***Summer 2018 Transfer Window Thread***

tartofmidlothian

Tommy Brown
22 minutes ago, WoodenHertz said:

In Spain, well certainly in the La Liga, it's mandatory that all players have a buy out clause. Almost always this is set way higher than the players perceived market value, because it is the club setting their value on the player, often to protect themselves from financial loss. The legal system is obviously different here to in Spain and means that a buy out clause wouldn't hold up in a court of law (not quite sure why). However a release clause would; the difference is rather than just having to meet a certain valuation of the player that a buy out clause requires, you also have to meet certain requirements to pay the fee such as being in a certain competition, or the current team failing something. For example Ryan Edwards joining Hearts for free because he had a release clause that activated after Particks relegation. 

I agree a release clause should be something added into all contracts, it actually can help the selling club not sell, I.e. player wants to leave but no club has met the release clause so you can tell the player he has to be fine with it because he signed a legally binding contract. Only downside may be clubs putting ridiculous valuations on their player making it harder for players to move and more likely to sign on free transfers. Might be interesting if a rule was introduced to say an independent assessor had to evaluate the player and then the club could set his release clause at a maximum of that number plus an agreed percentage in the ruling.

Just some thoughts but could potentially really help the Scottish game by stopping English clubs from easily poaching our players. 

Good post.

The player in signing his contract would be agreeing to his release valuation. If he thinks it's too high, he doesn't sign it until both parties are happy.

Unfortunately, it will not stop the uglies using their "bid low" tactics to unsettle a player. 

• Replies 970
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mikey1874

• rudi must stay

• tartofmidlothian

• Bauld

WoodenHertz
43 minutes ago, Tommy Brown said:

Good post.

The player in signing his contract would be agreeing to his release valuation. If he thinks it's too high, he doesn't sign it until both parties are happy.

Unfortunately, it will not stop the uglies using their "bid low" tactics to unsettle a player. 

Whilst not being able to stop clubs putting in particularly low initial bids, it would empower the selling club to say put up or shut up. This obviously could still unsettle the player but you can then assure them if the release clause is met they will definitely leave, and if they are desperate for the move they can inform the other club what the release clause is. There will always be shady dealings and tapping up of players unfortunately in football, but the release clause at least puts the selling club in a better negotiating position than without it.

Unknown user
1 hour ago, WoodenHertz said:

In Spain, well certainly in the La Liga, it's mandatory that all players have a buy out clause. Almost always this is set way higher than the players perceived market value, because it is the club setting their value on the player, often to protect themselves from financial loss. The legal system is obviously different here to in Spain and means that a buy out clause wouldn't hold up in a court of law (not quite sure why). However a release clause would; the difference is rather than just having to meet a certain valuation of the player that a buy out clause requires, you also have to meet certain requirements to pay the fee such as being in a certain competition, or the current team failing something. For example Ryan Edwards joining Hearts for free because he had a release clause that activated after Particks relegation. 

I agree a release clause should be something added into all contracts, it actually can help the selling club not sell, I.e. player wants to leave but no club has met the release clause so you can tell the player he has to be fine with it because he signed a legally binding contract. Only downside may be clubs putting ridiculous valuations on their player making it harder for players to move and more likely to sign on free transfers. Might be interesting if a rule was introduced to say an independent assessor had to evaluate the player and then the club could set his release clause at a maximum of that number plus an agreed percentage in the ruling.

Just some thoughts but could potentially really help the Scottish game by stopping English clubs from easily poaching our players. 

On the same type of wavelength, I've wondered if the SFA could impose a rule that all players leaving the association for registration in another country would be required to have a 10% sellon fee to their last club in the new contract. It could maybe be a condition of registration with the SFA when the player first joins, I don't know, but surely there would be a legal way of implementing something like this.

