Edinburgh History

Maroon Sailor

Footballfirst

Bedford Street Stockbridge 1964. Photograph by Robert Blomfield.

b527af3523b098064aaa4bed6ab3ca71.jpg

Not sure where this one is. Nice lighting though.

31b67fcbe17011f7a1d6e4c82ea28e4c.jpg

West Nicholson Street 1963

292dc799528ef6ce28cf7946260bfc95.jpg

As it says on the tin.

image.thumb.png.7bb7860c5284d890688767f5693427bb.png

Edited by Footballfirst

• Replies 19k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Maroon Sailor

• Radio Ga Ga

• luckyBatistuta

• ¼½¾

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

John Findlay
On 03/04/2024 at 13:16, Radio Ga Ga said:

Started my school days there in 1968, grey shorts, white shirt with a red and white striped tie, black blazer and a black cap. I'm getting old 😞 

Same year(April), I started at Royston Primary, the total opposite side of the city.

Mister T
7 hours ago, Australis said:

Think one of the roads is now what we call double hedges road.

From the Gilmerton Road to the Kirk brae?

Liberton rugby club now at the top right?

Yeah thought that too. You can see the liberton tower house on the horizon

Radio Ga Ga
1 hour ago, John Findlay said:

Same year(April), I started at Royston Primary, the total opposite side of the city.

Started in the April too, there were two intakes a year in those days (born January 63) 

Was only there for three years then moved to Sighthill PS 

John Findlay
Just now, Radio Ga Ga said:

Started in the April too, there were two intakes a year in those days (born January 63) 

Was only there for three years then moved to Sighthill PS 

I actually started school 2 days before my fifth birthday.

ArcticJambo
4 hours ago, Footballfirst said:

Not sure where this one is. Nice lighting though.

31b67fcbe17011f7a1d6e4c82ea28e4c.jpg

I have this as the Kirkgate, towards the north end, looking south.

1 hour ago, ArcticJambo said:

I have this as the Kirkgate, towards the north end, looking south.

I agree it’s the Kirkgate but it runs West-East in my opinion so I’d say this was looking from Junction Street so from the west I’d say. 

Footballfirst
12 minutes ago, Tazio said:

I agree it’s the Kirkgate but it runs West-East in my opinion so I’d say this was looking from Junction Street so from the west I’d say. 

The Kirkgate ran roughly NNE to SSW.

Kirkgate.thumb.jpg.4225cf745c19f2dbc20f89852f58605e.jpg

13 minutes ago, Footballfirst said:

The Kirkgate ran roughly NNE to SSW.

Kirkgate.thumb.jpg.4225cf745c19f2dbc20f89852f58605e.jpg

In my head Junction Street runs straight north as it heads to the water. Obviously my head doesn’t consider things like bends in roads 🤣

Stuart Lyon
13 hours ago, Daktari said:

image.thumb.png.b4a25fdf27341e7f2aaccbdfcb117666.png

Canongate - the pub is the original Blue Blanket.

14 hours ago, Footballfirst said:

A single deck No 1 bus is before my time in Edinburgh

f918b5ca313c73b0c744fc677c53d3f3.jpg

What was the LRT single decker that used to go along Lasswade Road? Maybe about 20 years ago. Was it an 80? Maybe to Bonnyrigg.

Actually, i remember the 20. It went up Liberton Brae and turned left at the street with the church onto Lasswade Road.

Daktari
1 hour ago, Stuart Lyon said:

Canongate - the pub is the original Blue Blanket.

Yes, the buildings behind the parked vehicles up to and including the newsagent shop are still there. From the pub upwards, the buildings have been renewed.

Jambo314
1 hour ago, Pap said:

What was the LRT single decker that used to go along Lasswade Road? Maybe about 20 years ago. Was it an 80? Maybe to Bonnyrigg.

Actually, i remember the 20. It went up Liberton Brae and turned left at the street with the church onto Lasswade Road.

Yes, the 80 terminated at Poltonhall and the 82 carried further on to Rosewell.

Dawnrazor
1 minute ago, Jambo314 said:

Yes, the 80 terminated at Poltonhall and the 82 carried further on to Rosewell.

It used to be the 74 and 72 back in my day.

Jambo314
1 minute ago, Dawnrazor said:

It used to be the 74 and 72 back in my day.

Was that mibby SMT bus service?

Dawnrazor
2 minutes ago, Jambo314 said:

Was that mibby SMT bus service?

The green and white buses, I can't remember when they were.

The 72 left Edinburgh about 15 minutes after the 74, the 72 turned at Cameron Crescent and I had to walk up the back road, past the cemetery, through the wee park to get home, the 74 went all the way to Rosewell.

