Most over rated historical figures (past/present)

i8hibsh

scott_jambo
another point re thatcher that you think was GOOD i8, was the housing thing

yes, while she allowed many of our parents to buy their council homes, they never compensated as they said they would, by building more, new housing leading now to the "affordable housing" problems and the years many people spend on housings lists

while she may have been inspirational to some, she destroyed entire communities, families and workplaces. thanks to toggie for posting what i was going to point out re: untapped coal reserves etc.

thatcher WAS an evil old cow, as were most tories at that time, and even today some of that mindset exists

i forking hate the tories as i saw, growing up what it did to people. i know of 3 families in my area growing up where the father committed suicide thinking there was no way out!

i do not like the mindset, i do not like the belief system and i do not like the way that the tories treated the common man

i rarely get involved in political discussions here, or indeed many place, as it is something that really rips my knitting, especially in younger people who think the tories are great cos they do not remember not did they see the devastation they caused.

Im left of centre, but i dont think we should abandon Democracy. There are only two parties in Britain capable of winning an election. Without a Tory challenge, Labour will remain a slightly right of centre party.

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply
So killing innocent foreigners is fine? ;)

It was necessary to win the war. In 1940 the RAF were the only allied force taking the war to Germans on German soil.

At first only dockyards and munition factories etc. were targeted. All that changed after Coventry was hit.

There is an agruement that Bomber Command almost won the war through breaking German spirit.

Not pleasant, but necessary.

John Findlay

I've never known any war take place to date where Innocent people were not killed.

John

davemclaren
I've never known any war take place to date where Innocent people were not killed.

John

That's true, but it's the level of intent that is the question.

John Findlay
Don't be revisionist John. It wasn't the Sun what won it.

Far from being revionist. I lived through it.

Scargill was no strategist. He played a big part in the downfall of the mining industry.

John

Walter Kidd
Far from being revionist. I lived through it.

Scargill was no strategist. He played a big part in the downfall of the mining industry.

John

As did I. Thatcher decided to "do" the miners due to Gormley taking Heath out.

I've a bottle of 25 year old Macallan to celebrate her death.

John Findlay

My point exactly. Scragill made it easy for her as he was no Gormley.

John

Walter Kidd

I disagree. Nottingham scabs and the Metropolitan Police won the miners war with Thatcher and no one will ever convince me otherwise.

Your Scargill one is wrong. Everything the man was fighting for came true. If it wasn't for the scabs from Nottingham he would have won.

Sadly everything the witch on the other side was fighting for came true also!

2 self publicists who were hellbent on confrontation.

And there caught in the middle based in Doncaster a relitively small family business went to the wall because the miners owed ?4 million unsecured to the Branch of the Yorkshire bank that I was with. Multiply that by all the branches across the Bank's estate and their decision that the Bank wouldn't go burst(as much true now as then) meant the end for me. Couldn't fault people forced to strike break to feed their starving families couldn't fault those who chose to stay out but even over 20 years later there are still huge family rifts because of that time. May both she and he rot in hell for eternity

I'd say Churchill is a tad over-rated as well, nobody ever remembers he was booted out straight after the war and had an inglorious second Premiership.

A fair point, however it is as the war leader that he is most remembered. As such to say he is over rated is not strictly correct in that aspect of his career.

Sheriff Fatman
These were open and declared wars, and were not perpetrated against their own people.

Many innocent people are killed in internal civil wars, that doesn't make it anymore right or anymore wrong than what happens in external wars. Oliver Cromwell killed thousands of innocent civilians, some of his motives for what he did were right (ie trying to force the supremacy of Parliment). He was still a complete git though.

Another completely overrated historical figure is Henry Ford, the guy had nothing good about him. He was an out and out Nazi.

auldbauldfan

Whilst I agree with some of the remarks about Scargill predicting the destruction of the coal industry, he certainly contributed to the loss of the strike through his inept leadership. The timing of the strike at a time when stockpiles of coal were huge beggars belief.

My own nomination would be Mother Teresa. And before anyone accuses me of being "anti-Catholic", I am not - I am anti-religion. Anyone who can claim that "the greatest danger facing humanity is abortion" should not be taken seriously.

I got a warning for saying something similar, I will be taking a day off work that day, and getting absolutely rat arsed.

Archived