Levein ( merged )

rick witter

ford donald
4 minutes ago, jambopilms said:

We can't go and control games away with our midfield, nobody is capable of regular keeping possession for whatever reason. We rarely keep decent possession at home even when playing well. Until he gets a couple of quality midfielders in I can't see how anyone expected anything different. He has the summer to fix this for me. 

Before anyone starts he isn't responsible for every transfer in the last 4 years. And there will be the same folk moaning about how we didn't go to Aberdeen and control the game next week as if anything was going to change with the same players.

Yes,It's always somebody else's fault never his,he has overseen the signing of a lot of mediocre players,that should be a failure alone.

• Replies 896
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Section G The Place To Be
48 minutes ago, upgotheheads said:

After a nights sleep and some reflection I'm prepared to give him the benefit of  the doubt for the moment. The team was set up to get a draw and maybe pinch a goal on the break because Levein knows that our squad is very limited, especially in midfield.

However next season it will be down to him and his signings.

No hiding place as you say.

1. Who's fault is it we have this "Limited squad"?

2. What evidence do you have or can anyone provide that Levein all of a sudden will make these great signings this summer? Based on the previous 5 transfer windows which Levein was manager or oversaw as DoF there have been none so far.

No hiding place? a few people saying this but this place JKB has given him his hiding place. That daft poll that Budge and the EN picked up on and wrongly used as a voice of the Hearts fans have given him all the protection he needed. A poll open to anyone to vote on including undercover Hibs trolls and armchair slavers that couldn't find Tynecastle with a sat nav.

13 minutes ago, jambopilms said:

We can't go and control games away with our midfield, nobody is capable of regular keeping possession for whatever reason. We rarely keep decent possession at home even when playing well. Until he gets a couple of quality midfielders in I can't see how anyone expected anything different. He has the summer to fix this for me. 

Before anyone starts he isn't responsible for every transfer in the last 4 years. And there will be the same folk moaning about how we didn't go to Aberdeen and control the game next week as if anything was going to change with the same players.

We managed to control the game against Aberdeen a couple of weeks ago? Is the pitch so different? or is it our approach? Think it will be mostly the same players as a couple of weeks ago?

So whats the difference?

36 minutes ago, frankblack said:

Good post.

Sadly for some the pure hatred of CL clouds their judgement on any positives.  If he fails to fix the problems with the squad by next season then I think criticism can be justified.

It has nothing to do with a hatred of levein. It's a hatred for what the fans have had to endure.  We've taking one point from games after conceding the first goal.  It's a cheap shot at posters who are giving justified reason for their opinions.  Hatred of leveins football isn't hatred for the man.  

tolcross lad
1 hour ago, soonbe110 said:

I think Brandon would be established as rb if not for injury

I think you are probably right but he joined Hearts from Rangers aged 18.

12 minutes ago, jr ewing said:

I wonder how the players feel to go out to not lose a goal, rather than go out to win a game away from home. All very depressing.

Exactly what I said on the match thread yesterday. It must be soul destroying knowing we're going to bet set up like this for every away game.  People on here excusing this pish every other week and laying into the senior players yesterday for letting the team down. So  much for the motivational skills of our team of highly qualified coaches. 

11 minutes ago, Elmore said:

It has nothing to do with a hatred of levein. It's a hatred for what the fans have had to endure.  We've taking one point from games after conceding the first goal.  It's a cheap shot at posters who are giving justified reason for their opinions.  Hatred of leveins football isn't hatred for the man.  

If you look at what some idiots have been posting about CL, I'd have to disagree.  Some call him all the names under the sun, and attempt to discredit his achievements in football.

As for your second point, I'll debate fairly with reasoned posters but TBH there is nothing new to add that hasn't been discussed to death on the other Levein Out threads.

Levein's football at the moment is limited by injuries and the players he inherited from Cathro.  There really isn't anything that can be done until the summer.  Had we kept our best XI fit since at least January I think we would have been looking at a Scottish Cup semi final/final place and 4th/5th in the league.

The Old Tolbooth

I was in the Levein camp but now  starting to seriously doubt the guy, I've stopped going away from home as it's just eye bleedingly bad, and away games were always the best days out, it's not just at Ibrox, it's everywhere, he sets us up to try to not lose and play for a 0-0, rather than go and have a go and get the 3 points, it's rancid stuff and he really doesn't help himself. 

The proof in the pudding will come when the number of ST sales dip, maybe then someone at the club will be forced to take off their blinkers. It's a shame though, as I really want to defend him and want him to do well, but there's no defending the away performances this season, it's been shambolic. 

