Most over rated historical figures (past/present)

i8hibsh

2 easy ones for me

'Princess' Diana

Nelson Mandella

who is yours?

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply
William Wallace

Bigot!!!!

SUSS I wont have you saying that about our national hero

He fought the nasty english and saved our country

Freeeeeeeeeeeeeeedom!

markletissier

not exactly an over-rated historical figure, but i despise the *******isation of che guevara's famous portrait.

not exactly an over-rated historical figure, but i despise the *******isation of che guevara's famous portrait.

I hate how all the douche bags walk about wearing Che Guevara tshirts etc

Why I ask why?

No through lack of trying tho!;)

A few slaps n scratches is not a No SUSS ok!

markletissier

in the vast majority of cases where his face is used it's the antithesis of what the man stood for.

Craig Gordons Gloves

Thatcher - engineered a war to win an election, destroyed communities and industries yet many view her as saving the UK.

Bonnie Prince Charlie - well over rated. Even dressed as a bird to run away. Could have taken London but decided not to. *****!

Dont forget Fat Alex and his bigot brigade.

I wish SUSS

but unfortunately the fat man is not history ;)

davemclaren
I wish SUSS

but unfortunately the fat man is not history ;)

You need to get over your obsession with Alex. It's not good for you and SUSS is now getting the affliction. ;)

Thatcher - engineered a war to win an election, destroyed communities and industries yet many view her as saving the UK.

Bonnie Prince Charlie - well over rated. Even dressed as a bird to run away. Could have taken London but decided not to. *****!

A war that ended 3 years before her next election?

destroyed communities? mining was and is dead. It was not making money, it was wasting money. Any leader with half a brain would have closed them.

Milk snatcher - Britian spent ?9 million a year on free milk(more than on books and new buildings). Most of the milk was going to waste as it was not refrigerated. - again very sensible and made sense

She enpowered people into owning their own homes and making more money

she made mistakes (35 years in Westminster - she is bound to) but I definately argue she was not over rated

she lead a country how it should be lead. She was a workaholic and so so passionate into making Britain great.

Her determination knocked down so many prejudices and barriers to move Britian into the 20th century by having a first female leader.

she had world leaders sacred of her, not a a doormat like every one of her succesors

markletissier

to quote the exploited. MAGGIE, MAGGIE YA *****, maggie maggie maggie maggie ya *****in *****.

no elegantly put but brilliant all the same.

You need to get over your obsession with Alex. It's not good for you and SUSS is now getting the affliction. ;)

But DM with all due respect he is in my face every day.

I object to every inhallation of air he makes.

We are fortunate to live in a society where we can all disagree :)

If we are talking about dead terrorist **** like che I'd add bobby sands to the list.

Or if we're on religious figures how about the last pope, continuing to preach that contraception is a sin whilst HIV/aids marches on unchecked across the world isnae the nicest thing ever done..

If we are talking about dead terrorist **** like che I'd add bobby sands to the list.

Or if we're on religious figures how about the last pope, continuing to preach that contraception is a sin whilst HIV/aids marches on unchecked across the world isnae the nicest thing ever done..

and concealing child abuse - FACT!

You are so wrong on around 99% of your points, however I will only pull you up on the first one, Britain won the Falklands war in1982, Thatcher won her second term in 1983. hardly 3 years, she needed the war to win and she got it. I will gladly rejoice when she dies, auld feckin boot.

yup silly me

however all other points are fact

Q.Was coal mining dead? was it making Britian money or losing Britian money?

Q.Did she make it easy for people to own their own homes

Q.Was school milk the biggest waste of money EVER?

Sheriff Fatman
Milk snatcher - Britian spent ?9 million a year on free milk(more than on books and new buildings). Most of the milk was going to waste as it was not refrigerated. - again very sensible and made sense

Unfortunately for the people who use it against her (and yourself for using it as a plus point) Thatcher was not responsible for the taking a way of free milk from schools. It was a cabinet decision and she didn't even come up with the idea. It just so happened she was education secretary when it happened.

yup silly me

God, I am getting tired. Coal mining was and still could be the cheapest form of fuel to be naturally man power processed. There are still vast amounts of untouched coal reserves all over Britain. However, this was never a part of the Pro-Nuclear Thatcherite government. On your second point I have to agree, however, the mid 80's were a money making frenzy if you were working in the City or in some other profession where you relied on charging customers well over the odds for services provided, and what happened, yes it all came crashing back down to Earth on, hang on, oh yes, about 6 months after she was re elected in 1987. Now as for the milk, I still remember getting my free milk back in primary, it was totally appreciated back then as it was as said free, unfortunately it was spoiled by the ***** in what was termed back then as fee paying schools being afforded the same privilege and totally abusing it. As I said I am tired and I will still rejoice when the auld boot snuffs it.

Craig Gordons Gloves

destroyed communities? mining was and is dead. It was not making money, it was wasting money. Any leader with half a brain would have closed them.

she made mistakes (35 years in Westminster - she is bound to) but I definately argue she was not over rated

she lead a country how it should be lead. She was a workaholic and so so passionate into making Britain great.

Her determination knocked down so many prejudices and barriers to move Britian into the 20th century by having a first female leader.

she had world leaders sacred of her, not a a doormat like every one of her succesors

i didnt mention mining - what about the steel industry in lanarkshire, the shipyards on the clyde - just because they weren't out in the sticks with a collection of houses around them doesnt mean that their decimation by thatcher didnt destroy communities.

