***Official Motherwell v Hearts thread***

GorgieBootBoy74

Thanks to levein our season is now over, fed up watching terrible football.  He clearly played for a replay with that lineup, then around the 70th minute mark we started to sit back... why didn’t we keep on pressing?  

Thank **** I’m not going on friday

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Mars plastic
1 minute ago, McCrae said:

No I am not happy, but I understand it’s a work in progress with the team.

We won’t be worrying hibs, rangers or Aberdeen anytime soon with him in charge. 

Can't bring myself to look through thread but no doubt this has been aired.

Hughes - it's over. All very well well when under no pressure but the second he gets squeezed he looks very beatable and it was clear Motherwell knew this too. All he wants to do is pass it back to McClauchlin.

Cochrane - CL seems to have a total blind spot for him, no matter how bad he's playing or how much he's being outmuscled Levein can't see it or sticks his fingers in his ears.

Callachan - just bewildered he could start ahead of Milincovic, worst player I've seen for a while and you have to wonder if it's a bit of the above with Levein

Naismith - head and shoulders the best player we have and God only knows what we will be when he moves on.

Levein - the "steadied ship" is now taking on water at an alarming rate. His stubbornness is once again in danger of consuming him. Simply refused to make the changes the entire South Stand could see.

Season - over.

5 minutes ago, McCrae said:

Name a current non old firm manager that has done better?

He's overseen a handful of European games and you think that makes him a "fantastic" manager. He's won **** all in 35 years in the game ffs!  He's a negative, cautious, risk averse, predictable and failed Head Coach who will take Hearts absolutely nowhere. But bash on with your ludicrous "fantastic" manager chat.

* Oh and by the way never was Levein's ideals more evident than the Bordeaux 2nd leg at Tynecastle where after a tremendous snatch and grab away win he reverted to type ensuring there was never a chance we would get a goal at Tynie, sat in, invited them onto us and the inevitable happened. The guy doesn't know how to win big matches, look at his abysmal record in Glasgow and his equally embarrassing cup record. He's the very definition of mediocrity. 

2 minutes ago, Mars plastic said:

We won’t be worrying hibs, rangers or Aberdeen anytime soon with him in charge. 

I have more faith, we already have beaten H1b5 and should have beaten Aberdeen.

22 minutes ago, amadjambo said:

Well that was sadly predictable. Really fed up watching this movie. As someone who has seen all our away league games this season it is really concerning that the management team haven’t learnt from past mistakes. 

I honestly don’t know how you can keep going to these away games and not lose your shit.

Respect.

If you think he is a fantastic manager.You are deluded.Out of the cup and possibly not a six top finish.Wheres the greatness in that

2 minutes ago, Hendricks said:

He's overseen a handful of European games and you think that makes him a "fantastic" manager. He's won **** all in 35 years in the game ffs!  He's a negative, cautious, risk averse, predictable and failed Head Coach who will take Hearts absolutely nowhere. But bash on with your ludicrous "fantastic" manager chat.

His track record in Europe is just one measure. He also has a great record against the Wee team... another very important fact.

i remember the original 5-1 , nothing boring about that.

1 minute ago, PUMPHY said:

If you think he is a fantastic manager.You are deluded.Out of the cup and possibly not a six top finish.Wheres the greatness in that

Or maybe am not a pant wetter and can see the longer term.

Just now, McCrae said:

His track record in Europe is just one measure. He also has a great record against the Wee team... another very important fact.

Just the 16 years ago since that highlight.

heartsfc_fan
5 minutes ago, feedthefox said:

Can't bring myself to look through thread but no doubt this has been aired.

Hughes - it's over. All very well well when under no pressure but the second he gets squeezed he looks very beatable and it was clear Motherwell knew this too. All he wants to do is pass it back to McClauchlin.

Cochrane - CL seems to have a total blind spot for him, no matter how bad he's playing or how much he's being outmuscled Levein can't see it or sticks his fingers in his ears.

Callachan - just bewildered he could start ahead of Milincovic, worst player I've seen for a while and you have to wonder if it's a bit of the above with Levein

Naismith - head and shoulders the best player we have and God only knows what we will be when he moves on.

Levein - the "steadied ship" is now taking on water at an alarming rate. His stubbornness is once again in danger of consuming him. Simply refused to make the changes the entire South Stand could see.

Season - over.

Pretty much it for me.

Callachan was awful and shouldn't be anywhere near that team.

Tbh a draw would've been a fair result. It was a wonderful strike to win it.

7 minutes ago, Hendricks said:

* Oh and by the way never was Levein's ideals more evident than the Bordeaux 2nd leg at Tynecastle where after a tremendous snatch and grab away win he reverted to type ensuring there was never a chance we would get a goal at Tynie, sat in, invited them onto us and the inevitable happened. The guy doesn't know how to win big matches, look at his abysmal record in Glasgow and his equally embarrassing cup record. He's the very definition of mediocrity. 