10 minutes ago, frankblack said:

and attempt to discredit his achievements in football.

Sorry, but can you please confirm what achievements you mean?

ford donald
34 minutes ago, Elmore said:

:spoton:

2 hours ago, Mars plastic said:

:lol::lol::lol: 

They’re 9 points in front of us ffs.

Dont twist my words to suit yourself.

In the context of what i wrote that is correct. I know enough about football to understand what Clarke has done and why. The only thing I didn’t put in the post was the standards Clarke demands of his players. I don’t know how that compares to CL however. 

Geoff Kilpatrick
2 hours ago, Elmore said:

Nearly twenty years ago?  His football is driving fans away.  Do you enjoy watching the football we've had for the last couple of seasons. This boring style will never change with levein. 

I didn't enjoy the last two seasons, no. That is part of the reason I want Levein to stay. We need stability, not another revamp.

8 hours ago, Juanjo15 said:

How do you get they have a balanced team? They where bottom of the league even after Cathro got punted? For their Boyd we have Lafferty, they haven’t anyone anywhere near the standard of Berra.  We have Souttar there too, Jones we had never heard of before the season started. God knows about injuries but again that’s just excuses.  Do you see them having a player the Standard of Naismith? Malumbu hasn’t played for months, he didn’t need this magical pre season and they also haven’t got the best goalkeeper outside Craig in the league. 

“All Clarke has done” is much much better than Levein, with a less settled squad, less money to spend, inferior standard of player and not just keep them tight they go and attack sides.

Where they were in the league is irrelevant. They have a balanced team in comparison to what we have. All of your points I answered in thenpost I wrote if you read it correctly

old school tie

I'd bring in Alan Stubbs. He had the measure of Levein and phoodle.

Lennon is also riding on the coattails of the side he built.

1 minute ago, old school tie said:

whiffy!

1 hour ago, gowestjambo said:

Can someone confirm if our Illustrious Leader during his interview said " He was slightly disappointed with the result" - If so he is alone! Most of us were raging with such a pitiful performance.

How on earth with that attitude can he motivate the team?? He is a Loser out and out and will never change.

He said “I thought we could have won the game today.

“I didn’t feel Rangers were at their best, we assisted them on many occasions by just coughing up possession of the ball too easily.

“Yeah, they had a lot of chances near the end but they always do here at Ibrox

“Too often we got into the last third of the park and the last pass or the cross wasn’t good enough.

“Okay we’ve lost 2-1 – I’ve been here loads of times and lost by more than that – but I did feel we could have done much better.

“The shape of the team was good. We frustrated Rangers and that was the plan.

“But then we wanted to counter with speed and accuracy but we had neither of those of those things on the counter attack.

“All we did was frustrate Rangers but not much more than that

3 minutes ago, old school tie said:

:berra:

1 hour ago, kingantti1874 said:

This is where I'm at

Levein has improved us from the shambles that was Cathro.

Home results have been good despite at times lethargic performances. 

He has been open about our weaknesses and has tried to resolve them e.g lack of pace, left back. We have been very unfortunate with smith-brown and Mitchell.

At times poor results can be attributed to a very very thin squad. The Easter Road derby we went into basically without a  Midfield.(yes he has to take some flak for that)

Off the pitch the academy is in incredible shape.. I'm speaking first hand here as a know a few lads in the system.. now very much recognised as the place to be.

However, that was utter shite yesterday..  far to many performances like that away from home especially in Glasgow..  it simply has to change next season or I'll be in the move on camp..

Good post. The CL haters seem to think the rest of us are happy with how things are but sensible Hearts fans can see the progress and the problems. If the problems still exist by the end of the year then changes at the top will happen

LochcarronJambo
28 minutes ago, johnmitchell said:

I was in the Levein camp but now  starting to seriously doubt the guy, I've stopped going away from home as it's just eye bleedingly bad, and away games were always the best days out, it's not just at Ibrox, it's everywhere, he sets us up to try to not lose and play for a 0-0, rather than go and have a go and get the 3 points, it's rancid stuff and he really doesn't help himself. 

The proof in the pudding will come when the number of ST sales dip, maybe then someone at the club will be forced to take off their blinkers. It's a shame though, as I really want to defend him and want him to do well, but there's no defending the away performances this season, it's been shambolic. 

I am beginning to feel like this too.... we werent going to change our league position in the last 5 games, we really did need to just have a bit more of a go yesterday, I am struggling to remain in the Levein camp now, can only hope recruitment is good in summer & we can then attempt to be a bit more expansive away from home but I have my doubts...... 

