Edinburgh History

Maroon Sailor

indianajones
1 hour ago, The Frenchman Returns said:

Beautiful Edinburgh on Instagram: “Royal Mile from Camera Obscura & World  of Illusions! Photo by @snapsbyshirin see for more p… | Visit scotland,  Edinburgh, Travel

I can smell this picture if you know what I mean.

What a magical City. 

• Replies 19k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Maroon Sailor

• Radio Ga Ga

• luckyBatistuta

• ¼½¾

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

been here before
2 hours ago, argyjambo said:

Rossie place looking towards Easter Road, I'd guess late 19th/ early 20th century. I grew up in Maryfield in the Abbeyhill colonies, shown on the left.

Aye? My mums family lived and grew up just along from there at Pitlochry Place in the 50s/60s.

NANOJAMBO
On 06/05/2021 at 09:41, Mars plastic said:

Where are you lot getting these pics from???

I see a lot of these pics on Pinterest. 

Mars plastic
15 minutes ago, Janbo1874 said:

20210508_205701.jpg

Not a tartan tat shop or shit architecture in sight. 

Doctor FinnBarr
19 minutes ago, Janbo1874 said:

20210508_205701.jpg

Oh look, a man carrying a suitcase. Where's the wheels?

kawasakijambo
19 minutes ago, FinnBarr Saunders said:

Oh look, a man carrying a suitcase. Where's the wheels?

Engine drivers in the foreground, Sharpie off to the left.

7 minutes ago, The Frenchman Returns said:

Chinese Restaurant Lothian Road (1970s-80s ?) - The Shed - Jambos Kickback

Chinese Restaurant Lothian Road (1970s-80s ?) - The Shed - Jambos Kickback

Odd that you look left and little has changed, you look right and everything has changed. 

Doctor FinnBarr
14 minutes ago, Tazio said:

Odd that you look left and little has changed, you look right and everything has changed. 

Is that Leith Walk where the Pilrig garage is/was? Not been down Apache country for a bit.

Shanks said no
1 minute ago, FinnBarr Saunders said:

Is that Leith Walk where the Pilrig garage is/was? Not been down Apache country for a bit.

Lothian Road

A Home from Home: Filmhouse at 40 - The Skinny

Edited by The Frenchman Returns

Doctor FinnBarr
7 minutes ago, The Frenchman Returns said:

Lothian Road

No be the first time I've been wrong, please bear in mind I'm a WL bumpkin though.

28 minutes ago, The Frenchman Returns said:

and the police station

0_mgcj2xih3xdz.jpg

With her Maj thrown in for good measure

And the most mental restaurant in the world. 

Shanks said no
2 minutes ago, Tazio said:

Is that the Armenian restaurant guys place on Dundas Street? 

Yes, Peter the Armenian

1 minute ago, The Frenchman Returns said:

Yes, Peter the Armenian

I ate at his restaurant twice with very different experiences. Once with an Armenian friend who was up from London and it was a great night, even more when he discovered one of our company, a very attractive half Indian girl, was a professional violinist and had her violin with her and we were treated to him playing Armenian music so she could learn it. Then I went with other people and he took a dislike to a couple of people and the night ended early as he “asked” us to leave as soon as the food was finished. Interesting both times though. 

2 hours ago, Mars plastic said:

Not a tartan tat shop or shit architecture in sight. 

There may not be one in sight but that was the year I met my wife and one Sunday we walked in Princes Street and there was a Tartan Shop down some stairs with a railing actually on the Princes Street sidewalk. My later to be wife leaned on the top rail and slipped her leg between two rails to look down at the shop window, when I went to walk away her leg was stuck between the rails.  It took some time to realise she just had to slide her leg down to a wider part of the rails and she was free, and we left amidst a chorus of laughter.

2 hours ago, The Frenchman Returns said:

16 long lost Edinburgh restaurants that are gone but not forgotten |  Edinburgh News

Overpriced and style over substance if I remember correctly. The 80s frankie and bennies. 

Lothian Road

Cowan Tailoring behind the minibus. I used to frequent their branch on the bridges: burgundy sta press, lonsdale t shirts, Fred Perry, and I still have the levi 501 jacket. Still fits. If I breath in 😂

Shanks said no
45 minutes ago, Sharpie said:

There may not be one in sight but that was the year I met my wife and one Sunday we walked in Princes Street and there was a Tartan Shop down some stairs with a railing actually on the Princes Street sidewalk. My later to be wife leaned on the top rail and slipped her leg between two rails to look down at the shop window, when I went to walk away her leg was stuck between the rails.  It took some time to realise she just had to slide her leg down to a wider part of the rails and she was free, and we left amidst a chorus of laughter.

Maybe Hector Russell? Frontage has changed a little but one of the few shops on Princes Street with steps down (maybe the only one)

25881355715_9cf344843d_b.jpg

Maybe Hector Russell? Frontage has changed a little but one of the few shops on Princes Street with steps down (maybe the only one)

25881355715_9cf344843d_b.jpg

That looks exactly like the shop except the railings like that centre set were right across the front and access was down the stairs on the right, but close enough to just about cause a wee tear. We often sat and talked with a wee glass of something in our hand and talked about our Edinburgh days and that day was often the cause of a giggle. My wife loved Edinburgh, but we both did feel there were possibly more opportunities at the time in Canada. I am not sure I would have retired a Chief Superintendent as I did here if I had stayed  in Edinburgh Police. Who knows.

9 hours ago, Sharpie said:

I first came to Edinburgh in 1981, and I have a picture in my head of there being some sort of fence there. Here's a photo from 1961. What's there doesn't look like the railings you've described, but with so much changing, who's to say the one's here didn't replace earlier ones?

Edinburgh-Scotland-From-the-1960s-16.jpg

PS: I hope the future Mrs Sharpie wasn't too disappointed that you took her in there, and not for a fur coat next door. :)  

Edited by Lemongrab