• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mikey1874

• rudi must stay

• tartofmidlothian

• Bauld

By the light
12 hours ago, Taffin said:

Say a championship club comes in though and offer a million and Aberdeen say 'No, £10 million', the player gets wind of the money on offer he may say 'happy to stay but pay me in line with your valuation or I'm handing in transfer request' and he'd be right to do so imo.

Exactly. 

12 hours ago, TheBigO said:

So whats the alternative? Sell our players below their value cos we cant afford same wages as Huddersfield?

No chance. You give the guy the best deal you can. Uf he signs the contract, its to him to honour it, no matter how good he suddenly gets! Whats a player thinking when he signs the contract? Ach I’ve prob found my level here, or does ge have smbition and know he needs to start somewhere and cut his bones, earn his move?

Seem to remember the Scott Brown and Kevin Thomson’s agent pulling this one in order to wheedle them out of Easter Road. Tried to set their valuation lower, saying if they are worth X then you should be paying them xx.

By the light
12 hours ago, TheBigO said:

So whats the alternative? Sell our players below their value cos we cant afford same wages as Huddersfield?

No chance. You give the guy the best deal you can. Uf he signs the contract, its to him to honour it, no matter how good he suddenly gets! Whats a player thinking when he signs the contract? Ach I’ve prob found my level here, or does ge have smbition and know he needs to start somewhere and cut his bones, earn his move?

Then you run the risk of unsettling a player and them upsetting the dressing room. You also run the risk of them leaving for nothing so you create a situation where no one wins. Unfortunately that’s the reality of the situation. 

2 minutes ago, By the light said:

Then you run the risk of unsettling a player and them upsetting the dressing room. You also run the risk of them leaving for nothing so you create a situation where no one wins. Unfortunately that’s the reality of the situation. 

So you just sell the player for whatever a team offers, because our useless league Chief Executive can’t get us a TV deal that would allow us to pay competitive wages? That’s the plan? No thanks, that is a shite situation.

56 minutes ago, Bez said:

Seem to remember the Scott Brown and Kevin Thomson’s agent pulling this one in order to wheedle them out of Easter Road. Tried to set their valuation lower, saying if they are worth X then you should be paying them xx.

Paul Hartleys agent did the very same thing 1st time Celtic tried to buy him. He gave it the old "if he is worth £2mill then pay him like a £2mill player". Romanov (officially) came in a few months later and promptly increased Hartley's wages along with CG. 

31 minutes ago, Chaps said:

Seems Simon Murray is off to a team in South Africa. Netting hobos 150k

Fecking hell it will cost him his whole wage just paying for factor 50 to play out there the boys face is just one big freckle

By the light
1 hour ago, Bez said:

So you just sell the player for whatever a team offers, because our useless league Chief Executive can’t get us a TV deal that would allow us to pay competitive wages? That’s the plan? No thanks, that is a shite situation.

No of course not but saying £10million when you are paying a guy in the region of £2k a week (complete guess!) is asking for trouble.

I completely agree it’s a shite situation but unfortunately it’s the reality. Celtic get the big numbers because they pay comparable Championship/lower end prem wages. It’s not the only factor but it’s a big one.

The point about the TV deal is spot on. 

28 minutes ago, Fraggle said:

Paul Hartleys agent did the very same thing 1st time Celtic tried to buy him. He gave it the old "if he is worth £2mill then pay him like a £2mill player". Romanov (officially) came in a few months later and promptly increased Hartley's wages along with CG. 

Yeah, but with no garauntee you will get abtransfer fee further down the line, that sort of way of working will soon see us back in the soapy. A player is entitled to the money he agreed to in the deal he signed. If said player goes on to improve, then his value to his parent club increases and so his market price does too. His wages don’t determine his market cost. If he signs another contract then fair enough, he should be able to expect a wage increase. The ‘pay him like an xyz player’ is just a tool used by agents to try and get contracted up players off to another club. All imo.

29 minutes ago, By the light said:

No of course not but saying £10million when you are paying a guy in the region of £2k a week (complete guess!) is asking for trouble.

I completely agree it’s a shite situation but unfortunately it’s the reality. Celtic get the big numbers because they pay comparable Championship/lower end prem wages. It’s not the only factor but it’s a big one.

The point about the TV deal is spot on. 

It’s infuriating watching good players leave for lower league English football, purely because they have more money than us, thanks to that incompetent piece of shit stinking out the corridors of Hampden. A guy who Peter Lawwel said this about recently:

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.bbc.co.uk/sport/amp/football/43016452

?

By the light
3 minutes ago, Bez said:

It’s infuriating watching good players leave for lower league English football, purely because they have more money than us, thanks to that incompetent piece of shit stinking out the corridors of Hampden. A guy who Peter Lawwel said this about recently:

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.bbc.co.uk/sport/amp/football/43016452

?

It is. My fear is it will get worse as the new Championship tv deal filters down leaving us further behind. I can see a situation where clubs up here rely on %sell

on fees to try and recoup something like the proper value of players. As you say, shite situation and only a big injection of cash to the game up here will help.

