Hybrid Pitch

kila

48 minutes ago, graygo said:

And yet most of our Injuries happen away from Tynecastle or at training. 🥴

Mostly hard pitches some training pitches. Coincidence?

• Replies 4.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Thomaso

• kila

• Boris5115

• davemclaren

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

3 hours ago, kila said:

A reminder of the deterioration this time last year:

Sun 24th Nov 2019 - Women's Cup Final

1.thumb.jpeg.851c438dede460a803319da76f588132.jpeg

Wed 4th Dec 2019 - Hearts v Livingston

2.thumb.jpeg.57e80cc0fca2425d192a86e1611a3db2.jpeg

Sat 14th Dec 2019 - Hearts v St Johnstone

3.thumb.jpeg.d227b608a3e9d9cc10cc2db78e95555f.jpeg

Problem found, the women poisoned the grass 😂

5 hours ago, jr ewing said:

Not an expert, but when you walk on it you can feel how hard it is underneath and that's with only trainers on. 

I've said this umpteen times for a year, hard as concrete and forces your foot/ ankle over as you walk, yet it cuts up when over-watered before a game and players skidding around on their arses. No idea why, but it is not right!

2 hours ago, graygo said:

And yet most of our Injuries happen away from Tynecastle or at training. 🥴

To be fare we only play on it about 20 times a season and train away too, so the law of averages would say injuries happen elsewhere! Doesn't say there is no problem!

Find the best expert on grass surfaces at football grounds and ask him to look into the way the pitch has been installed, managed & used. Look at the report and recommendations then take whatever action is needed.

14 hours ago, DETTY29 said:

This seems like Colin Cameron and his weighted gum shield solution all over again.

There is a problem but no matter how many experts engaged and money spent, we can't get to bottom of whatever the root cause is.

Yeah, it seems obvious there's an inherent issue at Tynecastle which affects everything, maybe more than one. I've long wondered if it's light, maybe the shadows cast by our particularly tightly arranged, relatively tall stands prevent enough sun getting through for the grass to be healthy.

It's certainly not what we expected when it was redone, I'd love to know why.

5 hours ago, Smithee said:

Yeah, it seems obvious there's an inherent issue at Tynecastle which affects everything, maybe more than one. I've long wondered if it's light, maybe the shadows cast by our particularly tightly arranged, relatively tall stands prevent enough sun getting through for the grass to be healthy.

It's certainly not what we expected when it was redone, I'd love to know why.

Hardly any sunlight gets on the pitch at Liverpool due to their huge stands - but the pitch is like a carpet......🤷‍♂️

7 hours ago, Jambo61 said:

To be fare we only play on it about 20 times a season and train away too, so the law of averages would say injuries happen elsewhere! Doesn't say there is no problem!

Did you read the post I replied to?

11 hours ago, jr ewing said:

I'm convinced it's causing injuries to both teams playing on it.

25 minutes ago, Cruickshank for Scotland said:

Hardly any sunlight gets on the pitch at Liverpool due to their huge stands - but the pitch is like a carpet......🤷‍♂️

To be fair they have lots of those artificial lights.

41 minutes ago, Cruickshank for Scotland said:

I dont want to have to get a torch and cardboard boxes out but I'd bet it suffers less shade, has a larger care budget, and gets more light by being a couple of hundred miles south anyway 

On 10/01/2020 at 22:50, 18grantmc74 said:

That’s why it’s not fantastic cause it’s the same pitch. Top needs to come off 

As the Groundsman said in January the top needs to come off. Looks like this has not happened. 

2 minutes ago, Barack said:

I'd imagine that doesn't cost pennies. Possibly see it addressed in the close season. When hopefully, we're getting ready for the Premier again, and a "normal" post Covid-19/vaccination reality in practical & financial terms.

The top took a wage reduction, reluctantly. 

I’ll get my coat....

3 hours ago, graygo said:

Did you read the post I replied to?