WoodenHertz
6 minutes ago, Smithee said:

On the same type of wavelength, I've wondered if the SFA could impose a rule that all players leaving the association for registration in another country would be required to have a 10% sellon fee to their last club in the new contract. It could maybe be a condition of registration with the SFA when the player first joins, I don't know, but surely there would be a legal way of implementing something like this.

Interesting idea, not quite sure how this would be implemented as it is the club that holds the registration of a player as opposed to the league who simply approve the registration. It would work in the MLS for example as all the players are contracted to the league but the player rights are held by individual teams, I don't think we should go down that route however. Also a mandatory sell on fee may drive down the initial fee paid for a player as the buying club are keen on paying as little as possible to make potentially as much profit as possible. 

13 hours ago, Lucille's Thirsty said:

I just a case of Liverpool being desperate for a good GK and Roma getting their own back for Mo Salah. Alisson isn’t worth that amount of money but he’s a fine GK.

Is Ederson worth that amount of money in your opinion? Because he was bought by City for 40M if i remember rightly and that was before the Neymar transfer which increased everyone's value.

Alisson keeps Ederson out the Brazil team.

Gene Parmesan
3 hours ago, johnmitchell said:

As for Pickford, I doubt Everton would sell to Liverpool for a start, and plenty Everton fans I know questioned why Pickford looked so good at the World Cup, and yet he throws a few in for Everton and costs them a few goals, his performances came as a bit of a shock to them. 

This sounds a bit far fetched given that Pickford won Supporters Player of the Year, Player's Player of the Year, Young Player of the Year, and the overall Everton Player of the Year last season. 

rudi must stay

Alisson is a huge improvement on Karius. Ye it's alot of money, but he's 25 and could be in the team for at least 5 years. Another good signing 

The Old Tolbooth
15 minutes ago, Gene Parmesan said:

This sounds a bit far fetched given that Pickford won Supporters Player of the Year, Player's Player of the Year, Young Player of the Year, and the overall Everton Player of the Year last season. 

I remember 2 goals that he chucked in last season against Burnley and Southampton, if I can remember 2 like that, then I'm sure Everton fans will remember more, plus I'm only going on what my Toffee supporting mates tell me, and I've quite a few! 

To be fair though, Pickford was brilliant at the WC, he didn't throw any goals in at all and saved England a fair few times with some breathtaking stops, much to my dismay. 

53 minutes ago, rudi must stay said:

Alisson is a huge improvement on Karius. Ye it's alot of money, but he's 25 and could be in the team for at least 5 years. Another good signing 

For a good goalkeeper you could get 10 years out of him if he's only 25

Sheffield United have made a record £5m offer for 28-year-old English striker Martyn Waghorn from Championship rivals Ipswich Town. (Star)

tenor.gif

Wrexham will get up to £1.25million from the sale of Danny Ward by Liverpool to Leicester City...sometimes the money does filter down

No doubt Schmeichel will be off soon....Chelsea perhaps ?

4 minutes ago, CJGJ said:

Wrexham will get up to £1.25million from the sale of Danny Ward by Liverpool to Leicester City...sometimes the money does filter down

No doubt Schmeichel will be off soon....Chelsea perhaps ?

Chelsea want donnarumma(sp) 

Cruyff Turn
23 minutes ago, Bauld said:

Sheffield United have made a record £5m offer for 28-year-old English striker Martyn Waghorn from Championship rivals Ipswich Town. (Star)

tenor.gif

:what:That league is so overrated and over inflated. 

Less than 3 weeks to go till the end of the EPL transfer window (that is for purchases not sales). 

Liverpool have done well. Arsenal as well. Not sure about the others. Should be a busy 19 days. 

But what about sales. Are Chelsea going to wait to get the £200 million for Hazard a transfer unlikely to be completed by 9 August the day after Hazard returns from holiday. 