1 hour ago, Chaps said:

Seems Simon Murray is off to a team in South Africa. Netting hobos 150k

Some move for a boy working as a plumber in Dundee a couple of years ago. 

57 minutes ago, By the light said:

It is. My fear is it will get worse as the new Championship tv deal filters down leaving us further behind. I can see a situation where clubs up here rely on %sell

on fees to try and recoup something like the proper value of players. As you say, shite situation and only a big injection of cash to the game up here will help.

Yep. Not much chance of that however, when the CEO who’s job it is to negotiate the deal on our behalf has already slated the product and needs Lawwell to hold his hand during discussions.

By the light
13 minutes ago, Bez said:

Yep. Not much chance of that however, when the CEO who’s job it is to negotiate the deal on our behalf has already slated the product and needs Lawwell to hold his hand during discussions.

Exactly. It’s an embarrassing state of affairs. Now is the time to make the necessary changes with the league the most competitive it’s been in donkeys. Anyway that’s getting even more off topic.

John Findlay
13 hours ago, Taffin said:

I don't entirely disagree with you but I can see why people might feel a bit miffed. 'We value you at X but we aren't willing to reflect that in our wages'. That would annoy me at work.

Edited by John Findlay

Lucille's Thirsty

Alisson to Liverpool for £66.8m. Done Deal. Klopp ain’t ****ing around a problem position for Liverpool as far back as Reina who was awful in his last year at Liverpool. 

John Findlay
1 minute ago, Lucille's Thirsty said:

Alisson to Liverpool for £66.8m. Done Deal. Klopp ain’t ****ing around a problem position for Liverpool as far back as Reina who was awful in his last year at Liverpool. 

He's not even worth half of that imho.

Fxxx the SPFL
1 hour ago, By the light said:

Adam Rooney signing for Salford 

aye sheep season ticket holder at my work not very happy £4k a week at a conference club crazy.

chester copperpot
2 minutes ago, Ray has bus pass hooray said:

aye sheep season ticket holder at my work not very happy £4k a week at a conference club crazy.

Is that no the team bankrolled by the Man U lads?

7 minutes ago, chester copperpot said:

Yeah.  

Rooney gone is good news though, he's a decent player and glad he's moved leagues instead of Scottish clubs. 

3 minutes ago, chester copperpot said:

You’re right Chester.

If I remember correctly they all own 10% each of the club and someone else called Peter Sim owns the rest.

Fxxx the SPFL
7 minutes ago, Chaps said:

You’re right Chester.

If I remember correctly they all own 10% each of the club and someone else called Peter Sim owns the rest.

The thing is i don't thnik they have put mega bucks in the series that followed Salford the two managers fecked off because what they were going to be offered by the Man u lads to go full time was less than they were making from working in other jobs and their part time salary. Don't think the conference gets any sky money but some from BT sport but £4k a week no wonder clubs up here can't compete.

Edited by Ray has bus pass hooray
spelling

1 hour ago, By the light said:

Adam Rooney signing for Salford 

Aberdeen and Hibs seem to be losing a lot of decent players 

Fxxx the SPFL
Just now, BigAlim said:

Aberdeen and Hibs seem to be losing a lot of decent players 

yep big Laff next :laugh:

Ibrahim Tall
23 minutes ago, Chaps said:

You’re right Chester.

Peter Lim, same guy owns Valencia.

3 hours ago, Bez said:

Yeah, but with no garauntee you will get abtransfer fee further down the line, that sort of way of working will soon see us back in the soapy. A player is entitled to the money he agreed to in the deal he signed. If said player goes on to improve, then his value to his parent club increases and so his market price does too. His wages don’t determine his market cost. If he signs another contract then fair enough, he should be able to expect a wage increase. The ‘pay him like an xyz player’ is just a tool used by agents to try and get contracted up players off to another club. All imo.

Totally agree, was merely stating that Hartleys agent used the same trick, which worked for him. 

Just now, Fraggle said:

Totally agree, was merely stating that Hartleys agent used the same trick, which worked for him. 

Yeah, remember that. Tbf, I was delighted when we kept Hartley. 

I forgot Aberdeen are playing Burnley next week - value the boy at £10m people tune in to see the game, he plays the 2 games of his life exposed to EPL fans and then sell for £5m. 

2 minutes ago, Bez said:

Wasn't it Motherwell at Easter Road the game the day of the transfer request and he got an amazing reception that evening?

Just now, Juanjo15 said:

Wasn't it Motherwell at Easter Road the game the day of the transfer request and he got an amazing reception that evening?

Cant remember who we were playing. Think it was ‘One Paul Hartley’ that was sung?

28 minutes ago, Bez said:

Not the only one. If Romanov hadn't been lurking about in the background at that time Pieman would have driven him to Parkheid for the pitance the Tic offered us. 

Totally agree with your assessment that a players sellable value to the club is absolutely not attached to their contracted salary at that present time. When they move or are sold fair enough.

I've always thought we should Scottish clubs should loan out their best players to England. Yes it doesn't benefit the team that owns him. But for example in the Paterson situation we could have signed him on a 2 year contract with the option of a further year on the understanding that he would go down to play in England the first year. They would of course cover his wages. Then after a year we would have a guy who either made it in England or who didn't but we have them on a 1 year contract still with the option of adding a further year. 