Geoff the Mince
37 minutes ago, frankblack said:

If you look at what some idiots have been posting about CL, I'd have to disagree.  Some call him all the names under the sun, and attempt to discredit his achievements in football.

As for your second point, I'll debate fairly with reasoned posters but TBH there is nothing new to add that hasn't been discussed to death on the other Levein Out threads.

Levein's football at the moment is limited by injuries and the players he inherited from Cathro.  There really isn't anything that can be done until the summer.  Had we kept our best XI fit since at least January I think we would have been looking at a Scottish Cup semi final/final place and 4th/5th in the league.

How many Levein posters do you have on your bedroom wall ?   :laugh:

chester copperpot
13 minutes ago, old school tie said:

:bolt:

Mars plastic
37 minutes ago, Deviskan said:

Sorry, but can you please confirm what achievements you mean?

He got us to our first SC qtr final since 2012. And we’re harder to beat. And we had a clean sheet record. Erm....we’re harder to beat, oops, already had that.

17 minutes ago, Hearts007 said:

He said “I thought we could have won the game today. Yes, but not with your tactics

“I didn’t feel Rangers were at their best, we assisted them on many occasions by just coughing up possession of the ball too easily.Totally accurate

“Yeah, they had a lot of chances near the end but they always do here at Ibrox If you don't get in their faces and stop them

“Too often we got into the last third of the park and the last pass or the cross wasn’t good enough. We didn't get into the last third very often and our last pass or cross is rarely any good. We can't even do that from a free kick or corner (Cowie take note)

“Okay we’ve lost 2-1 – I’ve been here loads of times and lost by more than that – but I did feel we could have done much better. Of course we could have done better, we were disgraceful

“The shape of the team was good. We frustrated Rangers and that was the plan. No it wasn't, no we didn't and it was a predictable rubbish plan. Even the TV punmdits knew that was what we would do

“But then we wanted to counter with speed and accuracy but we had neither of those of those things on the counter attack.and you are improving this with a 35 year old who can't run

“All we did was frustrate Rangers but not much more than that We didn't even do that

There you go Craig. Now, see me after class...

merseyjambo
1 hour ago, frankblack said:

Good post.

Sadly for some the pure hatred of CL clouds their judgement on any positives.  If he fails to fix the problems with the squad by next season then I think criticism can be justified.

Hatred for CL. I don’t hate the man. How can I, i’ve never met him.

I love my club but don’t believe he’s the right man to take us forward and no amount of transfer windows will change his footballing philosophy 

30 minutes ago, Hearts007 said:

“I didn’t feel Rangers were at their best, we assisted them on many occasions by just coughing up possession of the ball too easily.

“Too often we got into the last third of the park and the last pass or the cross wasn’t good enough.

“Okay we’ve lost 2-1 – I’ve been here loads of times and lost by more than that – but I did feel we could have done much better.

“But then we wanted to counter with speed and accuracy but we had neither of those of those things on the counter attack.

Aye ? And who are the speed merchants in that team ? 

Same old shit away from home and no ability to fix it. Not him and not his merry band of coaches. Fine, give CL another full season to fix it and do the transformation of the team (I don't like rebuild it sounds like we have a plan, like we are dismantling  a team that has grown old together instead of just buying utter crap , year after  year that has failed abjectly ) but the coaches are not delivering.  That needs addressing.

4 minutes ago, merseyjambo said:

Hatred for CL. I don’t hate the man. How can I, i’ve never met him.

I love my club but don’t believe he’s the right man to take us forward and no amount of transfer windows will change his footballing philosophy 

This for me.

There lies the crux of the problem, you can sign as many players as you like, but if you set out to play in a certain way, it will make very little difference. I am sure Lafferty and Naismith would rather be in the box popping in goals than running about on the halfway line!!

I am not sure that CL at this stage in his career can totally revamp his footballing philosophy. We cam only hope as another season of this away from home doesn't bear thinking about.

I live in hope , but............

3 hours ago, Elmore said:

Is that it?  I suppose you could include the Aberdeen game and a decent forty five minutes against Partick. Apart from that it had been brutal. Did you enjoy no shots on goal against Hibs at home?

Our team is still being developed and is no where near the finished article . We will have a better team next year.

To suggest that CL only wants to playing boring football is nonsense as demonstrated in the Celtic game.  

