Edinburgh History

Maroon Sailor

29 minutes ago, Maroon Sailor said:

Buttercup Poultry Farm

20210510_092731.jpg.3bd73fb322ea826be9b709395f033588.jpg

Apparently these buildings still exist somewhere between Fox Covert and Rannoch Road

Down Oak Lane, off Fox Covert Grove, apparently.

• Replies 19k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Maroon Sailor

• Radio Ga Ga

• luckyBatistuta

• ¼½¾

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

2 hours ago, Maroon Sailor said:

Dumbiedykes

1ccbc92fc47da9a01319ac7d4556747b.jpg.efd89a249eda6dac0b64a6c16e4e7830.jpg

Not sure of the significance of this photo but the guy to the right of the picture looks like the old boss of LRT unfortunately can't remember his name but perhaps some old LRT employees might remember him?

Edit .... Peter Burt possibly?

Maroon Sailor
20 minutes ago, Jambo314 said:

Not sure of the significance of this photo but the guy to the right of the picture looks like the old boss of LRT unfortunately can't remember his name but perhaps some old LRT employees might remember him?

Edit .... Peter Burt possibly?

I would like to know what this was all about - maybe the 45 was new going through Dumbiedykes

Maroon Sailor

The picture definitely has the hallmark of a new service for Dumbiedykes following a campaign from residents

Maroon Sailor

20210510_122517.jpg.7eb6c5943a5055a40b64cb6c43bfa33b.jpg

The linking of the Edinburgh and Leith tramway at Pilrig to allow through journeys between Edinburgh and Leith 

Jambo-Jimbo
17 hours ago, Maroon Sailor said:

20210509_202342.jpg

Light coloured building in the distance is Dunbar's Close, of course that's the new building, I think the old one, the block which my Grandmother's family lived in was knocked down in the 1930's.

Paddy Crossan
On 09/05/2021 at 09:40, Maroon Sailor said:

Miss World 1977 - Abercorn Inn

20210509_093813.jpg.faf109c3d0d7f41cb8c3df7db4b9eced.jpg

Miss World? I find that hard to believe, not disbelieving you of course.

Maroon Sailor
22 minutes ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

Potterrow?

Not sure - hoping someone knew 🤣

Maroon Sailor
17 minutes ago, Paddy Crossan said:

Miss World? I find that hard to believe, not disbelieving you of course.

cindy+break.jpg

Stuart Lyon
51 minutes ago, Maroon Sailor said:

Not sure - hoping someone knew 🤣

The Corner Bar 2-4 Lothian Street and 3-5-7 Potterow  from NLS  1929 Southside collection

Photograph of a three storey building looking from the street corner. In the centre of the picture on the ground floor is a pub called The Corner Bar. To the left side is a grocer and confectioner' s and a newsagent. To the right a streetlamp is visible further along the road. Outside the pub a group of two men and five boys face the camera. Outside the newsagent a woman stands. Photo No 15 NLS Digital Library

3 hours ago, Jambo314 said:

Edit .... Peter Burt possibly? Not Peter Burt, I'm obviously getting mixed up with my old BOS working days🙈 Ex Chief Executive Charlie Evans is who I meant, old age is definitely catching up with me these days😄

Mars plastic
18 hours ago, Maroon Sailor said:

The Old Cow 1984

20210509_204038.jpg.492cda087512bb03bda950b8e915dcb5.jpg

Then became The Green Tree at some point after that. Used to love that Rover SD1 when I was a bairn.

Stuart Lyon
7 minutes ago, Mars plastic said:

Then became The Green Tree at some point after that. Used to love that Rover SD1 when I was a bairn.

I think it was the Green Tree then the Old Cow and at some point the Spotted Cow

Jambo-Jimbo
21 minutes ago, Stuart Lyon said:

The Corner Bar 2-4 Lothian Street and 3-5-7 Potterow  from NLS  1929 Southside collection

Photograph of a three storey building looking from the street corner. In the centre of the picture on the ground floor is a pub called The Corner Bar. To the left side is a grocer and confectioner' s and a newsagent. To the right a streetlamp is visible further along the road. Outside the pub a group of two men and five boys face the camera. Outside the newsagent a woman stands. Photo No 15 NLS Digital Library

Did think it was Potterrow, sure this photo but a larger version was posted several weeks ago.

My paternal Grandfather was born at 3 Potterrow in 1903.

4 hours ago, Jambo314 said:

Edit .... Peter Burt possibly? Not Peter Burt, I'm obviously getting mixed up with my old BOS working days🙈 Ex Chief Executive Charlie Evans is who I meant, old age is definitely catching up with me these days😄

4 hours ago, Maroon Sailor said:

I would like to know what this was all about - maybe the 45 was new going through Dumbiedykes

A comment on LBs facebook page, when the photo was posted a couple of years ago.