She empowered people to work harder, cos if they didnt they found their council house being bought from them, she empowered the greed is good factor and i'm glad she had it hard on the skivers and spongers but many others in the lower income levels were affected by her policies - in a negative way. She turned the UK into a service economy which has been perpetuated further by later governments - leading to the breakdown of community/social spirit.

Anyway - the question was who do i think is over rated - and i think she was.

i didnt mention mining - what about the steel industry in lanarkshire, the shipyards on the clyde - just because they weren't out in the sticks with a collection of houses around them doesnt mean that their decimation by thatcher didnt destroy communities.

She empowered people to work harder, cos if they didnt they found their council house being bought from them, she empowered the greed is good factor and i'm glad she had it hard on the skivers and spongers but many others in the lower income levels were affected by her policies - in a negative way. She turned the UK into a service economy which has been perpetuated further by later governments - leading to the breakdown of community/social spirit.

Anyway - the question was who do i think is over rated - and i think she was.

Couldn't have put it better (and probably didn't) myself, that old cow totally wasted communities all over Britain with a money is everything philosophy and anyway my 83 year old mum hates her so that is good enough for me, I once again will rejoice when she pops it.......................Thatcher that is.....not my mum.:)

another point re thatcher that you think was GOOD i8, was the housing thing

yes, while she allowed many of our parents to buy their council homes, they never compensated as they said they would, by building more, new housing leading now to the "affordable housing" problems and the years many people spend on housings lists

while she may have been inspirational to some, she destroyed entire communities, families and workplaces. thanks to toggie for posting what i was going to point out re: untapped coal reserves etc.

thatcher WAS an evil old cow, as were most tories at that time, and even today some of that mindset exists

i forking hate the tories as i saw, growing up what it did to people. i know of 3 families in my area growing up where the father committed suicide thinking there was no way out!

i do not like the mindset, i do not like the belief system and i do not like the way that the tories treated the common man

i rarely get involved in political discussions here, or indeed many place, as it is something that really rips my knitting, especially in younger people who think the tories are great cos they do not remember not did they see the devastation they caused

Sheriff Fatman

yes, while she allowed many of our parents to buy their council homes, they never compensated as they said they would, by building more, new housing leading now to the "affordable housing" problems and the years many people spend on housings lists

She was also responsible for the deregulation of the mortgage industry, which was the first step in the process that has led us to the fubar that is the housing market at the moment.

while she may have been inspirational to some, she destroyed entire communities, families and workplaces. thanks to toggie for posting what i was going to point out re: untapped coal reserves etc.

thatcher WAS an evil old cow, as were most tories at that time, and even today some of that mindset exists

i forking hate the tories as i saw, growing up what it did to people. i know of 3 families in my area growing up where the father committed suicide thinking there was no way out!

i do not like the mindset, i do not like the belief system and i do not like the way that the tories treated the common man

i rarely get involved in political discussions here, or indeed many place, as it is something that really rips my knitting, especially in younger people who think the tories are great cos they do not remember not did they see the devastation they caused

Christ you just can't get the recognition these days, thanks Bev!!!!:wacko:

Dix Handley

:bravo:

This_Machine_Kills_Fascists.gif

Grasping parents beget grasping kids..beget?

Spot on!..can we have our council housing back please?

I vote for Thatcher...consign her to her own airbrushed history.

shaun.lawson
yup silly me

What happened to the communities where the mines were shut down, i8? And did Thatcher's government care about them at all?

As for "making it easy for people to own their own homes": someone clearly hasn't heard of negative equity. A disaster, and the direct result of government policy. Thatcher and Nigel Lawson (no relation, before anyone asks!) oversaw an economic miracle - or rather, took us from one slump to another.

shaun.lawson
2 easy ones for me

'Princess' Diana

Nelson Mandela

who is yours?

Why?

...she had world leaders sacred of her, not a a doormat like every one of her succesors

She was Ronald Reagan’s bitch.

maroonlegions

EH YOU FORGOT THE POLL TAX, she rammed up the poor"s sun don't shines and we in Scotland got it first ;), she attacked a ARGIE SHIP THAT WAS HEADING AWAY FROM THE NO GO ZONE,:P she was responsible for a 1000 deaths in that war , no matter how you look at the free milk she stopped she still took it away from poor kids mouths(caring eh);) she was a union basher and would have been happy to see all unions go down the toilet and create a 18th century work house for workers :cool:, she was DRACONIAN IN HER ACTIONS AND WAYS, a very unpopular prime minister , the mass protests at the poll tax were proof of that , she aimed to please middle class ,middle England , was she not really embarrassed by questions by a young girl on a talk show about the Falklands war and struggled and tried to avoid answering her questions.:rolleyes:

maroonlegions

The government is predicting that some 15m people will revolt against Tony Blair?s controversial ID card scheme by refusing to produce the new cards or provide personal data on demand.

The forecast is made in documents released by the Home Office under the Freedom of Information Act. The papers show ministers expect national protests similar to the poll tax rebellions of the Thatcher era, with millions prepared to risk criminal prosecution. :rolleyes:;)

Stewart MacD
Can you have a present historical figure?

No, but you can have a present historic figure e.g. Nelson Mandela.

Archived