38 minutes ago, XB52 said:

Good post. The CL haters seem to think the rest of us are happy with how things are but sensible Hearts fans can see the progress and the problems. If the problems still exist by the end of the year then changes at the top will happen

What changes will happen though? Budge has already stated that if Craig is not enjoying his current role in the next 2-3 years then he can walk back upstairs so not much of a change is it? He'll still be in overall charge of everything on the footballing side and no doubt we will have Daly as head coach with the same scouting and coaching teams in place.

23 minutes ago, Mars plastic said:

He got us to our first SC qtr final since 2012. And we’re harder to beat. And we had a clean sheet record. Erm....we’re harder to beat, oops, already had that.

Looking back before this season he qualified us for Europe regularly, got to the Europa group stages by beating Braga over two legs, and then managed Dundee United and Leicester before becoming Scotland manager.  Regardless of your views on Levein, you don't get the national team job unless you are respected in the game.

When he has the chance to get his team together over the summer I am hopeful we will see us qualify for Europe and have a better run in the cups (depending on the draws).

12 minutes ago, NANOJAMBO said:

Aye ? And who are the speed merchants in that team ? 

Same old shit away from home and no ability to fix it. Not him and not his merry band of coaches. Fine, give CL another full season to fix it and do the transformation of the team (I don't like rebuild it sounds like we have a plan, like we are dismantling  a team that has grown old together instead of just buying utter crap , year after  year that has failed abjectly ) but the coaches are not delivering.  That needs addressing.

Tell me, who would you have played - another rookie youngster who might either have the game of his life or a complete shocker?

Mars plastic
15 minutes ago, frankblack said:

Looking back before this season he qualified us for Europe regularly, got to the Europa group stages by beating Braga over two legs, and then managed Dundee United and Leicester before becoming Scotland manager.  Regardless of your views on Levein, you don't get the national team job unless you are respected in the game.

When he has the chance to get his team together over the summer I am hopeful we will see us qualify for Europe and have a better run in the cups (depending on the draws).

Should you not be out helping your boss on the training pitch, Austin, or are you currently posting whilst pinching a loaf?

"WE FRUSTRATED RANGERS, THAT WAS THE PLAN"

Direct quote from Levein which sums up his football philosophy I am afraid.

davemclaren
5 hours ago, Deek said:

If it fails hen what do we do? 

Sack Levein, as manager and DOF?

Bring in a new manager who will have no funds to buy his style of footballer?

So far we have bought a 6’4” striker which is a Levein speciality and tells you our style won’t change next season. Oh and a 35 year old striker. 

You might not agree with me but calling me hen is taking it too far!!

If we do fail next season then Levein will have to go imo. Ann is backing him so her reputation will, rightly, suffer if that happens as well. Replacing Levein now wouldn't guarantee success either plus takes away funds through having to buy out his contract. Also, I don't think a third manager in one season is a particularly good idea. 

Loved CL the player, but think he's wearing too many hats and we've now christened him our Director of Football, answerable to himself - McPhee is Cathro's pal, brought in by Cathro, Cathro's gone so why did we not tell him to leave at the same time? What hold does he have on us, and what exactly does he bring to Hearts, apart from being the mythical dead-ball Specialist?

I'm moaning because of our gutless performance - any possible light at the end of the tunnel is the next oncoming train, AB or the fans are not getting good value for money - we may end up with a fancy new stadium, but we'll never fill it the way we're going :pimp2:

Liamthejambo
21 hours ago, maroonexile said:

Coward who is untouchable. 

All the fanboys are awful quiet after another gutless pumping. Where are you now?

For me the solution is a simple one for him , that’s if he cares , all this shit about it’s no his team is wearing very thin . He should stand down NOW , if he’s left to shape next seasons Team then god help us all. 

He is worse than bad , he’s a clueless idiot who is now causing the fans to walk away , am so pissed of at the situation I can not believe Budge doesn’t feel the anger amongst the fans .

Emotional blackmail is what’s going on here 

BobbyJenkins
3 minutes ago, mac said:

Loved CL the player, but think he's wearing too many hats and we've now christened him our Director of Football, answerable to himself - McPhee is Cathro's pal, brought in by Cathro, Cathro's gone so why did we not tell him to leave at the same time? What hold does he have on us, and what exactly does he bring to Hearts, apart from being the mythical dead-ball Specialist?

I'm moaning because of our gutless performance - any possible light at the end of the tunnel is the next oncoming train, AB or the fans are not getting good value for money - we may end up with a fancy new stadium, but we'll never fill it the way we're going :pimp2:

Dearie me. Cos he wasnt/isnt Cathros pal? What doesnt he bring to Hearts,l come on Im all ears?