Funnily enough I think the best result he got in Europe  (in a single game, not the tie) was the breaking of Levein. The Bordeaux away victory where we hit them on the break on a backs to the walk display is how he thinks the game should be played wether we are playing away to Barcelona or at home to Queens Park.

1 minute ago, Hendricks said:

Just the 16 years ago since that highlight.

He also did very well Dundee United. 

Fozzyonthefence
8 minutes ago, McCrae said:

I have more faith, we already have beaten H1b5 and should have beaten Aberdeen.

We haven’t beaten any of the 3 of them in the league in what - 7 games?

Fozzyonthefence
7 minutes ago, McCrae said:

What notable triumphs did he oversee in Europe?

William H. Bonney
9 minutes ago, McCrae said:

nothing boring about the 4-0 win over Celtic game either. It's just that they are few and far between. 

5 minutes ago, Fozzyonthefence said:

Beating Braga to qualify for the UEFA Group Stages, no?  Can't recall if he was manager when we beat Basle in Switzerland but it was his team.

Famous 1874

Midfield is pony. Need big changes in the summer with higher quality players, Motherwell wanted it more than us which is astonishing considering there was over 4800 jambos there; if that doesn't get them up for a game I don't know what will, obviously the shirt is too big for some. 

in a nutshell we took exactly what we deserved out of that match- Sweet feck all

first half is about as poor as youll see from a professional team. we were lucky it was 1-0 at HT

26 minutes ago, McCrae said:

Name a current non old firm manager that has done better?

Lennon:pleased:

11 minutes ago, Fozzyonthefence said:

If you don’t know it must be getting near your bed time. Schools are back tomorrow. 

Just back in the house with my tea, beast of a drive. Thought we played well in the 2nd half but that strike was a moment of magic and that was the fine margin. If that goes over we take them back to Tynie and we go to Hampden.

That said, their first goal was a shocker from all involved, especially McLaughlin.

1 minute ago, Wham Bam Austin McCann said:

Just back in the house with my tea, beast of a drive. Thought we played well in the 2nd half but that strike was a moment of magic and that was the fine margin. If that goes over we take them back to Tynie and we go to Hampden.

That said, their first goal was a shocker from all involved, especially McLaughlin.

That 1 was disallowed mate Callachan to blame Motherwell first goal 

Fozzyonthefence
18 minutes ago, McCrae said:

If you don’t know it must be getting near your bed time. Schools are back tomorrow. 

**** off to .net pr1ck!

Fozzyonthefence
19 minutes ago, McCrae said:

Got me!

Schools are back tomorrow! Night night!

18 minutes ago, James1874f said:

That 1 was disallowed mate Callachan to blame Motherwell first goal 

It still slipped right under McLaughlins studs mate when he couldve put his gloves down, but yeah Callachan was on the post and should've cleared. First half we were a disgrace.

Fozzyonthefence

He was in charge v Braga, admittedly before Braga were half decent. Robbo was in charge against Basel which is arguably our finest European result (we succeeded where others such as Liverpool failed by being the first British team to win there). Obviously you can argue wins v Bayern and A Madrid too but ultimately we lost those ties. 

Best 2 legged result was possibly Braga, although iirc we were the seeded team, but we have the most boring  record of all Scottish teams - we never beat anyone over 2 legs we’re not expected to and until the Maltese team, never had any embarrassing shocks either.

7 minutes ago, Wham Bam Austin McCann said:

It still slipped right under McLaughlins studs mate when he couldve put his gloves down, but yeah Callachan was on the post and should've cleared. First half we were a disgrace.

McLaughlin done well to hit it on to the post was unlucky came back across him he was really unluncky the way it happened should have been cleared but agreed disgrace first half. Actually unlucky the way we lost. Big improvement needed for Friday.

Scared ? Of the shite NEVER

Optimistic? Nope 

Whilst the first half was a shambles - even with the wrong team selection you’d still expect us to hold it together it at the back so for us to be shambolic defensively was down to individuals being off it - in fact it was a shite header from Berra that gave their guy the chance for his wonder strike.

However, we did enough second half to win that game, Motherwell did nothing but what in essence was a fluke.

Fozzyonthefence
10 minutes ago, Wham Bam Austin McCann said:

No, watch the replay - McLaughlin actually makes a good save and clears it onto the post only to get unlucky. 100% Callaghan’s fault. McLaughlin at fault on the disallowed one though.

The Future's Maroon
2 hours ago, Bristol jamboree 10 said:

Budge has wasted money on that shit. Relegation on the way. Budge must go.

Budge made this mess. She is a disgrace and must go now.

