you're a big lad, so you can't have been fouled". 

Wycombe Wanderers can **** right off. Tinpot club who are rock bottom of the league.  Their ambitions are winning the third tier of English football, maybe getting a small run in the FA cup, and at a real push, staying in the Championship.  Our ambitions, and recent past, are playing in Europe, something they will never ever do. 

Hope their social media staff choke on their tweet. 

been here before
43 minutes ago, BackOfTheNet said:

It’s pretty telling that this thread has so few posts since the tweet, as the usual culprits who would say bad things know very well Wycombe’s tweet was aimed at them.

I think Uche, whilst he seemed a nice enough and commited individual was on the whole pish and Ive said as much on this and other threads.

Is the reason Ive never posted in the last couple of hours because Wycombe 'aimed a Tweet at me'? Aye thats right.

Im not busy doing other stuff, reading other threads, eating, watching the telly etc but its because some tinpot shitehouse club 'aimed a tweet in my direction'. I worry that much about tweets firing in my direction Im not even on twatter.  Frankly youre 'theory' is laughable. :rofl:

Good to see Uches goal kept the defecit down to 5 though.

Just now, been here before said:

I think Uche, whilst he seemed a nice enough and commited individual was on the whole pish and Ive said as much on this and other threads.

Is the reason Ive never posted in the last couple of hours because Wycombe 'aimed a Tweet at me'? Aye thats right.

Im not busy doing other stuff, reading other threads, eating etc but its because some tinpot shitehouse club 'aimed a tweet in my direction'. I worry that much about tweets firing in my direction Im not even on twatter.  Frankly youre 'theory' is laughable. :rofl:

Good to see Uches goal kept the defecit down to 5 though.

Why do you think I aimed my post specifically at you? You know very well that when something happens Hearts related a thread gets started/bumped on here and people pile in. Just like they have the transfer, Naismith and Ginnelly threads tonight, they’re jumping up pages at the rate of knots. But this thread has been quieter, so I found that telling is all. People acting like Wycombe plucked their jibe out of thin air and that Uche was universally liked is what is laughable. 

McGlynn The Money
50 minutes ago, BackOfTheNet said:

As much as we make think Wycombe’s tweet was stupid (and it was), there’s a reason they tweeted it - and that’s because some of the Hearts support were not sad to see him go and didn’t wish him all the best when he left. Any thread that brings his name up has more people bad mouthing him than saying good things and we all know it. It’s pretty telling that this thread has so few posts since the tweet, as the usual culprits who would say bad things know very well Wycombe’s tweet was aimed at them.

:what:

McGlynn The Money
42 minutes ago, tian447 said:

Uche was class, a good lad who gave a damn good showing for Hearts.  He actually looked committed up front, and was let down by the poor standard of referees who seem to think "you're a big lad, so you can't have been fouled". 

Wycombe Wanderers can **** right off. Tinpot club who are rock bottom of the league.  Their ambitions are winning the third tier of English football, maybe getting a small run in the FA cup, and at a real push, staying in the Championship.  Our ambitions, and recent past, are playing in Europe, something they will never ever do. 

Hope their social media staff choke on their tweet. 

"Uche was class"

:what:

I liked the big guy and celebrated his goals, especially against Hibs, but come on.  Started off well but ran out of steam once other teams sussed him out.

A very limited footballer, yes. Class, no.

been here before
3 minutes ago, BackOfTheNet said:

Why do you think I aimed my post specifically at you? You know very well that when something happens Hearts related a thread gets started/bumped on here and people pile in. Just like they have the transfer, Naismith and Ginnelly threads tonight, they’re jumping up pages at the rate of knots. But this thread has been quieter, so I found that telling is all. People acting like Wycombe plucked their jibe out of thin air and that Uche was universally liked is what is laughable. 

I dont think you aimed it specifucally at me but given yourr slavering about the "usual suspects" I thought Id put my head above the parapet and take a hit over your ridiculous theory just to show that those of ud who dont really rate Uche arent really all that scared of Wycombe 'aiming a tweet in our direction'.

Im speaking out so others dont have to suffer in such a heinous way.