Youre moaning cos you cant engage your brain properly. Grow up man.

davemclaren
7 minutes ago, mac said:

Were McPhee and Cathro close before they were appointed?

1 hour ago, Geoff Kilpatrick said:

I didn't enjoy the last two seasons, no. That is part of the reason I want Levein to stay. We need stability, not another revamp.

1 hour ago, McCrae said:

Our team is still being developed and is no where near the finished article . We will have a better team next year.

To suggest that CL only wants to playing boring football is nonsense as demonstrated in the Celtic game.  

It was one game. It mainly is boring football and usually is with levein. It's beginning to have a major impact in fans enjoying going to games.  The football has been rubbish for nearly three years and that isn't going to change.  If one games is evidence of it being good football, we are fecked  

46 minutes ago, Mars plastic said:

Should you not be out helping your boss on the training pitch, Austin, or are you currently posting whilst pinching a loaf?

Oh dear :rolleyes:

The Real Maroonblood
2 hours ago, johnmitchell said:

Good post.

1 hour ago, McCrae said:

Not quite as simple as that I am afraid.

In his interview before the Celtic game Levein said he had "so many injuries he couldn't defend for 90 minutes, so we will have a go"

So basically he set the team up that day not by desire, but by necessity.  After that fantastic result we all thought we would see more of the high pressing, get after them, pushing up the park set up - unfortunately CL has reverted to type.

My hope is that if we get recruitment right in the summer (A big IF), that we will be able to play more on the front foot again, especially away from home. The squad remains horribly unbalanced, I think for example we have 5 players on the pay roll who are natural right backs and have had senior first team game time there (Randall, Smith, Brandon, Godinho and L Smith), yet no left backs currently signed for next season. The lack of left sided players generally within the squad is irritating, the starting XI on Sunday only had Berra and there was also no left sided players on the bench either.

There has to be a recognition that this has been a very poor season and much improvement is required.

I have said it before but will say it again " this place is funkin mental"

If CL had sent the team out to get up the field and attack them and we had taken a hammering this place would have been in melt down for the approach being to gung ho ! What is being failed to acknowledge is that the team is filled will youngsters who have shown promise and the rest, with a few exceptions, are just a lot of total shite.. in short until the playing staff and recruitment issues at Hearts is sorted out this is going to be as good as it gets... and that is still a light year ahead of what Cathro was turning out. CL is not stupid he knows about football and what is needed to be successful on the field he just does not have the team to deliver... I wonder if he ever will? I will finish on this note if we had not had CL this season relegation would have been a real possibility he knew that the way to avoid that was strength at home and take what ever we could get away from home.

gowestjambo
2 hours ago, Hearts007 said:

If he thinks the shape of the team was good, its no wonder our performances are dire!!

Taking solace in the fact we only lost 2-1 s a Losers attitude!! (The true reflection was we could easily have lost by more)

gowestjambo
1 hour ago, Thomaso said:

"WE FRUSTRATED RANGERS, THAT WAS THE PLAN"

Direct quote from Levein which sums up his football philosophy I am afraid.

A plan which has failed time and time again in Glasgow. The only people he frustrated are the Hearts supporters watching the game!

3 minutes ago, jock _turd said:

I have said it before but will say it again " this place is funkin mental"

If CL had sent the team out to get up the field and attack them and we had taken a hammering this place would have been in melt down for the approach being to gung ho ! What is being failed to acknowledge is that the team is filled will youngsters who have shown promise and the rest are just a lot of total shite.. in short until the playing staff and recruitment issues at Hearts is sorted out this is going to be as good as it gets... and that is still a light year ahead of what Cathro was turning out. CL is not stupid he knows about football and what is needed to be successful on the field he just does not have the team to deliver... I wonder if he ever will? I will finish on this note if we had not had CL this season relegation would have been a real possibility he knew that the way to avoid that was strength at home and take what ever we could get away from home.

McLaughlan, Berra, Souttar, Lafferty, Naismith "total shite"?????  Try again.

ford donald
2 minutes ago, gowestjambo said:

If he thinks the shape of the team was good, its no wonder our performances are dire!!

Taking solace in the fact we only lost 2-1 s a Losers attitude!! (The true reflection was we could easily have lost by more)

“Okay we’ve lost 2-1 – I’ve been here loads of times and lost by more than that

The shape of the team was good. We frustrated Rangers and that was the plan.

:facepalm:                                                                                                                 

1 minute ago, gowestjambo said:

A plan which has failed time and time again in Glasgow. The only people he frustrated are the Hearts supporters watching the game!

Not just Glasgow!!

Archived