That waster C L is Budge fault.She is in charge so she must go.I will not be renewing for that Hibs loving ——

The brains of a brexit supporter. Hearts are no longer no 1 in Edinburgh. Budge and C L made sure of that.Both out now

?

FTH 1-5

Fozzyonthefence
2 minutes ago, Jammy T said:

Whilst the first half was a shambles - even with the wrong team selection you’d still expect us to hold it together it at the back so for us to be shambolic defensively was down to individuals being off it - in fact it was a shite header from Berra that gave their guy the chance for his wonder strike.

However, we did enough second half to win that game, Motherwell did nothing but what in essence was a fluke.

To be fair, Berra was concussed so think we can cut him some slack (it was before the goal wasn’t it?).

1 minute ago, Fozzyonthefence said:

To be fair, Berra was concussed so think we can cut him some slack (it was before the goal wasn’t it?).

I’ll cut him slack of course - it was still a shite header - headed straight back out to the edge of the box.

Two single moments of very unusually poor defending in that game lost us it.

Shit happens 

3 minutes ago, Fozzyonthefence said:

No, watch the replay - McLaughlin actually makes a good save and clears it onto the post only to get unlucky. 100% Callaghan’s fault. McLaughlin at fault on the disallowed one though.

Fair enough bud mustve seen it wrong. I actually thought initially from my seat that it was a horrendous corner destined for the side netting. Couldn't believe it man we started so poorly and looked like we weren't up for it atall.

Milinkovic was a massive improvement and gave us drive and an outball. 

The margins were so fine, Laffertys shot kisses the inside of the post instead of the outside we're through. Shite like.

portobellojambo1

In the first half today we were almost non existent. At the game I thought the goal that was disallowed was OK but I believe that the reason given was because McLaughlin had control of the ball.  As for their actual first goal I still cannot understand why Callachan, who was on the front post, and the man the ball was coming to, let it run on into the box. In football terms it was a criminal act of stupidity. Again, by all accounts, the reasoning given is that one of the Motherwell forwards shouted leave it. It doesn't matter if your own captain or goalkeeper says leave it, if you are in that position you hammer the ball as far away from goal as you can and discuss it later. We did have a chance to either get the draw we looked like we were playing for or even win the game after we got back on level terms. Despite the possession we had in the 15 to 20 minutes and the difference that made to us and the game it was sad to see us almost decide that a draw was enough after about 75-80 minutes. We let Motherwell back into the game, and they hit us with a sucker punch, an excellent strike, but something that wouldn't have happened if we had continued to force them onto the back foot through to the end. It is, in effect, the end of the season, although there are still a few  games to play, and a victory on Friday night won't get rid of the disappointment. Think what we do have to do is focus on the league, this mornnig I had a look at the table for the first time in a while and I didn't realise there are three clubs very close to us, with games in hand. We need to get back in the habit of winning football games if we want to be in the top 6 come the split.

From today and last weekend at Ibrox I think that Harry Cochrane could do with a bit of a rest. He didn't look fully fit today and wasn't up to the physical encounters either. Milinkovic played well 2nd half but would he have had the same impact for the full game. He started on Tuesday evening against Kilmarnock and was absolutely awful. Callachan, sad to say but I think we seen the best of him in his first few games and it has been a bit downhill since then.

1 minute ago, Wham Bam Austin McCann said:

Fair enough bud mustve seen it wrong. I actually thought initially from my seat that it was a horrendous corner destined for the side netting. Couldn't believe it man we started so poorly and looked like we weren't up for it atall.

The margins were so fine, Laffertys shot kisses the inside of the post instead of the outside we're through. Shite like.

It's agonising.

Well on top, had chances and our play looked sharper and there was some nice moves into the box.

But we alarming tailed off too easy imo around 70 mins and they started picking up alot of loose balls which lifted their confidence.  Sums us up really. Not got the staying power in matches.  In hindsight the opening 20 mins of the 2nd half looked like a wee flurry, an expected response rather than the norm.

2 hours ago, Jamboelite said:

Tell me this is one of our new gif’s ??

?

My own creation. But I won't charge for usage ;)

Just now, Debut 4 said:

It's agonising.

Well on top, had chances and our play looked sharper and there was some nice moves into the box.

But we alarming tailed off too easy imo around 70 mins and they started picking up alot of loose balls which lifted their confidence.  Sums us up really. Not got the staying power in matches.  In hindsight the opening 20 mins of the 2nd half looked like a wee flurry, an expected response rather than the norm.

Spot on. 

Whatever Levein said at HT had immediate effect but then as we got tired we just switched off and let them have albeit a wonder strike that 9/10 goes over the stand. Baffling why he didn't take Harry off for Cowie for the last 15. Players were tired and someone like Cowie would have re-energised the midfield.

Re the last few posts - it’s pretty difficult to completely control a whole half of football either at home or away from home. 

