• Radio Ga Ga

• luckyBatistuta

• ¼½¾

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

52 minutes ago, Maroon Sailor said:

That clock seemed to get moved around a bit

IMG_3940.JPG

That conversation has been had on this thread, from memory there are 4 of them. Not all are still in public places.

Edit: There are 6, that one in the picture is in storage in Penicuik just now - here's a wee story behind it.

https://www.scotsman.com/lifestyle-2-15039/time-is-of-the-essence-for-dedicated-clockmen-1-1252476

https://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/retro/lost-edinburgh-the-london-road-clock-1-4069537

Edited by graygo

Maroon Sailor
6 hours ago, graygo said:

That conversation has been had on this thread, from memory there are 4 of them. Not all are still in public places.

Edit: There are 6, that one in the picture is in storage in Penicuik just now - here's a wee story behind it.

https://www.scotsman.com/lifestyle-2-15039/time-is-of-the-essence-for-dedicated-clockmen-1-1252476

https://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/retro/lost-edinburgh-the-london-road-clock-1-4069537

I was in on that conversation but I was referring to this clock in particular here. This one at the West End seemed to move only a few yards around the area and I think even ended up at the top of Leith Walk. The other ones seemed to stay in the one place.

1 hour ago, Maroon Sailor said:

I was in on that conversation but I was referring to this clock in particular here. This one at the West End seemed to move only a few yards around the area and I think even ended up at the top of Leith Walk. The other ones seemed to stay in the one place.

That's pretty much what the articles I linked to said. :unsure:

Maroon Sailor
2 hours ago, graygo said:

That's pretty much what the articles I linked to said. :unsure:

I didn't realise / pay much attention to it having been moved around that area of the West End so often until I posted those 2 pics above. I know it ended up at the top of Leith Walk and now in Penicuik.

They should stick it back in the West End again in a spot where it's unlikely to be moved again !

Maroon Sailor
11 hours ago, Maroon Sailor said:

That clock seemed to get moved around a bit

IMG_3940.JPG

Everybody wearing a hat in that photo. Reminds me of my Grandad who passed away in 1997 aged 93. He never left the house without his hat / flat cap. Well he did forget it once and said he felt naked !

42 minutes ago, Maroon Sailor said:

Hillhouse Road

IMG_3111.JPG

That was the locale of my first job ever, petrol boy. It was family owned, and they aslo had a coal delivery busioness, for the life of me I cannot remember their name. that was the commencement of my working life, and my father when he retired got a job there doing the same as I but it was now owned by Tommy Farmer,  and the old man finished his work life there.

52 minutes ago, Maroon Sailor said:

Gorgie East

IMG_3112.JPG

Where about in gorgie was this located?

49 minutes ago, superjack said:

Where about in gorgie was this located?

About 100 yards to the south of Jessie Mays pub, previously known as Station Tavern.

2 hours ago, bobsharp said:

That was the locale of my first job ever, petrol boy. It was family owned, and they aslo had a coal delivery busioness, for the life of me I cannot remember their name. that was the commencement of my working life, and my father when he retired got a job there doing the same as I but it was now owned by Tommy Farmer,  and the old man finished his work life there.

There was a coal merchants called Robert Ritchie at Davidson's Mains.

6 minutes ago, Lemongrab said:

There was a coal merchants called Robert Ritchie at Davidson's Mains.

That doesn't ring a bell, it will come back, nowadays my cranial data program takes a bit to download. The family actually lived in the house above the front entrance. I worked there circa 1949.

2 hours ago, Ally Bee said:

About 100 yards to the south of Jessie Mays pub, previously known as Station Tavern.

I thought that would be gorgie west, if it existed.

2 hours ago, bobsharp said:

That doesn't ring a bell, it will come back, nowadays my cranial data program takes a bit to download. The family actually lived in the house above the front entrance. I worked there circa 1949.

Its clicked, the family was Paterson.

Maroon Sailor

I like seeing the simplicity of driving around the city Centre in some of these old phots. Left and right turn at the bottom of The Mound on to and from Princes Street. Straight over from Lothian Road past Mathers. Two way traffic on Morrison Street etc ...

9 hours ago, Maroon Sailor said:

You can zoom in on the map to find the exact location of Gorgie East

https://latitude.to/articles-by-country/gb/united-kingdom/176888/gorgie-east-railway-station

Cheers for that. I wrongly assumed that with the name gorgie east, the east was to differentiate between a station at the west. I somehow thought it would have been along where the gorgie farm.

Stuart Lyon
9 hours ago, Maroon Sailor said:

IMG_3952.JPG

Ah the old Tudor in St Bernard's Row - opposite what is now the Stockbridge Tap

Maroon Sailor

Used to get The Pink in Finnie's after getting dropped off the supporters bus at Haymarket from an away match, then next door to Bratisanni's

IMG_3120.thumb.JPG.954748d6ccb5ae74f24a67111deec428.JPG