If they made it we could demand decent money for a player who has proved himself in England.

If they didn't make it their heads wouldn't be turned and they could come back and knuckle down for us hoping for another chance down the line.

The only problem when i suggested it before was fans didn't want their best players being loaned out. But if they are going anyway for a pittance why not try something different.

7 hours ago, Lucille's Thirsty said:

Trying to buy the league.

Imagine the seethe if that was City,Chelsea or Utd.

He looked to be a bit of a flapper at the world cup.

Lucille's Thirsty
11 hours ago, John Findlay said:

He's not even worth half of that imho.

I just a case of Liverpool being desperate for a good GK and Roma getting their own back for Mo Salah. Alisson isn’t worth that amount of money but he’s a fine GK.

Lucille's Thirsty
4 hours ago, benny said:

Trying to buy the league.

Imagine the seethe if that was City,Chelsea or Utd.

He looked to be a bit of a flapper at the world cup.

Liverpool sold Coutinho for £140m remember :lol: 

Gavsy Van Gaverson
5 minutes ago, Lucille's Thirsty said:

Also made a reported £70m from the Champions League. 

They have spent a shit load but the overall net spend isn’t that large.

7 minutes ago, Lucille's Thirsty said:

Well spent that.

VVD: £75m
Fabinho: £40m
Keita: £54m

Shaqiri: £13m

182 million
Potential signings:
Fekir - £40m
Alisson - £66m

John Findlay
7 hours ago, Lucille's Thirsty said:

I just a case of Liverpool being desperate for a good GK and Roma getting their own back for Mo Salah. Alisson isn’t worth that amount of money but he’s a fine GK.

I'm not even sure he is a fine keeper. Liverpool would have been better raiding their city neighbours.

Tommy Brown
1 hour ago, John Findlay said:

I'm not even sure he is a fine keeper. Liverpool would have been better raiding their city neighbours.

And after his WC, how much would you put his price at, then remember the crazy EPL valuations on English players.

Tommy Brown
On 17/07/2018 at 18:37, Taffin said:

Say a championship club comes in though and offer a million and Aberdeen say 'No, £10 million', the player gets wind of the money on offer he may say 'happy to stay but pay me in line with your valuation or I'm handing in transfer request' and he'd be right to do so imo.

This ! Imo every contract should have a sell-on valuation.

John Findlay
26 minutes ago, Tommy Brown said:

And after his WC, how much would you put his price at, then remember the crazy EPL valuations on English players.

Well if they are paying 66M for Alisson...

The Old Tolbooth

Here's the comparison stats for the three keepers in question re the transfer, Alisson's stats are much more impressive than that of Karius and Mignolet. 

As for Pickford, I doubt Everton would sell to Liverpool for a start, and plenty Everton fans I know questioned why Pickford looked so good at the World Cup, and yet he throws a few in for Everton and costs them a few goals, his performances came as a bit of a shock to them. 

37316370_10157481902347004_2234906453179629568_n.jpg?_nc_cat=0&oh=a2f31229d5cdfbaecc94584855328c21&oe=5BCB189D

2 minutes ago, Barack said:

Don't think I'll really forgive Pickford, for his save against Belgium.

Nothing to do with England.

Just for stopping a move, that would've been arguably one of the best in any World Cup. Possibly, it would've been one of the best ever.

Goal of the tournament, yes. 

WoodenHertz
1 hour ago, Tommy Brown said:

This ! Imo every contract should have a sell-on valuation.

In Spain, well certainly in the La Liga, it's mandatory that all players have a buy out clause. Almost always this is set way higher than the players perceived market value, because it is the club setting their value on the player, often to protect themselves from financial loss. The legal system is obviously different here to in Spain and means that a buy out clause wouldn't hold up in a court of law (not quite sure why). However a release clause would; the difference is rather than just having to meet a certain valuation of the player that a buy out clause requires, you also have to meet certain requirements to pay the fee such as being in a certain competition, or the current team failing something. For example Ryan Edwards joining Hearts for free because he had a release clause that activated after Particks relegation. 

I agree a release clause should be something added into all contracts, it actually can help the selling club not sell, I.e. player wants to leave but no club has met the release clause so you can tell the player he has to be fine with it because he signed a legally binding contract. Only downside may be clubs putting ridiculous valuations on their player making it harder for players to move and more likely to sign on free transfers. Might be interesting if a rule was introduced to say an independent assessor had to evaluate the player and then the club could set his release clause at a maximum of that number plus an agreed percentage in the ruling.

Just some thoughts but could potentially really help the Scottish game by stopping English clubs from easily poaching our players. 

The Old Tolbooth
7 minutes ago, Barack said:

Don't think I'll really forgive Pickford, for his save against Belgium.

Nothing to do with England.

Just for stopping a move, that would've been arguably one of the best in any World Cup. Possibly, it would've been one of the best ever.

Yeah I'm with you on that one, it was a sensational move, and to be fair, a sensational save as well.