There are two teams on the pitch.

Fozzyonthefence
6 minutes ago, Wham Bam Austin McCann said:

Unfortunately it looked like Callaghan thought it was going into the side netting too or maybe a Well player shouted to leave it. A horrendous mistake either way although obviously the latter should have technically been s free kick.

1 minute ago, portobellojambo1 said:

In the first half today we were almost non existent. At the game I thought the goal that was disallowed was OK but I believe that the reason given was because McLaughlin had control of the ball.  As for their actual first goal I still cannot understand why Callachan, who was on the front post, and the man the ball was coming to, let it run on into the box. In football terms it was a criminal act of stupidity. Again, by all accounts, the reasoning given is that one of the Motherwell forwards shouted leave it. It doesn't matter if your own captain or goalkeeper says leave it, if you are in that position you hammer the ball as far away from goal as you can and discuss it later. We did have a chance to either get the draw we looked like we were playing for or even win the game after we got back on level terms. Despite the possession we had in the 15 to 20 minutes and the difference that made to us and the game it was sad to see us almost decide that a draw was enough after about 75-80 minutes. We let Motherwell back into the game, and they hit us with a sucker punch, an excellent strike, but something that wouldn't have happened if we had continued to force them onto the back foot through to the end. It is, in effect, the end of the season, although there are still a few  games to play, and a victory on Friday night won't get rid of the disappointment. Think what we do have to do is focus on the league, this mornnig I had a look at the table for the first time in a while and I didn't realise there are three clubs very close to us, with games in hand. We need to get back in the habit of winning football games if we want to be in the top 6 come the split.

From today nad last weekend at Ibrox I think that Harry Cochrane could do with a bit of a rest. He didn't look fully fit today and wasn't up to the physical encounters either. Milinkovic played well 2nd half but would he have had the same impact for the full game. He started on Tuesday evening against Kilmarnock and was absolutely awful. Callachan, sad to say but I think we seen the best of him in his first couple of games and it has been a bit downhill since then.

Agree about the opener. Any competent player does what he has to. You just get it cleared. Why would you let it go at the front post? 

Even the disallowed goal. Randall, imo, should just go through that, it was more in his favour even if he had a shout. You need to sense the danger or read what could happen in the split second.

An opposition player running onto the ball unmarked and knowing you are more likely to get to the ball first than the keeper should make your decision easy.

i wish jj was my dad

Something in what you say D4. Our fitness needs to improve next season. I am sure it will.

2 minutes ago, Wham Bam Austin McCann said:

Spot on. 

Whatever Levein said at HT had immediate effect but then as we got tired we just switched off and let them have albeit a wonder strike that 9/10 goes over the stand. Baffling why he didn't take Harry off for Cowie for the last 15. Players were tired and someone like Cowie would have re-energised the midfield.

Aye.  Everyman and their dug could see we needed a change in midfield.

Im not a big Cowie fan but I know he'd have come on and gave us some energy for the last part of the game and looked to keep the ball short in our possession. 

I think it was the lead up to the winner that Cochrane looked dead on his feet trying to track a runner. Wasn't his fault mind. Adaos sloppy ball put us right on the back foot in our own half.

53 minutes ago, Wham Bam Austin McCann said:

I agree

Craig Levein insists there were no excuses for Andrew Dallas failing to award his side a last minute penalty.

But, the referee, who awarded Hearts an earlier spot-kick, failed to spot the incident much to the fury of Levein.

He said: ‘I didn’t see their winner coming as in the second, we controlled the game.It was a real sucker punch.

“I thought we had an unbelievable penalty claim for a clear hand ball, we have hit the post and Trevor Carson has made an unbelievable save from Kyle Lafferty’s header.

“I saw the handball and I was much further away than the ref was.

“I don’t understand the reason it wasn’t given. You would need to ask him that.”

Levein was also less than impressed by Ross Callachan’s comical defending which led to the opening goal.

Levein said: “For some inexplicable reason, Ross thought the ball was going out of the park and let it go.

“It is a difficult thing to understand but it was typical of our first half performance.

“I don’t know why there was such a difference between the two halves. The first half performance was terrible

“We brought a big support through here and I am really disappointed for them. They made plenty of noise to get behind the team but our first half performance wasn’t good enough for them.

“I thought we were really good in the second half and I was actually thinking whether we should try and change things and try and win it in those last few minutes.

“The second half performance was much better, but we were hit by that sucker punch at the end and didn’t really have much time to try and get back in it.”

so he's saying he didn't try and win it towards end?

11 minutes ago, Wham Bam Austin McCann said:

Spot on. 

Maybe Cowie is not fully fit. CL said he had some players that were struggling with niggles. If he was fit I agree..

Tell me why do professional players need a kick up the arse before they start playing?

Archived