Levein ( merged )

rick witter

2 minutes ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

You're flogging a dead horse with your obsessive support of Levein.  Mentioning him in the same breath as Wenger and Pochettino is staggering. Arsenal fans have wanted Wenger out for several years and Pochettino has Spurs challenging at the highest level in the best league in the world. We are sitting 6th in a piss poor league having been 5th and 3rd over the preceding years. There us no indication, none at all, that we are progressing. Is that easier to understand?

As usual you miss the point. A huge part of your argument against Levein is that he has no tangible record of success ie trophy, as a manager and that he repeatedly lets the fans down.  I pointed out a manager at  the ‘ highest level’ with a similar record of success and you won’t accept it as failing or being unacceptable and or that he should be fired. 

Your argument is all over the place and just focussed on largely baseless reasons to support your Levein out campaign. 

And my support of Levein isn’t obsessive. I see regular flaws that may or may not be 100% down to him. An example is yesterday. Perfect situation to play a pressing game but we didn’t. Questions need to be asked, however I have no idea what the fitness situation was with the players. If we want to play a pressing game a la Celtic we need 12-13 players fully fit and ready to run for 90 minutes. Maybe Cowie, Naismith, Smith were not up to that as a midfield, who knows? 

What I do believe is that to change the management team again when they haven’t had  more than 8 months in the job is pointless especially after the previous head coach only lasting 8 months as well. I’ll be very surprised if Levein doesn’t have us in much better shape this time next season. If he doesn’t he will be gone. Don’t think that will happen though. 

• Replies 896
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, shaun.lawson said:

:rofl::rofl::rofl: 

1. Man Utd fans had turned well against Ferguson before the 1990 FA Cup run. Winning that tournament bought him time and support - and suddenly, they were transformed. By a manager who'd already performed absolute miracles at another club. 

Later, between 2003 and 2006, the fans grew frustrated... but not because they weren't winning anything. Instead, with the style of play. Ferguson sorted that out too, so they were right back behind him (and had never wanted him out to begin with).

2. Wenger revolutionised Arsenal and had them playing the sort of football which left their fans rubbing their eyes in disbelief at how brilliant it was. Then he and they were left behind financially - but as he's slowly lost his touch, so more, and more, and more fans have wanted him out. Rightly so, as far as the last 5 years have gone.

3. Before Pochettino came along, Spurs were a top 6 club, on the outside looking in. He's turned them into a top 4 club, which achieves CL football each season, despite a budget which is an absolute joke in comparison to all five of their rivals - and he's done it playing great, great football. He's done a wonderful job there. 

And yes, they haven't won anything yet. But for Spurs, 'success' = top 4. Trophies are an optional extra. Expectations may move upwards once they're in their new stadium - because it's that which gives them far more potential. 

And you compare these examples with Craig Levein, whose style of play is more like rugby, who's never finished higher than 3rd with any club, who's never won a damn thing anywhere, and whose approach to all away games is terror and cowardice?! Unreal. 

Hmmm... Honest question Shaun. How many of our games have you watched recently and what was the last one? That rugby comment... :lol:

3. Before Pochettino came along, Spurs were a top 6 club, on the outside looking in. He's turned them into a top 4 club, which achieves CL football each season, despite a budget which is an absolute joke in comparison to all five of their rivals - and he's done it playing great, great football. He's done a wonderful job there. 

And yes, they haven't won anything yet. But for Spurs, 'success' = top 4. Trophies are an optional extra. Expectations may move upwards once they're in their new stadium - because it's that which gives them far more potential. 

And you compare these examples with Craig Levein, whose style of play is more like rugby, who's never finished higher than 3rd with any club, who's never won a damn thing anywhere, and whose approach to all away games is terror and cowardice?! Unreal. 

So for Spurs success is 4th place (with actual trophies an optional extra) on a budget about 1/3rd of their rivals......but for Dundee Utd and Hearts it is higher than 3rd with a budget about 1/10th of their rivals?

Are you sure that is right?

7 minutes ago, shaun.lawson said:

:rofl::rofl::rofl: 

1. Man Utd fans had turned well against Ferguson before the 1990 FA Cup run. Winning that tournament bought him time and support - and suddenly, they were transformed. By a manager who'd already performed absolute miracles at another club. 

Later, between 2003 and 2006, the fans grew frustrated... but not because they weren't winning anything. Instead, with the style of play. Ferguson sorted that out too, so they were right back behind him (and had never wanted him out to begin with).