Nah I have a life and dip in and out! I cannot really remember any long term injuries to away players playing at Tynie! I only care about our players anyway and this has gone on too long!

4 hours ago, Smithee said:

I dont want to have to get a torch and cardboard boxes out but I'd bet it suffers less shade, has a larger care budget, and gets more light by being a couple of hundred miles south anyway 

Get yer touch out! 😉

4 hours ago, graygo said:

A point I made previously regarding our lack of lights

1 minute ago, Cruickshank for Scotland said:

I think if the club are serious about leasing Tynecastle out (Scotland U21s, Scotland Women and Women Cups) they need to get enough lamps to cover the pitch. And get to the bottom of what the hell went wrong last year and this year (maybe related to the lamps).

A hybrid is meant to allow for frequent football and training. Ours is clearly not doing that anymore, so whatever the reason something has to be done now otherwise there won't be money to made from the SFA in the future. Hell they are better using Fir Park tonight ours is that embarrassing.

7 hours ago, graygo said:

indeed - they user UV lamps - big ones and lots of them. 

2 hours ago, Cruickshank for Scotland said:

I don't think the no of lights we have are anything to do with the current condition of the pitch. It looks really soft hence the reason it's cutting up so easy. It would seem the plastic fibres are compacted underneath the soil and not sitting just above the ground so the rear grass can intertwine around it and make it more durable which would stop it from cutting up so easily. Pitch will be wrecked by end of December going by the present condition. 

3 minutes ago, kila said:

Doesn't look overly bad... the grass is longer but it looks thicker than this time last year.

Maybe that's because our season has only just started mate. Its not what it should be. Not even close. 

I’d like the pitch sorted out before the FOH takes total control. In fact it would be a good idea to have a survey of the stadium including pitch and training facilities.

17 minutes ago, mitch41 said:

I’d like the pitch sorted out before the FOH takes total control. In fact it would be a good idea to have a survey of the stadium including pitch and training facilities.

With a view to what? Pulling out the deal?

7 minutes ago, graygo said:

With a view to what? Pulling out the deal?

No it’s just that our membership know what needs done because remember it will be FOH that will be running the show. No running to anybody for loans to help us out if major works need done.

5 minutes ago, mitch41 said:

No it’s just that our membership know what needs done because remember it will be FOH that will be running the show. No running to anybody for loans to help us out if major works need done.

Bought as seen unfortunately. 🤷🏼‍♂️

2 hours ago, Boris5115 said:

I don't think the no of lights we have are anything to do with the current condition of the pitch. It looks really soft hence the reason it's cutting up so easy. It would seem the plastic fibres are compacted underneath the soil and not sitting just above the ground so the rear grass can intertwine around it and make it more durable which would stop it from cutting up so easily. Pitch will be wrecked by end of December going by the present condition. 

Could be

I just want someone with a wee paint brush with a bit Maroon paint to finish the poles supporting the nets at the Roseburn end 

Maroon paint stops about 2 fit short from top, been like that for about 5 seasons now fs 

been here before
19 hours ago, mitch41 said:

Find the best expert on grass surfaces at football grounds and ask him to look into the way the pitch has been installed, managed & used. Look at the report and recommendations then take whatever action is needed.

Thomaso is already posting his thoughts mitch.

Edited by been here before

20 hours ago, been here before said:

Thomaso is already posting his thoughts mitch.

Yes I posted my thoughts on the poor condition of the pitch some time ago - I was told by “experts” like you on here there was nothing wrong with it.......🤷‍♂️

23 hours ago, mitch41 said:

That is a very good point. Well said.

been here before
36 minutes ago, Cruickshank for Scotland said:

Yes I posted my thoughts on the poor condition of the pitch some time ago - I was told by “experts” like you on here there was nothing wrong with it.......🤷‍♂️

Fire up a couple of my "expert posts" or we'll just assume youre talking shite as per.