JDK2020
2 hours ago, Dawnrazor said:

The 72 left Edinburgh about 15 minutes after the 74, the 72 turned at Cameron Crescent and I had to walk up the back road, past the cemetery, through the wee park to get home, the 74 went all the way to Rosewell.

Eastern Scottish, HQ based in New Street

Dawnrazor
3 hours ago, JDK2020 said:

Eastern Scottish, HQ based in New Street

I'm going back to the 80's, I'm not sure where they were/are based.

JDK2020
5 hours ago, Dawnrazor said:

I'm going back to the 80's, I'm not sure where they were/are based.

Eastern Scottish HQ was in New Street right up to the 80s and probably into the 90s I believe.

Doctor FinnBarr
1 hour ago, JDK2020 said:

Eastern Scottish HQ was in New Street right up to the 80s and probably into the 90s I believe.

Not sure of dates but late 80s they were bought over by Grampian Regional Transport who changed the white livery to cream. West Lothian transport started turning shit after they sold out to First.

Footballfirst

Eastern Scottish was originally the regional name for buses operated by the Scottish Bus Group since the early 1960s.  Prior to that the services were run by SMT (Scottish Motor Traction Company Ltd)   Following deregulation in 1986 the Scottish Bus Group split into a number of different companies, but the Eastern Scottish brand was retained by the company operating services in the Lothians.

GRT (First Bus) bought them over in 1994.

There is a fuller explanation given in this Wiki article.  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eastern_Scottish

Edited by Footballfirst

ehcaley
8 hours ago, Footballfirst said:

Eastern Scottish was originally the regional name for buses operated by the Scottish Bus Group since the early 1960s.  Prior to that the services were run by SMT (Scottish Motor Traction Company Ltd)   Following deregulation in 1986 the Scottish Bus Group split into a number of different companies, but the Eastern Scottish brand was retained by the company operating services in the Lothians.

GRT (First Bus) bought them over in 1994.

There is a fuller explanation given in this Wiki article.  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eastern_Scottish

SOL(Scottish Omnibuses Ltd.) when I was there for a short period after leaving school in 1977.

I think it was actually another number 80 bus that used to go up Gilmerton Road right to the Dalkeith Nature Trail/Park. Was an Eastern Scottish bus as well.

One thing i always remember about them (ES buses) was that they used to bomb it up and down Gilmerton Road. Really fast.

Suspect Device
On 18/07/2022 at 22:02, Tazio said:

BF6AF378-B84F-460D-BC7A-89DA9BDB659D.jpeg

Haha..  still call it that 😂

Jambo dans les Pyrenees
On 05/04/2024 at 12:10, Dawnrazor said:

Legend has it that only around 80% of number 74 buses ever made the return trip from Roswell.

Dawnrazor
34 minutes ago, Jambo dans les Pyrenees said:

Legend has it that only around 80% of number 74 buses ever made the return trip from Roswell.

🤣🤣 Could actually be right that!

Mister T
8 hours ago, Jambo dans les Pyrenees said:

It is a bit Wicker Man out there right enough 😂

Dawnrazor
1 minute ago, Mister T said:

It is a bit Wicker Man out there right enough 😂

It's a bit upmarket now, not something I'd thought I'd ever say! It was different when I grew up there 😆😆

Footballfirst
1 hour ago, periodictabledancer said:

a78e8893bef8ef7db044d5984eb765ec.jpg

I wonder if that is the same Cormack Brothers who had a shop in Bridge Road Colinton during the first half of the 20th century.  The photo below is not the best.

20170117_001117.thumb.jpg.7eaf6424a15bcf77aca575af0bc43482.jpg

periodictabledancer
15 minutes ago, Footballfirst said:

I wonder if that is the same Cormack Brothers who had a shop in Bridge Road Colinton during the first half of the 20th century.  The photo below is not the best.

Bloody hell, there's some knowledge on here. 

Footballfirst
6 minutes ago, periodictabledancer said:

Bloody hell, there's some knowledge on here. 

I stay in Colinton, so have taken an interest in its history. Add in school projects for my kids about the village plus publication by local organisations, so there is a wealth of information to be had.

Lone Striker
3 hours ago, Footballfirst said:

https://maps.app.goo.gl/LxcyHJq1vQ4Mh25G8

Lone Striker

The link above is the Google streetview  still showing the building with the 2 chimneys 

Footballfirst
46 minutes ago, Lone Striker said:

The link above is the Google streetview  still showing the building with the 2 chimneys 

Yes. That's the Colinton Inn which has been there since approximately 1900.