2. Wenger revolutionised Arsenal and had them playing the sort of football which left their fans rubbing their eyes in disbelief at how brilliant it was. Then he and they were left behind financially - but as he's slowly lost his touch, so more, and more, and more fans have wanted him out. Rightly so, as far as the last 5 years have gone.

I didnt compare them to Levein in total. I was making the point that most, if not all, managers have periods where they don’t have success and fans are unhappy. In the case of Poccetino the point was that Enzo’s main criticism of Levein is that he has no track record of winning things as a manager. I pointed out that neither does Pochettino but none of us would, as yet, suggest that’s a reason for firing him. 

It really worries me that " the fans" might ever get a chance to hire and fire.... how many managers per season would that be now?

shaun.lawson
2 minutes ago, Bez said:

Hmmm... Honest question Shaun. How many of our games have you watched recently and what was the last one? That rugby comment... :lol:

Away games recently? The Rangers game, the Hibs game, and the Motherwell game. Cowardice and fear on all three occasions.

And that rugby comment was at least half serious. There is zero creativity or attacking teamplay in what we do. No pattern to our play; it's all itty bitty. Berra himself has said we clearly lack identity as a side. And that doesn't just go back to Levein; but to what on Earth we're doing on the training pitch with what increasingly appear to be inadequate coaching staff. 

shaun.lawson
7 minutes ago, WageThief said:

So for Spurs success is 4th place (with actual trophies an optional extra) on a budget about 1/3rd of their rivals......but for Dundee Utd and Hearts it is higher than 3rd with a budget about 1/10th of their rivals?

Are you sure that is right?

:rolleyes:

For Spurs, it is 4th, yes. For Hearts, if we were 3rd right now (but the way we play and approach to away games precludes that possibility), we wouldn't be having this discussion. Spurs are 4th on the sixth biggest budget, which trails even number 5 (Liverpool) by miles. Over the previous two seasons, they've finished 3rd, then 2nd.

We're 6th on the fourth biggest budget, which is miles bigger than 5th placed Kilmarnock.

20 minutes ago, WageThief said:

Weird stuff.  We were top of the league at the time!   Were such results common at the time?  I mean, a top of the table team losing 7-1 AT HOME to anyone is pretty unheard of now.

Although it wasn't the worst result at Tynecastle that season I suppose anyway.

Score-wise it was by far the worst result at home all season. Last home game of the season was ‘worst’ result at 0-2. Only other team that beat us at home that season in the league was our near neighbours surprisingly enough. 

Annoying thing is if Dundee had only won 3/4-1 I think we would have won the league. 

2 minutes ago, jock _turd said:

It really worries me that " the fans" might ever get a chance to hire and fire.... how many managers per season would that be now?

In the last 15 months we would have had Cathro, Wright, Hartley, Levein and now Clarke would be the boo boy. 

Away games recently? The Rangers game, the Hibs game, and the Motherwell game. Cowardice and fear on all three occasions.

And that rugby comment was at least half serious. There is zero creativity or attacking teamplay in what we do. No pattern to our play; it's all itty bitty. Berra himself has said we clearly lack identity as a side. And that doesn't just go back to Levein; but to what on Earth we're doing on the training pitch with what increasingly appear to be inadequate coaching staff. 

In the recent home games that's not been the case. We have played some nice football at a high tempo, certainly would not describe it as rugby. What infuriates me is the mentality change when we go away from home and the negativity sets in, it's complete Jekyll and Hyde stuff. He really needs to sort that out fast.

7 hours ago, davemclaren said:

You might not agree with me but calling me hen is taking it too far!!

If we do fail next season then Levein will have to go imo. Ann is backing him so her reputation will, rightly, suffer if that happens as well. Replacing Levein now wouldn't guarantee success either plus takes away funds through having to buy out his contract. Also, I don't think a third manager in one season is a particularly good idea. 

Sorry love!! Hope you are well Dave! 

shaun.lawson
9 minutes ago, soonbe110 said:

I didnt compare them to Levein in total. I was making the point that most, if not all, managers have periods where they don’t have success and fans are unhappy. In the case of Poccetino the point was that Enzo’s main criticism of Levein is that he has no track record of winning things as a manager. I pointed out that neither does Pochettino but none of us would, as yet, suggest that’s a reason for firing him. 

Fair enough. :thumb:

There's another reason why all three were/have been given time. For the most part, great football - a clear part of their view of the game. United are 2nd, yet there are plenty of doubts over Mourinho among their fans, which only constant winning and constant silverware can tackle.