2 minutes ago, been here before said:

Fire up a couple of my "expert posts" or we'll just assume youre talking shite as per.

You first.

If only weed were legalised, the LED growing light rigs would fall in price massively.

But surely the club can afford to cover the pitch with them? Mr. Anderson or FoH? It is a waste of a £1m investment otherwise.

It is a shame the ground keepers never got much more airtime on the documentary because a bit more behind the scenes on what they do along with the pitch monitoring tech would've been interesting.

38 minutes ago, jr ewing said:

I noticed that Man City's pitch lights cover half the pitch at one time. 

Even they can’t afford the whole pitch?

33 minutes ago, been here before said:

Nae bother. We'll asume you're doing your usual.

Easiest way.

So you insinuated I said I was an “expert” but can’t back it up....aye easiest way right enough.

1 hour ago, kila said:

If only weed were legalised, the LED growing light rigs would fall in price massively.

But surely the club can afford to cover the pitch with them? Mr. Anderson or FoH? It is a waste of a £1m investment otherwise.

It is a shame the ground keepers never got much more airtime on the documentary because a bit more behind the scenes on what they do along with the pitch monitoring tech would've been interesting.

Said it several times before. The pitch was fine for the first year and we have the same no of lighting rigs then as we have now. 4 large and two smaller units. Surface has a problem and while more lightning would be good  it's not the reason for the pitch being in poor condition. Top should have come off in the Summer but it would appear that never happened hence why the issues last year are still there. 

Perth to Paisley

Without stating the bleeding obvious the club didn't really get the opportunity to do what was needed or even what it wanted to do.

Maybe/Hopefully next summer it will resolved.

Edited by Perth to Paisley
Typo

1 hour ago, Boris5115 said:

Said it several times before. The pitch was fine for the first year and we have the same no of lighting rigs then as we have now. 4 large and two smaller units. Surface has a problem and while more lightning would be good  it's not the reason for the pitch being in poor condition. Top should have come off in the Summer but it would appear that never happened hence why the issues last year are still there. 

I realise we're going in circles now generating more heat than light on the subject BUT the top skimming sounds really small beer. 6-7mm? It feels deeper than that, in all senses

“We just take the top layer off, you are only talking about six or seven millimetres, and then put it back. Job done.

https://www.expressandstar.com/sport/football/wolverhampton-wanderers-fc/2017/07/24/getting-the-needle-to-be-pitch-perfect-at-wolves/

4 minutes ago, RobboM said:

I realise we're going in circles now generating more heat than light on the subject BUT the top skimming sounds really small beer. 6-7mm? It feels deeper than that, in all senses

“We just take the top layer off, you are only talking about six or seven millimetres, and then put it back. Job done.

https://www.expressandstar.com/sport/football/wolverhampton-wanderers-fc/2017/07/24/getting-the-needle-to-be-pitch-perfect-at-wolves/

“It stops it cutting up and divoting”

1 minute ago, Cruickshank for Scotland said:

“It stops it cutting up and divoting”

Not the skimming though. That's not a process exclusive to hybrid pitches. The artificial fibres below the surface give a stable and deep anchor for the roots to entwine and that's what stops the cutting up and divoting, as far as I understood it anyway

5 minutes ago, RobboM said:

Not the skimming though. That's not a process exclusive to hybrid pitches. The artificial fibres below the surface give a stable and deep anchor for the roots to entwine and that's what stops the cutting up and divoting, as far as I understood it anyway

Yes I know Robbo. Ours doesn’t stop the cutting up and divoting unfortunately 

Edited by Thomaso

6 minutes ago, Cruickshank for Scotland said:

Yes I know Robbo. Ours doesn’t stop the cutting up and divoting unfortunately 

Agreed. It feels more deep rooted problem than just the surface .... pun intended.

NB I'm just speaking as an interested observer ... I've spent lockdown months watching grass grow 😋