Top Posters In This Topic

• Maroon Sailor

• Radio Ga Ga

• luckyBatistuta

• ¼½¾

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

periodictabledancer

Looking at the far right of pic - which I think I recognise : is this the site of the (now) Playhouse ? 

6fb27d70c88af770bb13b04c668d3006.jpg

8 minutes ago, periodictabledancer said:

Looking at the far right of pic - which I think I recognise : is this the site of the (now) Playhouse ? 

6fb27d70c88af770bb13b04c668d3006.jpg

Going by the windows of the building in the left then yes. The Playhouse opened in 1929 so is young compared to other Edinburgh theatres. 

IMG_0798.jpeg

9 minutes ago, Tazio said:

Going by the windows of the building in the left then yes. The Playhouse opened in 1929 so is young compared to other Edinburgh theatres. 

IMG_0798.jpeg

And the castellation above the door of the old church/Glasshouse hotel.

Footballfirst
54 minutes ago, Daktari said:

As my previous post, but defeating my attempts to load a screen shot! Building on the left is 94 George Street, now occupied by Cruise. 👍

After further review, I think that it could be in Frederick St.

I had a look at the PO directory for 1910/11. There is a David Gardiner & Co listed at 18 Frederick Street.

https://digital.nls.uk/directories/browse/archive/85922611

image.png.29c54b86ce69a9046988bc0e95dc7a1c.png

Approximate location in Frederick St. of where Gardiner's shop may have been. In the old photo, is it a typewriter in the window and does the star relate to the "Star Brand ribbons"?  Drop in roofline to the right looks ok, chimneys look right, windows partly ok. Building on the left probably post dates the old image.

Fred1.thumb.jpg.72d8f6c88c1289e3ab86c2e6ffb04bd9.jpg

Edited by Footballfirst

ArcticJambo
20 hours ago, Daktari said:

It's George Street, but one building to the left of the one suggested above where Slaters is now. The old shop in the photo is now the site of the Masonic Lodge. I can't get my screen shot to load unfortunately! Building on the left is 94 George St, Now occupied by Cruise.  

As my previous post, but defeating my attempts to load a screen shot! Building on the left is 94 George Street, now occupied by Cruise. 👍

Screenshot 2024-01-15 at 23.02.32.png

Got the screen shot to load!

Well spotted on #94, it's a fairly intricately crafted building. Thanks, Dak. :thumbsup:

Apparently Freemasons' Hall (#96) was built between 1911-12, and houses a museum of masonic treasures.

19 hours ago, PaddysBar said:

And one of the few demolitions that actually improved things. 

But of course it wasn't the 60/70s so there's your validation, correct imo. Though I do like the typically George St shop fronts that were removed. #94 seems to have perhaps originally been the outlier in that section, strangely enough.

On 15/01/2024 at 22:19, tightrope said:

wee Rab Ramsay and Craig Dickson and loads of other mates from back then. Shit days indeed.

Recognise a few other faces - Phottie, Scoonie, Magoo, Jacko, Pod, Craig Dickson was he aka as big Dumbo?

And Wee Rab, some boy he was, played juvenile football with him, one of those boys that could have made it if didn’t have all the other stuff going on. 

Don’t see our resident poster that starts with ‘Tow’ and ends in ‘zer’ in the photo, but most likely waiting outside big Jo Munro’s office after he’s finished heeding the baw with Mackay or getting extra French ‘oral’ lessons from Miss Doyle😜……”Bonjour, Bonjour, nous sommes le Gorgie garçons”😂

• 2 weeks later...
Footballfirst

The original Theatre Royal being demolished to make way for the GPO. The photo dates from 1859.

No photo description available.

PaddysBar

Great photo FF. 

somewhere on this thread is a photo of I think the royal mint in the canongate area and I think a reference to hearts on the wall. 

If I ever have a spare day or so I’ll try to find it. 

Footballfirst
8 minutes ago, PaddysBar said:

Great photo FF. 

somewhere on this thread is a photo of I think the royal mint in the canongate area and I think a reference to hearts on the wall. 

If I ever have a spare day or so I’ll try to find it. 

The story of the mint can be found here along with some old photos.

https://threadinburgh.scot/2022/10/31/the-thread-about-the-royal-mint-of-scotland-what-connects-it-to-a-pioneering-school-for-the-citys-poorest-children-and-how-it-has-continued-to-serve-marginalised-people-in-the-city/

Carl Fredrickson
21 hours ago, Footballfirst said:

The original Theatre Royal being demolished to make way for the GPO. The photo dates from 1859.