If Hearts are going to play this sort of negative beyond belief dross, we have to be very successful. If not, it leaves the fans with nothing to cling on to, and the manager with nowhere to hide.

shaun.lawson
3 minutes ago, Balders said:

In the recent home games that's not been the case. We have played some nice football at a high tempo, certainly would not describe it as rugby. What infuriates me is the mentality change when we go away from home and the negativity sets in, it's complete Jekyll and Hyde stuff. He really needs to sort that out fast.

It's interesting, isn't it? The home games show that, to some extent at least, we do have the players. You're absolutely right that it's all about mentality - but given any football team is only ever an extension of its manager's personality, then well...

2 hours ago, Felix Lighter said:

Indeed.But as has been pointed out already on this thread the performance against celtic was anomalous in that Levein stated prior to the game we didn't have the players to sit and defend for 90 minutes so he basically threw caution to the wind and went for it. 

Surely then that is even more of an indication that the squad we have are more than capable of playing that system, especially when all our top players are available.

10 minutes ago, shaun.lawson said:

Fair enough. :thumb:

There's another reason why all three were/have been given time. For the most part, great football - a clear part of their view of the game. United are 2nd, yet there are plenty of doubts over Mourinho among their fans, which only constant winning and constant silverware can tackle.

If Hearts are going to play this sort of negative beyond belief dross, we have to be very successful. If not, it leaves the fans with nothing to cling on to, and the manager with nowhere to hide.

Agreed. Big season coming up for CL 

Felix Lighter
7 minutes ago, Busby8 said:

Surely then that is even more of an indication that the squad we have are more than capable of playing that system, especially when all our top players are available.

Absolutely,  I agree with you.You'd have to ask Levein why he appears to think otherwise.

20 minutes ago, jock _turd said:

Not sure if serious. 

FoH Board will appoint a CEO who will be responsible for running the club. 

9 minutes ago, shaun.lawson said:

It's interesting, isn't it? The home games show that, to some extent at least, we do have the players. You're absolutely right that it's all about mentality - but given any football team is only ever an extension of its manager's personality, then well...

I think that’s debatable. A manager can train and drill a team all week but when they cross the line on game day then application, desire, motivation, performance etc are all individual to the player. Not much a manager can do other than hooking the worst ones.  An example being John Souter, how many times does he win the ball or take a pass then look forward and decide to play it back to Berra or Jon? I can’t believe that the coaching staff  are a) telling him to do that or not coaching the rest of the team to move to take a pass. I just don’t get it. 

5 minutes ago, iainmac said:

Not sure if serious. 

Who appoints members of the FoH Board? 

4 minutes ago, Felix Lighter said:

Absolutely,  I agree with you.You'd have to ask Levein why he appears to think otherwise.

Maybe we should hope for an injury and suspension-ravaged squad more often when he has no option but to throw caution to the wind again?

Really though, that's a crazy explanation if that's what he came out with ?

Full squad, play negative safe football and we bore the pants off everyone  V.  depleted squad playing offensively for 90 minutes against the top of the league,..... and we hammer them ?

He's got to be off his trolly or very risk averse amounting to being cowardly if he doesn't think it's worthwhile playing a pressing game more often.

BobbyJenkins
1 hour ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

You're flogging a dead horse with your obsessive support of Levein.  Mentioning him in the same breath as Wenger and Pochettino is staggering. Arsenal fans have wanted Wenger out for several years and Pochettino has Spurs challenging at the highest level in the best league in the world. We are sitting 6th in a piss poor league having been 5th and 3rd over the preceding years. There us no indication, none at all, that we are progressing. Is that easier to understand?

He’s flogging a dead horse?! ?

davemclaren
46 minutes ago, Deek said:

Sorry love!! Hope you are well Dave! 

Very well thanks, retired now and wasting some of my time on here! ?

davemclaren
33 minutes ago, iainmac said:

Not sure if serious. 

Is that right Ian? I thought the Hearts board would continue to be separate from the FoH board. Could be wrong though.  

1 hour ago, Geoff the Mince said:

Did you play professional pal ? 

Yes and to a decent level before I had a career ending injury. I grew up in a football family aswell my dad , great uncle , grandad and beyond all played aswell. Thats as much as I ever say on the forum though. 

Apologies though i was more venting. Its irrelevant to the thread aside from my experience and knowledge is why I have the opinions I do. Fitness is what I do now hence my opinion months ago that we were not properly fit after Preseason. Doesnt mean some dont have valid criticisms but I think some and some of the opinions have been ott , be it the passion they have , the contribution they make or just the lack of understanding/knowledge they still have the right to their opinion. 