This photo was taken ahead of the 45 being diverted in June 1980 to serve the Dumbiedykes housing scheme. It's a posed shot, as the bus is empty and the passengers waiting at the stop are actually the councillors who had lobbied LRT to provide a better service to the Dumbiedykes. The 45 served there from 30th June 1980 until 25th October 1986.
On the right of the photo is the late Charles Evans, who at that time was the head of Lothian Region's Department of Public Transport. In 1986 he became MD and Chief Executive of Lothian Region Transport plc, the company formed to take over Lothian Region's bus operations as required by the Transport Act 1985. He steered the company through the 12 years following deregulation before retiring in 1998. LRT plc was and is the immediate predecessor of today's Lothian Buses.

3 hours ago, Maroon Sailor said:

20210510_123724.jpg

Dumbiedykes again Cowans Yard at bottom of Arthur Street in the background. No idea what causd the damage, too far along or the coal lorry incident.

1 hour ago, Stuart Lyon said:

I couldn't quite get it but you have given me the necessary clues thank you.

11 minutes ago, Lemongrab said:

A comment on LBs facebook page, when the photo was posted a couple of years ago.

This photo was taken ahead of the 45 being diverted in June 1980 to serve the Dumbiedykes housing scheme. It's a posed shot, as the bus is empty and the passengers waiting at the stop are actually the councillors who had lobbied LRT to provide a better service to the Dumbiedykes. The 45 served there from 30th June 1980 until 25th October 1986.
On the right of the photo is the late Charles Evans, who at that time was the head of Lothian Region's Department of Public Transport. In 1986 he became MD and Chief Executive of Lothian Region Transport plc, the company formed to take over Lothian Region's bus operations as required by the Transport Act 1985. He steered the company through the 12 years following deregulation before retiring in 1998. LRT plc was and is the immediate predecessor of today's Lothian Buses.

Thanks for the info Lemongrab👍

20 hours ago, Maroon Sailor said:

20210509_195335.jpg.05e0ed2a5dae7e92c0ad0be2c6d71b8c.jpg

Canongate taken from just outside the kirk? The far left has a column, since demolished but the base is still there.

Maroon Sailor
12 minutes ago, Sharpie said:

Dumbiedykes again Cowans Yard at bottom of Arthur Street in the background. No idea what causd the damage, too far along or the coal lorry incident.

Do you remember what bar that was ? - can't quite make it out 

Stuart Lyon
14 minutes ago, Maroon Sailor said:

Only bars I can find in Arthur St are  the Crags Bar and Hare's Bar

Hares Bar Arthur St.png

Edited by Stuart Lyon

1 hour ago, Stuart Lyon said:

Only bars I can find in Arthur St are  the Crags Bar and Hare's Bar

Hares Bar Arthur St.png

Stuart, it's not on Arthur Street, it's on Dumbiedykes Road between it's junctions with Prospect Place and Arthur Street.

On 08/05/2021 at 22:18, The Frenchman Returns said:

Chinese Restaurant Lothian Road (1970s-80s ?) - The Shed - Jambos Kickback

Chinese Restaurant Lothian Road (1970s-80s ?) - The Shed - Jambos Kickback

Had my first ever curry in Babar's probably about 1981. Lost count of the number I've had since.

Stuart Lyon
2 hours ago, Lemongrab said:

Stuart, it's not on Arthur Street, it's on Dumbiedykes Road between it's junctions with Prospect Place and Arthur Street.

Then it either the Mechanics Arms at 143 Dumbiedykes Road or the Bowlers Rest at No 80! I think it is the latter because the number on the property next door looks to be 70 something.

Edited by Stuart Lyon

4 hours ago, Maroon Sailor said:

No all I can remember is calling in a licence number of a car that I thought was being driven by an impaired driver. The car arrived at my box, and I was instructed by the Inspector and the sergeant who was driving to accompany them to that pub, ordered to drink a nip of whiskey and told quite strongly to remember they knew I had taken a drink on duty. They the got in the car I reported

being driven by a drunk driver and were gone.

1 minute ago, Stuart Lyon said:

Then it either the Mechanics Arms at 143 Dumbiedykes Road or the Bowlers Rest at No 80! I think it is the latter because the number on the property next door looks to be 70 something.

The Bowlers Rest I just needed a hint.

joondalupjambo
11 hours ago, Maroon Sailor said:

20210510_193033.thumb.jpg.320cd096dd13182a9e2844d5c9e4e156.jpg

Forgot that there was a bridge there, Pilrig Street at Newhaven Road and Broughton Road I think.

Edited by joondalupjambo

image.png.c8f38e66c5a4cd91444c7613c233d5bf.png

Babars was always the late night destination of choice after the pub.

We loved that place.

But I vaguely remember that when getting the overnight bus to London in the early 80’s, it departed from what was basically wasteland behind the restaurant. Can anyone confirm this, as I can’t remember why it wouldn't depart from the bus station at the other end of town?