• luckyBatistuta

• ¼½¾

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

argyjambo
17 hours ago, Radio Ga Ga said:

Portobello 

B090E6E5-CEAC-47B7-83E1-E33A81551C23.jpeg

Looks more like dalry Road, you can see the dormer windows of the Dalry Colonies above the shops.

18 minutes ago, argyjambo said:

Looks more like dalry Road, you can see the dormer windows of the Dalry Colonies above the shops.

It does look like that, with the tenement above the first tram being the one on the corner of Richmond Terrace.  Another thing, you can see the roofs of buildings are stepped like they'd be if going up a hill; I thought Porty was pretty flat. Maybe they forgot to change the sign on the tram?

3fingersreid
12 hours ago, The Frenchman Returns said:

Heart of Midlothian Lodge  832

No longer there , probably end up as student flats 

Byyy The Light
3 hours ago, argyjambo said:

Definitely agree.

been here before
21 hours ago, Radio Ga Ga said:

Portobello 

B090E6E5-CEAC-47B7-83E1-E33A81551C23.jpeg

3 hours ago, argyjambo said:

33 minutes ago, Byyy The Light said:

Definitely agree.

It is Dalry Road. I posted this ages ago about it...

On 18/07/2018 at 14:48, been here before said:

Ah now I posted that picture earlier in the thread. Those trams c1920 are opposite Haymarket heading up Dalry Road. It's in a book I have of old pictures of Old Dalry by local historian Malcolm Cant. The accompanying caption states 'This line of open cable cars, apparently crammed with male passengers only, was photographed on Dalry Road c1920, a few hundred yards west of Haymarket road junction. The first car has a destination board 'Portobello for Joppa' and an advertisement for Nubolic Soap; the second car is bound for Pilrig and advertises Zebra polish. The picture was probably taken on a Saturday afternoon when Hearts were playing at home at Tynecastle. Cable cars were first introduced to Edinburgh in 1893 when Edinburgh Corporation secured powers to convert the existing horse tramways to mechanised operation. The cars were hauled along the road by a moving cable, running in a slot below the level of the road surface between the rails. It was a cumbersome system which was prone to frequent breakdown'.

As an aside if you're ever down at the brilliant Beamish Museum you can get a ride on one of those trams. Great fun as a novelty but would be brutal if that was your only option to get around- especially on wet or cold days

Shanks said no

The entrance to the Port Hopetoun basin on the corner of Lothian Road and Morrison Street. Picture: JPIMedia

The corner of Lothian road and Morison St.

Port Hopetoun, where you could get a boat all the way to Glasgow for 33p in new pence.

Byyy The Light
22 minutes ago, been here before said:

It is Dalry Road. I posted this ages ago about it...

👍🏼 My mum and dad both Dalry natives so it’s very familiar 

11 minutes ago, Radio Ga Ga said:

A707B2B2-01B6-4478-9D79-DA728799DF8B.jpeg

That one took me a while to get my head round when I saw it elsewhere even though they said where it was. 

argyjambo
21 hours ago, been here before said:

Aye? My mums family lived and grew up just along from there at Pitlochry Place in the 50s/60s.

What was your mum''s family name? Chances are I'll recognise it, as that ties in with the time frame when I was growing up in Abbeyhill.

Maroon Sailor
2 hours ago, Tazio said:

That one took me a while to get my head round when I saw it elsewhere even though they said where it was. 

Where is it ? 

Initially I thought it was by Greyfriars Bobby

25 minutes ago, Maroon Sailor said:

Where is it ? 

Initially I thought it was by Greyfriars Bobby

Bottom of the High Street if you were standing with your back to the parliament building. So the roundabout at the bottom of Abbeyhill and the palace to your right. 

Maroon Sailor
10 minutes ago, Tazio said:

Bottom of the High Street if you were standing with your back to the parliament building. So the roundabout at the bottom of Abbeyhill and the palace to your right. 

Would never have worked that out !

1 hour ago, Maroon Sailor said:

Would never have worked that out !

Funny how things change, you don't recognise it, and its the only way I ever knew it. Always felt weird in that old police box always felt I was in a sitting target for a car going astray coming down the hill.

Captain Slog

I didn't want to start a fresh thread for one little query.  But can anyone inform us the name of the burger restaurant near woolies on the east end of Princes street during the seventies, where all the freebies for kids were beefeater themed?

Just now, Captain Slog said:

I didn't want to start a fresh thread for one little query.  But can anyone inform us the name of the burger restaurant near woolies on the east end of Princes street during the seventies, where all the freebies for kids were beefeater themed?

Wimpy. 

1 hour ago, Maroon Sailor said:

Merchiston Mews

20210509_203227.jpg.0ca0c9c17202b8ddaf6a7e09aecd510b.jpg

I remember working a night shift and a car came high speed along Melvile Drive, it was apparently I found later Jim Clark.

stuart500
On 05/05/2021 at 08:43, Jambo314 said:

Ritz .... my Saturday morning entertainment in the 60's😊

Mine too.

Seem to remember we all sang a song about being the "minors of the ABC...". Words up on the screen and follow the bouncing ball.

There were always 3 empty rows in the stalls immediately below the edge of the balcony. This was because anyone sitting there was likely to end up with kiora juice or a zoom ice lolly landing on their head. 

Maroon Sailor

Station announcers box at Waverley

20210510_083316.jpg.8d3d3d33b01dbc469286156f49be0223.jpg

Can hear it now

Platform 19 for the 12:55 to London King's Cross - calling at Berwick Upon Tweed, Newcastle Upon Tyne, Durham, Darlington, York, Peterborough, Stevenage and London King's Cross

Maroon Sailor

Buttercup Poultry Farm

20210510_092731.jpg.3bd73fb322ea826be9b709395f033588.jpg

Apparently these buildings still exist somewhere between Fox Covert and Rannoch Road