7 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

Is that right Ian? I thought the Hearts board would continue to be separate from the FoH board. Could be wrong though.  

Retired?

I thought you were in your 50s D. 

Enzo Chiefo
29 minutes ago, BobbyJenkins said:

He’s flogging a dead horse?! ?

You got it!  Those opposed to Levein are basing their opinions on stats, league tables, evidence in other words. His supporters are relying on blind faith, hope and optimism  to cut him an unbelievable amount of slack. Thats where we're at right now.

Geoff the Mince
16 minutes ago, sadj said:

Yes and to a decent level before I had a career ending injury. I grew up in a football family aswell my dad , great uncle , grandad and beyond all played aswell. Thats as much as I ever say on the forum though. 

Apologies though i was more venting. Its irrelevant to the thread aside from my experience and knowledge is why I have the opinions I do. Fitness is what I do now hence my opinion months ago that we were not properly fit after Preseason. Doesnt mean some dont have valid criticisms but I think some and some of the opinions have been ott , be it the passion they have , the contribution they make or just the lack of understanding/knowledge they still have the right to their opinion. 

No worries ,. I was just being a bit nosey . 

Eldar Hadzimehmedovic

Watched a clip recently on BT Sport - it may have been Gerrard talking - and he was emphasising how important positive psychology is, especially for young players. He said almost all players will retreat into a bit of a shell if they are exposed to cautious, containment football and instructions for too long. Instructions for individual games might vary, but long-term damage can be done if players are exposed to messages about how frightening the opposition are too often. The very best coaches usually demand players look for the ball, rather than just the guy they're marking. They encourage players to take chances. Not always, Mourinho might be a notable exception, but almost every aspect of our club, from the increased support we need to justify the new stand, to the academy players we hope to sell for big bucks, to our need to be one of the best teams in the league every season, relies on us playing a type of football that has a lot more belief than we are seeing now. 

10 minutes ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

You got it!  Those opposed to Levein are basing their opinions on stats, league tables, evidence in other words. His supporters are relying on blind faith, hope and optimism  to cut him an unbelievable amount of slack. Thats where we're at right now.

"Unbelievable slack" does not describe the folk wanting a manager booted out after less than a year in charge, in a season where we've had horrific luck with injuries and the upheaval of starting the first quarter of the season away from Tynecastle. Especially when you consider that he took over shambles of side that ended last season in relegation form and had just been pumped out of the diddy cup by lower league teams.

Eldar Hadzimehmedovic

Just on the attendance thing. Since we completed the stadium in 97/98, anyone want a guess at the bottom two season average attendances? I'll save you the bother. 02/03 and 03/04. Probably our longest period of competitive consistency in the same period. This kind of thing doesn't just affect a few bams on this forum. 

Enzo Chiefo
9 minutes ago, Ray Gin said:

"Unbelievable slack" does not describe the folk wanting a manager booted out after less than a year in charge, in a season where we've had horrific luck with injuries and the upheaval of starting the first quarter of the season away from Tynecastle. Especially when you consider that he took over shambles of side that ended last season in relegation form and had just been pumped out of the diddy cup by lower league teams.

If there are no real signs of progress and, more worryingly, no clear end game then that's a good enough reason to change a manager. When it's a manager who has also been, and maybe still is, in the strange set up of our footballing dept, a DOF for 3 years, presiding over a shambles, then of course he is under pressure. We have also, under CL, been pumped out the premier Cup tournament by a lower placed team and have not progressed past the QF in any one of the seasons where he has been in charge of the football dept, going back to 2001. Don't buy the injuries stuff, we've got better resources than other teams who have lost , and crucially replaced, vital players like Moult. All teams have had injuries and we have also benefited from having an unbroken run of 8 home games in a row prior to Christmas. 

shaun.lawson
16 minutes ago, Eldar Hadzimehmedovic said:

Just on the attendance thing. Since we completed the stadium in 97/98, anyone want a guess at the bottom two season average attendances? I'll save you the bother. 02/03 and 03/04. Probably our longest period of competitive consistency in the same period. This kind of thing doesn't just affect a few bams on this forum. 

To be fair, that was surely hugely down to Pieman, way less Levein's fault? The support was increasingly furious at Pieman and alienated by his incompetence and arrogance from JJ's exit onwards.