No photo description available.

Thanks for posting that - I dont think I have seen that image before. 

periodictabledancer
17 minutes ago, Carl Fredrickson said:

Same here.

Footballfirst
31 minutes ago, Carl Fredrickson said:

12 minutes ago, periodictabledancer said:

Same here.

The image was apparently held in Canadian archives according to a Facebook post on Lost Edinburgh.

I checked on the "Susan Pyne" whose name was advertised on the theatre. It seems that she was one of three operatic singing sisters.

https://www.englishromanticopera.org/singers/Pyne_Sisters.htm

Edited by Footballfirst

Byyy The Light
2 hours ago, Daktari said:

image.thumb.png.1b4a89495235e5382b610edb4db06359.png

Tailors Hall, Colgate. 

Always wish I could hit play and listen to them talk when I see pics like this 

periodictabledancer
2 hours ago, Daktari said:

image.png.a95875666f5cfbad7284825a6bcdfae7.png

It took me ages to realise this is Candlemaker Row and not the top of Leith Walk. 

:confused:

30 minutes ago, Byyy The Light said:

Always wish I could hit play and listen to them talk when I see pics like this 

"In 100 years time, there will be random Hearts fans wondering what it is we are saying. If only they knew we were talking about the transfer window...."

36 minutes ago, Byyy The Light said:

Would love a print of that

From 1907 apparently.....

Edited by Daktari

Doctor FinnBarr
3 hours ago, Daktari said:

image.thumb.png.1b4a89495235e5382b610edb4db06359.png

Tailors Hall, Colgate. 

Even in that day and age its disgraceful that children had no shoes to wear. The rich were rich and the poor were poor!

Wonfiveone
10 hours ago, Doctor FinnBarr said:

Even in that day and age its disgraceful that children had no shoes to wear. The rich were rich and the poor were poor!

I agree, only slightly better when I was a bairn, as most of us had either a pair of rubbers or wellies. Changed days. 

42 minutes ago, Wonfiveone said:

I agree, only slightly better when I was a bairn, as most of us had either a pair of rubbers or wellies. Changed days. 

I'm 'only' 59, and I have an old photo of my gran, her cousin and my great grandmother and it looks like that photo. The wee boy has no shoes, and the whole thing looks positively Dickensian, yet in her lifetime, she experienced flying abroad on holiday. Huge societal change in a comparatively short space of time.

Wonfiveone
9 hours ago, Daktari said:

I'm 'only' 59, and I have an old photo of my gran, her cousin and my great grandmother and it looks like that photo. The wee boy has no shoes, and the whole thing looks positively Dickensian, yet in her lifetime, she experienced flying abroad on holiday. Huge societal change in a comparatively short space of time.

And I expect even more enormous changes in the next decades.

PaddysBar
23 hours ago, periodictabledancer said:

It took me ages to realise this is Candlemaker Row and not the top of Leith Walk. 

:confused:

I’ve had a few but I’m struggling to see why you’d think this is the top of leith walk😀

All good though. Shanks staying and looking at cracking old photos of Edinburgh 👍

4 minutes ago, PaddysBar said:

I’ve had a few but I’m struggling to see why you’d think this is the top of leith walk😀

All good though. Shanks staying and looking at cracking old photos of Edinburgh 👍

He means Leith Street with Calton Road going down to the left at the Black Bull. 

periodictabledancer
58 minutes ago, PaddysBar said:

😅

4 hours ago, Footballfirst said:

Get your Edinburgh Rock here.

May be an image of 3 people and street

I like how they feel justified to be advertising the 'safest' sweetmeats..... there's clearly places where the sweet meats are not quite as safe then!

Footballfirst
7 minutes ago, Daktari said:

I like how they feel justified to be advertising the 'safest' sweetmeats..... there's clearly places where the sweet meats are not quite as safe then!

I don't think that every food preparation place would have the highest cleanliness and hygiene standards in those days.

Gundermann

This guy sounded like some character. Willie Ross of the Oxford Bar.