There is now a separate entrance to the flat above the pub, but that would have been the accommodation for the "Inn" in is early years.

Here's an image from 1905 with the same row of shops on the left and the pub in the middle (only one chimney stack can bee seen though). 

Janefield-BridgeRd1905small.thumb.jpg.070c376105d01383294b1d479ead6ffe.jpg

Here is a copy of the PO directory for Bridge Road, Colinton in 1925.

image.jpeg.a267f4452aa0a1deccfa799f9b196c77.jpeg

Rangecroft was the proprietor of the Colinton Inn at the time. The Cormack Brothers in the photo a couple of posts up are listed for the grocers shop. John Pickin ran a shoe shop for which the original shop sign was only recently revealed when the shop was being refurbished.  

PickensBridgeRoad.jpg.e9b47a8d2d5b8df46fa9db4f13d93539.jpg

The Downes family ran a fruit shop in the village for over 100 years until a year or so ago, when Patsy Downes who ran it for as long as I've stayed in Colinton (42 years) sadly passed away. Her brother is still alive, but didn't want to keep the shop going.  

The Waddells ran both a petrol station in Bridge Road as well as a garage in nearby Spylaw Street. Waddells is still operating as a business today.

Waddells - Bridge Road

image.thumb.jpeg.9e395ae3f4b6eb753d7a8459c42362ac.jpeg

Waddells - Spylaw Street

image.jpeg.b4a5d80fca240b10cdf79cf389b9c92c.jpeg

The above is an example of the type of information that is available if you have an interest in researching it.

Edited by Footballfirst

stuart500
14 hours ago, periodictabledancer said:

a78e8893bef8ef7db044d5984eb765ec.jpg

That's the corner of East London Street and Broughton Street. 

JudyJudyJudy

I was heading down to Waverley station via Cockburn street . First time I’ve walked down Craig’s close . Must be the most narrow close in Edinburgh ? 

IMG_8040.jpeg

IMG_8039.jpeg

22 minutes ago, JudyJudyJudy said:

I was heading down to Waverley station via Cockburn street . First time I’ve walked down Craig’s close . Must be the most narrow close in Edinburgh ? 

IMG_8040.jpeg

IMG_8039.jpeg

Used to meet a dealer half way down on drunken nights out, many moons ago :laugh:

JudyJudyJudy
1 hour ago, Pap said:

Used to meet a dealer half way down on drunken nights out, many moons ago :laugh:

Wisnae me! I can imagine a few shadey things happening up Craig’s close 😎

Lone Striker
13 hours ago, Footballfirst said:

Yes. That's the Colinton Inn which has been there since approximately 1900.

There is now a separate entrance to the flat above the pub, but that would have been the accommodation for the "Inn" in is early years.

Here's an image from 1905 with the same row of shops on the left and the pub in the middle (only one chimney stack can bee seen though). 

Janefield-BridgeRd1905small.thumb.jpg.070c376105d01383294b1d479ead6ffe.jpg

Here is a copy of the PO directory for Bridge Road, Colinton in 1925.

image.jpeg.a267f4452aa0a1deccfa799f9b196c77.jpeg

Rangecroft was the proprietor of the Colinton Inn at the time. The Cormack Brothers in the photo a couple of posts up are listed for the grocers shop. John Pickin ran a shoe shop for which the original shop sign was only recently revealed when the shop was being refurbished.  

PickensBridgeRoad.jpg.e9b47a8d2d5b8df46fa9db4f13d93539.jpg

The Downes family ran a fruit shop in the village for over 100 years until a year or so ago, when Patsy Downes who ran it for as long as I've stayed in Colinton (42 years) sadly passed away. Her brother is still alive, but didn't want to keep the shop going.  

The Waddells ran both a petrol station in Bridge Road as well as a garage in nearby Spylaw Street. Waddells is still operating as a business today.

Waddells - Bridge Road

image.thumb.jpeg.9e395ae3f4b6eb753d7a8459c42362ac.jpeg

Waddells - Spylaw Street

image.jpeg.b4a5d80fca240b10cdf79cf389b9c92c.jpeg

The above is an example of the type of information that is available if you have an interest in researching it.

Great old photos, FF.  👍   I used to live at Baberton Mains back in the 80s, and was registered with the GP practice at one of the roads off Woodhall Road - can't remember which one, since its long gone.   More recently, I have fond memories of  going in to the Spylaw Tavern for a meal occasionally and then taking our dog for a walk in Spylaw Park.

I love seeing all these old photos, and then trying to locate the place  on Streetview to see which (if any) of the buildings still remain..   

periodictabledancer
5 hours ago, stuart500 said:

That's the corner of East London Street and Broughton Street. 

It is.