Section G The Place To Be
19 minutes ago, Ray Gin said:

Perfectly ok for folk to want Cathro sacked after less time in charge though but not the Great Levein eh? 

32 minutes ago, Geoff the Mince said:

No worries ,. I was just being a bit nosey . 

No worries ??

Just now, Section G The Place To Be said:

Perfectly ok for folk to want Cathro sacked after less time in charge though but not the Great Levein eh? 

If Levein had us continuing in the same relegation form it would be reasonable to want him booted too. We have improved considerably.

10 minutes ago, Ray Gin said:

If Levein had us continuing in the same relegation form it would be reasonable to want him booted too. We have improved considerably.

But we haven’t though. We finished 5th last season. We’re sitting 6th this season and unlikely to finish any higher. So in that sense we have regressed under levein not went forward. 

Bear in mind one team team above us now, finished below us last season and another was a championship team. 

Eldar Hadzimehmedovic
14 minutes ago, shaun.lawson said:

To be fair, that was surely hugely down to Pieman, way less Levein's fault? The support was increasingly furious at Pieman and alienated by his incompetence and arrogance from JJ's exit onwards.

Yeah, possibly. Fair enough. Dark days. 

Chuck Berry

Sunday was an absolute disgrace of a performance, you only had to look at the starting XI to know what was coming.

Go Levein, please, just go.

1 hour ago, davemclaren said:

My understanding is that the FoH Board will be representing the "owners" (pledgers) and the CEO will report to that Board. There may well be a separate club Board too. 

Enzo Chiefo
16 minutes ago, Ray Gin said:

I keep hearing this "relegation form" from last season. We finished 5th ffs and were never at any stage in a relegation battle. You cant pick a few games and gross them up to represent a whole season. Our last 5 games were against top 6 sides , if 1 point out of 15 is deemed to be relegation form then CL has every chance of having us in the same position this season. I don't expect to get any more than 3 points, from our remaining 4 games . Will tgat represent relegation form also and will you be calling for Levein's head???

davemclaren
14 minutes ago, Section G The Place To Be said:

But we haven’t though. We finished 5th last season. We’re sitting 6th this season and unlikely to finish any higher. So in that sense we have regressed under levein not went forward. 

Bear in mind one team team above us now, finished below us last season and another was a championship team. 

In one measure but we’ve currently got the same points we finished last season and might finish the sason wIth marginally more. I bet we got most of last seasons points before Robbie left so we had dipped very badly under Cathro.  In my view we have progressed under Craig.  Still a heck of a long way to go though. 

davemclaren
2 minutes ago, iainmac said:

My understanding is that the FoH Board will be representing the "owners" (pledgers) and the CEO will report to that Board. There may well be a separate club Board too. 

Thanks. I would have thought that the CEO would report to the club board but FoH, holding the majority of shares, effectively controls who is on the Club board via the AGM or, if required, an SGM. However, we will find out the exact governance proposals soon hopefully. 

2 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

In one measure but we’ve currently got the same points we finished last season and might finish the sason wIth marginally more. I bet we got most of last seasons points before Robbie left so we had dipped very badly under Cathro.  In my view we have progressed under Craig.  Still a heck of a long way to go though. 

Everyone entitled to think what they like. In my book though finishing a season lower than the previous season is regression not progression.

Dress it up anyway you like no one in their right mind can say going backwards is progress. 

34 minutes ago, shaun.lawson said:

Agreed. We had SOH marches, demonstrations etc continually at that time. 

1 minute ago, davemclaren said:

Thanks. I would have thought that the CEO would report to the club board but FoH, holding the majority of shares, effectively controls who is on the Club board via the AGM or, if required, an SGM. However, we will find out the exact governance proposals soon hopefully. 

We will but it's kind of irrelevant to the post I was replying to. It won't be the fans that hire & fire managers, it'll be the CEO. 

8 minutes ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

I keep hearing this "relegation form" from last season. We finished 5th ffs and were never at any stage in a relegation battle. You cant pick a few games and gross them up to represent a whole season. Our last 5 games were against top 6 sides , if 1 point out of 15 is deemed to be relegation form then CL has every chance of having us in the same position this season. I don't expect to get any more than 3 points, from our remaining 4 games . Will tgat represent relegation form also and will you be calling for Levein's head???

Relegation form will represent a points/win ratio similar to the teams at the bottom of the league. This is what Cathro had. Surely this isn't too much for you to wrap your brain around?

9 minutes ago, iainmac said:

So who appoints the FoH Board? 

Archived