0_imgjfif.jpg

https://www.edinburghlive.co.uk/news/history/feared-edinburgh-landlord-who-banned-26020774

When Willie was in charge of The Oxford back in the late 1900's, the Duke of Atholl visited the bar upon a trip to Edinburgh and asked for a pint of their best bitter. Back then, to ask for such an English pint was frowned upon, and Willie politely told the Duke to “**** off”. When it became clear to Willie that he had told that to a strand of royalty, Willie politely corrected himself and said to the Duke; “oh I am sorry, please **** off my grace!

https://medium.com/writerontherun/retracing-anthony-bourdain-in-scotland-3b9031c978f0

2 hours ago, Gundermann said:

This guy sounded like some character. Willie Ross of the Oxford Bar.

0_imgjfif.jpg

https://www.edinburghlive.co.uk/news/history/feared-edinburgh-landlord-who-banned-26020774

When Willie was in charge of The Oxford back in the late 1900's, the Duke of Atholl visited the bar upon a trip to Edinburgh and asked for a pint of their best bitter. Back then, to ask for such an English pint was frowned upon, and Willie politely told the Duke to “**** off”. When it became clear to Willie that he had told that to a strand of royalty, Willie politely corrected himself and said to the Duke; “oh I am sorry, please **** off my grace!

https://medium.com/writerontherun/retracing-anthony-bourdain-in-scotland-3b9031c978f0

1000015344-colorized.jpg

Heart of Darkness
16 hours ago, Daktari said:

Image 09-02-2024 at 21.09.jpeg

Does anyone know what happened to the old original building on the corner, and when was the new one built?

Ta.

8 hours ago, Heart of Darkness said:

Does anyone know what happened to the old original building on the corner, and when was the new one built?

Ta.

Before the hotel that's there now, it was the Lothian Region HQ, which was built in 1967 as the headquarters for Midlothian Council - 

Work started on the £1 million project in June 1967, with a string of historic buildings swept away, including the upper portion of Victoria Street's original terrace and the Melbourne Place buildings that had once housed Alex Ferguson's confectioners, famous for their iconic Edinburgh rock.

Here's another later view of the same corner. You can still see the 'ghost signs' where Ferguson's was as per the older photo above.

image.thumb.png.c9001fe77b6009034c0f7e3a3814c7ae.png

The same ar*e (Sir Robert Matthew) responsible for this also did the David Hume Tower at the University and BHS on Princes St. 

He was 'renowned for his love of modernism and uncompromising style'. Yes, we noticed that.... He also did the Commonwealth Pool.

What a mess they made of the city in the 1960's. So many lovely buildings lost.

Edited by Daktari

Here's the gap site when the Lothian Region building came down in 2007. Looking from the south.

Image 10-02-2024 at 22.03.jpeg

Edited by Daktari

Heart of Darkness
42 minutes ago, Daktari said:

Before the hotel that's there now, it was the Lothian Region HQ, which was built in 1967 as the headquarters for Midlothian Council - 

Work started on the £1 million project in June 1967, with a string of historic buildings swept away, including the upper portion of Victoria Street's original terrace and the Melbourne Place buildings that had once housed Alex Ferguson's confectioners, famous for their iconic Edinburgh rock.

Here's another later view of the same corner. You can still see the 'ghost signs' where Ferguson's was as per the older photo above.

The same ar*e (Sir Robert Matthew) responsible for this also did the David Hume Tower at the University and BHS on Princes St. 

He was 'renowned for his love of modernism and uncompromising style'. Yes, we noticed that.... He also did the Commonwealth Pool.

Thanks Daktari, I appreciate your reply and pics. 

Heart of Darkness
28 minutes ago, Daktari said:

Here's the gap site when the Lothian Region building came down in 2007. Looking from the south.

Image 10-02-2024 at 22.03.jpeg

That fence is back up as they have been doing work on this corner building for the last couple of years.

il Duce McTarkin
25 minutes ago, Heart of Darkness said:

That fence is back up as they have been doing work on this corner building for the last couple of years.

Aye, they've had a load of the cladding off the hotel. Not sure what the issue with the building has been.

Heart of Darkness
1 minute ago, il Duce McTarkin said:

Aye, they've had a load of the cladding off the hotel. Not sure what the issue with the building has been.

Thank the lord the Festival and xmas is over, the tight squeeze for buses at the lights caused massive traffic jams when busy!!

1 hour ago, Heart of Darkness said:

Thanks Daktari, I appreciate your reply and pics. 

No bother. I enjoy it!

Footballfirst
On 10/02/2024 at 21:49, Daktari said:

A couple of later developments on the site.

May be an image of 9 people and skyscraper

May be an image of 11 people