Danny Ward, 4 wales caps aside has played about 2? Games Liverpool and about a season (if that) on loan to Huddersfield and didn’t play at all last season

Good goalie yes but that’s silly

6 minutes ago, BM1874 said:

Danny Ward, 4 wales caps aside has played about 2? Games Liverpool and about a season (if that) on loan to Huddersfield and didn’t play at all last season

Good goalie yes but that’s silly

he has played around 80 games in his career, most of them were over his loan spells with aberdeen and huddersfield. but sadly that is the inflated market now

1 minute ago, milky_26 said:

he has played around 80 games in his career, most of them were over his loan spells with aberdeen and huddersfield. but sadly that is the inflated market now

Schmeichel away then 

The Internet

Speaking of mad goalie fees, Angus Gunn has moved to Southampton from Man City for £13m. 

1 hour ago, Mauricio Pinilla said:

Speaking of mad goalie fees, Angus Gunn has moved to Southampton from Man City for £13m. 

Had a great season at Norwich and an under 21 keeper.

Could be a good signing.

Lucille's Thirsty
On 19/07/2018 at 12:47, RussAsia said:

Is Ederson worth that amount of money in your opinion? Because he was bought by City for 40M if i remember rightly and that was before the Neymar transfer which increased everyone's value.

Alisson keeps Ederson out the Brazil team.

Ederson was somewhat of an unknown quantity never had the sort of press Alisson had before his move to Liverpool.

I think Ederson is well worth what City paid even a bargain much like Mo Salah was both were under £40M and if you look at their impact. Well worth the money. Which IMO doesn’t mean that much in England. Most clubs are billion pound money making machines. It’s like us when a direct debit comes of our wage we barely even notice it now.

6 hours ago, Nookie Bear said:

I doubt Ward is any better than McLaughlin !

I think Leicester are heading for a fall. 

:lol:  Ward is a tremendous goalie.  

rudi must stay
6 hours ago, Mauricio Pinilla said:

Now that is mad. That's a fear signing IMO. Afraid of a player doing well for a team so they'll steal him even though he'll be nowhere near the first team. Hate signings like this, they ruin the game

Edit:  got that the wrong way round. These days that's not much, they must rate him highly. Interesting one.

Edited by rudi must stay

rudi must stay
15 hours ago, Mauricio Pinilla said:

Rangers are going to take numerous poundings off Celtic again this season. 

I think you may well be right

Nookie Bear
On 21/07/2018 at 14:17, Juanjo15 said:

:lol:  Ward is a tremendous goalie.  

I was possibly exaggerating but i hardly think Ward is "tremendous".

He's decent, but not a match-winner for me.

33 minutes ago, Nookie Bear said:

I was possibly exaggerating but i hardly think Ward is "tremendous".

He's decent, but not a match-winner for me.

True. Match winner in the Championship perhaps but not in the EPL. 

3 minutes ago, Barack said:

Moutinho to Wolves.

Another couple of million, in Mr. Mendes' pockets.

Class player back in in the day though.  

Just now, Barack said:

Still is, arguably. Didn't exactly light up the World Cup...but he'll be one of the better signings this year, if that goes ahead, imo.

Alongside Neves...

True.  Some ride Wolves fans must be having the now. 

jamboinglasgow
7 minutes ago, Sexton Hardcastle said:

Despite Roma announcing they are signing Malcolm it now seems Barca have got him. 

think he is moving to Barca too soon, Roma would have been a great move (though it sounds like it was down to Bordeaux cancelling transfer as Barca offered more money.)

The Internet
4 minutes ago, Sexton Hardcastle said:

Despite Roma announcing they are signing Malcolm it now seems Barca have got him. 

Sounds like he's IN THE MIDDLE of a bit of a mess there. 

Sexton Hardcastle
4 minutes ago, Mauricio Pinilla said:

Ha Hal

Sexton Hardcastle

Not sure roma necessarily need another winger. Another centre forward or dm would be a better fit. 

18 hours ago, Mauricio Pinilla said:

at least it wasn't an x rated joke